Gopher softball 2021

Hrothgar

Reaction score
As much as many of us fans want to be optimistic about any Gopher team and their future, we need to remember that eventually good or bad realism does take over because it is always waiting on the sidelines.
I'd venture that optimism is based on having 9 hitters in the lineup w/ a BA of 250 or above, each with the proven possibility of getting a crucial hit on a given at-bat. Bad realism is maybe 2-3 proven hitters at the top and 4-5 at the bottom with a BA under 230, some much lower than that.

mngolf

Reaction score
I'd venture that optimism is based on having 9 hitters in the lineup w/ a BA of 250 or above, each with the proven possibility of getting a crucial hit on a given at-bat. Bad realism is maybe 2-3 proven hitters at the top and 4-5 at the bottom with a BA under 230, some much lower than that.
And in what is the worst possible thing to do, striking out. Nothing positive comes from an at bat with a K. Anyone can strike out, more is expected.

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
Last statistic I saw was the Gophers were leading the big 10 in home runs. Must be doing something right. Of course we would like everyone to have a .350 average or higher. Go Gophers
The Gophers, since at least 2017, have clearly and convincingly established themselves as the home run hitting leader in the Big Ten. This year is certainly no exception.

I think a question is what the power-hitting lineup comparison is against. If you are comparing against Northwestern and Michigan, we are a power hitting lineup with a lot of doubles and triples to go with our home runs. If the comparison is against Oklahoma and Arizona... well that’s going to be very different.

I too have been frustrated by all of the strikeouts, but clearly the Gophers’ coaches believe the lineup was built around players with home run potential making full swings. Many other teams have more players swinging for contact; probably because that is what their lineups are capable of doing.

FormerFatOL

Reaction score
The Gophers, since at least 2017, have clearly and convincingly established themselves as the home run hitting leader in the Big Ten. This year is certainly no exception.

I think a question is what the power-hitting lineup comparison is against. If you are comparing against Northwestern and Michigan, we are a power hitting lineup with a lot of doubles and triples to go with our home runs. If the comparison is against Oklahoma and Arizona... well that’s going to be very different.

I too have been frustrated by all of the strikeouts, but clearly the Gophers’ coaches believe the lineup was built around players with home run potential making full swings. Many other teams have more players swinging for contact; probably because that is what their lineups are capable of doing.

Interesting that ASU has been a home run hitting team recently too. I wonder how much impact that factor had with Carly being here.

Hrothgar

Reaction score
Thin desert air doesn’t hurt.
Neither does a short outfield fence. I noticed Georgia vs. Florida this past weekend and was astonished to see the outfield fences were only 190 or 195 feet. Jane Sage Cowles right and left field lines are 205. Isn't the centerfield 220?

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
I hope Minneapolis/St Paul is putting in good bids to host a 2021 regional. I wouldn’t mind it if either of those cities hosted a regional, even if the Gophers were not one of the top 16 seeds in the nation.

let'sbeclear

Reaction score
Here's a strange -- maybe not so strange -- tidbit. In the April 4, 2021, RPI rankings, all 13 SEC teams are ranked higher than the highest ranked Big Ten team (Michigan at #46, with Northwestern at #59 and the Gophers at #68). The SEC teams did get in a non-conference schedule, unlike the Big Ten teams. Of course, the RPI might not mean much, if anything at all, this season.

Last edited:

rowdaboat

Reaction score
Here's a strange -- maybe not so strange -- tidbit. In the April 4, 2021, RPI rankings, all 13 SEC teams are ranked higher than the highest ranked Big Ten team (Michigan at #46, with Northwestern at #59 and the Gophers at #68). Of course, the SEC teams did get in a non-conference schedule, unlike the Big Ten teams.

RPI needs to just be scrapped. Clearly can't handle when there's less non-conference like how highly it had Colgate in NCAAB.

#4 LSU 21-12 (17th in coaches)

#10 Auburn 19-11 (30th with 8 votes vs Gophers 32nd with 7 votes)

#15 Oklahoma 28-0 (unanimous #1)

#16 Villanova 14-9 (no votes)

#17 Washington 28-4 (ranked #4)

#24 Liberty 22-12 (no votes)

#26 Canisius 5-5 in MAAC

#33 Penn 2-2 in Ivy

#39 Fairfield 6-4 in MAAC

#42 Hofstra 10-6 in CAA

#45 South Carolina 17-13 (no votes)

#50 Utah 12-15

#52 Oregon State 14-14

#53 UAB 15-15 in CUSA

#54 UNC 10-12

#56 Louisville 12-15

#58 Kansas 17-14

#59 Northwestern 18-2

#62 Iona 8-4 in MAAC

#65 BYU 16-13 in WCC

#66 Detroit Mercy 2-2 in Horizon

#67 Virginia 11-18

Hrothgar

Reaction score
If the games don't get washed out by rain, this weekend is the Gophers' chance to make a big splash (sorry, bad pun!), but they need to shake the passive approach and play like their season depends on it, which it probably does.

Tucker

Reaction score
That Northwestern pitcher likes to laugh.

That’s cool, but, let’s give her something to NOT laugh about :)

4EverAGopher

Reaction score
Game weather not much better than here in Minnesota. Just something else us fans would love to be able to control.

Awful call at second on Kemmetmueller. Tag is around waist and right hand on bag. Ump standing right there. UNBELIEVABLE......

Making Williams pitch is helping us out. Now we need to score runs.

4EverAGopher

Reaction score
Well we are making contact with the ball, but still unable to get the base hits.

Fiser appears to be more on today....she has to be. She usually does not have much run support when pitching.

Tucker

Reaction score
I thought we should have got that call for strike three!
But give credit to that Northwestern hitter, she came thru!!

rowdaboat

Reaction score
Put Pease in please before we lose, Fiser a lot of pitches

Tucker

Reaction score
That Strelow at bat in the 8th was physically painful!

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
Put Pease in please before we lose, Fiser a lot of pitches
They probably will not even play tomorrow given the likelihood of rainout.

Pease must not be 100 percent healthy. There is no good reason to save her.

FormerFatOL

Reaction score
Holy christ. The umpire behind the plate must need to take a dump - trying to end the game. Pitches down the middle called balls.

Gopherholefan

Reaction score
Home plate ump is struggling this inning. Missed ball/strike calls and the forgot to cover the foul line on blooper to left

4EverAGopher

Reaction score
Just going to say, I guess Homecooking umpires are also alive and well in the BIG too. But the SEC holds the title for that. I will never forget that Groenewegen pitch across the middle of the plate waist high to walk in the winning run.

Last edited:

Goldy Gopher

Reaction score
This umpire crew is atrocious. No consistency to the strike zone at all and seems like they weren't even sure whose call the foul/fair ball was.

AZGopher8

Reaction score
Definitely some home cooking from the umps. No doubt it is worse in the SEC, especially if you a team from any other conference.

Really didn't like the call to bunt KK. You absolutely knew they were going to walk DenHartog. And Hansen didn't look good in her previous at bat. I would have pinch hit Costa after the walk to Natalie.

rowdaboat

Reaction score
Don't get why it's taking five minutes to sort out a substitution mistake

Top Bottom