Final St. Thomas vs St. Johns game to be played in U.S. Bank Stadium

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
heard an interview with the St. John's coach (by who else, Mike Max) and that reminded me that a few years ago, the MIAC used to play a showcase series of games at the Metrodome at the end of the year. I think every team in the league played at least one game there. So the Tommie-Johnnie game has been played at a neutral site before.

Some interesting background in the interview on the decision to move the game to US Bank. This was St. John's turn to host, and the coach said they had every intention to play the game on campus, but when the "last game ever" stuff started, the demand for tickets was so great that they realized they could not accommodate the crowd on campus. St. John's can seat about 18,000 tops - and with a crowd that big, they have major issues with traffic and parking on campus. Last time the Tommie-Johnnie game was at St. John's, traffic was so bad that I-94 literally came to a dead stop.

So the St. John's folks agreed to move the game to US bank to give more fans a chance to attend. Interestingly enough, US Bank approached St. John's first, and St. John's said NO. Later, they changed their minds.

Herd

Reaction score
My guess is, with all the media coverage going into gameday, this is going to be pushing sellout territory.

As to which league, I'm hoping that they end up going all in, so to speak. I want to see Minnesota kids have a chance to stay home. I'm tired of seeing 25-30 Minnesotans playing football for NDSU... I'd rather see 'em in their home state. If St. Thomas does step up, I can see myself becoming a Tommie supporter.
There will be 30 kids from Minnesota on the Ndsu roster regardless of whether UST has DIII or DI football. Sorry, just the way it is.

Last edited:

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
heard an interview with the St. John's coach (by who else, Mike Max) and that reminded me that a few years ago, the MIAC used to play a showcase series of games at the Metrodome at the end of the year. I think every team in the league played at least one game there. So the Tommie-Johnnie game has been played at a neutral site before.

Some interesting background in the interview on the decision to move the game to US Bank. This was St. John's turn to host, and the coach said they had every intention to play the game on campus, but when the "last game ever" stuff started, the demand for tickets was so great that they realized they could not accommodate the crowd on campus. St. John's can seat about 18,000 tops - and with a crowd that big, they have major issues with traffic and parking on campus. Last time the Tommie-Johnnie game was at St. John's, traffic was so bad that I-94 literally came to a dead stop.

So the St. John's folks agreed to move the game to US bank to give more fans a chance to attend. Interestingly enough, US Bank approached St. John's first, and St. John's said NO. Later, they changed their minds.
I'm guessing US Bank adjusted the numbers.

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
There will be 30 kids from Minnesota on the Ndsu roster regardless of whether UST has DIII or DI football. Sorry, just the way it is.
either you are suggesting those 30 kids would be the same 30 kids as if UST D1 didn't exist, or you are saying those 30 kids will be a watered down version of what you get now. I'm assuming you are saying the second part, correct? UST has way more than 30 MN kids on their D3 roster and it is only natural to assume as D1, their MN crop will be improved - which cuts into NDSU. Sorry, just the way it is.

Top Bottom