Do you wear a mask?

When you go out to places like the grocery store, do you wear a mask?

• Yes, I think it helps slow the spread

Votes: 60 42.9%
  • Yes, I'm not sure how much it helps but it's no big deal to wear one

Votes: 37 26.4%
  • Yes, but only because I'm required to

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • No, I don't think it helps

Votes: 14 10.0%
  • No, It's my decision/I'm healthy so not at risk

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • No, They're uncomfortable/can't use them due to a health condition

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • No, it makes us look weak/I'm not going to live in fear

Votes: 9 6.4%
  • Other, post below

Votes: 7 5.0%

• Total voters

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Past Science proves that is not the case.
The very first sentence of the first study cited in the Tweet literally says:

Significant reduction in ILI in weeks 4-6 in mask and hand hygiene group compared to control.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
The far right column also literally says for every single row:

Quality of Evidence: Moderate

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Correct, they are about flu. And I've heard that one of the reasons the flu has disappeared this season is due to masks. Past Science proves that is not the case.

Plenty of people, including the CDC, has suggested they protect both. So yes, that is part of the argument.
justnofacts/justthelies BOXXED.

Spoofin

Reaction score
Its all virtue signaling. Look at us, we don't give a fuck, who cares...
Mad at a Gov who says masks don't work.
Mad at a Gov who says masks do work.
What would you have liked him to say Wally?

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
Interesting, I didn’t know masks were the cure to the pandemic, I must have missed those consensus statements by the scientific community. Thanks for this high quality analysis though GWG!

Who said they were the cure? It’s been proven by Science for decades that universal masking does virtually nothing to slow the spread of diseases. The Science behind that hasn’t changed in the past year.

cncmin

Reaction score
E X A C T L Y

I haven't had so much as a cold or even a non-allergy-related sniffle since at least February 2020 (knock on wood). Turns out that when you remove many of the vectors for viral transmission, transmission greatly diminishes. What a surprise.

RahSkiUMah

Reaction score
Who said they were the cure? It’s been proven by Science for decades that universal masking does virtually nothing to slow the spread of diseases. The Science behind that hasn’t changed in the past year.
“Proven by science for decades”...the fact that you use the phrase “proven by science” tells me a lot about the grasp you have on science.

Why don’t you look to see if there are any studies out there that don’t confirm your biases, and if they don’t explain why they are not convincing or flawed. Or you could start by sharing the studies that give you the aforementioned conclusion.

Here’s a paper I’d love to get your thoughts on: https://www.pnas.org/content/118/4/...bzBJrw0KnHkv61GXNRnD218gO7rYBieqNjEonifdtvI2I

Last edited:

howeda7

Reaction score
E X A C T L Y

I haven't had so much as a cold or even a non-allergy-related sniffle since at least February 2020 (knock on wood). Turns out that when you remove many of the vectors for viral transmission, transmission greatly diminishes. What a surprise.
Coincidence! Nothing to do with masks! :cool:

cncmin

Reaction score
“Proven by science for decades”...the fact that you use the phrase “proven by science” tells me a lot about the grasp you have on science.

Why don’t you look to see if there are any studies out there that don’t confirm your biases, and if they don’t explain why they are not convincing or flawed. Or you could start by sharing the studies that give you the aforementioned conclusion.

Here’s a paper I’d love to get your thoughts on: https://www.pnas.org/content/118/4/...bzBJrw0KnHkv61GXNRnD218gO7rYBieqNjEonifdtvI2I
I doubt you'll be surprised that GWG considers himself as a "scientist". Yeahhhhhh. OK.

Dunceswithwolves

Reaction score
"Prior to the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, the efficacy of community mask wearing to reduce the spread of respiratory infections was controversial because there were no solid relevant data to support their use. During the pandemic, the scientific evidence has increased. Compelling data now demonstrate that community mask wearing is an effective nonpharmacologic intervention to reduce the spread of this infection, especially as source control to prevent spread from infected persons, but also as protection to reduce wearers’ exposure to infection."
Journal of the American Medical Association - Feb 10, 2021

The science summarized in this article is reviewed in greater detail with a full set of references on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s COVID-19 website Scientific Brief: Community Use of Cloth Masks to Control the Spread of SARS-CoV-2 (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/masking-science-sars-cov2.html

MplsGopher

Reaction score
It's still incredible to me that the hardcore anti-government cadre are deadset on faking a win out of the pandemic, on masks.

The only reason they picked that one, is because it's the hardest to disprove conspiracy theories and made-up graphs. That's the only reason. Otherwise, it'd be some other thing.

justthefacts

Reaction score
Correct, they are about flu. And I've heard that one of the reasons the flu has disappeared this season is due to masks. Past Science proves that is not the case.

Plenty of people, including the CDC, has suggested they protect both. So yes, that is part of the argument.

Your second point shows that you know that tweet was garbage. The studies were about masks protection of the wearer, and not about protection for others. Protecting others is unequivocally the focus of mask wearing, and yet you posted that tweet anyway.

justthefacts

Reaction score

inatGvT.png

Dunceswithwolves

Reaction score

Do you wonder why he's comparing a city to states? Do you wonder where Miami would fall in the list? Do you wonder why South Dakota is almost the same as a densely populated city? Do you wonder sometimes if your views are confirmed when you only seek out what you want to find?

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
Do you wonder why he's comparing a city to states? Do you wonder where Miami would fall in the list? Do you wonder why South Dakota is almost the same as a densely populated city? Do you wonder sometimes if your views are confirmed when you only seek out what you want to find?

Deaths per 100,000
Miami-Dade: 204
Los Angeles: 218

Used death data from:

howeda7

Reaction score
Wondering is a gateway to learning and facts which are elitist and have well known liberal bias.

Top Bottom