End Racism on Gopherhole: Yes or No?

End racism on Gopherhole?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

MinneStoa

Reaction score
You should paint it on your house and car.
Both of those actions have very clear downsides in that painting any message on a house or car reduces the resale value of each asset. So this suggestion is entirely irrelevant to my point.

You really think someone is going to read this thread and the racism in the thread is the thing that'll stand out?
I have no idea, but it's certainly a possibility. Which is why I prefaced that sentence with "If...". This thread has been pretty benign, but the deflection and whataboutism in the other thread (currently 184 posts) dedicated to this topic is certainly more likely to elicit a stronger response.

kisarazu

Reaction score
really

Edit: archiving this thread as it goes. @Nadine, can you at least perma ban the “no” ? ip ban please.
I'm a minority. Maybe you should tell me more on how to conform to your rules. My ancestors are used to that.

Again, I am completely against racism. (Edit: I can't believe that in the 21st century I have to say that, but there it is) But why should anyone conform to your poll because you wish it?

Last edited:

MaroonShaft

Reaction score
I'm a minority. Maybe you should tell me more on how to conform to your rules. My ancestors are used to that.

Again, I am completely against racism. But why should anyone conform to your poll because you wish it?
bye

if you choose to answer no to such a simple question, you’re gone.

Wanna change your vote?

Oh? It won’t let you?

they do say actions have consequences

MaroonShaft

Reaction score
@Nadine - smoking out the racists doesn’t even require fire. this is truly effortless work.

kisarazu

Reaction score
bye

if you choose to answer no to such a simple question, you’re gone.

Wanna change your vote?

Oh? It won’t let you?

they do say actions have consequences
Why would I? It's a poll not my point of view.

John Galt

Reaction score
without looking at the other thread I asked my son while we watched the game tonight if the Gopher's jerseys would trigger the folks that think racism is over and there is an equal playing field for all and he said yes. Sadly it sounds like that is the case. C'mon people it shouldn't be hard for everyone to agree that Black Lives Matter and support these young student athletes of color who have had to endure racism their entire life. Proud of the team for making the statement they did.
I have a black anesthesiologist that lives 3 houses away from me and has 3 kids. He lives in an $800k house and sends his kids to private school. How much racism and difficulty are they enduring?

The very idea that you assume all black kids are enduring racism is incredibly short sighted. The story for every kid is different- quit stereotyping and think that you know someone has had it more difficult in life because of the color of their skin.

Word

Eats difficult conversations
Reaction score
I have a black anesthesiologist that lives 3 houses away from me and has 3 kids. He lives in an $800k house and sends his kids to private school. How much racism and difficulty are they enduring?

The very idea that you assume all black kids are enduring racism is incredibly short sighted. The story for every kid is different- quit stereotyping and think that you know someone has had it more difficult in life because of the color of their skin.
Have you ever asked your neighbor what kind of racism they've endured? My wife is a minority and is quite successful, yet she has experienced racism many times in her life. I have a black neighbor who makes a lot more money than I do. We hang out and talk frequently and I can tell you that he has endured all kinds of racism in his life and succeeded in spite of the racism.

I grew up in a basically all-white community. But through my marriage and a career that has allowed me to truly get to know people of many different cultural and ethnic backgrounds, I can tell you that racism exists and it sucks for those that have to endure it. I don't think we will ever get rid of it completely, but ending it is a noble goal and something worth trying.

West Fargo Gopher Fan

Section 114 Row 2
Reaction score
I voted yes because racism is awful.

Having said that I don't think this belongs on the football forum.

Some of us choose to avoid the bickering and hateful threads whether they are political or not.

John Galt

Reaction score
Have you ever asked your neighbor what kind of racism they've endured? My wife is a minority and is quite successful, yet she has experienced racism many times in her life. I have a black neighbor who makes a lot more money than I do. We hang out and talk frequently and I can tell you that he has endured all kinds of racism in his life and succeeded in spite of the racism.

I grew up in a basically all-white community. But through my marriage and a career that has allowed me to truly get to know people of many different cultural and ethnic backgrounds, I can tell you that racism exists and it sucks for those that have to endure it. I don't think we will ever get rid of it completely, but ending it is a noble goal and something worth trying.
He’s a good dude and seems to be happy in life. I’ve never directly asked him what type of racism he’s endured, and he’s never asked me what type of difficult obstacles I’ve endured in life. That would be kind of weird- wouldn’t it? “Hey, despite all of your degrees and economic success, I’m sure you’ve endured racism. Tell me about it.”

Gold Rush

Reaction score
If you want to end racism the best person to start with is yourself. Remember that wherever you go you act as an ambassador of everything you are, whether it is your faith, your color, sex, age, or even as a Gopher fan. Stay classy, try to help those less fortunate than yourself and treat others as you would want to be treated yourself. It's not that hard.

Word

Eats difficult conversations
Reaction score
He’s a good dude and seems to be happy in life. I’ve never directly asked him what type of racism he’s endured, and he’s never asked me what type of difficult obstacles I’ve endured in life. That would be kind of weird- wouldn’t it? “Hey, despite all of your degrees and economic success, I’m sure you’ve endured racism. Tell me about it.”
I think that would be an awkward conversation to have if you didn't really know the person well. It's probably the kind of thing that wouldn't come up until you have deeper conversations when you really get to know someone. Maybe you'd learn something new if you did.

MaroonShaft

Reaction score
More to come later in the day, but for now:
5 fascists in the chat.

@Nadine, if you need someone to ip-ban these 5, I vote we appoint someone as the MINISTER OF RACISM or something. someone to vet these ghouls. Someone with power-mod history who knows how to use the ban hammer responsibly.

Nadine honestly I think you probably are too busy to know what really goes on here. I can’t tell if you’re part of the problem or just in over your head in 2020.

I think we should take some positive step to try and align the board with the standards of the U and the program. A positive among so much negative that happens when racists are aloud to be racist in peace (on a PUBLIC forum, where PLAYERS NAMES are used, that RECRUITS READ, that is closely AFFILIATED w/ UMN.......)

we can do this the easy way

or the hard!!!

Both excite me in different ways. I’d like to handle this as a “community.” Without getting the Daily or anyone involved just yet.

Maybe the Daily could write a positive piece about how we tackled racism on the board. How do you all want this to go down?

Nadine?

Last edited:

MaroonShaft

Reaction score
I voted yes because racism is awful.

Having said that I don't think this belongs on the football forum.

Some of us choose to avoid the bickering and hateful threads whether they are political or not.
Your profile pic makes sense.
Sorry.
It’s an issue on THIS BOARD

MaroonShaft

Reaction score
This thread is what happens when you shut down bars and someone decides to go on one final public bender. This was more entertaining than the game itself.
i missed the game to post. First game I’ve missed in years.That’s how important I think this is.

did I go about it the right way? In retrospect? IDK.

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score
If you want to end racism the best person to start with is yourself. Remember that wherever you go you act as an ambassador of everything you are, whether it is your faith, your color, sex, age, or even as a Gopher fan. Stay classy, try to help those less fortunate than yourself and treat others as you would want to be treated yourself. It's not that hard.
Precisely, 100%! Well said.

The problem is the folks that are pretty sure they have it all figured out for themselves so they feel the compelling need to set out to focus their efforts on everyone else, tell them how bad of people they are and that they should be ashamed and 'priveleged'.

Top Bottom