Gamestop

GoGophersUMN

Reaction score
The "shorts" that were going to "lose billions" with this play simply won't. I suspect they were smart enough to buy long on the way up and then short again on the way down to cover most (if not more) of those losses.
Melvin Capital lost $4.5 billion in January.

Spoofin

Reaction score
If you are short, first you have to cover your short before you can go long. That covering is what drove much of the insane rally. They could reshort it again tho. But the real big winners were the hedgefunds on the sidelines who then shorted the hell out of the rally.
Melvin Capital lost $4.5 billion in January.
Well, shows you what I know 🤷‍♂️

Wally

Reaction score
Hedge-fund billionaire Ray Dalio fears the GameStop frenzy was really about wealth inequality

Section2

Reaction score
The "shorts" that were going to "lose billions" with this play simply won't. I suspect they were smart enough to buy long on the way up and then short again on the way down to cover most (if not more) of those losses.
The short squeeze was the violent move up. The funds that had giant short positions and didn’t get out right away were crushed. They would not have been able to reestablish short positions.

Wally

Reaction score
The short squeeze was the violent move up. The funds that had giant short positions and didn’t get out right away were crushed. They would not have been able to reestablish short positions.
They won't get out right away because they believe their thesis. Then when they are forced to get out by their creditors the stock price goes parabolic and they are f.

Section2

Reaction score
They won't get out right away because they believe their thesis. Then when they are forced to get out by their creditors the stock price goes parabolic and they are f.
Most good traders have the discipline to exit trades at a pre set stop loss point. Regardless of your thesis. Those traders are called: still in business

Wally

Reaction score
Most good traders have the discipline to exit trades at a pre set stop loss point. Regardless of your thesis. Those traders are called: still in business
Problem is for them to unwind a large position it impacts the stock price.

Also other hedge funds jumped in once the squeeze was on.

stocker08

Reaction score
This is correct.

stocker08

Reaction score
And the ending of this saga....and I've seen discord servers of people thinking that this is still coming back....is that there are a lot of bag holders. Unfortunate folks who thought that this was a get rich quick plan....who bought in and pumped the stock for folks who bought in earlier and sold.

Sad. But there are always unsavory folks who are more than happy to dupe people who know less out of their money.

howeda7

Reaction score
The Redditors decided to hit up LODE today. Glad I already had some. Bought at $1.05. Sold at $3.23. Missed the $4 peak, but oh well.
LODE went nuts again. I bought back in after it came back under $2.00. Today it opened at $2.28 and shot up over $9.00. Currently at $8.00.

Wally

Reaction score
LODE went nuts again. I bought back in after it came back under $2.00. Today it opened at $2.28 and shot up over $9.00. Currently at $8.00.
Have you sold?
Can't brag on speculation until you lock it in.

howeda7

Reaction score
Have you sold?
Can't brag on speculation until you lock it in.
Yes. Around $8. Missed the $9.82 high mark even though it was only 5 minutes after markets opened. Back down to $5.90 now. Hopefully it goes back under $2 again and we can go for a 3rd ride.

Top Bottom