GOP Chooses Trump And QAnon - Trump Is Gone But The Party Is Still His

MennoSota

Reaction score
Only a week after Trump left the White House, it's clear that his party is not ready to let him go

While pundits ponder the GOP's future -- and traditionalists hope to change course out of the wreckage left by Trump's insurrection -- Washington's power players and state activists have already made their choice.
Highlighting the former President's lightning fast rehabilitation, the House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy will visit Trump in Florida on Thursday after repudiating his own criticism of the incitement of the US Capitol riot.

Extremists and Trumpists are on the rise, while lawmakers who condemned his aberrant conduct fight for their political careers. The anti-Trump wing -- represented by members of Congress such as Sens. Ben Sasse of Nebraska and Mitt Romney of Utah and Illinois Rep. Adam Kinzinger -- look like a small and outmaneuvered force.

Across the country, Republican leaders are reacting to Trump's exit by intensifying the political revolution that transformed the party in his image, censuring and marginalizing those deemed disloyal to a defeated and twice-impeached ex-President. In a key impeachment test vote this week, 45 GOP senators signaled that they plan for Trump to pay no price for inciting the most heinous assault by a president on the US government in history in the Capitol riot.

In another sign of the GOP's future course, Georgia Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene was not censured by her party after CNN's KFile reported that she expressed supporting in recent years assassinations of Democratic leaders before she ran for Congress. The QAnon adherent's rocketing rise as a prominent face of a party in the thrall of lies and outlandish propaganda does not seem in danger. In fact, Greene, was rewarded with a plum committee assignment.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/28/politics/donald-trump-republican-party/index.html
Ben Sasse doesn't care. He is on record as wanting term limits for congress with Senators getting two terms. He's on his second term. Trump will be irrelevant in a year.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
Republican Ties to Extremist Groups Are Under Scrutiny
A number of members of Congress have links to organizations and movements that played a role in the Jan. 6 assault on the Capitol.

An examination of many of the most prominent elected Republicans with links to right-wing groups also shows how various strands of extremism came together at the Capitol on Jan. 6.

"Under scrutiny" :rolleyes:

Ordinary citizens are subject to field execution for petty misdemeanors. Meanwhile, the wealthy and powerful can plot an overthrow of the government, and they find themselves under scrutiny. NO, NOT THAT! Nothing new, though. If I'm not mistaken, none of the plotters of the attempted coup of 1934 ever paid any kind of civil or criminal price.

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score
I've been telling you people this. The Russians never stopped fighting the Cold War.
Why in the world didn't anyone tell Mr. Obama? "This isn't your parents cold war"... "the 80's called and wants their foreign policy back".

A witty one, that Obama was; who would have thought he would try to eliminate any poor light on his "friends" in Russia while at the same time they have been a massive threat to us the whole time?

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
Why in the world didn't anyone tell Mr. Obama? "This isn't your parents cold war"... "the 80's called and wants their foreign policy back".

A witty one, that Obama was; who would have thought he would try to eliminate any poor light on his "friends" in Russia while at the same time they have been a massive threat to us the whole time?
Obama knew more than he let on, and I believe it was in his memoir where he admits that he should have been more alarmist about the Russian threats, particularly to the election process. One of his biggest errors in my opinion and a matter of a good deal of frustration about him.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Jimmy Gomez Needs 70 Republicans To Expel Marjorie Taylor Greene
Gomez is introducing a resolution to expel the QAnon believer from the House, and said he and many of his colleagues are experiencing PTSD from the Capitol riot.

On Jan. 6, Rep. Jimmy Gomez (D-Calif.) was lying on the ground of the gallery in the House of Representatives, hiding from an insurrectionist mob that was trying to break into the chamber to potentially kidnap or kill him and his colleagues.
He’s found himself agitated in the weeks since — which he’s been told is a symptom of PTSD — and has watched many of his colleagues struggle too, unable to sleep and worrying for their safety and the safety of their families.
And he’s read story after story, with growing concern, about a freshman Republican congresswoman from Georgia, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene.

Greene —an ardent supporter of former President Donald Trump who came into office as a known believer in the unhinged QAnon conspiracy theoryhelped incite the mob that stormed the Capitol. More recently, unearthed social media posts have shown that Greene subscribes to a host of other dangerous and deeply offensive conspiracy theories, including that school shootings are staged, and that a rich Jewish family is using space lasers to start forest fires.
Most concerning, perhaps, is a CNN investigation that found that Greene had liked Facebook posts calling for the execution of Democratic lawmakers.
Gomez has had enough. He announced this week that he is drafting a resolution to expel Greene from office, a measure that would require a two-thirds majority to pass. Assuming Gomez gets the support of all of his fellow Democrats, he still need find about 70 Republican votes.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Good read from Eric Cantor, former House Republican Majority Leader, in the Washington Post. The simple but powerful theme is "We got in this mess because Republican politicians refused to tell their voters the truth and, although telling sweet lies to their voters ramped up to another level under Trump, it didn't start with him." He also provides a warning to Democrats that they aren't impervious to preaching damaging falsehoods and the same sorry fate could befall them but I wouldn't characterize his essay as both-siderism.

Too many politicians are afraid to tell voters the truth

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Assume she is a QAnon fan.

So, you're equating this statement with Jewish lasers starting wildfires, the international pedophilia cabal centered in Washington that was supposed to be conquered by Trump, and Hillary Clinton running a child sex trafficking ring out of the non-existent basement of a pizza parlor?

This statement isn't all that implausible although I'd say it's less likely now than it was a month ago. Why the hell did Kevin McCarthy choose to leave Washington to visit a toxic Trump in Florida this week? Doesn't sound like a move consistent with trying to put Trump's influence behind them.

scools12

Reaction score
So, you're equating this statement with Jewish lasers starting wildfires, the international pedophilia cabal centered in Washington that was supposed to be conquered by Trump, and Hillary Clinton running a child sex trafficking ring out of the non-existent basement of a pizza parlor?

This statement isn't all that implausible although I'd say it's less likely now than it was a month ago. Why the hell did Kevin McCarthy choose to leave Washington to visit a toxic Trump in Florida this week? Doesn't sound like a move consistent with trying to put Trump's influence behind them.
I am equating this statement for what it is. Lunatic ramblings from a crazy person.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
I am equating this statement for what it is. Lunatic ramblings from a crazy person.
No, specifically you equated this quote with QAnon beliefs. I pointed out correctly that it isn't even close to those.

scools12

Reaction score
No, specifically you equated this quote with QAnon beliefs. I pointed out correctly that it isn't even close to those.
Nut job conspiracy theories from the far right are just that. Nut job conspiracy theories from the far left are totally plausible.

Got it 👌

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
Holy crap, that space laser stuff is unhinged.
I can't read that without hearing Doctor Evil saying it.

My opinion is that you don't want to expel her for wacky ideas, or where do you draw the line in the future. But to the extent she's a danger to her colleagues and their staff or participated in or supported the coup, that's definitely expulsion grounds for her and others.

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score

A month ago all of you stupid clowns were saying Trump wouldn't leave the WH. Sorry if your credibility and any thought of you being reasonable is essentially gone

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
A month ago, even Trump didnt think he was leaving, so we can be forgiven that one, I think.

Last edited:

cjbfbp

Reaction score
A month ago all of you stupid clowns were saying Trump wouldn't leave the WH. Sorry if your credibility and any thought of you being reasonable is essentially gone
I never said that and I don't think most did. I felt that he would have no choice. However, he fought leaving harder than I thought he would.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Nut job conspiracy theories from the far right are just that. Nut job conspiracy theories from the far left are totally plausible.

Got it 👌
I'm not sure you understand what a "shadow government" is. In the colloquial meaning (not the British form), it's simply an unelected group or person who exerts unofficial but real power over those who are elected. We already know by his words and actions that Trump sees himself as this person. The only questions are: 1) to what extent will he exercise this influence in the near future, 2) to what extent will GOP politicians succumb to his attempts, and 3) to what extent will the GOP base continue to believe that Trump should exert power over their elected politicians?

We can see his influence over all the GOP politicians who still refuse to admit that Biden won the election despite incontrovertible evidence and those who went so far as to challenge (on the record) the electoral count (the majority of the GOP House caucus). The latter chose to do that despite the real perils as numerous corporate donors have announced that they will no longer contribute to their campaigns. That's serious because the GOP can't make it on individual contributions. Rank and file members of the GOP base may be bellicose in speech but they are cheaper with their money than Democrats.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Proud Boys Charged With Conspiracy in Capitol Riot
The conspiracy charges were the first to emerge against members of the extremist group in connection with the assault on Congress.

Federal prosecutors investigating the violent riot at the Capitol this month announced their first conspiracy charges against the Proud Boys on Friday night, accusing two members of the far-right nationalist group of working together to obstruct and interfere with law enforcement officers protecting Congress during the final certification of the presidential election.

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score
Murray seems to be having a very difficult time these last few days, despite being on the "winning" side... TDS is very, very real, folks. It's not to be trifled with or quickly dismissed

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Senate Republicans say Trump should be held accountable for riot -- but not by them

To Senate Minority Whip John Thune, former President Donald Trump's actions ahead of the deadly Capitol riot are totally indefensible.
"No -- not at all," the No. 2 Republican said when asked if he can defend what Trump did. "The way he handled the post-election, both in terms of his public statements and things that he tried to do to change the outcome, no."
But like other Republicans, Thune has no clear answer to this key question: What should they do to Trump after he lied to his supporters about the election being stolen, promoted the January 6 rally in DC and urged demonstrators to go to the Capitol, which they later rampaged in a deadly riot?
"Well, that's a good question," said Thune, who faces reelection in South Dakota next year. "One way, obviously, would be in a court of law."

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Murray seems to be having a very difficult time these last few days, despite being on the "winning" side... TDS is very, very real, folks. It's not to be trifled with or quickly dismissed
PD is having a really hard time selling the tired, weak, lame, "Time to move on" B.S. line. He'd love to pretend Jan. 6 never happened.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, PD, but you're going to have to face the cold, hard reality: there is a lot of unfinished business ahead of us. It will take some time to do it properly. It's unpleasant work, but it absolutely must be done. So we'll keep very close tabs of all the arrests and prosecutions — as well as the wheelings and dealings — of those responsible for Jan. 6.

It's not easy ridding a beautiful old house of vermin, especially after a really, really bad infestation. It takes time.

Last edited:

GoodasGold

Reaction score
I wonder if PD is greasing up his Fanny in anticipation of a momentous event occurring on or about...say...March 4? 🤔

howeda7

Reaction score

Top Bottom