Fire Mike Sanford!!!!!

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
Truth be told, it should've been Simon's job immediately after the Auburn game. No disrespect to Sanford, but things aren't working unfortunately.
I have not been a fan of Sanford so far, but this is Fleck's 7th year with Simon. If Fleck thought he was the right person for offensive coordinator, he would have hired him. It's likely he carried out most of the game plan Kirk set for Auburn before he left.

oak_street1981

Reaction score
Sanford was a buddy hire.

That and Robb Smith have turned out to be Fleck's worst decisions here.

Agreed, it should've been Simon's job after the bowl game performance.
Simon earned the job that day but the disaster of this season probably is on Fleck and and Rossi before Sanford.

oak_street1981

Reaction score
I have not been a fan of Sanford so far, but this is Fleck's 7th year with Simon. If Fleck thought he was the right person for offensive coordinator, he would have hired him. It's likely he carried out most of the game plan Kirk set for Auburn before he left.
This is not unreasonable point, thanks. This is PJF, not Simon or the new guy.

alaska

Reaction score
I cant even watch the routes that Sanford has these guys running. No one is open, they are running all right next to eachother, no open space, no slants like last year, nothing going for a deep threat. I am sick of watching our receivers catch the ball for a 3 yard gain.

Replacement Gopher

Reaction score
It is such a step backwards, that it is tough not to agree with you, and Sanford needs to go.

Every run is Mo.
Every pass is to Bateman.
No guts in going for two points in overtime or going for it on fourth last night.

RolGnav

Reaction score
The writing was on the wall for both Rob Smith and Sanford. Fleck thinks he can win with buddy hires... But if you aren't an X's and O's guy, you better damn well hire a coordinator that is. We lost the Claeys defensive group to the NFL, we lost Fleck's stable OC to Penn State, and now... A dumpster fire of a team. The defense wasn't expected to be great, so time will tell. But the offense, the offense is down right offensive. How can that be with the talent we have? It's Sanford and his predictablility. I hope Fleck wakes up one of these days. I was one of the few that knew the issue was Rob Smith a couple of years ago and asked for his removal, and it feels eerily similar again this time.

alaska

Reaction score
But they averaged it against teams who have very suspect defenses. Finally we come across a team with average to above average defense and we get toasted. I was guessing every play from my couch! that is an issue.

alaska

Reaction score
But they averaged it against teams who have very suspect defenses. Finally we come across a team with average to above average defense and we get toasted. I was guessing every play from my couch! that is an issue.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Of course, GWG is going to giggle like the schoolgirl he is, trolling anyone who says fire Sanford.

Please don't feed him.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
Against defenses not rated in the top 70. Might have something to do with that average...
It does, and our really good offense also had trouble scoring against Iowa last year.

This season and especially last night was frustrating, but I'm not ready to just fire everyone after 4 games in a weird season.

I remember when people thought Krik C couldn't coach offense his first season here too.

upnorthkid

Reaction score
It does, and our really good offense also had trouble scoring against Iowa last year.

This season and especially last night was frustrating, but I'm not ready to just fire everyone after 4 games in a weird season.

I remember when people thought Krik C couldn't coach offense his first season here too.
could be starting to come into question over at Penn State where they are currently struggling mightily versus Nebraska

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
Until yesterday, the Gophers were averaging 37 points per game
Gopher offense has to open up and show some plays that are not expected. Too timid much of the time; Mo will be worn down to a nub - only he carries the ball, and as noted most passes are to Bateman, no imagination, running way too much. Morgan can't run laterally or forward and his passing touch is off a bit this year. Tight ends not used in the passing game.

Some guy

Reaction score
I’m going to defer to the head coach. Clearly something isn’t in sync and if the OC is the problem I’d have no trouble with the coach making that choice.

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
Other than a few times in the Maryland game, I don't have an issue with the amount we run the ball. I wish we'd mix in our backup RB a bit more. I like our run game, I don't think it's changed much at all from last year.

I do think that is part of the problem. Our passing game does not seem to be cohesive with our running game. We seem to be trying to get the TE involved more than I would like. If it happens, I think it should happen organically as part of our offense.

We need more quick hitters. I'd like to see fewer multiple WR sets on third down. I know we do it so that we can put Bateman in the slot but I don't think the multiple WR sets mix with our personnel (young WRs, OL struggles with pass blocking, accurate but not strong armed QB).

To me, it kind of feels like Sanford is the OC but was only allowed to touch the third down passing game and our passing game doesn't seem to jive with out running game. I don't love what Sanford has done, but it's just off in general.

All of that said, we have been ok on offense this year. We struggled against Iowa but we also didn't get a whole lot from our defense. It felt like our offense struggled to get every first down and we rarely even forced a third down on defense.

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
Are you guys blind? The defense is the problem, we shouldn't spend our time complaining about the offense.
Ya, yer right. 0 points for 59 minutes is no problem whatsoever. Wonder would have happened if it was 14-14 at the end of 3? Guess we’ll never know without an offense. Hoping the coaches can figure it out.

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
Dropped passes, missed throws... Mike ain't on the field.... problem is on the field.

Top Bottom