Do you wear a mask?

When you go out to places like the grocery store, do you wear a mask?

• Yes, I think it helps slow the spread

Votes: 60 43.5%
  • Yes, I'm not sure how much it helps but it's no big deal to wear one

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Yes, but only because I'm required to

Votes: 12 8.7%
  • No, I don't think it helps

Votes: 13 9.4%
  • No, It's my decision/I'm healthy so not at risk

Votes: 12 8.7%
  • No, They're uncomfortable/can't use them due to a health condition

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • No, it makes us look weak/I'm not going to live in fear

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • Other, post below

Votes: 7 5.1%

• Total voters

Nax5

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, because I'm somewhat interested, if someone isn't comfortable getting vaccinated due to this, or any one of the reasons I listed in that post, who the f'k are you to tell them anything different?
Me personally? I'm not really anyone. My wife is a pharmacist, though. So I think I have a better understanding of the situation overall. It's fine to be a bit skeptical of the vaccine. But there's no reason to be afraid.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Another pinnacle reached in stupidity. I am quite honestly speechless.

I'm running a half marathon tomorrow morning at Lake Mead National Park and I just noticed the fine print in the athlete's briefing now that masks will be required at all times... even while running.

13.1 miles through the wide open desert, 1.5 million acre National Park, runners spaced out every 5 seconds at the start, a forecasted 8-10 mph breeze, and we're supposed to wear f'ng masks.

It'll be interesting to see how they police this. If there's any common sense in the world, they are putting that in the briefing to appease the state Dept of Health and there will be policing anywhere within a few hundred meters of the Start/Finish line but when it comes to the course, there will be next to nothing. At the moment, I plan on having a neck gator around my neck for the duration of the race, possibly pulling it up for a few seconds when it appears someone will actually care.

We have literally 100% lost it at this point. Without a doubt.

Go4Broke

Reaction score
I would say GH and Twitter don’t represent reality with just about any topic.

We have a few issues where I work with people not wanting to put a mask on but it’s not extremely common. I think most wear them when they’re required to even if they don’t like it.

I spend a lot of time driving around western Minnesota and the eastern Dakotas and often come across people not wearing masks inside of stores I go into. This includes employees working in the stores. And it is also not uncommon for me to see maskless people in stores in the Twin Cities (although not employees).

Last edited:

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
If you never left your house and you only read GH and Twitter you would have the impression that maskless people are running wild everywhere. I can honestly say that I am yet to encounter a situation out-and-about where I see someone refusing to wear a mask. My son works at a fast food restaurant and told me of once that it happened there, but that is the closest encounter I have had.

Same, this is a rare breed in my sphere. I’m surprised it isn’t more common considering the number of nuts out there.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Me personally? I'm not really anyone. My wife is a pharmacist, though. So I think I have a better understanding of the situation overall. It's fine to be a bit skeptical of the vaccine. But there's no reason to be afraid.

To your comment I continue to be perplexed why someone would be more worried about potential mRNA vaccine side effects than natural infection. IMO it’s a rationalization for not liking needles, fear of side effects, or fantasies of avoiding natural infection. Probably a large factor are rare anecdotes of poor outcomes after vaccination or coincidences of vaccination with subsequent onset of health problems that would have occurred anyway getting amplified on social media and without context —-> people think these are common....where have we seen this phenomenon before. I’m told distrust is another factor. An unfixable problem, unfortunately.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
I spend a lot of time driving around western Minnesota and the eastern Dakotas and often come across people not wearing masks inside of stores I go into. And this includes employees working in the stores.

Do you walk up to them and get into an aerosol-spewing shouting match with them?

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Another pinnacle reached in stupidity. I am quite honestly speechless.

I'm running a half marathon tomorrow morning at Lake Mead National Park and I just noticed the fine print in the athlete's briefing now that masks will be required at all times... even while running.

13.1 miles through the wide open desert, 1.5 million acre National Park, runners spaced out every 5 seconds at the start, a forecasted 8-10 mph breeze, and we're supposed to wear f'ng masks.

It'll be interesting to see how they police this. If there's any common sense in the world, they are putting that in the briefing to appease the state Dept of Health and there will be policing anywhere within a few hundred meters of the Start/Finish line but when it comes to the course, there will be next to nothing. At the moment, I plan on having a neck gator around my neck for the duration of the race, possibly pulling it up for a few seconds when it appears someone will actually care.

We have literally 100% lost it at this point. Without a doubt.

The lawyers win the race, every time.

cncmin

Reaction score
While I don’t think the white evangelicals are necessarily the most anti-vax group out there (see Kaiser Foundation polls)I think you are hitting on a cultural factor for the relatively small differences in infections and death b/t the Dakotas/Iowa and MN/WI. Culture, peer pressure to conform to what your peer groups and family are doing. Going against the grain is hard. Maybe a much bigger factor than cloth face coverings.
I was just at a gathering (that I had to attend) the other day. Eleven white men there, only three of them (me included) wore a mask. The people wearing masks the least are white males. It just so happens that these people also comprise Trump's base and are those most strongly drawn to RW media.

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score
I was just at a gathering (that I had to attend) the other day. Eleven white men there, only three of them (me included) wore a mask. The people wearing masks the least are white males. It just so happens that these people also comprise Trump's base and are those most strongly drawn to RW media.
This is the kind of careful deductive 1+2=5 reasoning they are looking for with the FBI these days. I mean, this kind of brainwork is simply brilliant. Did you connect those dots all by yourself, Sherlock? Damn I love your work

cncmin

Reaction score
I believe the onus is on the anti masker to not be a selfish asshole most of the time. It's just so easy. They are not victims.
Lemme guess. PD is an Evangelical Christian, who believes that God, not science, will save him, all the while disregarding the likelihood that, assuming there is a God, that God is trying to help him save himself through science.

cncmin

Reaction score
This is the kind of careful deductive 1+2=5 reasoning they are looking for with the FBI these days. I mean, this kind of brainwork is simply brilliant. Did you connect those dots all by yourself, Sherlock? Damn I love your work
Facts are tough things for doorknobs like you to swallow.

Last edited:

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score
Dude is bat sh!t crazy. It is really something to witness.
Oh, it's far beyond bat shit crazy. It's the marriage of that and the utter supreme confidence that is really impressive. I mean "I am 100% correct, always, and the supreme authority on everything, and you are nothing but a fool for disagreeing with ME". Someone somewhere needs a case study on something like this, without a doubt

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Want to wear a seat belt? Wear one.

Want to follow the speed limit? Follow it.

Want to not shoplift from the store? Don't shoplift.

Want to not murder your neighbor? Don't murder them.

Want me to do the same? No.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score

You’re aware there are masks that are user-protective, of course. Or did you wear a bandito hankie.

We can lead a horse to water...

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Want to wear a seat belt? Wear one.

Want to follow the speed limit? Follow it.

Want to not shoplift from the store? Don't shoplift.

Want to not murder your neighbor? Don't murder them.

Want me to do the same? No.

Current mask guidelines are (this may be poor but whatever) analogous to giving interstate travelers mopeds instead of vehicles with crumple zones, safety cages, anti-lock brakes, and stability control.

cncmin

Reaction score
You’re aware there are masks that are user-protective, of course. Or did you wear a bandito hankie.

We can lead a horse to water...
Duh. And? The point is that 8 guys still just didn't give a sh!t, and they were all adult white males. The point is that the anti-maskers are the main reason for this country's very, very poor performance in Covid-19 to-date.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Duh. And? The point is that 8 guys still just didn't give a sh!t, and they were all adult white males. The point is that the anti-maskers are the main reason for this country's very, very poor performance in Covid-19 to-date.

I’m not defending the idiots that won’t or can’t put on a mask for 15 minutes but you're giving a pass to our public health experts, which is too bad. They’re in too deep at this point. If your financial advisor told you to eg keep your savings in an account paying .05 percent instead of 2 percent is that sound advice?

Unchecked spread is also not solely the fault of old white racists...but that’s a different argument.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
More anti-Science presented by Fauci and the CDC, who continue to just make it up as they go.

Wally

Reaction score
More anti-Science presented by Fauci and the CDC, who continue to just make it up as they go.

Its likely that young children don't often spread Covid. Without actual proof its difficult for them.

My daughter's 8 yo friend got Covid and none of the other 4 people in her house got it.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Did you sleep at Holiday Inn last night, too?

cncmin

Reaction score

??? What, now you're pissed that they are looking at toning down the standards?
You: LOOK AT THEM TRYING TO PUSH STANDARDS ON ME!!!!! I'M SOOOOOO ANGRY!!!!!!!!
Also you: LOOK AT THEM TRYING TO TONE DOWN THE STANDARDS!!!!! I'M SOOOOOO ANGRY!!!!!!!

Top Bottom