GOP continues in its efforts of vote restriction.

GopherJake

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is nothing stopping CA or any other state from distributing its electoral votes proportionately. The Constitution and federal government doesn't prohibit this or say anything about it at all.

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
Maybe Texans are smarter than I give them credit for? Trump won by large margins in many states too and could have easily made up the difference from the CA and NY margins but he didn't because more Americans voted against him than for him. So why should anyone vote ever?
BB, it's interesting to me how much you hate Trump relative to Clinton. I know foreign policy is very important to you, and Kilary would have been much more aggressive in Syria and other places. Trump's foreign policy in the ME has basically sucked, but Clinton wanted war with Russia over Syria for goodness sakes.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is nothing stopping CA or any other state from distributing its electoral votes proportionately. The Constitution and federal government doesn't prohibit this or say anything about it at all.
Nebraska and Maine do this.

Section2

Reaction score
Maybe Texans are smarter than I give them credit for? Trump won by large margins in many states too and could have easily made up the difference from the CA and NY margins but he didn't because more Americans voted against him than for him. So why should anyone vote ever?
I agree, Dems should stop voting, it makes no difference and doesn't count.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
BB, it's interesting to me how much you hate Trump relative to Clinton. I know foreign policy is very important to you, and Kilary would have been much more aggressive in Syria and other places. Trump's foreign policy in the ME has basically sucked, but Clinton wanted war with Russia over Syria for goodness sakes.
First of all BB is BarnBurner. 2nd of all I've spent most the week praising trump. 3rd of all I hated clinton and stated that all along here. And finally this discussion really has nothing to do with Trump, it's about fairness for the American citizen and our clearly broken system.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
I agree, Dems should stop voting, it makes no difference and doesn't count.
Why should a Democrat ever go vote for president in Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, WEst Virginia, or Wyoming? They all voted just as "disproportionately" R as Cali did D. What's the point?

howeda7

Reaction score
ME and NE already do it by Congressional district. Frankly I'm surprised the GOP hasn't tried to pass it in states like MI and PA where they have total control of the state government, though at least in 2016 it would have backfired on them. It would help far more often than it would hurt though. I'm sure the MN GOP would love to do it as well.

howeda7

Reaction score
It’s not their advocacy. Movies and tv shows are overwhelmingly progressive. Who are the villains and who are the heroes. What is the perspective. What are the values. It has a huge influence. Late night comedy shows.

Would you rather have tablet mag or the networks and majority of cable news.

By using double standards in who twitter blocks for example. Facebook is going to try to stamp out fake news, and they will do so with a bias. It’s a great advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It ain't easy being 2. And when Conservatives have the #1 show on TV, the evil network goes and cancels it just because the star is a racist. So unfair!

The major influence that Twitter and Facebook have had on our elections is that they wittingly or unwittingly allowed a massive propaganda campaign that helped Trump. And you're somehow still claiming they're an advantage for the Dems. Ridiculous.

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
First of all BB is BarnBurner. 2nd of all I've spent most the week praising trump. 3rd of all I hated clinton and stated that all along here. And finally this discussion really has nothing to do with Trump, it's about fairness for the American citizen and our clearly broken system.
First, I didn't know BarnBurner's other official name is 'BB.' I quoted your comment. If I'm looking for a shorter version of your name, what do you suggest?

Last - you're right. I should stay on topic.

howeda7

Reaction score
24 says it’s really bad if a minority of voters pick the president. Both times clinton won he had less than 50% of the vote.

The system has existed since before the Republican Party so I don’t see how they rigged it. You just don’t like losing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You think it's generally good that we're governed by the person who less people voted for? The system is what it is. But the EC is not serving the purpose it was intended to serve, which was to give the electors a chance to over-ride the vote if someone they found unsuitable was elected. If it didn't happen in 2016 it will never happen. It's a relic. Unfortunately we'll never be able to change it.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
First, I didn't know BarnBurner's other official name is 'BB.' I quoted your comment. If I'm looking for a shorter version of your name, what do you suggest?

Last - you're right. I should stay on topic.
Was just giving you grief. I don't care if you call me BB, just don't want people to get me confused with BarnBurner as they have in the past. bb is usually how people shorten my name.

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
Was just giving you grief. I don't care if you call me BB, just don't want people to get me confused with BarnBurner as they have in the past. bb is usually how people shorten my name.
Got it. I'm sure I would have gotten the joke in person.

howeda7

Reaction score
It might turn out differently than you think. If you're a conservative in California (or New York), how important do you think your vote is in the popular vote? You know there's no way on the planet that a GOP candidate is ever going to carry your state, what's the point? Hillary won by 3-4 million votes and won California and New York by over 6 million. So Trump carried the overall popular vote accumulated in 48 states.

Still confused as to why so many people are comfortable with California and New York deciding what's best for them. The Dem party is the party of NY and California at this point. Personally, I don't want their ideology deciding what's best for me
The "why let New York and CA decide everything" is such a canard. Do VA, NM, MN, and CO not count? Are they filled with coastal elitists? The fact that a person in WY has their vote weighted 3 times more than someone in CA is unfair on some level. Can anyone honestly dispute this?

Most of the arguments for the EC that existed at the founding or even 50 years ago regarding travel, or regional campaigns or "candidates will only care about voters in NY and CA if we have a popular vote" are irrelevant in 2018. But there will no Constitutional Amendments happening any decade soon, so it's an irrelevant discussion.

howeda7

Reaction score
I guess my post didn’t register with you. California is far more disproportionate Democrat than any large Red state, as is New York. And a couple other largely Democrat states disproportionately represent Democrats. I’m not sure why that doesn’t make sense to you that this minority of states would significantly increase their electoral influence if the US was a Federal Democracy. That is and was one of the purposes of the Electoral College.
Most of the most lopsided votes are in red states. WV, ND, SD, AL etc. There aren't many "large" red states so what exactly are you comparing?

howeda7

Reaction score
Texas was one of the closer states in 2016. It will turn purple/blue it's just a question of when. What Trump/Sessions are doing to these families at the border will accelerate it.

When it happens all of the people telling you how great the EC is will suddenly be on your side.

Section2

Reaction score
Texas was one of the closer states in 2016. It will turn purple/blue it's just a question of when. What Trump/Sessions are doing to these families at the border will accelerate it.

When it happens all of the people telling you how great the EC is will suddenly be on your side.
For sure. All states are turning blue, it's just around the corner. It's gonna be a blue wave turning into a blue wall.

howeda7

Reaction score
For sure. All states are turning blue, it's just around the corner. It's gonna be a blue wave turning into a blue wall.
Yes. That's totally what I said. You're ridiculous lately.

It's simply demographics. IA, and OH have turned red and probably aren't turning back. Might also be true for WI, MI and PA. It wouldn't shock me if MN goes for a Republican for President at some point.

GA, TX, NC and FL are probably going the other way. It might take another 8 years or so.

diehard

Reaction score

It's simply demographics. IA, and OH have turned red and probably aren't turning back. Might also be true for WI, MI and PA. It wouldn't shock me if MN goes for a Republican for President at some point.

GA, TX, NC and FL are probably going the other way. It might take another 8 years or so.
You don't know squat. Total ignoramus. At least you are not much of a liar. Just stupid.

I would try to help you, but I am not going to run a bootcamp for bozos.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't call 52 to 43 % and a 800,000 vote difference close.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
Most of the most lopsided votes are in red states. WV, ND, SD, AL etc. There aren't many "large" red states so what exactly are you comparing?
That’s why I said large. There are more large Blue states than large Red

Section2

Reaction score

I'm glad you found my post annoying. It's how the vast majority of your posts read.

What I'm pointing out is that your assumption is that current trends will persist, and I guess you're saying permanently. IA and OH are red and won't turn back. Of course, you think this is based on demographics. And you assume hispanics or blacks will always vote Dem.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
That’s why I said “more”. What other large Red states are there besides Texas?
Florida, Georgia, North Carolina

LOL I actually pulled up the populations, Texas and Florida are 2 and 3. So 2 of the 3 biggest states were red. Your argument is even further squashed. Try to come up with another reason, this one has been repeated debunked (easily I might add).

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
Florida, Georgia, North Carolina

LOL I actually pulled up the populations, Texas and Florida are 2 and 3. So 2 of the 3 biggest states were red. Your argument is even further squashed. Try to come up with another reason, this one has been repeated debunked (easily I might add).
Florida is certainly not a Red state, and North Carolina isn’t either. Pretty narrow margins of victory in both.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
Florida is certainly not a Red state, and North Carolina isn’t either. Pretty narrow margins of victory in both.
They voted red in this last election, which is what we are talking about. Your claim is all the large states vote D disproportionately and would sway the election, which is completely false as I've proven since 2 out of the top 3 states voted R.

Top Bottom