Fox News reporter confirms Ted Cruz flew to Cancun while Texas citizens suffer

Wally

Reaction score
Its so improbable that it must be god...
specifically my god...

🙄

MennoSota

Reaction score
If I wasn't alive in ancient times, I have no clue?

Are you dismissing paleontology, archeology, anthropogeny and anthropology as invalid?
I am saying they cannot make definitive statements of what early humanoids thought. They can only make observations of what they find and then write up their own fictional narrative based on observation. No one was there. There is no dvd or vhs tape to show what early humanoids believed. It's a narrative you must accept by faith.

MennoSota

Reaction score
As soon as you do it for religion..
I am making no attempt to prove any religion. Your comment is a scapegoat. Murray made a declarative assertion. Provide the data to support the claim.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
I am saying they cannot make definitive statements of what early humanoids thought. They can only make observations of what they find and then write up their own fictional narrative based on observation. No one was there. There is no dvd or vhs tape to show what early humanoids believed. It's a narrative you must accept by faith.
Let me see if I follow.... if we base our conclusions on observation, we come up with a "fictional narrative"?

If archeology, paleontology, and anthropology produce "fictional narratives", what would you call the Book of Genesis?

Nax5

Reaction score
I stated a fact.
Murray has blind faith. However, I will listen to any actual facts that science has produced around his claim. Will you join him and provide empirical evidence?
But religious beliefs aren't fact either.

Wally

Reaction score
I am making no attempt to prove any religion. Your comment is a scapegoat. Murray made a declarative assertion. Provide the data to support the claim.
Ok, I make no claims. To me any claim is rediculous and unprovable.

Thank god my parents weren't religious. My dad went thru a phase for a couple of years after his dad died which I found interesting. Glad it didn't last long because my dad is a sit in the front row kind of guy.

That reminds me of when we were looking for a church for our wedding. We went to mass in NE, a big deep church, probably at 10% of capacity and 60% of the people were sitting in the back rows. I was like wtf, this is wierd. Must have been my dad rubbing off.

Luckily we talked with the priest and he said we should come to his church. He was retired and filling in. His church was great, right by the U, I almost want to go back because that church actually renewed my faith in humanity. Not god, because I have never believed in him. Lots of good welcoming and open minded people at that church.

We quit going after we lost our first baby at 7 months gestation... I think it was just to wierd to show up after being very pregnant with no baby. Now our kids are in Catholic School, lol, if you had asked me years ago never in a million years would I see my kids in Catholic school.

Last edited:

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Its so improbable that it must be god...
specifically my god...

🙄
Yep, and it is my specific god. My invisible friend is the one and only true invisible friend. Other people claim to have their own invisible friends, but don't be fooled by them! Their invisible friend is not real; those people are just making shit up.

Last edited:

RememberMurray

Reaction score

Thank god my parents weren't religious. My dad went thru a phase after his dad died which
Wow. Are you saying you find scientific conclusions based on archeology, paleontology, and anthropology about the origins of humanity to be as "unprovable" as religious origin stories?

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Science has provided lots of data. You are free to explore it or to ignore it.

MennoSota

Reaction score
Let me see if I follow.... if we base our conclusions on observation, we come up with a "fictional narrative"?

If archeology, paleontology, and anthropology produce "fictional narratives", what would you call the Book of Genesis?
I would call it an early version of what today's scientists attempt to do. I would also say that the two are not incompatible narratives.
I also say that neither of these can be proven absolutely. What I can say is that you have not actually supplied a narrative beyond your own personal assertion. Do you have more than that?

MennoSota

Reaction score
Science has provided lots of data. You are free to explore it or to ignore it.
Well that's perhaps the biggest Duh! statement I have read. Of course science has provided great amounts of data. Do you know the history of science and how it got its start? Here's a hint, it was reasonable theists who set out to observe and understand the laws that govern our existence. There starting point was "this universe is not meaningless. What do we observe?"
But, atheism is meaningless at its core. Any attempt to generate meaning from nothing results in either a denial of atheism via hypocrisy to the basic tenet of atheism or a dive back into nihilism. Nihilism, of course, is the end game of atheism.

MennoSota

Reaction score
But religious beliefs aren't fact either.
Correct. Facts are facts and Religion like any other worldview can support facts.
We look at data, we make a reasonable decision based upon data and what data we don't have we place into areas where we use data to establish a position about what we do not know. That area of uncertainty in connecticut with facts and reason is held there by faith.

MennoSota

Reaction score

Thank god my parents weren't religious. My dad went thru a phase for a couple of years after his dad died which I found interesting. Glad it didn't last long because my dad is a sit in the front row kind of guy.

That reminds me of when we were looking for a church for our wedding. We went to mass in NE, a big deep church, probably at 10% of capacity and 60% of the people were sitting in the back rows. I was like wtf, this is wierd. Must have been my dad rubbing off.

Luckily we talked with the priest and he said we should come to his church. He was retired and filling in. His church was great, right by the U, I almost want to go back because that church actually renewed my faith in humanity. Not god, because I have never believed in him. Lots of good welcoming and open minded people at that church.

We quit going after we lost our first baby at 7 months gestation... I think it was just to wierd to show up after being very pregnant with no baby. Now our kids are in Catholic School, lol, if you had asked me years ago never in a million years would I see my kids in Catholic school.
Your second sentence is a claim, which by your own claim would be deemed ridiculous and unprovable according to your assertion.
After that you simply tell us about your experience. If humans are merely carbon based formations, your experience is meaningless.

Wally

Reaction score
Your second sentence is a claim, which by your own claim would be deemed ridiculous and unprovable according to your assertion.
After that you simply tell us about your experience. If humans are merely carbon based formations, your experience is meaningless.
I don't attribute meaning to my experience. It is what it is. Honestly, I find more meaning or maybe I should say emotion in nature than I do in humanity. I think I trend slightly towards the autism spectrum so its not surprising.

I care for my kids, most likely because it is imprinted by biological imperative. That doesn't make it less real or significant.

MennoSota

Reaction score
I don't attribute meaning to my experience. It is what it is. Honestly, I find more meaning or maybe I should say emotion in nature than I do in humanity. I think I trend slightly towards the autism spectrum so its not surprising.

I care for my kids, most likely because it is imprinted by biological imperative. That doesn't make it less real or significant.
Good of you to admit your life is meaningless since you are an agnostic. However, you said "To me any claim is rediculous and unprovable." Do you live what you claim? If so, leave the Gopherhole and stop posting your opinion.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
I would call it an early version of what today's scientists attempt to do. I would also say that the two are not incompatible narratives.
I also say that neither of these can be proven absolutely. What I can say is that you have not actually supplied a narrative beyond your own personal assertion. Do you have more than that?
Genesis is not incompatible with science on the origin of the earth, and of the human species?

Is that a provable assertion, Menno?

I haven't supplied a "narrative"? Are you sure you understand the meaning of that word?

As far as absolute proof is concerned, only religion claims to be absolutely true, and beyond questioning. Science and the scientific method are based on constant questioning.

MennoSota

Reaction score
Genesis is not incompatible with science on the origin of the earth, and of the human species?

Is that a provable assertion, Menno?

I haven't supplied a "narrative"? Are you sure you understand the meaning of that word?

As far as absolute proof is concerned, only religion claims to be absolutely true, and beyond questioning. Science and the scientific method are based on constant questioning.
First, Genesis creation narrative, is not incompatible with the Big Bang Theory at all. Scientific observation and testing agrees with the Genesis narrative.
Second, you supplied a rudimentary narrative with your early humanoid claim.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
First, Genesis creation narrative, is not incompatible with the Big Bang Theory at all. Scientific observation and testing agrees with the Genesis narrative.
Second, you supplied a rudimentary narrative with your early humanoid claim.
In Post #400 you said (I quote): "What I can say is that you have not actually supplied a narrative beyond your own personal assertion."

In Post #407, quoted in bold above, you say I have supplied a narrative.

Which is it?

MennoSota

Reaction score
In Post #400 you said (I quote): "What I can say is that you have not actually supplied a narrative beyond your own personal assertion."

In Post #407, quoted in bold above, you say I have supplied a narrative.

Which is it?
You haven't supported your assertion, which is a rudimentary narrative I assume you took from someplace. However, you don't actually provide evidence that your assertion is valid. I will read the material you read in order to create your assertion.
I still find it odd that you, a mere carbon based life form would even care, since life is so utterly meaningless as an atheist.

Nax5

Reaction score
You have that capacity as does Wally.
I find meaning in life. It's fun to come here and banter.
I'm gunna guess that all banter here is meaningless. Gopherhole isn't hiding the meaning of life. No one ever agrees on anything. We all just come here to argue really. I dont think believing in God makes it better or worse.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
Really, religious arguments bore me. It devolves so quickly. If atheists have no standing, do accept the adherents of the three Major Abrahamic religions? Except the Muslims, because, well too foreign. But Jews are Ok, but they deny Jesus. So Christians, but not the ones where the pastor wears a dress. Just business suits.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
You haven't supported your assertion, which is a rudimentary narrative I assume you took from someplace. However, you don't actually provide evidence that your assertion is valid. I will read the material you read in order to create your assertion.
I still find it odd that you, a mere carbon based life form would even care, since life is so utterly meaningless as an atheist.
Did I supply a narrative, or did I not?

Oh, and while we're at it: which of the new Georgia senators is the atheist? Have you provided evidence that that assertion of yours is valid? Uhhhhhhh.... no. You refuse to answer a simple, direct question honestly.

Gish gallops and double-talk are your two main go-tos, but they don't make for a solid argument.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Really, religious arguments bore me. It devolves so quickly. If atheists have no standing, do accept the adherents of the three Major Abrahamic religions? Except the Muslims, because, well too foreign. But Jews are Ok, but they deny Jesus. So Christians, but not the ones where the pastor wears a dress. Just business suits.
Wears a business suit, and owns his own private jet. And he always needs money...

RememberMurray

Reaction score
I find it odd — very odd — that you seem to think a meaningful life can only be lived by a person who believes in an invisible friend.

Top Bottom