Do you wear a mask?

When you go out to places like the grocery store, do you wear a mask?

• Yes, I think it helps slow the spread

Votes: 57 43.2%
  • Yes, I'm not sure how much it helps but it's no big deal to wear one

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Yes, but only because I'm required to

Votes: 12 9.1%
  • No, I don't think it helps

• No, It's my decision/I'm healthy so not at risk

• No, They're uncomfortable/can't use them due to a health condition

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • No, it makes us look weak/I'm not going to live in fear

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Other, post below

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters

Spoofin

Reaction score
Fifty Shades of Whey spending his days and nights seeking out strange crazy people who do crazy shit because they don't like masks and posting it on the internet for some reason. And Broke seems fascinated by it, following them fervently and immediately reposting.

IF anything, kudos to Broke for illustrating what we all know; these stupid mask mandates are causing significant issues with people's state of mind and further enhancing the divide in our country. Millions of people have had enough of this social experiment

Mission accomplished.
I don't watch these videos anymore. Although I have no doubt that there are wackos like this out there, I also believe some of these are just staged for attention. For example, Howie posted a Twitter post about a week ago that showed a video of an anti-masker going nuts in a gas station. This video didn't appear anywhere else that I could find other than the twitter post shared here. The account that posted it was some random girl with about 700 followers who replied to her own post of the video asking people to buy her music record. Call me skeptical on that one....

MplsGopher

Reaction score
As I've said before: they'd be complaining and protesting just as fervently, and with exactly the same reasoning, if speed limits were actually enforced anywhere near the veracity that mask wearing has been enforced.

Good chunk of people hate being told what to do, and will resist. Simple as that. And they especially hate if the base authority for being told what to do comes from government edict. White hot hatred.

A tradition older than the country, going back to hatred of being told what the do and being taxed by the crown.

cncmin

Reaction score
As I've said before: they'd be complaining and protesting just as fervently, and with exactly the same reasoning, if speed limits were actually enforced anywhere near the veracity that mask wearing has been enforced.

Good chunk of people hate being told what to do, and will resist. Simple as that. And they especially hate if the base authority for being told what to do comes from government edict. White hot hatred.

A tradition older than the country, going back to hatred of being told what the do and being taxed by the crown.
Note: it wasn't exactly just being taxed by the crown that got them. It was, importantly, being taxed by the crown with no representation.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Minnehaha vs Stewartville.
Tell me again the benefits of these kids “wearing” masks?

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score
See, that's the beautiful thing about this country; Jane is more than welcome to wear a mask as long as she wants. Millions of people were wearing them long before the pandemic hit. If that makes Jane feel better, then by all means she should continue wearing a mask

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
And people can still choose to drive in those conditions if they want, and as soon as the snow/ice is cleared/melted, there will be no restrictions.

What is the end game for COVID restrictions and masks?

Remember, stay home for just 2 weeks to slow the spread...to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed.

Now, mostly in blue states, it has turned into keep your business closed/restricted for a year or more, or we'll sue you and take what little you have left remaining.

cncmin

Reaction score
And people can still choose to drive in those conditions if they want, and as soon as the snow/ice is cleared/melted, there will be no restrictions.

Remember, stay home for just 2 weeks to slow the spread...to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed.

Now, mostly in blue states, it has turned into keep your business closed/restricted for a year or more, or we'll sue you and take what little you have left remaining.
And people should still be able to freely drunk drive too, as it's up to them if they want to injure themself! Screw those innocents hurt by drunk drivers, mask deniers, and reckless bad weather drivers!!!!

justthefacts

Reaction score
I hope you don't use a standing desk, because I think you should be sitting down for this. There has been some recent news that I think is going to truly shock you. I'm really happy I get to be the person that delivers this important update to you.

You ready?

I mean, I really don't think you are.

Ok, here goes:

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
And people should still be able to freely drunk drive too, as it's up to them if they want to injure themself! Screw those innocents hurt by drunk drivers, mask deniers, and reckless bad weather drivers!!!!
Actually there are laws against drunk driving. I would argue the laws are much to soft on drunk drivers. I don’t believe any of the mandates set in pave by governors or the president are actual laws. They are temporary mandates.

howeda7

Reaction score
Their descendants can sue! No need for laws!

howeda7

Reaction score

"2 weeks to slow the spread" was a Trump thing. Here's a hint, when he says "two weeks" he's lying. When he says most other things, he's lying.

The ideal end game was to minimize illness and deaths until we could come up with a vaccine or a cure. At a minimum it was to allow us to get our arms around how it was spread, how deadly it was and prevent our medical system from being overwhelmed. No person had all the answers and no state handled it perfectly. Some did too much. Some did too little, they lead the nation in deaths per capita.

But now we do have a vaccine and better understanding of how to minimize spread in the meantime.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
There is no logic which I’ve said multiple times. It’s stupid. If you’re going to be so obsessed with me, perhaps you should pay better attention.
Bu but but masks!!! Apparently you don’t believe it either

justthefacts

Reaction score
There is no logic which I’ve said multiple times. It’s stupid. If you’re going to be so obsessed with me, perhaps you should pay better attention.
I do think there is some logic. The state of Minnesota has some say in what happens to 100% of its HS teams. It has a say in what happens with a very low percentage of teams that play against the Gophers.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
I do think there is some logic. The state of Minnesota has some say in what happens to 100% of its HS teams. It has a say in what happens with a very low percentage of teams that play against the Gophers.
That doesn’t apply. If I’m a resident of Wisconsin and I visit Minnesota I have to wear a mask when I visit. How is the Iowa basketball team any different than me. They are simply visiting the state of Minnesota what difference does the purpose have.

the difference is Money generated by gopher basketball team vs the money the melrose basketball team generates.

justthefacts

Reaction score
That doesn’t apply. If I’m a resident of Wisconsin and I visit Minnesota I have to wear a mask when I visit. How is the Iowa basketball team any different than me. They are simply visiting the state of Minnesota what difference does the purpose have.

the difference is Money generated by gopher basketball team vs the money the melrose basketball team generates.
So you're saying there IS logic?

Next you're going to tell me that I'm wrong because in fact the NCAA and Big Ten have a bunch of their own COVID protocol rules that couldn't be scaled to all of MSHSL.

Last edited:

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
"2 weeks to slow the spread" was a Trump thing. Here's a hint, when he says "two weeks" he's lying. When he says most other things, he's lying.

The ideal end game was to minimize illness and deaths until we could come up with a vaccine or a cure. At a minimum it was to allow us to get our arms around how it was spread, how deadly it was and prevent our medical system from being overwhelmed. No person had all the answers and no state handled it perfectly. Some did too much. Some did too little, they lead the nation in deaths per capita.

But now we do have a vaccine and better understanding of how to minimize spread in the meantime.
No it wasn't a Trump thing, and the end game was to not overrun the hospitals. There were literally commercials on network channels like CBS running every break stating this. Vaccine or a cure was merely 'happy talk' by experts like Osterholm.

We knew exactly who was most affected by this disease once it first started. The data continued to back it up. The only thing that changed was the response by politicians.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
So you're saying there IS logic?

Next you're going to tell me that I'm wrong because in fact the NCAA and Big Ten have a bunch of their own COVID protocol rules that couldn't be scaled to all of MSHSL.
No you’re second point regarding the mshsl and having control over sports teams in the state vs control the state has over teams playing the gophers. The state of Minnesota has control over everything that happens inside state. If they are requiring high school kids to wear masks during competition there is no reason they should not also mandate colleges wear masks.

Yes the big ten does have its own protocols, but I do question why testing is important when wearing a mask during competition could prevent the spread? We done want to try and stop the disease but we will test to see when people have it.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
I hope you don't use a standing desk, because I think you should be sitting down for this. There has been some recent news that I think is going to truly shock you. I'm really happy I get to be the person that delivers this important update to you.

You ready?

I mean, I really don't think you are.

Ok, here goes:

I've been pro vaccine this whole time, and that's great. But you must be forgetting all of the talk about how we still need to wear masks, social distance, etc even after the vaccine. That it won't stop you from getting COVID and may not protect you from new variants.

So I ask again, what is the metric to where we can end the restrictions? It certainly isn't preventing hospitals from being overrun anymore. That hasn't happened in Minnesota during the entire pandemic.

Maybe you should sit down for this one.

Are you ready?

Ok, here goes:

There are only 57 COVID patients in ICU today in the entire state of Minnesota.

justthefacts

Reaction score
I've been pro vaccine this whole time, and that's great. But you must be forgetting all of the talk about how we still need to wear masks, social distance, etc even after the vaccine. That it won't stop you from getting COVID and may not protect you from new variants.

So I ask again, what is the metric to where we can end the restrictions? It certainly isn't preventing hospitals from being overrun anymore. That hasn't happened in Minnesota during the entire pandemic.

Maybe you should sit down for this one.

Are you ready?

Ok, here goes:

There are only 57 COVID patients in ICU today in the entire state of Minnesota.
Walz has tightened and loosened restrictions multiple times according to all the same metrics you'd expect, just not at the thresholds you prefer.

Again, on Dec 30 there were 207 people in the ICU. It's absolutely idiotic to say that a low number of ICU patients TODAY means that the restrictions DON'T make sense.

Wally

Reaction score
The difference is the testing protocols...

That said I am fine getting rid of masks for sports. But keeping them a little longer isn't that big of a deal either.

Top Bottom