Good Policing

Section2

Reaction score
I am not beholden to some national figure you invented, I am beholden to the incidents here in the Twin Cities. My concern if wholly this area, I don't get wrapped up in national narratives. I'll leave victim blaming, jury trashing, and perceived statistically insignificance to national opinion makers who want binary divides.
This probably made sense in your head. Jury trashing?

golf

Reaction score
Are you saying that you would be OK if your son was killed for resisting arrest? Resisting arrest should not be a death sentence unless you are resisting by literally having a gun pointed at an officer. Making bad choices in life is not a death sentence. Officers are employed as peace keepers not judges, juries, and executioners.

Floyd was murdered. You don't put your knee on someone's neck for more than a couple of minutes when they are already subdued unless you have no regard for human life. There were ample back ups nearby so Floyd ceased to be a threat as soon as he was handcuffed on the ground. I can not imagine that you would be OK if YOUR son was killed in this fashion.

Officers are highly trained in dealing with stressful situations. I shudder to think that you are are OK with someone 'mistakenly' killing your son instead of using the taser. "I'm sorry, mr golf, I accidentally killed your son. My bad."

Police have lost the people's trust because of excessive police violence. Why does it escalate to fatality so quickly? Why are non-lethal techniques not exhausted before a life is taken? Why was Michael Brown shot in the back while running away? Did he represent an immediate threat to others after the altercation with the officer? If the officer can't catch him, let him run away and pick him up later that day or tomorrow or the next week.

I shared this link on another thread. Look at the graphic comparing the US to other countries. Why do we have such a high rate of lethal encounters with officers?

https://theweek.com/articles/918849/what-about-police-violence-against-white-people

What is wrong with our policing? Can someone explain why this country has so much police violence? Are we more violent people that need more violent policing? If so, what can we do to help our citizens chill out a bit? Why so much rage?

Of course the court's decisions should be honored. I am saying in these situations i would advocate for potter's sentence to be commuted and would have no problem if chauvin was acquitted. My son's choices were the issue in my mind.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
The libs here want nothing to do with accountability with respect to personal choices.

goldengophers

Reaction score
Of course the court's decisions should be honored. I am saying in these situations i would advocate for potter's sentence to be commuted and would have no problem if chauvin was acquitted. My son's choices were the issue in my mind.
Until put in that situation it's all conjecture and adds nothing to the discussion. It's completely unnecessary and entirely devoid of value.

GopherJake

Reaction score
Your son is shitfaced drunk, driving home. But he is otherwise within the law- under the speed limit, within the lanes- no indication he wouldn’t have made it home safely- he’s one block away. Another drunk driver comes across a T-intersection and broadsides your sons car. Your son is killed. Your son never saw it coming. The other driver lives. The other driver’s BAC is 0.081. Your son’s is 0.21. Your son has 3 DUIs. The other driver has no prior record.

Simple misdemeanor DUI, 2 days in the workhouse, $500 fine? Maybe even amended to Careless Driving?

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score
Because you aren’t the audience you might not be aware but this is being done

here is an organization to look at
Certainly a good start, but not exactly the type of nationwide attention and focus that could really make an impact right now. What a wonderful world it would be if public figures like LeBron, Colbert, Kimmel, the good women on The View, were publicly advocating for something like this. It would be a strong statement and one that could actually result in meaningful change, rather than just the umbrella victimhood message; everyone out to get the black man

goldengophers

Reaction score
Certainly a good start, but not exactly the type of nationwide attention and focus that could really make an impact right now. What a wonderful world it would be if public figures like LeBron, Colbert, Kimmel, the good women on The View, were publicly advocating for something like this. It would be a strong statement and one that could actually result in meaningful change, rather than just the umbrella victimhood message; everyone out to get the black man
Pure laziness
This is what happens when someone's info is via funnel of media exposure and talking points to the extent he doesn't even understand the impact LeBron James has made to directly contradict the info he's been fed.

Last edited:

ecoperson

Reaction score
You are OK that your son's choice to be high and pass a counterfeit bill should result in his death? Chauvin took your son's life unnecessarily through gross disregard for his humanity. You are OK that your son with an apparent learning disability and who made obvious mistakes in life should be killed for attempting to drive away after resisting arrest? Death is not an acceptable outcome whether mistake or not.

Here is a case that ended up not as a homicide but police seriously injured a 13 year old boy with autism last September in SLC. If your boy was shot by the police, would you be OK with this because he got what is coming?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/police-footage-officers-shoot-13-year-old-autistic-boy

In the end, no one deserves to die for their own disabilities whether biological or chemically-induced. I have no problem if my boy is shot and killed if he has already taken a life and is threatening to take another by pointing his gun at an officer or a civilian. There is no excuse for my boy to be shot for running away because he is scared. This is not a 'police state' where these gross actions by our peacekeepers should repeatedly lead to the death of our boys. The officers must be held accountable.

ecoperson

Reaction score
The libs here want nothing to do with accountability with respect to personal choices.
BS BB... go find some more cartoons and gifs to post. accountability doesn't need to result in our citizens being killed. i am all for eye for an eye but 90% of these cases are unarmed citizens being killed by our finest.

justthefacts

Reaction score
The "here's what I'd do in their shoes" routine is invalidated by the fact that you guys are missing the key point. The are other ways that the justice system can disproportionately harm the black population other than unarmed shootings.

There are countless studies showing that blacks are arrested more for the same crimes and charged more and receive harsher sentences.

9aRVGXM.png

An example which has been discussed a lot recently is marijuana. Whites use marijuana more than blacks but are arrested more. One strong argument for legalizing it is to make this impossible.

TCVIssA.png

Section2

Reaction score
Is there not a narrative that the jury in the trial convicted because of the mob? If so that's jury trashing.
No it’s not. It’s trashing the mob. Nobody has said the jury did anything wrong.
With each post, you are revealed a little more. Not much of a thinker.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
I dont buy the systemic racist cop angle. I can produce studies and stats that back this up. I realize there may be studies and stats that indicate the opposite. But 25 unarmed blacks/year killed by police does not justify media calling this an epidemic, especially when studies are inconclusive.

I have posted a couple times previously that if my son was in wright's situation, i would ask the judge to commute potter's sentence. Would feel the issue was my son 's choices. If my son was in floyd's situatioon, i would have had no problem with a chauvin acquitttal. Again, would feel the issue to be my son's choices.
Geez, with a dad like you who needs a creepy uncle?🤔

Section2

Reaction score
Pure laziness
This is what happens when someone's info is via funnel of media exposure and talking points to the extent he doesn't even understand the impact LeBron James has made to directly contradict the info he's been fed.
What impact has his foundation had? Foundations generally accomplish very little. It’s most often for brand, and to give jobs to family and friends.

Section2

Reaction score
The "here's what I'd do in their shoes" routine is invalidated by the fact that you guys are missing the key point. The are other ways that the justice system can disproportionately harm the black population other than unarmed shootings.

There are countless studies showing that blacks are arrested more for the same crimes and charged more and receive harsher sentences.

9aRVGXM.png

An example which has been discussed a lot recently is marijuana. Whites use marijuana more than blacks but are arrested more. One strong argument for legalizing it is to make this impossible.

TCVIssA.png

Why are Democrat run cities and states racist?

golf

Reaction score
Until put in that situation it's all conjecture and adds nothing to the discussion. It's completely unnecessary and entirely devoid of value.

U r entitled to your opinion. But i can guarantee to u in that situation my son's choices would be the main issue for me. Just like i can guarantee they would not be the main issue for you. I get that this idea of personal responsibility and accountability really grates on liberals, but it is a bedrock of conservatism.

Last edited:

golf

Reaction score
Geez, with a dad like you who needs a creepy uncle?🤔
Yeah, lots of neices and nephews and all have their heads on right (pun intended). We are actually a bit worried about one neice but hopefully just a phase for her. We keep Churchill's words in mind. ☺

goldengophers

Reaction score
What impact has his foundation had? Foundations generally accomplish very little. It’s most often for brand, and to give jobs to family and friends.
The burden is on you to determine how the foundation hasn't had an impact.

goldengophers

Reaction score
U r entitled to your opinion. But i can guarantee to u in that situation my son's choices would be the main issue for me. Just like i can guarantee they would not be the main issue for you. I get that this idea of personal responsibility and accountability really grates on liberals, but it is a bedrock of conservatism.
I appreciate accountability for everyone including police officers who mistake a gun for a tazer. I also appreciate fiscal responsibility and not burdening tax payers with civil settlements for an obvious error. I don't care about how you would handle a hypothetical, you keep adding it into discussions for some reason.

scools12

Reaction score
An opinion piece from Heather McDonald is your source? I want the full swath of objective academic data, not something presented via a far right opinion piece.
Ask for data, was given data and disagrees with the data presented. Why? Doesn’t fit the desired narrative. Such a fraud.

golf

Reaction score
Your son is shitfaced drunk, driving home. But he is otherwise within the law- under the speed limit, within the lanes- no indication he wouldn’t have made it home safely- he’s one block away. Another drunk driver comes across a T-intersection and broadsides your sons car. Your son is killed. Your son never saw it coming. The other driver lives. The other driver’s BAC is 0.081. Your son’s is 0.21. Your son has 3 DUIs. The other driver has no prior record.

Simple misdemeanor DUI, 2 days in the workhouse, $500 fine? Maybe even amended to Careless Driving?

I dont see the connection. Are u equating a .81 bac person with wright or floyd?

goldengophers

Reaction score
Ask for data, was given data and disagrees with the data presented. Why? Doesn’t fit the desired narrative. Such a fraud.
Your source is a fraud. You Googled and the first thing that popped up was a fraudulent far righ wing opinion piece.

golf

Reaction score
I appreciate accountability for everyone including police officers who mistake a gun for a tazer. I also appreciate fiscal responsibility and not burdening tax payers with civil settlements for an obvious error. I don't care about how you would handle a hypothetical, you keep adding it into discussions for some reason.
I think it is very instructive. You disagree. Which is fine.

golf

Reaction score
You are OK that your son's choice to be high and pass a counterfeit bill should result in his death? Chauvin took your son's life unnecessarily through gross disregard for his humanity. You are OK that your son with an apparent learning disability and who made obvious mistakes in life should be killed for attempting to drive away after resisting arrest? Death is not an acceptable outcome whether mistake or not.

Here is a case that ended up not as a homicide but police seriously injured a 13 year old boy with autism last September in SLC. If your boy was shot by the police, would you be OK with this because he got what is coming?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/police-footage-officers-shoot-13-year-old-autistic-boy

In the end, no one deserves to die for their own disabilities whether biological or chemically-induced. I have no problem if my boy is shot and killed if he has already taken a life and is threatening to take another by pointing his gun at an officer or a civilian. There is no excuse for my boy to be shot for running away because he is scared. This is not a 'police state' where these gross actions by our peacekeepers should repeatedly lead to the death of our boys. The officers must be held accountable.

He had served years in prison for drug and weapons charges. Bad choices throughout his life not just one bad day. In this case i would be content with whatever the jury ruled, innocent or guilty.

With the wright case, i would actually advocate for potter with the understanding that the court's decision would need to be honored.

GopherJake

Reaction score
I dont see the connection. Are u equating a .81 bac person with wright or floyd?
It's 0.081 and the analogy, while definitely not perfect, is blatantly obvious. The other driver killed someone (your son, in the story). Chauvin killed someone.

Also, please note, the story is for illustrative purposes only. I would not bring your son into it, had you not introduced it. Anonymous or not, as far as I'm concerned, families are completely off-limits here. I am making zero comment on your actual son and wish him nothing but the best.

Spoofin

Reaction score
I don’t know about everything in your argument here, but the bolded is spot on. Self-accountability is so over - liberals are all about victims, what/who to blame, and what the Gov’t needs to do to save them.

Top Bottom