Do you wear a mask?

When you go out to places like the grocery store, do you wear a mask?

• Yes, I think it helps slow the spread

Votes: 62 43.1%
  • Yes, I'm not sure how much it helps but it's no big deal to wear one

Votes: 37 25.7%
  • Yes, but only because I'm required to

Votes: 12 8.3%
  • No, I don't think it helps

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • No, It's my decision/I'm healthy so not at risk

Votes: 12 8.3%
  • No, They're uncomfortable/can't use them due to a health condition

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • No, it makes us look weak/I'm not going to live in fear

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Other, post below

Votes: 8 5.6%

• Total voters

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
^^ whenever these loud pronouncements come out about some new "anti-" study, inexoriably they get torn to shreds once people start actually looking at the details of what is said.

I'll just wait for that.
Right in the study. The cherry-picking continues.
“The findings, however, should not be used to conclude that a recommendation for everyone to wear masks in the community would not be effective in reducing SARS-CoV-2 infections, because the trial did not test the role of masks in source control of SARS-CoV-2 infection. During the study period, authorities did not recommend face mask use outside hospital settings and mask use was rare in community settings. This means that study participants' exposure was overwhelmingly to persons not wearing masks.”

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
Right in the study. The cherry-picking continues.

Then explain why the states that continue with mask mandates are seeing the largest increases in cases currently?

Every state surrounding Minnesota does not have a state wide mask mandate, and have less restrictions than Minnesota does currently.

Yet here we are...

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 10.42.47 AM.jpg

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Then explain why the states that continue with mask mandates are seeing the largest increases in cases currently?

Every state surrounding Minnesota does not have a state wide mask mandate, and have less restrictions than Minnesota does currently.

Yet here we are...

View attachment 12433

Because a majority of those states test a lot more. Look at the positive rate, that paints a different picture. Iowa, SD and ND all have higher positive rates. SD and especially IA are significantly higher.

The variant is also more widespread in MN than the other states in the area at this time. You can make the numbers look however you want if you take a snapshot of one thing at a specific time instead of looking at the whole picture.

Spoofin

Reaction score

Yet here we are...

View attachment 12433

Case count always has been, and continues to be, a terrible indicator. Way too many variables to compare apples to apples with.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
Case count always has been, and continues to be, a terrible indicator. Way too many variables to compare apples to apples with.

I agree, but unfortunately it's the easiest statistic to track state by state. Hospitalizations are tracking similarly in these states from what I can tell, but states seem to report those differently, or change how they're reported, like Minnesota.

Section2

Reaction score

When Texas ended its mask mandate, the event cancellations started — and the losses are adding up

At least four organizations canceled conferences or conventions in Austin, citing health concerns after Texas ended its statewide mask mandate earlier this month. The cancellations cost the Hilton Austin hotel $350,000 in revenue, according to Austin Convention Enterprises, a city-created corporation that owns and manages the hotel.

“These were rooms that were already on the books, and largely what we saw was fallout, ironically, from the governor opening the economy,” said Joe Bolash, Hilton Austin general manager, during a March 16 Austin Convention Enterprises board meeting. “It was groups that were not comfortable returning to a fully opened economy where there was no mask mandate in place.”

Jimmy Flannigan, ACE president and former Austin City Council member, said these cancellations are the latest blow to the hospitality industry in Austin, which has already suffered severe losses due to the coronavirus pandemic. Flannigan declined to share the names of the organizations that canceled the events. However, he said three of them “had relationships in the medical field” and were concerned with “the message that medical groups might be sending” if they hosted events in Texas.

“Nothing will help the return of the economy more than the prevention and the public health requirements to arrest the spread of this virus,” he said. “And I hope that the governor lifting the mask mandate ends up not being a horrible decision as it relates to the health of Texas.”

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03/25/conventions-texas-mask-mandate/
San Francisco Texas, not surprising.

MplsGopher

Banned
Reaction score
They'd have even more cases without the mask mandates.

All you're capable of doing is pointing to some other state, which is irrelevant.

Section2

Reaction score
If N95s didn't work then every person treating Covid patients would have gotten infected.
Study linked said something like 610 out of 625 people who wear N95, wear them incorrectly. Assuming medical professionals know how to wear them.
I’d also note that LOTS of healthcare workers got COVID.

Wally

Reaction score
Study linked said something like 610 out of 625 people who wear N95, wear them incorrectly. Assuming medical professionals know how to wear them.
I’d also note that LOTS of healthcare workers got COVID.

Guess I should have been wearing my PAPR (positive pressure respirator) the whole time. I actually have one in my garage.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Masks do not work. Even n95
That’s so old and has been ripped to shreds a long time ago.

I think it’s telling that people

There’s like 40 links to JAMA and other sources. All of them debunked?
It’s not about debunking them. It’s about misinterpreting the info. Like the article I posted states, a lot of the links she shares don’t say what she says they do.

A majority of the “masks don’t work” articles are by conspiracy theorists, anti-medicine, anti-science and anti-vaccine nut jobs that have a history of lying and distortion the truth for personal gain. You would think that would be a big red flag.

Section2

Reaction score
That’s so old and has been ripped to shreds a long time ago.

I think it’s telling that people

It’s not about debunking them. It’s about misinterpreting the info. Like the article I posted states, a lot of the links she shares don’t say what she says they do.

A majority of the “masks don’t work” articles are by conspiracy theorists, anti-medicine, anti-science and anti-vaccine nut jobs that have a history of lying and distortion the truth for personal gain. You would think that would be a big red flag.
Are you aware that the WHO states this about masks:
“At present there is only limited and inconsistent scientific evidence to support the effectiveness of masking of healthy people in the community to prevent infection with respiratory viruses, including SARS-CoV-2.”

Section2

Reaction score
That’s a lot different than saying they don’t work at all.
Since widespread mask wearing has never before been a part of pandemic response, it is on those proposing it to prove they work. There is no macro evidence that mandates have achieved anything at all. And no conclusive scientific evidence they work. Calling skeptics “conspiracy theorists” is a bit much.

stocker08

Reaction score
"If the mask mandates actually worked.....nobody would be catching the virus any longer" - Right wing Donalds as they ignore the mandate and continue breathing on each other.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Since widespread mask wearing has never before been a part of pandemic response, it is on those proposing it to prove they work. There is no macro evidence that mandates have achieved anything at all. And no conclusive scientific evidence they work. Calling skeptics “conspiracy theorists” is a bit much.
I wasn’t calling skeptics conspiracy theorists. I’m talking about the links and stories you and others link as “proof” masks don’t work. Almost all of them are written by people with no experience in research and many themselves are people that like to twist the truth or flat out lie for personal gain. Let’s just say they’re not the best resources to go to for interpreting research.

cncmin

Reaction score
I wasn’t calling skeptics conspiracy theorists. I’m talking about the links and stories you and others link as “proof” masks don’t work. Almost all of them are written by people with no experience in research and many themselves are people that like to twist the truth or flat out lie for personal gain. Let’s just say they’re not the best resources to go to for interpreting research.
I don't know exactly why and I don't understand why any person's mind would ever work that way, but to those people, experts are not to be trusted but hucksters and con artists who tell them what they want to hear, well they can't get enough of that.

TheRealMcCoy

Reaction score
Masks don’t work. Especially not the little cloth ones, gaiters, etc. If you don’t have an almost perfect seal around your face, you’re doing nothing to prevent spread of anything...fully. Might catch a few droplets, but all of this is really just a way for those in power to show everyone how dominant they are, and how well they’ve brainwashed all of you. And anyone that really cares about forcing people to abide the mask mandates is really just a loser that feels helpless in their personal life and wants a share of the power. The virtue signaling is off the charts in the last couple years

Top Bottom