FakeNews

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
Trump tweets that his Pensacola rally was "packed to the rafters". Bastion of journalistic integrity WaPo, reporter tweets out pic of half empty arena mocking Trump with the words "packed to the rafters". Problem is, the WaPo reporter tweeted a pic from hours before the rally. The WH tweeted that he'd gotten it wrong, so he quietly deleted the tweet. No formal retraction. Now the reporter claims he deleted it because another "journalist" contacted him, not because the WH blew him up. More of the same from the hate-Trump media.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/12/wapo-reporter-dave-weigel-deleted-bogus-trump-rally-photo-white-house-called-saturday-morning/

justthefacts

Reaction score
Trump tweets that his Pensacola rally was "packed to the rafters". Bastion of journalistic integrity WaPo, reporter tweets out pic of half empty arena mocking Trump with the words "packed to the rafters". Problem is, the WaPo reporter tweeted a pic from hours before the rally. The WH tweeted that he'd gotten it wrong, so he quietly deleted the tweet. No formal retraction. Now the reporter claims he deleted it because another "journalist" contacted him, not because the WH blew him up. More of the same from the hate-Trump media.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/12/wapo-reporter-dave-weigel-deleted-bogus-trump-rally-photo-white-house-called-saturday-morning/
That's completely false. Weigel apologized and explained what happened. It's also worth noting this is his personal Twitter account, not a paper or WaPo website.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This was covered all over the place, but you cited Gateway Pundit. You know, the same Gateway Pundit that incorrectly identified the shooter in Las Vegas, but then quietly deleted the post with no formal retraction. Also the same Gateway Pundit that incorrectly identified the driver that mowed down protestors in Charlottesville, but then quietly deleted the post with no formal retraction.

WaPo actually covered the dust-up: https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...2589434a581_story.html?utm_term=.63f698b78886

Did Fox News cover their deletion of a tweet that connected Lindsey Vonn's back injury to her comments about Trump:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

monk10

Golden Gopher
Reaction score
I've said on this board all the time when coming to the news. If you see quality control checks in place you know they have integrity. The inability to understand the changing information in our dynamic world continues to be the bedrock that the Trumps of the world can take advantage of.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
That's completely false. Weigel apologized and explained what happened. It's also worth noting this is his personal Twitter account, not a paper or WaPo website.

This was covered all over the place, but you cited Gateway Pundit. You know, the same Gateway Pundit that incorrectly identified the shooter in Las Vegas, but then quietly deleted the post with no formal retraction. Also the same Gateway Pundit that incorrectly identified the driver that mowed down protestors in Charlottesville, but then quietly deleted the post with no formal retraction.

WaPo actually covered the dust-up: https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...2589434a581_story.html?utm_term=.63f698b78886

Did Fox News cover their deletion of a tweet that connected Lindsey Vonn's back injury to her comments about Trump:

Good stuff. He tweets fake news, then quietly deletes in. When called out by the WH he finally apologizes, but credits another "journalist" for alerting him, rather than the WH tweets. This is exactly why the MSM is held in such low esteem. As evidenced by this asshat, places like the WaPo are filled with people carrying intense political agendas. Journalists no longer want to inform the public, they want to sway the public.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
I've said on this board all the time when coming to the news. If you see quality control checks in place you know they have integrity. The inability to understand the changing information in our dynamic world continues to be the bedrock that the Trumps of the world can take advantage of.
wtf? So a so-called news outlet can report bad information repeatedly and as long as they run a minor retraction on page 29 each time, they have integrity? How about hiring reporters who want to report the news, rather than act as political activists? That would show integrity.

justthefacts

Reaction score
Good stuff. He tweets fake news, then quietly deletes in. When called out by the WH he finally apologizes, but credits another "journalist" for alerting him, rather than the WH tweets. This is exactly why the MSM is held in such low esteem. As evidenced by this asshat, places like the WaPo are filled with people carrying intense political agendas. Journalists no longer want to inform the public, they want to sway the public.
And so you expect more from a guy on Twitter than you do the President of the United States.

bga1

Reaction score
wtf? So a so-called news outlet can report bad information repeatedly and as long as they run a minor retraction on page 29 each time, they have integrity? How about hiring reporters who want to report the news, rather than act as political activists? That would show integrity.
It's not just that they get things wrong....

The amazing part of this is that when they get it wrong they almost 100% are getting it wrong in stories that attack Trump or the right.
I can't even think of a time where the MSM did a piece that revealed bad news about a lefty or about the left, where it was later found that they blew it. When the news is bad for the left, the MSM waits forever to put it out there- claiming that they have to validate sources or else they just ignore it. If it is against Trump, they jump on it. Let any fact checking occur later (with far less fanfare).

bga1

Reaction score
And so you expect more from a guy on Twitter than you do the President of the United States.
The President's twitter account, bizarre as it seems to you, (and on occasion to me) has driven a ton of his agenda very effectively. He tweets wildly, the press attacks and he gets publicity for the cause. He knows how to work them to get his message out. If he was mild mannered in his twitter account he would get no press for it, he would get 1/3 the following and his message would not get out there.

There would be no need for Trump to tweet if we had an unbiased media. But because we have the MSM that we have (90% left of center) the only way the Trump agenda gets out there is via Twitter.

GopherJake

Reaction score
B.G.A., exactly how whiny is your voice, when you talk about the first amendment - specifically, freedom of the press? I imagine it as high-pitched as a 4 year old girl who just got her candy cane taken away.

Please advise.

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
B.G.A., exactly how whiny is your voice, when you talk about the first amendment - specifically, freedom of the press? I imagine it as high-pitched as a 4 year old girl who just got her candy cane taken away.

Please advise.
GJ, that's constructive.

justthefacts

Reaction score
The President's twitter account, bizarre as it seems to you, (and on occasion to me) has driven a ton of his agenda very effectively. He tweets wildly, the press attacks and he gets publicity for the cause. He knows how to work them to get his message out. If he was mild mannered in his twitter account he would get no press for it, he would get 1/3 the following and his message would not get out there.

There would be no need for Trump to tweet if we had an unbiased media. But because we have the MSM that we have (90% left of center) the only way the Trump agenda gets out there is via Twitter.
He lies constantly. Every, single, day. Not just on twitter, but in speeches. He never, ever, ever apologizes or retracts or corrects. He lies about golf. He lies about TV. He lies about numbers. He objectively lies on a daily basis. When a Sarah Sanders lies she's not suspended.

bga1

Reaction score
He lies constantly. Every, single, day. Not just on twitter, but in speeches. He never, ever, ever apologizes or retracts or corrects. He lies about golf. He lies about TV. He lies about numbers. He objectively lies on a daily basis. When a Sarah Sanders lies she's not suspended.
He is a marketer and a spinner- not a liar.

I think he doesn't care about exact numbers- he cares about concepts and getting those concepts through. He is off on a lot of information but I don't think these are "you can keep your doctor" or "the average family will save $2500 on health insurance" scale lies but rather wild estimates of what how he views things. He knows that the press will jump to correct inaccuracy (unlike when Obama, the consummate liar was in office)- and he is happy about it because he gets press for it and he knows that the people don't care about the exact numbers but about the ideas.

Let's analyze some of his big "lies." You present them and let us agree or disagree.

GopherJake

Reaction score
It's okay, let Jake be who he is.
Whining about the media is extremely weak-minded. There are literally hundreds of media outlets out there that come from your angle.

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
Whining about the media is extremely weak-minded. There are literally hundreds of media outlets out there that come from your angle.
But none of them have the resources and viewership avenues that the MSM due. They have shown to have a liberal agenda. And they are backed by billion dollar companies. Fox News is the MSM on the conservative side.But the hundreds of media outlets for conservatives is marginal at best.

The everyday Joe that doesn't have the time or desire to dig into facts shouldn't have to worry about news actually being propaganda. And doesn't worry, meaning he can't tell the difference.

News is a whole different animal than it used to be. If you don't dedicate time to be informed, you will be informed to the point that your favorite MSM outlet will let you be

stocker08

Reaction score

I think he doesn't care about exact numbers- he cares about concepts and getting those concepts through. He is off on a lot of information but I don't think these are "you can keep your doctor" or "the average family will save $2500 on health insurance" scale lies but rather wild estimates of what how he views things. He knows that the press will jump to correct inaccuracy (unlike when Obama, the consummate liar was in office)- and he is happy about it because he gets press for it and he knows that the people don't care about the exact numbers but about the ideas.

Let's analyze some of his big "lies." You present them and let us agree or disagree.
The uninformed and uneducated south eats up his lies as fact. Several of the posters (beej) on this board do as well. Face it....Drumpf is a liar and you are a hypocrite.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

justthefacts

Reaction score

For a guy who doesn't care about exact numbers, he sure uses them a lot.

Ah, you can keep your plan. Everybody remembers the 2 or 3 things Obama didn't follow through on because he didn't lie constantly.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/grap...ms-database/?tid=a_inl&utm_term=.b8dcfabd3306

NOV 7 2017
“The deal is so bad for rich people, I had to throw in the estate tax just to give them something.”

No matter how you slice it, the superwealthy do rather well under the House GOP proposal. Not only do they benefit from a reduction in tax rates, but there are numerous other provisions that benefits the wealthy, including repeal of the alternative minimum tax and lower rate for pass-through entities. The top one percent end up with about 47 percent of the tax cuts, according to the Tax Policy Center.

NOV 6 2017
“The state of Virginia economy, under Democrat rule, has been terrible.”

Virginia has among the lowest unemployment rates in the United States -- lower than the rest of the country.
NOV 5 2017
“You see what we've done with ISIS in eight months. I've done more than the previous administration done during the entire two terms of the administration.”

By just about every metric, this is not correct. Obama set up virtually all the structure that did the key fighting under Trump, and more land was captured, fighters trained and munitions dropped under Obama than under Trump. The basic plan of attack in 2017 was also developed under Obama, though Trump appears to have speeded up the tempo.
NOV 6 2017
“You saw Broadcom is coming in -- top 100 company -- they announced on Thursday from the Oval Office.”

Broadcom was once on the Fortune 500, but fell off in recent years.
NOV 4 2017
“The reason our stock market is so successful is because of me. I've always been great with money.”
The stock market had scores of all-time highs under Obama.

NOV 2 2017
“Something we're seeing now is, for the first time in a long time, wages are starting to rise for people.”

This is wrong. Wages have been rising steadily since 2014, for a gain of 7.3 percent over the past three years.
NOV 2 2017
“One of the greatest [economic revivals] in the history of our country.”

This is absurd. Trump inherited a low-unemployment, low-inflation economy from Barack Obama. The only thing that changed is that Trump no longer dismissed the economic data as fake.
NOV 2 2017
“This guy would be tied up forever in the court system. You look at some of the cases that are going on forever and you have them dead to rights? Now, the justice system has to go quicker and it has to be, really, stronger and fairer. Probably has to be fairer too.”

An examination of 23 major terrorism cases conducted through the courts since the Sept. 11 attacks finds the process took less than two years — or even a year. The longest case took 35 months. One case — the failed Times Square bomber — was completed in just seven weeks. The average duration between indictment and conviction of the 23 cases is 16.2 months. Many militants ended up pleading guilty, which attests to the strength of the government’s case. Except in a handful of indictments, it’s difficult to see much evidence for Trump’s claim that some cases "are going on forever."
NOV 2 2017
“They’re big tax cuts – the biggest cuts in the history of our country, actually.”

Trump’s tax cut would be nearly 0.9 percent of the gross domestic product, meaning it would be far smaller than President Ronald Reagan’s tax cut in 1981, which was 2.89 percent of GDP. Trump’s tax cut, if enacted in law, would be the eighth largest tax cut — and even smaller than two tax cuts passed under Barack Obama.
NOV 2 2017
“Drugs are pouring into our country. A lot of them are coming in through the southern border and the wall will be a tremendous tool to help facilitate the ending of the drugs coming in.”

Trump claims a border wall between the U.S. and Mexico will help stop illegal drugs from being trafficked into the country. But a wall will have virtually no effect on drug trafficking. That's because the majority of drugs are driven across the border through legal points of entry, or smuggled in underground tunnels.

howeda7

Reaction score
When major news outlets make a mistake, they retract or correct the story, and very often someone is suspended or fired. In those situations, Conservatives decry the state of the modern media and use those cases to ignore any news they don't like.

On the other hand, the President of the United States lies to them daily, including many lies which are eminently verifiable, and they place all of their trust in him, even reversing course on positions they had held for years.
Yep. It's totally pathetic.

howeda7

Reaction score
Trump tells lies on a daily basis, many of them laughably obvious. And you say nothing. Hypocrite.

howeda7

Reaction score

You keep going back to the 'You can keep your doctor' because there's not much there with Obama. Trump lies more times in a week than Obama or Bush did in 8 years. And you wave your pom poms for it. And you can tell yourself it's part of some brilliant strategy. But it isn't. It's to feed his ego.

My inaugural crowd was the biggest. My rallies are the biggest and packed to the rafters. The NYT is failing because they're mean to me. Black home ownership is at an all-time high thanks to me. I have more accomplishments than any President in history. And on and on. It's the type of lie the little kid hitting baseballs tells himself when he throws the ball up in the air three times and misses. "I'm the greatest pitcher ever!" Our President has the mindset of an 8-year old.

bga1

Reaction score
For a guy who doesn't care about exact numbers, he sure uses them a lot.

Ah, you can keep your plan. Everybody remembers the 2 or 3 things Obama didn't follow through on because he didn't lie constantly.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/grap...ms-database/?tid=a_inl&utm_term=.b8dcfabd3306

The stock market had scores of all-time highs under Obama.
HA! That's what you have? My goodness that is weak. Obama lied constantly - but the media loved it. So nobody talked about it or cared in the MSM.

This is a ridiculous list - most all of your "Trump lies" are actually WaPo lies or WaPo opinions.

It is a fact that Obama never had a 3% gdp growth year
It is a fact that Obama ran up 10 trillion in debt to do it- handing forward to Trump a massive mess for the years ahead.
It is a fact that tighter borders restrict drugs
It is a fact that the stock markets under Obama didn't reflect a booming economy but rather were reflective of Fed easing that offered few other harbors for investing
Obama a Tax cutter? LOL!!!
The Obama economy featured massive underemployment and historically low labor force participation.
It is a fact that Trump has done much better against ISIS than Obama, who essentially breathed life into ISIS

justthefacts

Reaction score
HA! That's what you have? My goodness that is weak. Obama lied constantly - but the media loved it. So nobody talked about it or cared in the MSM.

This is a ridiculous list - most all of your "Trump lies" are actually WaPo lies or WaPo opinions.

It is a fact that Obama never had a 3% gdp growth year
It is a fact that Obama ran up 10 trillion in debt to do it- handing forward to Trump a massive mess for the years ahead.
It is a fact that tighter borders restrict drugs
It is a fact that the stock markets under Obama didn't reflect a booming economy but rather were reflective of Fed easing that offered few other harbors for investing
Obama a Tax cutter? LOL!!!
The Obama economy featured massive underemployment and historically low labor force participation.
It is a fact that Trump has done much better against ISIS than Obama, who essentially breathed life into ISIS
Trump hasn't had a 3% GDP growth year. The debt that isn't covered at all, but Bush actually handed Obama an actual recession. He was talking about the wall specifically.

Your line about Obama as a taxcutter is a total non-sequitir. Trump says his tax cut is the largest ever. It's not. That's made up.

Please describe the policy changes that Trump made that led to a change in the direction of the war on ISIS. http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/05/31/trumps-secret-plan-to-defeat-isis-looks-a-lot-like-obamas/

ISIS was losing territory and running out of money all throughout 2016.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...r-morale-is-it-all-over-for-isis-syria-turkey
http://www.businessinsider.com/r-is...0-percent-on-lower-oil-tax-revenue-ihs-2016-4
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/isis-shrinking-territory-iraq-syria-new-revenue/
http://time.com/4373082/iraq-isis-fallujah/

This does remind me of the time that Obama literally founded ISIS.

LesBolstad

Reaction score

howeda7

Reaction score
I'm not logging to Trump's twitter feed every night at 10pm to get my daily news.
Trump has tens of millions more followers than random reporter dude. And millions of them take his lies as the truth and anything calling his lies out as "fake news". But only one gets your outrage. Fair and Balanced.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
Great piece by uber-progressive & Trump hater, Glenn Greenwald of the Intercept. He documents how bad the mainstream media has become with publishing fake news stories about Russia and or Trump.

Some highlights...

- Russia hacked into the U.S. electric grid to deprive Americans of heat during winter (Wash Post)
- An anonymous group (PropOrNot) documented how major U.S. political sites are Kremlin agents (Wash Post)
- WikiLeaks has a long, documented relationship with Putin (Guardian)
- A secret server between Trump and a Russian bank has been discovered (Slate)
- RT hacked C-SPAN and caused disruption in its broadcast (Fortune)
- Russians hacked into a Ukrainian artillery app (Crowdstrike)
- Russians attempted to hack elections systems in 21 states (multiple news outlets, echoing Homeland Security)
- Links have been found between Trump ally Anthony Scaramucci and a Russian investment fund under investigation (CNN)

https://theintercept.com/2017/12/09/the-u-s-media-yesterday-suffered-its-most-humiliating-debacle-in-ages-now-refuses-all-transparency-over-what-happened/

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
Trump has tens of millions more followers than random reporter dude. And millions of them take his lies as the truth and anything calling his lies out as "fake news". But only one gets your outrage. Fair and Balanced.
I stand by what I said before. Bill Maher, Sean Hannity, Steven Colbert, Joy Behar, Alex Jones, Tucker Carlson and yes, even Donald Trump's twitter, should not be mistaken for the nightly news.

howeda7

Reaction score
I stand by what I said before. Bill Maher, Sean Hannity, Steven Colbert, Joy Behar, Alex Jones, Tucker Carlson and yes, even Donald Trump's twitter, should not be mistaken for the nightly news.
So you don't think the President of the United States has any more obligation to be truthful than a conspiracy nut job like Alex Jones? Seriously? If Obama spewwed out the lies on Twitter that Trump does you and Beeg would be enraged.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
So you don't think the President of the United States has any more obligation to be truthful than a conspiracy nut job like Alex Jones? Seriously? If Obama spewwed out the lies on Twitter that Trump does you and Beeg would be enraged.
By my count Alex Jones has less incidents of fake news this year than the WaPo, NYT or CNN.

Top Bottom