Do you wear a mask?

When you go out to places like the grocery store, do you wear a mask?

• Yes, I think it helps slow the spread

Votes: 62 43.1%
  • Yes, I'm not sure how much it helps but it's no big deal to wear one

Votes: 37 25.7%
  • Yes, but only because I'm required to

Votes: 12 8.3%
  • No, I don't think it helps

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • No, It's my decision/I'm healthy so not at risk

Votes: 12 8.3%
  • No, They're uncomfortable/can't use them due to a health condition

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • No, it makes us look weak/I'm not going to live in fear

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Other, post below

Votes: 8 5.6%

• Total voters

GopherJake

Reaction score
This is a very good question and a good point to bring up. The first two things that leap to mind for most people would be the debacle surrounding Comey, Wray, Strzok and the FBI actively working to sabotage and undermine the Prez of the US and the weaponizing of the IRS by Prez Obama against GOP voters and donors. There are a litany of others but those are the first two that come to mind.

At this point, who can believe anything that comes out of the FBI or the DOJ? From 2016 to 2018, the FBI essentially lost almost all credibility with most of the American people with how they stepped all over their dicks every step of the way trying to "get" the newly elected Prez.
I'm calling it. This is a CRG sock puppet.

Section2

Reaction score
This is a very good question and a good point to bring up. The first two things that leap to mind for most people would be the debacle surrounding Comey, Wray, Strzok and the FBI actively working to sabotage and undermine the Prez of the US and the weaponizing of the IRS by Prez Obama against GOP voters and donors. There are a litany of others but those are the first two that come to mind.

At this point, who can believe anything that comes out of the FBI or the DOJ? From 2016 to 2018, the FBI essentially lost almost all credibility with most of the American people with how they stepped all over their dicks every step of the way trying to "get" the newly elected Prez.
It goes far beyond just the federal government. Public education, the news media completely destroying itself, Silicon Valley, etc. Trump is of course the cause, from a certain point of view.

cncmin

Reaction score

Holy crap. What nonsense.

Wally

Reaction score
Masks did it, if we had never worn masks Covid would already be gone.

Slim Tubby

Reaction score
I wear a mask out of respect for the people I might interact with during the course of the day. It could be the guy standing next to me in line at the grocery store that might have a child at home fighting cancer. Or the gal next to me that’s responsible for taking care of an elderly parent in poor health.

Why anyone would be so shallow and personally insecure about wearing a mask out of courtesy and respect for others is beyond me but this where we are at in this severely divided nation. The people that voted for “it makes me look weak” have far greater issues to contend with than just a pandemic.

Go4Broke

Reaction score

New Research Shows Masks and Ventilation Stop COVID Spread Better Than Social Distancing​

A new study from the University of Central Florida suggests that masks and a good ventilation system are more important than social distancing for reducing the airborne spread of COVID-19 in classrooms. The research, published recently in the journal Physics of Fluids, comes at a critical time when schools and universities are considering returning to more in-person classes in the fall.

“The study finds that aerosol transmission routes do not display a need for six feet social distancing when masks are mandated,” he says. “These results highlight that with masks, transmission probability does not decrease with increased physical distancing, which emphasizes how mask mandates may be key to increasing capacity in schools and other places.”

1618517680181.png

In the study, the researchers created a computer model of a classroom with students and a teacher, then modeled airflow and disease transmission, and calculated airborne-driven transmission risk. The classroom model was 709 square feet with 9-foot-tall ceilings, similar to a smaller-size, university classroom, Kinzel says. The model had masked students — any one of whom could be infected— and a masked teacher at the front of the classroom.

The researchers examined the classroom using two scenarios — a ventilated classroom and an unventilated one — and using two models, Wells-Riley and Computational Fluid Dynamics. Wells-Riley is commonly used to assess indoor transmission probability and Computational Fluid Dynamics is often used to understand the aerodynamics of cars, aircraft and the underwater movement of submarines.

Masks were shown to be beneficial by preventing direct exposure of aerosols, as the masks provide a weak puff of warm air that causes aerosols to move vertically, thus preventing them from reaching adjacent students, Kinzel says. Additionally, a ventilation system in combination with a good air filter reduced the infection risk by 40 to 50% compared to a classroom with no ventilation.

These results corroborate recent guidelines from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that recommend reducing social distancing in elementary schools from six to three feet when mask use is universal, Kinzel says. “If we compare infection probabilities when wearing masks, three feet of social distancing did not indicate an increase in infection probability with respect to six feet, which may provide evidence for schools and other businesses to safely operate through the rest of the pandemic,” Kinzel says.

https://scitechdaily.com/new-resear...p-covid-spread-better-than-social-distancing/

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
State mandates vs no mandates can be misleading. Mask wearing in places like Texas and Florida are very similar to Minnesota. We should be comparing actual human activity.
GII, with all due respect, you actually bring up an extremely good point, albeit inadvertently. What do you think would happen if instead of mask mandates, you just put out as much information as you could and allow people to make decisions for themselves? Don't you see that you would probably get just as much compliance by informing people and allowing them to decide for themselves?

Personally, if there were no mandates, I would honestly probably wear one ALMOST as many places as I do with the requirements. But with the requirements, the government inserting themselves where they don't belong, and stomping all over everyone's rights and freedoms, I'm a lot more inclined to tell my governor to go f'k himself.

It's been politics over science since the beginning, and quite a bit of the country is getting sick of it.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
GII, with all due respect, you actually bring up an extremely good point, albeit inadvertently. What do you think would happen if instead of mask mandates, you just put out as much information as you could and allow people to make decisions for themselves? Don't you see that you would probably get just as much compliance by informing people and allowing them to decide for themselves?

Personally, if there were no mandates, I would honestly probably wear one ALMOST as many places as I do with the requirements. But with the requirements, the government inserting themselves where they don't belong, and stomping all over everyone's rights and freedoms, I'm a lot more inclined to tell my governor to go f'k himself.

It's been politics over science since the beginning, and quite a bit of the country is getting sick of it.
It definitely wouldn’t. I hear it from people just about everyday that they only wear one because they have to. Many of the most populated areas in states like Florida and Texas have local mandates.

Yes I wish people would just do the right things on their own but unfortunately there’s way too much misinformation out there now days.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
Iowa’s positive rate is at a ridiculous 20% right now. These comparisons are useless.

So now positive test rates is what matters the most?

Iowa has seen very little increase in hospitalizations. https://coronavirus.iowa.gov/pages/hospitalization-analysis

South Dakota's hospitalizations are still 1/6th of what they were in November.

Minnesota's hospitalizations are increasing faster than both. Michigan is right back where they were last spring, when the disease was brand new and no one had a mask mandate. A year later, after heavy restrictions and mask mandates, it didn't make a difference.

So I ask again, what is the end game to drop masks and restrictions?

MplsGopher

Banned
Reaction score
Is really is this easy:

as soon as, every person in this country who wants a vaccine, has had their full regimen of shots, plus the recommended 2 week buffer ......

open it back up 100%.

Done.

F every person who won't get the vaccine. I hope they all get covid as fast as possible. Then it's over.

MplsGopher

Banned
Reaction score
but unfortunately there’s way too much misinformation out there now days.
Yes, but also you have a lot of people who want to believe it. It takes two to tango.

Mentally sick people who just need someone to say what they're thinking, to give them the excuse they're desperate for.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
So now positive test rates is what matters the most?

Iowa has seen very little increase in hospitalizations. https://coronavirus.iowa.gov/pages/hospitalization-analysis

South Dakota's hospitalizations are still 1/6th of what they were in November.

Minnesota's hospitalizations are increasing faster than both. Michigan is right back where they were last spring, when the disease was brand new and no one had a mask mandate. A year later, after heavy restrictions and mask mandates, it didn't make a difference.

You continue to put words in my mouth. Cases alone is a terrible way to compare states. Iowa’s case count is low partly because they hardly test anyone, hence the 20% positivity rate. Should always look at the whole picture, not just bits and pieces.

Taking a snapshot at a specific time instead of looking at things overall can always make things look like you want to. There are lots of factors at play. Places like MN and MI have the variants driving up numbers.

The idea is to get to a point where community spread is no longer likely.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
You continue to put words in my mouth. Cases alone is a terrible way to compare states. Iowa’s case count is low partly because they hardly test anyone, hence the 20% positivity rate. Should always look at the whole picture, not just bits and pieces.

Taking a snapshot at a specific time instead of looking at things overall can always make things look like you want to. There are lots of factors at play. Places like MN and MI have the variants driving up numbers.

The idea is to get to a point where community spread is no longer likely.

You completely ignored what I wrote. The tweet was based off of cases because it's the easiest to track. My latest post discussed hospitalizations, which should be the number 1 statistic, because thats why we shut down in the first place.

The variants are everywhere and have been for months. That's not just a MI and MN thing. Community spread will always be a thing because this is never going away.

The states that are doing the worst currently, with both cases and hospitalizations, are the states with mask mandates and tighter restrictions. It's more proof that once again mask mandates and restrictions do nothing to slow the spread.

But that Science was already known pre-COVID.

MplsGopher

Banned
Reaction score
The states that are doing the worst currently, with both cases and hospitalizations, are the states with mask mandates and tighter restrictions.
GWG suggesting that states who are doing worse, and have mandates/restrictions, would be doing better if they had none.

😆 😆 😆

Dishonest to the core.

Spoofin

Reaction score
I love how GH has moved Florida into the “restricted states” column now. If the data doesn’t match the narrative, change the data.
I remember way back when Howie suggested Florida’s loose restrictions was helping to cause a 7-state surge in the Midwest/Northeast. smh

Top Bottom