Do you wear a mask?

When you go out to places like the grocery store, do you wear a mask?

• Yes, I think it helps slow the spread

Votes: 57 43.2%
  • Yes, I'm not sure how much it helps but it's no big deal to wear one

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Yes, but only because I'm required to

Votes: 12 9.1%
  • No, I don't think it helps

• No, It's my decision/I'm healthy so not at risk

• No, They're uncomfortable/can't use them due to a health condition

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • No, it makes us look weak/I'm not going to live in fear

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Other, post below

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Again, you're being an idiot, making this a left/right issue. There are plenty of people on both sides of the aisle that are questioning why there is still a mask mandate virtually everywhere.

Millions of people getting vaccinated, millions were virtually never at any risk in the first place, and yet here we are.

Example:

I'm citizen A; I go out and about and see citizen B (and maybe B's wife) and they are not wearing a mask. These are my options in order to protect myself in the event that I have concerns over COVID:

- I can choose to wear a mask myself, or even multiple masks (if indeed you think they are effective)

- I can choose to properly social distance from citizen B and company, and ALSO wear a mask if I chose, or not wear a mask, because social distance I'm told is very effective

- I can choose to not patronize this establishment at all, or any establishment that doesn't mandate masks, or simply mostly stay home and accomplish most of what I need to do remotely and via the net

In short, what impact does citizen B have on MY own health in any way, shape or form when I have all these options available to myself to protect myself and keep myself safe?

It's about accountability, and the fact that we just have too many people who have no interest in being accountable for their OWN actions, feel it's other people's responsibility to keep THEM safe.
This is all assuming that most close interactions are for leisure and are easy to avoid because they're not necessary or important. But that isn't the reality. For a lot of people, most of their close interactions are related to their job where it's much harder to or impossible to avoid.

howeda7

Reaction score
You said infected people should wear a mask. I agree with you there (really they should be staying home and isolating). Outside of that, you've said nothing.

We let people smoke in public, in millions of more places than where you are free to not wear a mask. And smoking is infinitely more dangerous to every American than COVID. Where's your mandate on that issue?
Everyone should wear a mask because we don't know who is infected.

I'm all for banning smoking in public places. It's nasty.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
In short, what impact does citizen B have on MY own health in any way, shape or form when I have all these options available to myself to protect myself and keep myself safe?
The issue is you're creating a false dilemma.

You want to make it so that only two choices are possible: either you practice mask wearing and distancing for yourself, regardless what the other person does, or you just stay home.

But there is a third option that you are (I think purposefully) leaving out: the other person also has to wear a mask. That's the least risk to you for options beyond being forced to stay home.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
How can the "experts" predict a surge is coming, and we now have multiple different vaccines available?
You haven't heard of the variants that spread more easily? That's why.

I'm hopeful that the vaccines, plus whatever immunity from infections ther is, gets built up quickly enough that we can avoid the surge. But it is not a for sure, yet.

justthefacts

Reaction score
At this point, masks should be an option, across the country. Zero reason for there to be any type of mandate. We've completely lost the ability to be accountable and responsible for our own health and our own actions.

Why are masks still mandatory at this point?
Why are speed limits still mandatory at this point?

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score
Why are speed limits still mandatory at this point?
Speed limits are generally a way for municipalities to generate revenue, and every now and then to go after the idiot going 40MPH over the limit. It's been proven with a boatload of studies, people drive at the speed at which they feel comfortable. They've studied various locations where they both raised the limit by 10MPH and lowered it similarly and the average speed virtually doesn't hardly move a tick.

Maybe try another analogy that could perhaps actually aid your argument?

howeda7

Reaction score
Speed limits are generally a way for municipalities to generate revenue, and every now and then to go after the idiot going 40MPH over the limit. It's been proven with a boatload of studies, people drive at the speed at which they feel comfortable. They've studied various locations where they both raised the limit by 10MPH and lowered it similarly and the average speed virtually doesn't hardly move a tick.

Where is your campaign against speed limit laws?

justthefacts

Reaction score

Last edited:

Spoofin

Reaction score
Fake news to Plausible BS.

I do wish the freeway limits were higher, I would trade the risk for it.
Interesting that you are a-ok “trading the risk” for some things and not ok with others “trading the risk” on other things. 🤷‍♂️

Wally

Reaction score
Interesting that you are a-ok “trading the risk” for some things and not ok with others “trading the risk” on other things. 🤷‍♂️
Freeways are pretty safe overall.

Two lane highways are death traps.

That's one thing I like about living in the city vs the exurbs where I grew up. Safer roads.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
This is simply not true, in anywhere near the universal sense that you're implying.

Record the speed of every vehicle on 94 going up to St Cloud. Lo and behold, the average over all datapoints will be somewhere around 70-75mph. Myself, I would feel completely comfortable going 90-100mph on that stretch of mostly straight, flat freeway. But most people don't? I doubt it.

Last edited:

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Is it that interesting that a person is willing to trade the risk from say 0.0001% to 0.0002%, but not willing to trade the risk from say 0.12% to 0.78%?

It's almost like comparing apples to oranges?

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Freeways are pretty safe overall.

Two lane highways are death traps.

That's one thing I like about living in the city vs the exurbs where I grew up. Safer roads.
Hmmm. Why spend the $$ to install the "railing" systems then, Wallace?

justthefacts

Reaction score
Remember, though, don't you dare suggest that it's Conservatives who are anti-mask.

Gopherfan1000

Reaction score
Only where I ABSOLULTELY have to like entering a store, business, customer site, bar... Never outside. That is so stupid. And, never in my vehicle. Bunch of Sally's out there these days!

Top Bottom