Eli King commits to Iowa State

Spaulding!No!

Reaction score
Why are we worried about whats the campus and the people are like at Iowa State. Every campus has its good and perhaps not so good points. Every University has good majors to choose from. Every player that visits a particular campus will either have good feelings, an ok feeling or not so good feelings. A player simply has to pick a school that is right for him or her. If King felt great at Iowa State, then thats where he should go. Do you want him to go to the U here if he didn't have a good feeling? No, his heart wouldn't be right.
Bringing the heat!

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
So, I have not read this entire thread - but I have relatives in SE MN, so I think this is accurate:

The Head Coach at Iowa State used to be the head Coach at So Dakota State. Eli King's older brother Owen King was recruited by that coach to SDSU. FWIW, when the Coach moved to Iowa State, Owen King lost playing time under the new coach and transferred to Winona State.

But, the point is that the Iowa State Coach had recruited King's brother, so he had an established relationship with the King family, giving Iowa State a big leg up in the recruiting process.

MNfootballfan

Reaction score
So, I have not read this entire thread - but I have relatives in SE MN, so I think this is accurate:

The Head Coach at Iowa State used to be the head Coach at So Dakota State. Eli King's older brother Owen King was recruited by that coach to SDSU. FWIW, when the Coach moved to Iowa State, Owen King lost playing time under the new coach and transferred to Winona State.

But, the point is that the Iowa State Coach had recruited King's brother, so he had an established relationship with the King family, giving Iowa State a big leg up in the recruiting process.
Not only that, the middle King son (Noah) had verbally committed to the coach prior to him leaving SDSU. When coach left SDSU, Noah backed out of his commitment and Owen transferred.

Fair to say the King family has a lot of respect for him.

MNVCGUY

Reaction score

Yep, for those not looking to just bash Johnson this angle has been discussed as to why King would have a lot of interest in Iowa State.

But for those that are still salty about the hire, things like that don't matter as apparently Johnson has to sign every top Minnesota kid in 2022 or he is a total failure and we were sold a false bill of goods by Coyle.

alchemy2u

Reaction score

Nailed it.

Can we just create a

SON Summary Thread

where you can just summarize each of the other threads so most of us can be kept updated without have to wade through all the other BS?

Minnesara

Reaction score
It's not additional ammo. That was how it was sold to the public. It put a target on Ben prematurely.

But your point is correct. The people who don't like the hiring, it'll give them layups to rip Ben. For the casual fan, they'll notice the locals signing elsewhere. For the people who loved the hiring of Ben Johnson because they expected local recruiting, you'd think this would start to bother them (if it continues). For the people who liked Ben's hiring regardless of local recruiting, that's just weird.
If “the people who liked Ben's hiring regardless of local recruiting” includes the Star Tribune, Souhan stated their reason for hiring quite succinctly. So it’s not really “weird.” The bottom line is that we will likely never know the actual factors that went into Coyle’s decision.

Top Bottom