Gopher softball 2021

Tucker

Reaction score
Thursday morning
9am- vaccine
9:20- Gopher softball v Rutgers

the logistical issues are taxing me to the max!

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
I am expecting the Gophers to experiment with some not-insignificant lineup changes against Rutgers and Michigan State this weekend. I will be disappointed if I do not see some just that tomorrow.

Relatedly, their first week’s games were, in whole, probably the most exciting and competitive of all the Big Ten teams. I expect significantly less exciting and competitive games this week. If they are as exciting as week one’s games were, that obviously portends badly for the remainder of the Gopher softball season.

MRJ

Reaction score
More of the same. DenHartog takes called strike three with two runners in scoring position and one out, effectively killing the inning. In past years, she would have driven home at least one in that situation.

This team can't get out of their own way so far in 2021.

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
Same lineup. Smh

I’m disappointed and actually a little surprised. I guess, on the plus side, with that information we can now prepare ourselves for fun, close, competitive, low-scoring games this weekend with (check’s notes) Rutgers and Michigan State?

It is now clear that these underclassmen are going to have to take spots from the upperclassman by wowing people with their game performances in the batter’s box. And, they are not going to get too many chances in game situations, so when they get them, they better hit the ball square and drive it.

4EverAGopher

Reaction score
Well, 5 or 6 runners left on base already in this game. Just cannot score for Fiser.

With the exact same lineup as two weeks ago, it does appear this coaching staff has their work cut out for them. Unfortunately, this program does need rebuilding.

Hope this game ends in Gopher's favor.

4EverAGopher

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, FIser has had the same results in the past. Gophers score giving them the lead and then she comes back out and gives up a run or two right after that. She must lose that mental toughness for a batter or two. Too bad.

mngolf

Reaction score
The non-played can't do worse. Literally. Why not give them the chance for a whole game?

MRJ

Reaction score
What's most disappointing is that it's the veterans who are letting the team down; players who should be stepping up simply aren't.

That leaves the rookies with too much pressure to perform and they're not ready.

mngolf

Reaction score
Well finally a few hits combined with aggressive running and a couple good fortune, gives some breathing room. Wish they'd have been aggressive 2wks ago.

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
Good, competitive, nail-biting softball. What can be better sports-entertainment than that?

By-the-way, Kinch is showing up to play today.

mngolf

Reaction score
This more how I expect games to go. It's still Rutgers but keep it going.

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
Bats are starting to come alive !
The 2021 Gophers are just not going to be the team that puts up Oklahoma-style offensive numbers. But, they can win a lot of games through strength and durability of our pitchers, timely hitting, occasional outbursts of power, and utilizing speed through base-stealing. That should be good enough for them to contend for the Big Ten title and be rewarded with our 8th consecutive NCAA tournament invitation.

Tucker

Reaction score
The 2021 Gophers are just not going to be the team that puts up Oklahoma-style offensive numbers. But, they can win a lot of games through strength and durability of our pitchers, timely hitting, occasional outbursts of power, and utilizing speed through base-stealing. That should be good enough for them to contend for the Big Ten title and be rewarded with our 8th consecutive NCAA tournament invitation.

Yes, I think this is very possible as well. I’m not too surprised the coaches did not mess much with the lineup after only one weekend, even if it was a 6 game weekend! And even though they did not impress.

Also, I want to remind folks about Brandt. She’s gone through three coaches and they all seem to want her on the field...at pitcher, centerfield, shortstop no less. I actually think it’s interesting that despite always being well below the Mendoza line she continually seems to convince the coaches that she is a ballplayer :)

I hope she comes through with a positive finish to her Gopher career.

Hrothgar

Reaction score
So far the Gophers pitching has been solid, but the hitting remains feeble. I believe in game 1 against Rutgers we had about 6 walks in the 1st 4 innings but didn't drive in any of them. Kinda the same in game 2. Altogether 3 or 4 timely extra base hits and both games could've been run-rule victories. Fiser's unfortunate bottom of the 6th, which started I believe on an error (the streaming was so bad I couldn't see it), would never even have been played with some solid hitting.

Imo Brandt has played her best ball as a starting left fielder, where she made great catches and throws. On a strong team she should be in left field & batting ninth.

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
So far the Gophers pitching has been solid, but the hitting remains feeble. I believe in game 1 against Rutgers we had about 6 walks in the 1st 4 innings but didn't drive in any of them. Kinda the same in game 2. Altogether 3 or 4 timely extra base hits and both games could've been run-rule victories. Fiser's unfortunate bottom of the 6th, which started I believe on an error (the streaming was so bad I couldn't see it), would never even have been played with some solid hitting.

Imo Brandt has played her best ball as a starting left fielder, where she made great catches and throws. On a strong team she should be in left field & batting ninth.
It’s early in the season but Northwestern looks like that team may be the real deal. Uh oh.

4EverAGopher

Reaction score
It appears that some feel the underclassmen are NOT READY to be put into the lineup. Not playing them at all this season means they will be READY NEXT SEASON? I for one do not think so.

I also wonder at times how much a new Batting Coach effects a player from season to season? Some of these players have seen 2 or 3 for sure.

Right now, if the coaching staff in their minds have the best strategy in both pitching and the starting lineup for this team to win, we are in for a long season. I'm afraid it would even be longer, if we were playing outside of the BIG.

Another thing, we have not seen much of any other pitchers outside of Pease and Fiser since last season. Got to admit that is not good either.

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
It appears that some feel the underclassmen are NOT READY to be put into the lineup. Not playing them at all this season means they will be READY NEXT SEASON? I for one do not think so.

I also wonder at times how much a new Batting Coach effects a player from season to season? Some of these players have seen 2 or 3 for sure.

Right now, if the coaching staff in their minds have the best strategy in both pitching and the starting lineup for this team to win, we are in for a long season. I'm afraid it would even be longer, if we were playing outside of the BIG.

Another thing, we have not seen much of any other pitchers outside of Pease and Fiser since last season. Got to admit that is not good either.

And, while we seem to be in a complaining mood, why are there no 2021 stats on the Gophersports website? I need that information.

The 2021 roster is a much bigger effective roster than we are had before (some previous rosters have carried numerous long-term “injured” players while also just being numerically smaller) so that causes more players we would like to see get to have a some chances not get those chances. I, for one, would really like to see Evans, Costa, Cox, and Ehlke among many others get more game-time swings... or game-time swings at all.

The pitching issue is probably a little tougher. I very much would like to see Dueck, Jones, and Hollifield on the mound more, but I am sure Fiser and Pease can claim that they want the ball and they deserve the ball and it is hard to argue with them I guess. They are putting it all out there on the mound for the benefit of the team... I will give those two performers that. Fiser is so strong and such an asset to the Gopher program and Pease has clearly been statistically the best player on the team so far this year.

Hrothgar

Reaction score
And, while we seem to be in a complaining mood, why are there no 2021 stats on the Gophersports website? I need that information.

The 2021 roster is a much bigger effective roster than we are had before (some previous rosters have carried numerous long-term “injured” players while also just being numerically smaller) so that causes more players we would like to see get to have a some chances not get those chances. I, for one, would really like to see Evans, Costa, Cox, and Ehlke among many others get more game-time swings... or game-time swings at all.

The pitching issue is probably a little tougher. I very much would like to see Dueck, Jones, and Hollifield on the mound more, but I am sure Fiser and Pease can claim that they want the ball and they deserve the ball and it is hard to argue with them I guess. They are putting it all out there on the mound for the benefit of the team... I will give those two performers that. Fiser is so strong and such an asset to the Gopher program and Pease has clearly been statistically the best player on the team so far this year.
Some of the first-year players may be really good (hopefully they are!), but rookies shine best when there's a corps of veterans leading the way. So far the veterans haven't performed by driving in runs. If they had, the Gophers could be undefeated at this point. So far, the Gophers can pitch and they can field, but they don't hit. A really good team would have no major problem hitting the BIG pitching seen so far.

mngolf

Reaction score
Just looked at the stats. .207 batting avg which is good for 10th. And we haven't played the best teams yet. How do they expect to get playing time for the underclassmen if they're not playing now? How about mix one in each game prior to playing the better teams?

AZGopher8

Reaction score
Some of the first-year players may be really good (hopefully they are!), but rookies shine best when there's a corps of veterans leading the way. So far the veterans haven't performed by driving in runs. If they had, the Gophers could be undefeated at this point. So far, the Gophers can pitch and they can field, but they don't hit. A really good team would have no major problem hitting the BIG pitching seen so far.
Agreed! And when the veterans aren't hitting and no change in the lineup results, competition is removed from the team. I am certainly not saying the veterans are not trying, but when you know you are competing for playing time, it is amazing the level players will reach. That seems to be missing here.

I want the younger players to know they can compete in practice and games for more playing time and the veterans to know that if they are not producing, there is someone behind them ready to step in. That is how you get the greatest result on the field.

With a team average of .207 against the teams we have faced, with the largest roster I can ever remember, you should be instilling a healthy competitive attitude in your team.

Last edited:

Hrothgar

Reaction score
Interesting, Junc1929. A team ERA of 1.15 and still the Gophers have lost 3 games. Remindful of Bob Gibson pitching for the 1969 St. Louis Cardinals. He had a season-long ERA of 1.05 I believe and still lost 9 games. How do these things happen?

4EverAGopher

Reaction score
I am sure that many of us will admit at one time or another we felt that the coaching staff the last few seasons needed more addressing. BUT...maybe just maybe that previous staff was getting the BEST OUT OF THE PLAYERS compared to what seems a "softer" coaching approach this season. Maybe we need to keep in consideration "none of them" have ever been a Head Coach Or, I could be wrong on all of this speculation.

When it comes to batting, two of these Veterans in my opinion have reached their peak prior to this season. While three or four others are absolutely not performing at the top of their ability

I will say it again, our first base transfer has not given us much to hoot and holler about either. Is there a rookie that could get playing time at first base? I know Hansen played there last season.

I also agree with utilizing our rookies one at a time instead of a Veteran each game. Seriously, there is no where to go but up from here.

Desire to win comes from within. These Veterans should be suppplying that and need to step it up.

Top Bottom