Does China own the NBA?

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Right now, easily the biggest threat to the US in terms of national security, intelligence, and economic stability is China. It's the new cold war, and from most things I've read it's not going away in any of our lifetimes.

It's shocking and really kinda disturbing how the NBA (and even ESPN and a few others) are bending over and taking it from the Chinese, DEFENDING the Chinese and their human rights atrocities, all in the name of MONEY.

It started last year with the tweet (I think it was actually just re-tweeting even?) from Houston Rockets Daryl Morey of "Free Hong Kong" and was stoked a little bit recently with the letter from Missouri Sen. Josh Hawley to the NBA's Adam Silver in regards to the NBA's stance on China (and ESPN's Woj telling a sitting US Senator "F'k you"), the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) and human rights violations up the wazzou.

The response by the NBA, many of it's players and even coaches has been essentially disgusting; people who have publicly and openly advocated for human rights (LeBron, Steve Kerr, Popovich, et al) have swept this shit under the rug because of the billion$ that China has invested in the NBA. And yet the media here in the US has been mostly silent on this situation.

In the case with the Morey tweet, the NBA instantly jumped on the side of the Chinese. LeBron on Morey "I don’t want to get in a word or sentence feud with Daryl Morey. But I believe he wasn’t educated on the situation at hand and he spoke". Quotes from both LeBron and Popovich SPECIFICALLY mentioned potential "financial/economic peril" or people could have been hurt "financially" by Morey's comments, etc.

Has China for all intents and purposes issued a gag order on the NBA and its players/coaches?

Ironically after all the indignation over LeBron and "shut up and dribble", it turns out China told LeBron to just shut up and dribble and he instantly responded "Yes, comrade!! What else can I do for you?"

bga1

Reaction score
In a word...yes. I think that the NBA has decided that the US market is hooked on the NBA (will watch it regardless of politics) and China is the next level money maker. China is my way or the highway- so they get catered to, just as the new American leftist movement does (cancel culture). It would be interesting to know how much money is flowing to the NBA from the Chinese.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
In a word...yes. I think that the NBA has decided that the US market is hooked on the NBA (will watch it regardless of politics) and China is the next level money maker. China is my way or the highway- so they get catered to, just as the new American leftist movement does (cancel culture). It would be interesting to know how much money is flowing to the NBA from the Chinese.
I listened to a great interview on my weekend drive on a podcast; Clay Travis from Outkick The Coverage does longer interviews periodically for an offshoot podcast of his called Wins and Losses. He interviewed Josh Hawley and I believe the interview was only a day or two after his letter to Adam Silver. The league signed a $1.5 Billion deal with China and China's internet giant Tencent last year, for 5 years.

After the tweet from Morey, China immediately began threatening to not air NBA games, demanded that Morey be fired, etc.

By the way, the interview with Hawley was really impressive. He's a very sharp guy and was a really good listen.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Corporate America follows the money and if that means parroting whatever the Chinese propaganda and company line is then so be it. They are not our friends.

GoldenRowpher

Reaction score
The NBA is the worst pro sports league of the big 4. The product stinks and 10-12 players run the whole league. The defensive effort for most games is embarrassing. The NBA is going to need China and they know it. Libs keep taking this moral high ground and look right past China.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Nike is directly tied to the NFL. Nike is in bed with China. They’re all social justice hypocrites b/c they like the money that they’re making. They don’t care about humanity and social justice when it comes to China.
Yeah, it’s all pretty hypocritical and ridiculous particularly the more strident players or ex-players like Lebron or Kaepernick. Some of these guys are probably willfully ignorant. Just keep the checks flowing. Crocodile tears, retribution.

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
Yes, the NBA is owned by China. The reaction to Daryl Morey's tweet uncovered the NBA. It also uncovered the SJW's. There is nothing socially just about their cause.

I've worked a lot in Hong Kong and lived there for six months. The Chinese takeover of Hong Kong and its general lack of coverage should really highlight breadth of Chinese foreign influence on all media.

justthefacts

Reaction score
Nike is directly tied to the NFL. Nike is in bed with China. They’re all social justice hypocrites b/c they like the money that they’re making. They don’t care about humanity and social justice when it comes to China.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Do not watch the nba. Do not buy merchandise. Let LeBron and Popp live with no USA support.
Bunch of frauds.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Yes, the NBA is owned by China. The reaction to Daryl Morey's tweet uncovered the NBA. It also uncovered the SJW's. There is nothing socially just about their cause.

I've worked a lot in Hong Kong and lived there for six months. The Chinese takeover of Hong Kong and its general lack of coverage should really highlight breadth of Chinese foreign influence on all media.
Has it really uncovered anything though? This has been buried and deep, swept under the rug. I don't buy that the players (or anyone else with the league) is just ignorant on the situation. They have clearly been educated to dodge, avoid, sidestep and move on quickly. ESPN being just as big of a culprit.

Steve Kerr: "It's a complicated situation. Next question please?"

Popovich; Answers by praising Adam Silver, and then quickly turns the conversation into how evil Trump is and what an awful bastard he is, without saying anything about the actual question about Morey's tweet, etc.

LeBron's stance that it was MOREY who was "misinformed" and "not educated" on the situation in China is classic. Very well done LBJ

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
Don't watch sports?

bga1

Reaction score
Don't watch sports?
I'll always attend Gopher basketball. The rest of them, I hope people help them as little as possible financially until they get their act together. For me that means watching the Vikings, but I don't care to attend their games or pay them a cent beyond their take from cable. The NBA stinks. Do we have a team?

golf

Reaction score
Don't watch sports?

What are your thoughts on China?
Keeping in mind that video has come out showing Uighurs being loaded on trains. Hong Kong has been essentially taken over. China blaming USA for china virus start and disappearing whistle blower.
Stealing intellectual property from other countries for decades, which was the main impetus for rise of their economy and military.
Setting up a social credit system for their citizenry which is perfectly Orwellian.

England now is detaching from Huaweii despite heavy cost. Australia and Canada are taking steps which are leading to China backlash against them. 87 Japanese companies are leaving China at this point.

Of course you may not know this if your only source of info is the Enemy of the People because they are the enemy of the people.

Trump is pleading with companies to leave China. Do you agree with Trump that China deserves a reckoning or with NBA players who want to ignore China crimes?
Nazi Germany type fanaticism is seen in chinese communist party rule, should have we stayed quiet about the nazis? What are your thoughts?

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
Has it really uncovered anything though? This has been buried and deep, swept under the rug. I don't buy that the players (or anyone else with the league) is just ignorant on the situation. They have clearly been educated to dodge, avoid, sidestep and move on quickly. ESPN being just as big of a culprit.

Steve Kerr: "It's a complicated situation. Next question please?"

Popovich; Answers by praising Adam Silver, and then quickly turns the conversation into how evil Trump is and what an awful bastard he is, without saying anything about the actual question about Morey's tweet, etc.

LeBron's stance that it was MOREY who was "misinformed" and "not educated" on the situation in China is classic. Very well done LBJ
You're probably right. I guess to the people paying attention it exposes that people like Pop, Kerr, and Lebron are worse than just useful idiots. They are actively carrying the water for totalitarian regime.

bga1

Reaction score
You're probably right. I guess to the people paying attention it exposes that people like Pop, Kerr, and Lebron are worse than just useful idiots. They are actively carrying the water for totalitarian regime.
It is mind boggling to see how the same people who would gladly rip America apart for our past history of slavery 160+ years ago, are at the same time supportive of China and its ideology where slavery and oppression are a current part of their society.

golf

Reaction score
Very much. Especially since they are so quick to talk about the "oppressed" in our country but fight anyone who will try to talk about people who are truly oppressed (uighurs, hong kong).

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
Very much. Especially since they are so quick to talk about the "oppressed" in our country but fight anyone who will try to talk about people who are truly oppressed (uighurs, hong kong).
They do a lot of their "talking" on Foxconn created devices too.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
It gets even better.

Check out what is going on with what the NBA has determined will and will not be allowed to put on custom NBA jerseys. "Black Lives Matter"? Hell yes. "Free Hong Kong"? F'k no. "F*ckHongKong"? Yes. "Burn Jews". Yes. "F*ckPolice"? Yes

The league (and the Chinese Communist Party, no doubt) has agreed on 29 social justice phrases the players will be allowed to put on their jerseys as well. Great stuff

jamiche

Reaction score
I listened to a great interview on my weekend drive on a podcast; Clay Travis from Outkick The Coverage does longer interviews periodically for an offshoot podcast of his called Wins and Losses. He interviewed Josh Hawley and I believe the interview was only a day or two after his letter to Adam Silver. The league signed a $1.5 Billion deal with China and China's internet giant Tencent last year, for 5 years.

After the tweet from Morey, China immediately began threatening to not air NBA games, demanded that Morey be fired, etc.

By the way, the interview with Hawley was really impressive. He's a very sharp guy and was a really good listen.
Was Morey fired? I don't recall. I'll have to check.

If your top customer at the state of Nevada publicly or privately demanded that someone in the middle of the food chain of your company be let go, would that person make it to the end of the business day?

China is a nasty country and Xi is a murderous oppressor. (Maybe that's why trump admires him so much.) In this case, they didn't follow through on much.

I knew the NBA made a mistake by allowing social justice phrases on the jerseys because it was obvious the RW was going to jump into it.

Finally, trump is a far bigger threat to our national and economic security than China and Russia combined. We are seeing that in real time with the pandemic.

jamiche

Reaction score
It is mind boggling to see how the same people who would gladly rip America apart for our past history of slavery 160+ years ago, are at the same time supportive of China and its ideology where slavery and oppression are a current part of their society.
Slavery didn't end in 1865, beggar. It just changed formats. Learn a little late 19th and 20th century American history.

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
Lost me. What is foxconn?
It's a company that manufactures a lot of devices, notably iPhones and iPads. The people live at the factory and worked 12+ hours per day. They lived in essentially cells. They had so many suicides within this "factory" that they had to install nets to catch the people from jumping off the building.

To come full circle, Hong Kong was always sort of the hub for exposing Chinese corruption. Protests in Hong Kong over the conditions at Foxconn were largely in Hong Kong. Keep in mind, this is the main reason why China is so obsessed with Hong Kong. It likely hurts them financially because will no longer be seen as autonomous (likely face sanctions, etc.). Hong Kong was the window into and out of China (both are equally important).

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
Slavery didn't end in 1865, beggar. It just changed formats. Learn a little late 19th and 20th century American history.
Well, the ones in China, today, are actual slaves. Like forced to work with a gun.

Sharecropping was another brutal DFL tactic to exploit the black population. Don't get me wrong, i'm not defending it. But it was not slavery.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
It's a company that manufactures a lot of devices, notably iPhones and iPads. The people live at the factory and worked 12+ hours per day. They lived in essentially cells. They had so many suicides within this "factory" that they had to install nets to catch the people from jumping off the building.
And these are the folks that the NBA supports 100%, fully in bed with them. So much for social justice?

jamiche

Reaction score
Well, the ones in China, today, are actual slaves. Like forced to work with a gun.

Sharecropping was another brutal DFL tactic to exploit the black population. Don't get me wrong, i'm not defending it. But it was not slavery.
Here's a brief article on the convict lease system. The book that the article is based on is worth reading. The convict lease system was one of several components of the post civil war slavery system. The DFL Party was formed in the 1940's not sure why you included it in your post, Bob.

Top Bottom