Gopher Softball 2020

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
I
So, four of the seniors are returning.

Still waiting on Partain and Krueger at this point.

It would be great if we could get the whole group back for one more year, especially MaKenna for obvious reasons.

Assuming Brandner can get back into the fold, the team will look pretty darn good next year.
I admit this is total “tea-leaf reading” but if the Gophers are accepting all of these Senior’s back, I am not optimistic about Brandner’s return. I assume they think they may have “lineup-space.”

This weird situation does have the effect of balancing out our classes somewhat. The Senior class next year would have been tiny, at best (absent any transfers) and potentially nonexistent from a batting or pitching perspective (excluding base-running).

MRJ

Reaction score
I

I admit this is total “tea-leaf reading” but if the Gophers are accepting all of these Senior’s back, I am not optimistic about Brandner’s return. I assume they think they may have “lineup-space.

This weird situation does have the effect of balancing out our classes somewhat. The Senior class next year would have been tiny, at best (absent any transfers) and potentially nonexistent from a batting or pitching perspective (excluding base-running).
I wouldn't assume anything close to that at this point, mainly because the U already stated that they would welcome the seniors back, but wouldn't have scholarship money available for them.

In other words, they'd have to pay their own way due to scholarship commitments to other players and you can bet Brandner is getting the full amount she was going to get regardless.

There will be plenty of room for Brandner if she wants to return and is healthy. Yes, the roster will be bigger. But it'll be that way across the board in college softball next year if seniors from this year return.

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
I wouldn't assume anything close to that at this point, mainly because the U already stated that they would welcome the seniors back, but wouldn't have scholarship money available for them.

In other words, they'd have to pay their own way due to scholarship commitments to other players and you can bet Brandner is getting the full amount she was going to get regardless.

There will be plenty of room for Brandner if she wants to return and is healthy. Yes, the roster will be bigger. But it'll be that way across the board in college softball next year if seniors from this year return.
I sure hope you are right. Brandner is such a critical piece of our lineup to have any real potency at all against average to better than average pitching. But maybe this huge class of freshmen hitters can assist in changing that as well for the 2021 season.

Now we just have to hope the CoronaVirus doesn’t knock out next season as well.

Jaydee

Reaction score
That’s quite a gut-punch to these players, considering the past 6 weeks. Especially since most of the seniors just committed to return next year.

rugger14

Reaction score
That’s quite a gut-punch to these players, considering the past 6 weeks. Especially since most of the seniors just committed to return next year.
Think positive. Maybe Partain will be back now that Jamie is gone!

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
Arg!!! Even more emotional turmoil (2017 [Allister],2018[Lindaman], 2020 [Brandner]) for a program like this just can’t be good. These poor women on that team on a emotional roller coaster!

While I never loved all of Jamie’s coaching style, I am on record, in writing, assuming that she would provide long term stability to our program; which to me is the single most underrated/under-appreciated positive aspect for a college sports team to have in a head coach... and now this. I was so wrong in putting my faith in her upper midwestern background! I so misjudged her.

Jaydee

Reaction score
I think she’s a good coach and I don’t begrudge people for trying to advance their careers. But 4th school in 5 years? That’s not a good look.

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
I forgot to mention the emotional turmoil of CoronaVirus; although I guess all teams are equal in having to deal with that.

And I thought Katie Reitkovich Bowser was good too. I assumed she was ambitious and wanted a head spot. I thought she was maybe head coaching material for the Gophers If Jamie left... and now she is gone too. I hope they don’t take Den Hartog with them. It looked to me like Den Hartog really liked Katie Bowser.

rugger14

Reaction score
I think she’s a good coach and I don’t begrudge people for trying to advance their careers. But 4th school in 5 years? That’s not a good look.
Maybe an also-ran in the SEC is an upgrade? I think they pay quite a bit more than we do. I have been to their campus. It is nice....

Jaydee

Reaction score
Maybe an also-ran in the SEC is an upgrade? I think they pay quite a bit more than we do. I have been to their campus. It is nice....
Like I said, it’s a career, not a marriage, so props to Jamie for getting what she considers to be a better position. I just wouldn’t want hire someone who doesn’t stay put long enough to build a team. Classof98 said it best; team stability is underrated.

rugger14

Reaction score
Like I said, it’s a career, not a marriage, so props to Jamie for getting what she considers to be a better position. I just wouldn’t want hire someone who doesn’t stay put long enough to build a team. Classof98 said it best; team stability is underrated.
We are way better off without her if Coyle can make a good hire. Watch what happens at Ole Miss.

newtogopherland

Reaction score
Arg!!! Even more emotional turmoil (2017 [Allister],2018[Lindaman], 2020 [Brandner]) for a program like this just can’t be good. These poor women on that team on a emotional roller coaster!

While I never loved all of Jamie’s coaching style, I am on record, in writing, assuming that she would provide long term stability to our program; which to me is the single most underrated/under-appreciated positive aspect for a college sports team to have in a head coach... and now this. I was so wrong in putting my faith in her upper midwestern background! I so misjudged her.
The mere fact the team found out Trachsel was leaving on Twitter is a good indication of her lack of integrity and dedication to the UMN program. Only a selfish, spineless manipulator with zero compassion or capacity to be a TRUE leader handles a situation this poorly. Completely unprofessional! The program deserves so much better than Jamie Trachsel!!! #bye

rugger14

Reaction score
The mere fact the team found out Trachsel was leaving on Twitter is a good indication of her lack of integrity and dedication to the UMN program. Only a selfish, spineless manipulator with zero compassion or capacity to be a TRUE leader handles a situation this poorly. Completely unprofessional! The program deserves so much better than Jamie Trachsel!!! #bye
First post so I guess you have a little skin in the game. Welcome! ?

rowdaboat

Reaction score
So much for all of Jamie's tweets about being a team, but great chance to get a players first replacement now. Bigger loss is Katie

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
I sorry but I just can’t help but worry about a Mike White/Oregon softball type scenario. That coaching move to Texas decimated that Oregon team (they are Oregon so they are getting better swiftly... but still).

Somehow, someway, Gopher-land avoided that scenario when Allister left for Stanford (Stanford! - I still don’t know how we did it) but... is there any way that the Gophers‘ team can avoid having significant players/recruits follow their coach for a second straight coaching change in 3 years?

rowdaboat

Reaction score
Roster is set up pretty well with depth now so have a little room to lose people, need to keep Pease for sure

rugger14

Reaction score
I sorry but I just can’t help but worry about a Mike White/Oregon softball type scenario. That coaching move to Texas decimated that Oregon team (they are Oregon so they are getting better swiftly... but still).

Somehow, someway, Gopher-land avoided that scenario when Allister left for Stanford (Stanford! - I still don’t know how we did it) but... is there any way that the Gophers‘ team can avoid having significant players/recruits follow their coach for a second straight coaching change in 3 years?
If Coyle makes a solid hire the new coach has plenty of time to keep the class intact. This is an attractive job. The key components of a WCWS team are back. Money could be an issue as we don't pay what some programs are willing to pay. The key issue for the new coach will be the same issue Jamie faced. Who replaces Fiser?

Metoo

Reaction score
I don't think this team has as much loyalty to Jamie as the athletes for Mike White did. Plus, so many girls are midwestern ladies and that may stay just to be closer to home. Hopefully a new coach brings in better team unity and the girls look more excited to play. Remember all the lackluster playing of so many games and the girls looked more like factory workers then having fun with the sport. Maybe we will get a catcher that stays with the program. Did you see how Fiser grew tired of trying so hard only to allow dropped 3rd strikes or passed balls? Fiser deserves better.

The

rugger14

Reaction score
I am going to start posting on the 2021 thread.

Panthadad2

Reaction score
She showed her true colors. She just ditched her WCWS team in her home state. Dream job? Good riddance Jamie. Don't let the door hit you in the ass. She rode Allister's recruits to a WCWS and then bailed. Please try to defend her now folks.
I can't.

MplsGopher

Reaction score

Panthadad2

Reaction score

That was a unique situation. Stanford is extremely tough to get accepted into - plus that team was absolutely terrible when she got there and even now will be in a perennial fight for 5th place in the PAC12. It just wasn't a transfer hotbed. I don't doubt one second that Allister would have taken several top players with her if she could have.

Top Bottom