Do you wear a mask?

When you go out to places like the grocery store, do you wear a mask?

• Yes, I think it helps slow the spread

Votes: 46 43.4%
  • Yes, I'm not sure how much it helps but it's no big deal to wear one

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Yes, but only because I'm required to

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • No, I don't think it helps

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • No, It's my decision/I'm healthy so not at risk

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • No, They're uncomfortable/can't use them due to a health condition

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • No, it makes us look weak/I'm not going to live in fear

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other, post below

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Total voters

mnsportsgeek

Reaction score
Yes, if that's what it takes to get the government to let me leave the house, I can accommodate.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
I like to think I’m able to see all three sides of an issue.

WilliamsArenaGuy

The anti-Loon
Reaction score
Thanks for the sermon. Rather than just ignoring the thread, you took the time to inform some posters they are falling short. Certainly impressive as well that you can see both sides, so thanks for mentioning that.
Nice to meet you too. You didn't need to read it. Put me on ignore. Then you won't be bothered by the whopping 5-10 posts I write on politics in a year.

I responded to Spoofin and he and I were civil to each other.

golf

Reaction score
Nice to meet you too. You didn't need to read it. Put me on ignore. Then you won't be bothered by the whopping 5-10 posts I write on politics in a year.

I was perhaps overly snippy. Could have no doubt made my point in a more fair, civil way - apologies.

WilliamsArenaGuy

The anti-Loon
Reaction score
I was perhaps overly snippy. Could have no doubt made my point in a more fair, civil way - apologies.
No problem. Appreciate the response. Everyone is snippy these days.
And golfing is my favorite thing to do, so I’m guessing we have that in common at a minimum.

MplsGopher

Reaction score

No offense, but this is a big part of the problem with America. Too damned many quiet people.

The loud, angry people get to run the show. The silent people just sit there and suffer.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
This is a stretch. You have taken things so out of context. Motrin isn't even close to the effects of Covid-19.

Type 1 pneumocytes are destroyed by CV19. Type 2 then respond to regenerate into type 1, but, that uisually doesn't happen with Covid. Instead, it ultimately ends up being scar tissue. Where there is scar tissue, there is no gas exchange. The result of which is the lungs reduced capacity on a permanent basis. It is why the military will not accept recovered CV19 patients into the service. These people will ultimately be seen as having a lifelong condition as a result.

You have reached the ignore zone for being a dumbass.
Just saw this. You continually talk authoritatively without proper nuance on things you don’t completely understand and somehow draw unproven and at times ludicrous conclusions on bits of information.

The military has only disqualified entrance to those hospitalized with COVID- 19, a very small percentage of COVID-19 survivors. There is a long list of MEPS disqualifying conditions and this guidance is reasonable given the 20-30 percent (based on 2003 SARS statistics) of severe cases that develop fibrosis. The military can afford to weed out those that have a reduced chance of completing training or becoming an undue burden on their teammates and shipmates (and taxpayers).

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Discussion on wearing masks along with a new study that says wearing a mask could help slow the spread substantially.

Panthadad2

Reaction score
Just saw this. You continually talk authoritatively without proper nuance on things you don’t completely understand and somehow draw unproven and at times ludicrous conclusions on bits of information.

The military has only disqualified entrance to those hospitalized with COVID- 19, a very small percentage of COVID-19 survivors. There is a long list of MEPS disqualifying conditions and this guidance is reasonable given the 20-30 percent (based on 2003 SARS statistics) of severe cases that develop fibrosis. The military can afford to weed out those that have a reduced chance of completing training or becoming an undue burden on their teammates and shipmates (and taxpayers).

This was just a nice way to say the post (you referenced) was full of sh't.

golf

Reaction score
Talking to a guy the other day who said he can't understand why there isnt a law requiring people to wear masks when they leave their home. I don't wear a mask myself as feel we accept many risks in life (speed limit is 65 not 45 argument) and the cv at this point doesn't rise to a great enuf risk to change my behavior. However, I have no issues with others wearing masks if they choose.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
What I've noticed at the grocery store I go to is that the age group that wears masks the least is younger people (25 and younger). But really those are the people that should be wearing them the most as they are the most likely to spread it without showing any symptoms.

golf

Reaction score
Was just listening to an npr show where two state health officials were saying people should wear masks whenever outside. They said an exception might be if jogging because it's harder to breathe and one is moving quicker so less risk. I think it is really difficult for many people to understand masking for gardening or lawn mowing but for some reason state health thinks it's necessary.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
Was just listening to an npr show where two state health officials were saying people should wear masks whenever outside. They said an exception might be if jogging because it's harder to breathe and one is moving quicker so less risk. I think it is really difficult for many people to understand masking for gardening or lawn mowing but for some reason state health thinks it's necessary.
I can only speak for myself. I haven't been masking for yard work. I just can't see how it makes sense unless the neighbor is having a rave in their back yard or something. When I'm biking or walking with my wife and dog, we just keep a safe distance from others, and I just avoid taking big breaths in or out when people are passing close by. That seems like abundant enough caution.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
That I don't get at all. I never wear a mask when outside, going for walks, etc. People in our neighborhood are being courteous and keeping their distance when out on walks. It's not necessary IMO unless you're going to be around a lot of people, especially inside like at a grocery store.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
Really need a picture of you mowing the lawn in that :)
Haven't tried that yet, but I suppose an added benefit will be it'll double as a weight loss device when I mow the lawn...or all summer long for that matter.

Honestly, I just got it so I don't know much yet. Only that it freaks out people at Costco, and that it's hard to drive in the thing.

golf

Reaction score
Haven't tried that yet, but I suppose an added benefit will be it'll double as a weight loss device when I mow the lawn...or all summer long for that matter.

Honestly, I just got it so I don't know much yet. Only that it freaks out people at Costco, and that it's hard to drive in the thing.
Hilarious. Am guessing some would see it as totally logical.

Last edited:

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I can only speak for myself. I haven't been masking for yard work. I just can't see how it makes sense unless the neighbor is having a rave in their back yard or something. When I'm biking or walking with my wife and dog, we just keep a safe distance from others, and I just avoid taking big breaths in or out when people are passing close by. That seems like abundant enough caution.
Again this may not be anything more than a belief, but I think with air circulation and space outside, the airborne virus moisture particles from breath are far less likely to "make it" from one person to another, as opposed to when both are indoors.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
I'm continually being told that people should be just treated like adults. That they will do the right, safe things and look out for each other.
Most will. Some wont.

Similar to a year ago, 5 years ago, and 50 years ago,

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I'm continually being told that people should be just treated like adults. That they will do the right, safe things and look out for each other.
Huh!

Because I've been told very sternly that we are not "in this all together".

Top Bottom