GOP Congressman Duncan Hunter indicted

Gopherguy0723

Reaction score

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
Big time scumbag. Drain the swamp.

On a similar note, Warren released an anti-corruption bill today. What did you think of it?
Boy, she’s busy proposing new legislation. I wonder why?

Anyway, it looks very broad and sweeping. I don’t disagree with the concept of limiting politicians and government employees from extraordinarily profiting from their former positions, but there would no doubt be unintended consequences. It certainly would discourage our ‘best and brightest’ (somewhat tongue in cheek) from pursuing political careers.

But the government certainly does seem to have strict rules on private sector individuals when it comes to potential conflicts of interest. I don’t see why those same standards shouldn’t apply to politicians, government employees, etc.

I think some of her proposal is purely political though. Way too broad.

Gopherguy0723

Reaction score
Boy, she’s busy proposing new legislation. I wonder why?

Anyway, it looks very broad and sweeping. I don’t disagree with the concept of limiting politicians and government employees from extraordinarily profiting from their former positions, but there would no doubt be unintended consequences. It certainly would discourage our ‘best and brightest’ (somewhat tongue in cheek) from pursuing political careers.

But the government certainly does seem to have strict rules on private sector individuals when it comes to potential conflicts of interest. I don’t see why those same standards shouldn’t apply to politicians, government employees, etc.

I think some of her proposal is purely political though. Way too broad.
I agree with you. The bills are campaign bills.

With that said, most of her anti-corruption bill should become law. Most of it should be no-brainer stuff.

My biggest issue is permanently barring certain types of employment. I don't think that's a good thing, and I doubt it's constitutional. Most of the rest is fine with me.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
In one of Margaret Hunter's trips to Target, she allegedly spent more than $300 in campaign funds for "a tablecloth, three square pillows, a three-brush set, a metal tray, four temporary shades, four window panels, a white duck, two Punky Brewster items, a ring pop and two five-packs of animals," according to court documents. She described the purchases as being needed for "teacher/parent & supporter events."
Ok, reporting isn’t what it used to be, but...
1. When you buy a five pack of animals, which ones do you get?
2. What else comes in a five pack?

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
The GOP lost in 2006 due to midterms going against the president and corruption in government. 2018 feels like 2006 all over again.

howeda7

Reaction score
The first Congressman to endorse Trump was Chris Collins. Convicted of securities fraud. Second, Duncan Hunter. Who was 3rd?

stocker08

Reaction score
There should be an independent committee looking into every elected member of congress. Stuff like this shouldn't be happening.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
WTF? That's over 13 times per month.

The Hunters overdrew their personal bank accounts more 1,100 times in a seven-year period, according to the indictment from the US Attorney's Office in San Diego, resulting in $37,761 in "overdraft" and "insufficient funds" bank fees.

Iceland12

Reaction score
Federal prosecutors contend that the Hunters repeatedly misrepresented what their expenses were for -- in one instance buying personal clothing at a golf course so that the purchase "could be falsely reported to the treasurer as 'balls for the wounded warriors,'" the indictment says.

The indictment also charges that Duncan Hunter facilitated the "theft of campaign funds" by directing his treasurer to obtain a campaign credit card for his wife at a time when she had no formal role.

The congressman then insisted that his wife be named as his paid campaign manager -- over the objections of his treasurer -- because, according to the document, he said the family needed "the extra money that would come from her salary."

Prosecutors said Hunter also allowed the alleged theft to take place by "ignoring his campaign staff's multiple warnings about Margaret Hunter's improper use of campaign funds." He lashed out at aides, the indictment says, by accusing them of disloyalty and "trying to create some kind of paper trail on me."

The indictment makes it clear that the Hunters were in dire financial straits and could not have supported their lifestyle without the use of those campaign funds.

Section2

Reaction score
Most of the people drawn to politics are corrupt. In both parties. Government is just way too big, there's way too much money and power. There's no way to police it effectively. There is no "well if we just get rid of the bad people, it will work great".

If you don't like this stuff there is only one solution.

stocker08

Reaction score
Scummy politicians don't have a party affiliation. There are dirtballs on the left and the right. There should be a bi-partisan committee vetting these elected officials. It's a sham that this guy lasted as long as he did.

Section2

Reaction score
Scummy politicians don't have a party affiliation. There are dirtballs on the left and the right. There should be a bi-partisan committee vetting these elected officials. It's a sham that this guy lasted as long as he did.

Having foxes guard the henhouse probably won't work.

stocker08

Reaction score
Having foxes guard the henhouse probably won't work.
You have a better idea? A limited rolling term could help. 20 person council. 5 new members each year?

Section2

Reaction score
You have a better idea? A limited rolling term could help. 20 person council. 5 new members each year?

As I said, politics is a corrupt enterprise. There are some individuals in both parties who are not corrupt, but they are few. Changing the people every so often, term limits, etc, I don't think will have any effect. The system itself is corrupt. Government may be a necessary evil, but if so it must be strictly limited. If you are opposed to government corruption but favor growing government power, you are engaged in a futile and contradictory effort.

bga1

Reaction score
As I said, politics is a corrupt enterprise. There are some individuals in both parties who are not corrupt, but they are few. Changing the people every so often, term limits, etc, I don't think will have any effect. The system itself is corrupt. Government may be a necessary evil, but if so it must be strictly limited. If you are opposed to government corruption but favor growing government power, you are engaged in a futile and contradictory effort.
Nailed it! One thing we should all be able to agree on is that politicians are corrupt and get corrupted. So with that said it should make commons sense that we want the government ruled by corrupted people to be as small as possible and as local as possible to the problems that one attempts to resolve.

jamiche

Reaction score
Nailed it! One thing we should all be able to agree on is that politicians are corrupt and get corrupted. So with that said it should make commons sense that we want the government ruled by corrupted people to be as small as possible and as local as possible to the problems that one attempts to resolve.
The problem is that you fellas love big, intrusive gubmint, as long as it’s the issues you are pushing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
The problem is that you fellas love big, intrusive gubmint, as long as it’s the issues you are pushing.

And giving hand outs just to them but no one else.

cncmin

Reaction score
The best bet is to quit voting for phonies who lack moral and ethical compasses and those who vociferously defend those without moral or ethical compasses. Start there.

Section2

Reaction score

Sure, for example a law banning abortion, right? Big and intrusive.
We could eliminate 2 trillion in spending. Eliminate 1 million government workers. Gut thousands of pages of regulations. But if we passed a law banning abortion by golly, we would have just made government bigger and more intrusive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom