Do you wear a mask?

When you go out to places like the grocery store, do you wear a mask?

• Yes, I think it helps slow the spread

Votes: 46 43.4%
  • Yes, I'm not sure how much it helps but it's no big deal to wear one

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Yes, but only because I'm required to

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • No, I don't think it helps

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • No, It's my decision/I'm healthy so not at risk

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • No, They're uncomfortable/can't use them due to a health condition

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • No, it makes us look weak/I'm not going to live in fear

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other, post below

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Total voters

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Most will. Some wont.

Similar to a year ago, 5 years ago, and 50 years ago,
If there are outliers somewhere out there that can support the narrative, you can be sure some folks will find examples of those

tikited

Me
Reaction score
Huh!

Because I've been told very sternly that we are not "in this all together".
I didn't even use my stern voice. I merely mentioned that the cliche doesn't work since we are actually doing the opposite of what it claims. Maybe: "We are all in this together but make sure to be apart as much as possible."

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I didn't even use my stern voice. I merely mentioned that the cliche doesn't work since we are actually doing the opposite of what it claims. Maybe: "We are all in this together but make sure to be apart as much as possible."
Being in it all together doesn't require absolute fairness. Life isn't fair, and this virus certainly isn't fair.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
I'm not sure I would say people refusing to wear a mask are outliers at this point.
Mask usage effectiveness has been all over the place, based on the direction of those that are in places of providing direction. Masks do not seem to be effective.

Perhaps those that you refer to are actually doing the correct thing.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
^^ World renowned mask scientist/engineer, BarnBurner, puts in his two cents.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
As someone said here: even if masks are less effective than all the scientific and medical experts have been saying for many years (ahem), if wearing one makes others feel more comfortable and secure in public spaces and aligns with a social norm and doesn't hurt me in any way other than looking like a dork, I'm all in. I'm a member of a community, and I care about other people's well being including psychological.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
As someone said here: even if masks are less effective than all the scientific and medical experts have been saying for many years (ahem), if wearing one makes others feel more comfortable and secure in public spaces and aligns with a social norm and doesn't hurt me in any way other than looking like a dork, I'm all in. I'm a member of a community, and I care about other people's well being including psychological.
Others feelings more important than individual wants and needs.

Masks just do not appear to be effective. That, to me, is the real point.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Mask usage effectiveness has been all over the place, based on the direction of those that are in places of providing direction. Masks do not seem to be effective.

Perhaps those that you refer to are actually doing the correct thing.
Not sure wearing a mask and it not being effective is really a wrong thing since it doesn't have a negative affect. There are essentially 4 things that could play out around masks:

1. People wear masks and it helps.
2. People wear masks and it doesn't help.
3. People don't wear masks and masks are determined to not help.
4. People don't wear masks but should have because it is shown to help.

One of those 4 would be considered a positive outcome by most and one would be considered negative. The positive one involves wearing a mask and the negative one involves not wearing one.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Not sure wearing a mask and it not being effective is really a wrong thing since it doesn't have a negative affect. There are essentially 4 things that could play out around masks:

One of those 4 would be considered a positive outcome by most and one would be considered negative. The positive one involves wearing a mask and the negative one involves not wearing one.
Google Melissa Hortman floor speech on the MN House final session day. Watch what happens as she wears her mask. Then get back to me.

Angry

Reaction score

I would add
5 people wear a mask and have a false sense of security, then slack off on other mitigation.

^^^ This is the most prevalent of the 5

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Google Melissa Hortman floor speech on the MN House final session day. Watch what happens as she wears her mask. Then get back to me.
Or could you just provide a link because I have no idea what you're talking about.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
I would add
5 people wear a mask and have a false sense of security, then slack off on other mitigation.

^^^ This is the most prevalent of the 5
That's fair but that could easily be avoided for the most part with good communication. I feel like that would be easier too if most people were on board with wearing them.

Angry

Reaction score
That's fair but that could easily be avoided for the most part with good communication. I feel like that would be easier too if most people were on board with wearing them.
I agree that communication and education is vital. Sanitizer and washing hands should be touted more than masks. Or get more coverage anyway.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
I agree that communication and education is vital. Sanitizer and washing hands should be touted more than masks. Or get more coverage anyway.
The way a lot of this has been communicated has been really poor IMO. Things aren't explained very well. And then people get confused and hear different things. Eventually some just get to the point where they don't believe anything anymore.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
FWIW, I heard an interview with Dr. Osterholm, and he was saying that there is a big difference between the N95 respirators, surgical masks and other cloth masks.

According to Osterholm, the N95 respirators provide the most protection, and the cloth masks provide the least protection. If I recall correctly, he said a cloth mask was better than no mask at all, but not by much.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
FWIW, I heard an interview with Dr. Osterholm, and he was saying that there is a big difference between the N95 respirators, surgical masks and other cloth masks.

According to Osterholm, the N95 respirators provide the most protection, and the cloth masks provide the least protection. If I recall correctly, he said a cloth mask was better than no mask at all, but not by much.
And that's what needs to be communicated more clearly as well. Too many people on both sides of the argument don't understand that a mask isn't going to completely stop the chances of spreading it.

BarnBurner

Reaction score

Osterholm said "ineffective" when referencing cloth masks, and that N95 were better however not very good against c19.

Based on him, all those folks that have been wearing cloth masks, which is nearly anyone wearing a mask in public, have been kidding themselves and everyone else.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not going to look through nearly 3 hours of video to figure out what you're talking about.

Edit: That's about educating people. I don't think it's a coincidence that that places like Japan and South Korea have such low numbers. The majority of the population wear them and wear them correctly. I'm not sure masks are really needed in this instance when they're spread that far apart anyways.

Last edited:

DarrenTheGreek

Gov. Victory Bell Ringer
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not going to look through nearly 3 hours of video to figure out what you're talking about.
The link starts at 2 hours and 46 minutes. It's right there. Basically her mask kept sliding below her nose and she touched her face and then the microphone several times.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
The link starts at 2 hours and 46 minutes. It's right there. Basically her mask kept sliding below her nose and she touched her face and then the microphone several times.
Thanks, it's not starting at that point for me for some reason.

Top Bottom