Do you wear a mask?

When you go out to places like the grocery store, do you wear a mask?

• Yes, I think it helps slow the spread

Votes: 60 42.9%
  • Yes, I'm not sure how much it helps but it's no big deal to wear one

Votes: 37 26.4%
  • Yes, but only because I'm required to

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • No, I don't think it helps

Votes: 14 10.0%
  • No, It's my decision/I'm healthy so not at risk

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • No, They're uncomfortable/can't use them due to a health condition

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • No, it makes us look weak/I'm not going to live in fear

Votes: 9 6.4%
  • Other, post below

Votes: 7 5.0%

• Total voters

howeda7

Reaction score
??? What, now you're pissed that they are looking at toning down the standards?
You: LOOK AT THEM TRYING TO PUSH STANDARDS ON ME!!!!! I'M SOOOOOO ANGRY!!!!!!!!
Also you: LOOK AT THEM TRYING TO TONE DOWN THE STANDARDS!!!!! I'M SOOOOOO ANGRY!!!!!!!
Revising standards as they learn more, even if it shows they were wrong? How dare they!

I hope the fellas have some extra hydroxycholorine left that they can take to calm down from this outrage.

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score
This is literally what science is. Further study something and adjust as you learn more about it.
This is 100% correct. Well stated.

And yet we continue, even today, to get weak-minded people like jtf and howie dredging up things that the previous administration said when the pandemic was in it's absolute infancy, literally like January or February/Marach of last year that may have turned out to be incorrect with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight. Strange...

Spoofin

Reaction score
Revising standards as they learn more, even if it shows they were wrong? How dare they!

I hope the fellas have some extra hydroxycholorine left that they can take to calm down from this outrage.
How much of your life do you spend thinking and talking about Trump? Wow.
Let’s use a scale of 9-10.

cncmin

Reaction score
Except the 6 ft was never based on Science in the first place. Neither is keeping kids out of school, or making them distance.
Wrong. All of these things were based on general science, biology, physics, and virology based on past experiences, which was the best information we had prior. If you want to argue that more studies should have been conducted or that the metrics should have been changed long ago based on new information, that's one thing. To say that it wasn't based on "science" is about as clueless as it gets.

Wally

Reaction score
Antimaskers trespassing...
🤣🤣🤣🤣

Texas police handcuff maskless woman who asked: 'What are you going to do, arrest me?'​

An arrest warrant was issued for a woman who refused to wear a mask at a Texas bank, saying to a police officer: “What are you going to do, arrest me?”

Go4Broke

Reaction score
Wrong. All of these things were based on general science, biology, physics, and virology based on past experiences, which was the best information we had prior. If you want to argue that more studies should have been conducted or that the metrics should have been changed long ago based on new information, that's one thing. To say that it wasn't based on "science" is about as clueless as it gets.

Right. All of these things were based on general science, biology, physics, and virology based on past experiences, which was the best information we had prior.

Where does the six-foot guideline for social distancing come from?

Per the CDC's website, individuals should stay at least six feet (two meters, or one tall person) away from one another—a form of social distancing—to help prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus that causes Covid-19.

But the CDC isn’t the only word on social distancing. The World Health Organization recommends that people stay at least half that distance apart—three feet, (one meter, or about a toddler’s height). Meanwhile, an opinion published in late March in the Journal of the American Medical Association by a particle fluid dynamicist at the Massachusetts Institutes of Technology suggested that people might do well to stay more than 27 feet apart (8.2 meters, or several tall people) to avoid infecting one another.

These conflicting recommendations are understandable, considering that SARS-CoV-2 didn’t exist (to the best of our knowledge) six months ago. Scientists are scrambling to figure out the details of how it spreads from person to person—but there isn’t a single study that can definitively describe all the ways the virus transmits between hosts. For now, these guides for social distancing are based on data collected on other pathogens—some of which may be outdated.

The WHO’s three-foot recommendation originates with work done in the 1930s done by William Wells, a Harvard researcher who studied tuberculosis. He found that droplets—bits of spit, mucus, and sputum (aka phlegm) emitted when we breathe, cough, or sneeze—tend to land within three feet of where they’re expelled. The three-foot cutoff for droplets has stuck around for nearly a century, and to be fair, scientists haven’t had reason to doubt its validity. Other viral outbreaks, like the flu, SARS, and MERS, which are also transmitted through droplets, seemed to behave similarly—at least enough so that authorities didn’t feel the need to update their guidance.

When the SARS pandemic hit in 2003, for example, scientists found some evidence that the three-foot cutoff may not be enough. Researchers looked at the prevalence of SARS infections within a single flight, and concluded that droplets of the virus could actually travel between passengers six feet apart—not three. The study, which looked at just over 100 people and was published in the New England Journal of Medicine, was allegedly the basis for the CDC updating their message to say that people should stay six feet apart to prevent transmission, according to a recent episode of Radiolab.

https://qz.com/1831100/where-does-the-six-feet-social-distancing-guideline-come-from/

Wally

Reaction score
Six feet was trying to find a balance between reducing the spread while allowing society to function. It was pretty obvious to me.

Go4Broke

Reaction score

Ammon Bundy won't wear mask in courthouse so judge has him arrested for failure to appear​

Ammon Bundy, who was to go on trial after being charged with trespassing in the Idaho Statehouse last year, was arrested Monday after he refused to wear a mask in court. According to Ada County Sheriff spokesperson Patrick Orr, the Idaho Supreme Court has a mask mandate for anyone entering a courthouse, but when Bundy showed up Monday morning for the first day of his jury trial he wouldn't wear one and was denied entry.

Magistrate Judge David Manweiler then issued a warrant for failure to appear, a misdemeanor.
Bundy was arrested and taken to the Ada County Jail where he is being held on $10,000 bond, Orr said.
Bundy faces misdemeanor charges of trespassing and resisting arrest linked to the August incident at the Idaho Statehouse. He was arrested for refusing to leave the Capitol in Boise during a special session of the legislature. "Troopers were forced to physically remove Bundy from the Senate Gallery," police said at the time. Bundy and others were at the Capitol demanding an end to the state of emergency.

He made national news in 2016 when he led an armed occupation of federal land in Oregon. The takeover of a wildlife refuge headquarters lasted 41 days. One man from the group, LaVoy Finicum, was shot and killed during an attempted traffic stop weeks into the occupation. Bundy was among several people arrested. He and others were indicted by a federal grand jury, but he was acquitted of firearms charges and conspiracy to impede federal workers. Bundy is the son of Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy, who in 2014 engaged in an armed showdown with the federal Bureau of Land Management over grazing rights for his cattle.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/16/us/ammon-bundy-arrest/index.html

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Petulant child throwing themself on the floor, wailing and thrashing, because you won't buy them a candy bar.

That's all an anti-mask person is.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
“But the CDC isn’t the only word on social distancing. The World Health Organization recommends that people stay at least half that distance apart—three feet, (one meter, or about a toddler’s height). Meanwhile, an opinion published in late March in the Journal of the American Medical Association by a particle fluid dynamicist at the Massachusetts Institutes of Technology suggested that people might do well to stay more than 27 feetapart (8.2 meters, or several tall people) to avoid infecting one another.”

Since the science on distancing is clearly unsettled, as with cloth face coverings, the general rule should be 6 feet -with allowances for 3 feet when circumstances dictate and benefit outweighs potential harm, as with opening schools.

To approach zero risk would probably require at least 8 meters. We don’t drive main battle tanks to work to avoid dying in car accidents. I mean, we could....

Spoofin

Reaction score
I wouldn’t consider it a debate as Paul kept interrupting him and clearly had no interest in trying to listen to what Fauci had to say.
Yeah, you’re right on that. I have nothing against Fauci, but I do think Paul had him boxed pretty well on the clip posted here.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
She wants that coffee and she wants it bad! And she needs to go easy on the donuts.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
I wouldn’t consider it a debate as Paul kept interrupting him and clearly had no interest in trying to listen to what Fauci had to say.
He's listed to him for more than a year. No need to listen to Fauci any further.

I'm surprised, GII, you haven't shown outrage over the illegals bringing c19 into the usa at the border. No masks, being released.

Big spreaders and none of the jam jam clan is concerned at all. WALLACE! said he didnt care. Now.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
He's listed to him for more than a year. No need to listen to Fauci any further.

I'm surprised, GII, you haven't shown outrage over the illegals bringing c19 into the usa at the border. No masks, being released.

Big spreaders and none of the jam jam clan is concerned at all. WALLACE! said he didnt care. Now.
Then it’s not a debate. Thanks for proving my point.

It’s a concern, however the decision to completely open up Texas has a significantly bigger impact. There’s no evidence that migrants are causing large spreading. The areas in Texas that have the worst numbers are not near the border.

I haven’t seen you ever express outrage over sexual assaults so I guess that means you’re ok with it. I can’t comment on every single thing I’m concerned with or disagree with.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Yeah, you’re right on that. I have nothing against Fauci, but I do think Paul had him boxed pretty well on the clip posted here.
Not letting the other person speak and declaring victory - classic GH "box"

Top Bottom