Evidence of Structural Racism

LesBolstad

Reaction score
Black Lives Don' Matter When it's Blacks Murdering Blacks: #1593609713670.png

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
I'm not even sure what is being argued here.
Claim--Black people face discrimination in employment and housing.
Counter Claim--Black people shoot black people, it isn't always white people shooting black people.

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
Walz & Ellison hinted at some of this stuff at the height of the Floyd protests. Things like residential housing restrictions, banking access, food deserts all contribute to structural racism. Statues, lake names, and body cams won't do much of anything until we address some of these root causes.

justthefacts

Reaction score
Walz & Ellison hinted at some of this stuff at the height of the Floyd protests. Things like residential housing restrictions, banking access, food deserts all contribute to structural racism. Statues, lake names, and body cams won't do much of anything until we address some of these root causes.

Spaulding!No!

Reaction score
Does he mean police reform like the GOP has put forth but the Dems refuse to work on? Or not that kind of police reform?
He’s right. Now we gotta be sure to stay on track either the original goal or the Illuminati win

bga1

Reaction score
There are a few things that are certain in terms of blacks doing better or worse:

1. A strong, deregulated economy bolstered by lower taxes means much lower black unemployment and higher black wages. That has been proven in the Trump years.

2. Illegal immigration is most damaging to black employment and black wages. Estimates show that as many a 1 million blacks do not have entry level jobs because of competition for illegals. Entry level jobs lead to better jobs as skills are gained. This should be obvious. Studies have shown that the presence of illegals cost the average black employee $1300 per year.

The Democrat party is the worst thing that ever happened to blacks prospering. There's your systemic racism- The Democrat Party. Bigotry in a mask= The Democrat party.

If Biden is elected blacks will get more handouts and fewer jobs.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
This is such a red herring, but if you care so much, you'll call for more gun control. Most of the guns being used in Chicago are coming in from Indiana.
Criminals and gang members will get guns regardless of whether they’re legal sales or not. By definition, they don’t care if they are breaking the law. Maybe prosecutors should stop dropping illegal gun charges allowing criminals to get out of the more serious offenses in return for the lesser guilty pleas. Stop and frisk was THE most effective way of getting illegal guns off the streets, but the left thinks it’s racist.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
I'm not even sure what is being argued here.
Claim--Black people face discrimination in employment and housing.
Counter Claim--Black people shoot black people, it isn't always white people shooting black people.
JTf derailed his own thread

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
Just going to start a thread with these studies.

I’m not signing up to read your article, but the theory isn’t surprising. It’s probably true that a white male with a lower pay history won’t get paid as much as a white guy with a higher pay history with similar job experience.

Regarding your second tweet, the reasons for choosing renters may have an economic considerations as well as a racial component. We have laws against racial discrimination for renters.

The best way for an individual to overcome job pay issues or rental issues is to the best that they can to improve themselves educationally and professionally. I will guarantee you that minority individuals who do those things will not have to depend on laws limiting information to employers about pay history and will be insignificantly impacted by racial biases. In fact, they will be in great demand by employers.

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
Does he mean police reform like the GOP has put forth but the Dems refuse to work on? Or not that kind of police reform?
You mean the Senate majority won't work on the bill that Nancy Pelosi's controlled house passed, right?

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Banking access?
How so?

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
You mean the Senate majority won't work on the bill that Nancy Pelosi's controlled house passed, right?
Nancy Pelosi lover! You’re so conservative. ?

The Senate Dems gave Tim Scott the middle finger. They wouldn’t allow it to be debated.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
Food deserts exist in Mpls because of Black rioting in the 1960's. As long as businesses are trying to make a profit, they will shy away from building where they're likely to have their stores burned down, or have their products stolen at unreasonable rates compared to other neighborhoods.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
I don't see how either of these are racism? Classism for sure, but racism? I'd bet property owners are willing to show Jason Tatum, or Cam Newton any apartment they like.
According to Richard Sherman, Cam Newton is being discriminated against by the NFL b/c his contract is full of contingencies and he is being under paid.

Poor Cam Newton. Poor poor much injured, Cam Newton. The Patriots want to make sure they don’t pay a load of money for him to be on the sidelines in street clothes and the NFL is discriminating against him.

There is no end to tearing down statues that the left doesn’t like, there is no end to re-imagining our wretched America, and there is no end to racism against black multi-millionaires.

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
There are a few things that are certain in terms of blacks doing better or worse:

1. A strong, deregulated economy bolstered by lower taxes means much lower black unemployment and higher black wages. That has been proven in the Trump years.

2. Illegal immigration is most damaging to black employment and black wages. Estimates show that as many a 1 million blacks do not have entry level jobs because of competition for illegals. Entry level jobs lead to better jobs as skills are gained. This should be obvious. Studies have shown that the presence of illegals cost the average black employee $1300 per year.

The Democrat party is the worst thing that ever happened to blacks prospering. There's your systemic racism- The Democrat Party. Bigotry in a mask= The Democrat party.

If Biden is elected blacks will get more handouts and fewer jobs.
I don't think broad issues like tax reform or immigration will do much because those structural things are still in place. We need more targeted reform. And frankly, we can't wait around for the federal government to do anything meaningful. Ideally, leave it up to state & local governments to figure out, with hopefully some broad guidelines from federal.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
I don't think broad issues like tax reform or immigration will do much because those structural things are still in place. We need more targeted reform. And frankly, we can't wait around for the federal government to do anything meaningful. Ideally, leave it up to state & local governments to figure out, with hopefully some broad guidelines from federal.
It's economics, not racism. It's frsutrating to me, because it seems to obvious. We've been doing it since 2017 & the results speak for themselves. Bring manufacturing back to the inner cities & employ people in low skilled, good paying, career jobs. Under Trump, non-supervisory wages rose faster than supervisory wages for the 1st time in 10 years, and then it rose 3 straight years, plus was on track for a fourth straight year when Covid blew it up. That's how you bridge the income gap. The 3 jobs that grew the fastest in that period were truck drivers, construction workers & manufacturing. All jobs a poor, inner city Black guy with a HS diploma can get, that also pay well. They pay so well in fact, that tens of thousands of Blacks came off the unemployment rolls to take those jobs. People will not leave welfare for a job paying $10 p/h. There's just no incentive. What we learned is that those same people will come off the dole for a job paying $25 p/h. It lowered Black unemployment to the lowest rate in US history. Now, imagine when the UCMCA kicks in & all those new factories have to be built & staffed! You don't have to like Trump, but a fair minded person who cares about inner city Blacks, must admit the Trump admin did very well for Blacks economically. The best thing Biden could do is promise more of the same.

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
Banking access?
How so?
I'm just recalling previous things I've heard/read, so don't have a link. But disproportionately less access to local branches in some neighborhoods, for example. Profiling, redlining, worse terms, things like that.

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
What do you guys think of open enrollment for public schools? In general, I'm against it. Parents with the means transport their kids to a better school, while the local school continues to struggle. I prefer people stay in their district and improve their local schools. I've lived in both Mpls & Rochester, though my kids were too young to attend Mpls schools. Mpls has open enrollment; Rochester does not. Maybe my thoughts would change if I had kids in Mpls schools. But I do like that Rochester is not open enrollment. Some schools certainly still struggle more than others, but overall it seems more equitable and diverse.

I also don't think school funding should be tied to property taxes. The rich get richer.

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
Should we look at bail reform? Those with the means can post bail; those that can't stay in jail. And then of course we get into bail bonds, loan sharks, and bounty hunters.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
What do you guys think of open enrollment for public schools? In general, I'm against it. Parents with the means transport their kids to a better school, while the local school continues to struggle. I prefer people stay in their district and improve their local schools. I've lived in both Mpls & Rochester, though my kids were too young to attend Mpls schools. Mpls has open enrollment; Rochester does not. Maybe my thoughts would change if I had kids in Mpls schools. But I do like that Rochester is not open enrollment. Some schools certainly still struggle more than others, but overall it seems more equitable and diverse.

I also don't think school funding should be tied to property taxes. The rich get richer.
How about IB/accelerated programs in inner city schools? In Mpls & St Paul, they tend to result in academic segregation. i.e. White, liberal families living in the city say "We want our kids to attend diverse, public schools", but will only send their kids to the school if there's an IB/accelerated program available, that will be almost entirely White. My kids were at St Paul Central in the IB/accelerated program. Eventually I came to see the suburban & private schools as far more integrated.

STPGopher

Reaction score
Burning down an Aldi and a Target and a Cub contributes to food deserts, for sure. And makes it less likely that someone wants to build there.
I don't know about St. Paul, but much of this was NOT done by Minneapolis residents.

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
It's economics, not racism. It's frsutrating to me, because it seems to obvious. We've been doing it since 2017 & the results speak for themselves. Bring manufacturing back to the inner cities & employ people in low skilled, good paying, career jobs. Under Trump, non-supervisory wages rose faster than supervisory wages for the 1st time in 10 years, and then it rose 3 straight years, plus was on track for a fourth straight year when Covid blew it up. That's how you bridge the income gap. The 3 jobs that grew the fastest in that period were truck drivers, construction workers & manufacturing. All jobs a poor, inner city Black guy with a HS diploma can get, that also pay well. They pay so well in fact, that tens of thousands of Blacks came off the unemployment rolls to take those jobs. People will not leave welfare for a job paying $10 p/h. There's just no incentive. What we learned is that those same people will come off the dole for a job paying $25 p/h. It lowered Black unemployment to the lowest rate in US history. Now, imagine when the UCMCA kicks in & all those new factories have to be built & staffed! You don't have to like Trump, but a fair minded person who cares about inner city Blacks, must admit the Trump admin did very well for Blacks economically. The best thing Biden could do is promise more of the same.
In general, I agree. I don't think most people are overtly racist. But there are implicit biases and structural things. And yes, anything we can do to create jobs is good.

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
How about IB/accelerated programs in inner city schools? In Mpls & St Paul, they tend to result in academic segregation. i.e. White, liberal families living in the city say "We want our kids to attend diverse, public schools", but will only send their kids to the school if there's an IB/accelerated program available, that will be almost entirely White. My kids were at St Paul Central in the IB/accelerated program. Eventually I came to see the suburban & private schools as far more integrated.
Good question. I think in Rochester they're trying to expand those programs to include more schools. Without digging too deep into it, I think each HS has it but not all middle schools. The simple answer is to have those programs in all schools, but I suppose it's a matter of resources.

Section2

Reaction score
food deserts! Haha, that's priceless.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
Central, Highland and Harding are all IB schools. I'd argue it is more about retention, than attraction. Yes, different floors for different scores. The alternative is to make it all crap.

Top Bottom