Gopher Softball 2020

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
ComoGopher, That does makes sense. Fans want their teams to win and they should. Winning makes sports more entertaining.

I don’t know Jamie and I can’t tell you that I think we will be in the top tier if the Big Ten 2-3 years from now. Maybe, maybe not. I guess my own philosophy on coaching and players has changed some over the years. I generally want Gopher coaches to be people that view their job as their dream job. I think that is Jamie Trachsel in our softball program. It sure wasn’t Jess Allister, unfortunately. Coaches can still deserve firing if they pass this threshold but I can say that is a big plus for Jamie in my mind.

Secondly, I think Gopher fans on the baseball side give John Anderson quite a bit of leash to rise and fall as we understand that it is tough to be continuously good in baseball (and softball) for a far northern team. Yet most people believe, over the long run, that Anderson has given us more wins and more Big Ten championships than our fair share. That seems like a fair way of judging success to me.

Finally, I want players that wear the maroon and gold to want to be on the team. I want them to live their team. If they don’t want to be on the team, and if they don’t bleed Marion and Gold, well there are just too few scholarships in these non-revenue sports to be giving away U of M goodies to players that don’t appreciate what our University provides them.

In a nutshell, that is part of my philosophy that has caused me to make the posts that I have. I sure do value fans who love college softball. Reading passionate fans also makes sports fun.

Panthadad2

Reaction score
new lineup for today

Partain 2B
Jensen DP
DenHartog LF
Hansen 1B
Strelow C
Kemmetmueller 3B
Vander Heide CF
Lindner RF
Brandt SS

Happy to see Jensen made the lineup.

Gophs getting shut out by a relatively high ERA pitcher through 5 according to Livestats. Hopefully they can pull this out.

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
It has to be mentally fatiguing on Partain this season to have all the pressure to generate the offense every game. I gotta think that could wear someone out.

Panthadad2

Reaction score
The Gophs simply don't have an awe inspiring batting lineup this year. I might need to lower expectations unless some of the new faces really come on strong.

20200306_115926.jpg

rowdaboat

Reaction score
Shitty start to the weekend. At least the LOB was low

Panthadad2

Reaction score
Gopher runs scored in Amber's seven losses:

4 Mizzou
0 Kentucky
0 OK State
1 V. Tech
1 Baylor (8)
1 Auburn
0 CS effing Fullerton

= 1 Avg runs scored in Amber's losses

ComoGopher

Reaction score
Happy to see Jensen made the lineup.

Me too. She will have to knock some rust off but we know what she is capable of. Unfortunate game result but great to have another proven offensive weapon back in the lineup.

rwlarson

Reaction score
Gopher runs scored in Amber's seven losses:

4 Mizzou
0 Kentucky
0 OK State
1 V. Tech
1 Baylor (8)
1 Auburn
0 CS effing Fullerton

= 1 Avg runs scored in Amber's losses
[/QUOTE

Thanks for the info, Panthadad. I was lamenting Amber’s lack of run support, too. Three goose eggs in seven losses. Can’t win if you don’t score no matter how good your pitching is.

It’s continuing to appear that this team will just have to accept that they will be offensively-challenged compared to last year’s team. Obviously missing Brandner is huge as there doesn’t appear to be any one player capable of making up for most of Hope’s production. If Jensen is able to play more and perform at something approaching her healthy potential it would really help.

That said, Michigan really struggled at the plate for much of the pre-conference last year before catching fire right before B1G play started. Maybe we can do the same.

Hrothgar

Reaction score
Thank goodness for good pitching!
The offensive anemia is really disturbing; there were only a handful of hard hit balls today, and that's happened in more than one or two games. They hit so few balls out of the infield. With even average hitting, the Gophers would've won 5 or 6 more games at this point. It's hard to know how far they can ride the pitching & defense as the season moves on.

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
The offensive anemia is really disturbing; there were only a handful of hard hit balls today, and that's happened in more than one or two games. They hit so few balls out of the infield. With even average hitting, the Gophers would've won 5 or 6 more games at this point. It's hard to know how far they can ride the pitching & defense as the season moves on.

I totally agree. I am more worried about what the Gophers’ results will be against the Big Ten teams (excluding Michigan and Northwestern). I figured out win-loss record and stats would get healthy like they have for the last six years once we got into the BigTen schedule and played all of those overmatched teams. I am not sure that Big Ten teams we will play will be as overmatched this year against us as I have come to assume.

I can’t believe how much any run we make at a B1G title rides on Elle Jensen getting consistent quality at bats day in and day out to help get some kind of regular offense going. I just don’t know if she is the same as she once was. Let’s hope so.

4EverAGopher

Reaction score
My suggestion is, to start or continue watching RuPaul's Drag Race new season. It will cure all questions we might have on what is or is not going on with this Gopher team this year. Now...Shantay You Stay or Sashay Away!!!

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
Even with Jensen back in the lineup, and if she can hit with a high batting average again which is an “if”, it doesn’t deal with the lack of pop in most of the bats that step to the plate for the Gophers (DenHartog and Partain excluded). It will be a real problem this year that can only be overcome with exceptional pitching and defense combined with clutch hitting each and every game. Possible to win the Big Ten that way? Maybe. But not likely.

rowdaboat

Reaction score
Even with Jensen back in the lineup, and if she can hit with a high batting average again which is an “if”, it doesn’t deal with the lack of pop in most of the bats that step to the plate for the Gophers (DenHartog and Partain excluded). It will be a real problem this year that can only be overcome with exceptional pitching and defense combined with clutch hitting each and every game. Possible to win the Big Ten that way? Maybe. But not likely.
And currently have no extra PH depth

Hrothgar

Reaction score
What's missing most is Brandner's bat and on-field leadership. W/o her, it's a win one-lose one team held together by 2 pitchers and 2 hitters.

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
What's missing most is Brandner's bat and on-field leadership. W/o her, it's a win one-lose one team held together by 2 pitchers and 2 hitters.

“leadership” = swagger or moxie which is what Brandner added to the team last year; along with a really big bat swung really hard.

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
Lots of stolen bases against Cal Poly. Very unusual for the Gophers to take baserunning chances.

My memory over these last 6 years or so is that we have been much more comfortable playing station to station and playing to drive some balls. It makes sense, if that is not possible this year, to adopt a new philosophy and try stealing bases and encouraging throwing errors to generate offense. Smart.

rowdaboat

Reaction score
Ended one batter away from finishing the shortened perfect game

rowdaboat

Reaction score
UCLA pitcher has 83.1 IP with 0.92 ERA and 0.614 WHIP and 136 strikeouts

4EverAGopher

Reaction score
Looking at the batting averages for UCLA. WOW...can see why they are ranked #1.

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
Looking at the batting averages for UCLA. WOW...can see why they are ranked #1.

Combined with Faraimo being by far the most dominant pitcher in college softball so far this Spring (against a really strong schedule no less). UCLA is going to be tough to beat this year. And next year when Garcia comes back for her 10th year of eligibility after playing in the Olympics; well the NCAA may as well just give them the softball championship at the beginning of the year to save everyone the time.

rowdaboat

Reaction score
What's the scouting report of speed/movement of Pease? Haven't been able to watch her from a good camera yet or see radar, but she's been really really good

Amber soph stats - 27-10 1.69 ERA 6.8 K/7 0.966 WHIP

Pease so far - 4-1 1.82 ERA 7.98 K/7 0.850 WHIP

rowdaboat

Reaction score
Assuming on bunt and an error that the inning should have been over before that GS, can't make mistakes like that

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
What's the scouting report of speed/movement of Pease? Haven't been able to watch her from a good camera yet or see radar, but she's been really really good

Amber soph stats - 27-10 1.69 ERA 6.8 K/7 0.966 WHIP

Pease so far - 4-1 1.82 ERA 7.98 K/7 0.850 WHIP

I don’t have any official scouting report but my educated hunch is that I think Pease will be a good pitcher for us for the next three years; presumably her last two will be as our number 1 pitcher. I don’t think she has a near unhit-able change-up like Groenewagen (who does?) or power combined with unrelenting stamina that Fiser has. But she will be fine. We can’t expect a Groenewagen or a Fiser to always be on our team. But if Pease can be well supported by good spot pitching relief and some offense in the years ahead, she should get us our fair share of wins.

ComoGopher

Reaction score
ComoGopher, That does makes sense. Fans want their teams to win and they should. Winning makes sports more entertaining.

I don’t know Jamie and I can’t tell you that I think we will be in the top tier if the Big Ten 2-3 years from now. Maybe, maybe not. I guess my own philosophy on coaching and players has changed some over the years. I generally want Gopher coaches to be people that view their job as their dream job. I think that is Jamie Trachsel in our softball program. It sure wasn’t Jess Allister, unfortunately. Coaches can still deserve firing if they pass this threshold but I can say that is a big plus for Jamie in my mind.

Secondly, I think Gopher fans on the baseball side give John Anderson quite a bit of leash to rise and fall as we understand that it is tough to be continuously good in baseball (and softball) for a far northern team. Yet most people believe, over the long run, that Anderson has given us more wins and more Big Ten championships than our fair share. That seems like a fair way of judging success to me.

Finally, I want players that wear the maroon and gold to want to be on the team. I want them to live their team. If they don’t want to be on the team, and if they don’t bleed Marion and Gold, well there are just too few scholarships in these non-revenue sports to be giving away U of M goodies to players that don’t appreciate what our University provides them.

In a nutshell, that is part of my philosophy that has caused me to make the posts that I have. I sure do value fans who love college softball. Reading passionate fans also makes sports fun.
a: Jamie has 100 Gopher wins
b: Anderson has 1,300
c: Jamie has 1 B1G tourney title
d: Anderson has 7 B1G titles and 9 B1G tourney titles

If Jamie can come close to replicating what Allister did she will be fine. Allister won 3 B1G tourney titles in 4 years and won a B1G title. That is the team that Jamie inherited. She took Allister's players (primarily) to the WCWS. Well done. She oddly didn't win either the B1G or the B1G tourney that year.

Allister greatly improved the Gopher program. I think she left after we got screwed and didn't get to host a regional because she thought she could never get a fair shake at MN. I think if we had hosted in 2017 she would still be here.

Allister had Merchant and Ritter. I think Merchant is an elite hitting coach and great recruiter and Ritter is an elite pitching coach. Ritter stayed here but I don't think we have anyone comparable to Merchant on the staff.

Trachsel is from MN but is not a Gopher. She may or may not be a loyal Gopher.

Softball is a 1 ace pitcher sport far more than baseball. Allister inherited Moulton and then recruited Sarah G. and Fiser. If Jamie finds her ace she will be fine. If not, things could be ugly.

Finally, any player who left Minnesota after the coaching change gets a bye in my book. All of the players who left committed to Allister. If they decided that they didn't want to play for Jamie, I can't blame them for that. Completely different cultures.

Last edited:

Hrothgar

Reaction score
ComoGopher, I have thoughts on the Burns situation based on what I was seeing as a fan through publicly posted twitter, and clearly the current Junior class has been unproductive to the extreme - that is obvious. But I will let that go in effort to keep my post short and drill right down to what appears to this reader to be the at bottom point.

Do you want the coaching staff fired today, or at the end of the year?
What ARE your thoughts on the Burns situation? It's an unfair tease to throw out comments like this without giving details.

Hrothgar

Reaction score
a: Jamie has 100 Gopher wins
b: Anderson has 1,300
c: Jamie has 1 B1G tourney title
d: Anderson has 7 B1G titles and 9 B1G tourney titles

If Jamie can come close to replicating what Allister did she will be fine. Allister won 3 B1G tourney titles in 4 years and won a B1G title. That is the team that Jamie inherited. She took Allister's players (primarily) to the WCWS. Well done. She oddly didn't win either the B1G or the B1G tourney that year.

Allister greatly improved the Gopher program. I think she left after we got screwed and didn't get to host a regional because she thought she could never get a fair shake at MN. I think if we had hosted in 2017 she would still be here.

Allister had Merchant and Ritter. I think Merchant is an elite hitting coach and great recruiter and Ritter is an elite pitching coach. Ritter stayed here but I don't think we have anyone comparable to Merchant on the staff.

Trachsel is from MN but is not a Gopher. She may or may not be a loyal Gopher.

Softball is a 1 ace pitcher sport far more than baseball. Allister inherited Moulton and then recruited Sarah G. and Fiser. If Jamie finds her ace she will be fine. If not, things could be ugly.

Finally, any player who left Minnesota after the coaching change gets a bye in my book. All of the players who left committed to Allister. If they decided that they didn't want to play for Jamie, I can't blame them for that. Completely different cultures.

What specifically is the difference in cultures? Please explain; we'd all like to hear.
Personally, I suspect there was more about the Allister situation than meets the eye, though I don't know the specifics. Allister was in a place to take over the BIG leadership after Hutchins at Michigan and, I felt, win a National Championship someday down the line. What coach walks away from the program she has built after a great season like 2017? They could've beaten Alabama by scoring only 3-4 runs & had much to look forward to with that roster. But it was a bit strange that Allister's recruiting class after Fiser/Lindaman/Partain fell off the next year. No superstars in what's now the junior class. Did Allister feel something awry?

On the other hand, something seems unusual about Trachsel's teams. Social media hints of dissension. A ranked ream w/ starters hitting under 200. 3 catchers leaving in 2 years. Transfers filling spots that top-flight recruits should be filling. 2 fine pitchers throwing near-shutouts & still losing to unranked or beatable teams. I'm convinced that way, way more than 50-80% of college coaching is recruiting. Great talent will produce, but you have to recruit them. Gophers are still playing w/ the last shreds of Allister's recruits: Fiser, Partain, Kemmetmueller, Brandt, Gill...... What's up next?

Top Bottom