Do you wear a mask?

When you go out to places like the grocery store, do you wear a mask?

• Yes, I think it helps slow the spread

Votes: 56 42.7%
  • Yes, I'm not sure how much it helps but it's no big deal to wear one

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Yes, but only because I'm required to

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • No, I don't think it helps

• No, It's my decision/I'm healthy so not at risk

• No, They're uncomfortable/can't use them due to a health condition

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • No, it makes us look weak/I'm not going to live in fear

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Other, post below

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters

Go4Broke

Reaction score
Minnesota judge quickly denies legal challenge to youth sports mask mandate

After holding a hearing in the case three days ago, a federal judge on Monday denied a legal challenge to Minnesota's mandate requiring youth athletes to wear masks in practices and games. Judge Eric Tostrud, in an order filed in U.S. District Court, denied a request by advocacy group Let Them Play MN for an injunction preventing the state from enforcing the mandate, which has required masks for most youth sports during competition since they resumed on Jan. 4.

Let Them Play sued Gov. Tim Walz in January, citing equal protection and due process violations with the mandate that it claims unfairly single out youth athletes. Walz imposed the mandate as a measure to help limit community spread of the COVID-19 virus.

Tostrud wrote that the federal constitution has long given the political branches of government "great latitude to resolve difficult questions concerning social and economic policy.'' He added that "the appropriate audience'' for Let Them Play MN's objections "are Minnesota's political branches, not a federal court.''

Let Them Play founder Dawn Gillman, in a statement, said the group "will continue to fight for kids, in court, with our leaders, and with the public.''

The state, in a response filed in court last week, called the group's challenge "light on the law'' and "heavy on conspiracy theories and absurd accusations.''

https://www.startribune.com/minneso...lenge-to-youth-sports-mask-mandate/600020706/

Last edited:

Go4Broke

Reaction score
An Evidence Review Of Face Masks Against COVID-19
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS)
January 26, 2021

Abstract

The science around the use of masks by the public to impede COVID-19 transmission is advancing rapidly. In this narrative review, we develop an analytical framework to examine mask usage, synthesizing the relevant literature to inform multiple areas: population impact, transmission characteristics, source control, wearer protection, sociological considerations, and implementation considerations.

A primary route of transmission of COVID-19 is via respiratory particles, and it is known to be transmissible from presymptomatic, paucisymptomatic, and asymptomatic individuals. Reducing disease spread requires two things: limiting contacts of infected individuals via physical distancing and other measures and reducing the transmission probability per contact.

The preponderance of evidence indicates that mask wearing reduces transmissibility per contact by reducing transmission of infected respiratory particles in both laboratory and clinical contexts. Public mask wearing is most effective at reducing spread of the virus when compliance is high.

Given the current shortages of medical masks, we recommend the adoption of public cloth mask wearing, as an effective form of source control, in conjunction with existing hygiene, distancing, and contact tracing strategies. Because many respiratory particles become smaller due to evaporation, we recommend increasing focus on a previously overlooked aspect of mask usage: mask wearing by infectious people (“source control”) with benefits at the population level, rather than only mask wearing by susceptible people, such as health care workers, with focus on individual outcomes.

We recommend that public officials and governments strongly encourage the use of widespread face masks in public, including the use of appropriate regulation.

Conclusion

Our review of the literature offers evidence in favor of widespread mask use as source control to reduce community transmission:

- Nonmedical masks use materials that obstruct particles of the necessary size;
people are most infectious in the initial period postinfection, where it is common to have few or no symptoms (45, 46, 141);

- Nonmedical masks have been effective in reducing transmission of respiratory viruses; and places and time periods where mask usage is required or widespread have shown substantially lower community transmission.

The available evidence suggests that near-universal adoption of nonmedical masks when out in public, in combination with complementary public health measures, could successfully reduce R(e) to below 1, thereby reducing community spread if such measures are sustained.

Economic analysis suggests that mask wearing mandates could add 1 trillion dollars to the US GDP (32, 34). Models suggest that public mask wearing is most effective at reducing spread of the virus when compliance is high (39).

We recommend that mask use requirements are implemented by governments, or, when governments do not, by organizations that provide public-facing services.

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/4/e2014564118

Last edited:

LesBolstad

Reaction score
Conclusion: masks do little to nothing to slow the spread.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
As I was saying earlier

Your idea is that masks work, but only if you study them from March-Dec, and not just study them over March-Oct?

How does this make sense with physics?

If they work, they work. Invariant of time.

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score
Cool story, Jim. Strange how Jim never weighs in on the kind of stuff Gov Newsom does every day of the week like this. I"m sure all of these 20-somethings are in grave peril as a result of this dinner.

We have lost all common sense in the world at this point. Take a look around and see what we're doing from 25,000 feet. We have completely lost it, across the board.

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Another clueless, lemme guess, uneducated person of privilege who thinks they understand the law and have no clue, so what color would that make them, LOL?

Should we make her an honorary fella?

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score
People wonder why the country is so divided when all you have to do is look at the identity politics efforts to make every single issue a left vs right issue.

Like masks. The media and the lefties would have you believe that this is 100% a left/right political issue and yet I can't count how many historically Dem voting friends of mine that think the mask mandates are bullshit, the shutdowns are bullshit; and on the flip side, I actually know a number of historically GOP voters who happen to be very pro-mask.

But we need identity politics to continue to separate and divide us, it's important towards perpetuating our current condition; it feeds the machine

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Like masks. The media and the lefties would have you believe that this is 100% a left/right political issue and yet I can't count how many historically Dem voting friends of mine that think the mask mandates are bullshit, the shutdowns are bullshit; and on the flip side, I actually know a number of historically GOP voters who happen to be very pro-mask.
Masks mandates are already divisive on their own. They already divided the country, into support or oppose.

Agree that the already existing division, doesn't need to then be framed as a left/right division.

And? What is your point?

howeda7

Reaction score
Masks mandates are already divisive on their own. They already divided the country, into support or oppose.

Agree that the already existing division, doesn't need to then be framed as a left/right division.

And? What is your point?
I think the headline is that he has tons of Dem friends who hate masks! An uncountable #!

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
Cool story, Jim. Strange how Jim never weighs in on the kind of stuff Gov Newsom does every day of the week like this. I"m sure all of these 20-somethings are in grave peril as a result of this dinner.

We have lost all common sense in the world at this point. Take a look around and see what we're doing from 25,000 feet. We have completely lost it, across the board.
They're all going to die!

Double mask, or you're going to die! It's Science!

Although there has yet to be any controlled experiment with masks and COVID specifically. Doesn't matter though, if you come up with a theory, and repeat the word Science enough, there will be a group dumb enough to believe you.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Although there has yet to be any controlled experiment with masks and COVID specifically.
How would you propose to conduct a controlled experiment where healthy humans are purposefully exposed to a virus that might kill them?

Would that be ethical? Would it be legal?

Also: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/10/dou...re-improve-effectiveness-cdc-study-finds.html

Wearing a cloth mask over a surgical mask can help significantly reduce the risk of exposure to Covid-19, as can improving a mask’s fit, according to a new study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The CDC researchers said they explored the effectiveness of different masking approaches through laboratory experiments in which they placed two artificial heads 6 feet from one another and measured how many coronavirus-sized particles exhaled by one were inhaled by the other.

The researchers found that wearing just one mask, either surgical or cloth, blocked a little over 40% of the particles from simulated breathing by an unmasked head. But a cloth mask on top of a surgical mask blocked about 80% of particles from an unmasked head. When both of the heads in the experiment wore two masks, more than 95% of the particles were blocked, the researchers found.

The study also found that a tighter fit can improved the effectiveness of masks. One way to improve the fit of medical masks is if they are “knotted and tucked.” That’s achieved, the CDC said, “by bringing together the corners and ear loops on each side, knotting the ear loops together where they attach to the mask, and then tucking in and flattening the resulting extra mask material to minimize the side gaps.”

The agency said it found that when both heads were wearing a knotted and tucked mask, about 96% of particles were blocked. When one of the heads was wearing a knotted and tucked mask and the other was not, a little over 60% of particles were blocked.

CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said the study’s findings “underscore the importance of wearing a mask correctly and making sure it fits closely and snugly over your nose and mouth.”

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score
Fifty Shades of Whey spending his days and nights seeking out strange crazy people who do crazy shit because they don't like masks and posting it on the internet for some reason. And Broke seems fascinated by it, following them fervently and immediately reposting.

IF anything, kudos to Broke for illustrating what we all know; these stupid mask mandates are causing significant issues with people's state of mind and further enhancing the divide in our country. Millions of people have had enough of this social experiment

Mission accomplished.

Top Bottom