Do you wear a mask?

When you go out to places like the grocery store, do you wear a mask?

• Yes, I think it helps slow the spread

Votes: 55 43.7%
  • Yes, I'm not sure how much it helps but it's no big deal to wear one

Votes: 33 26.2%
  • Yes, but only because I'm required to

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • No, I don't think it helps

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • No, It's my decision/I'm healthy so not at risk

Votes: 12 9.5%
  • No, They're uncomfortable/can't use them due to a health condition

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • No, it makes us look weak/I'm not going to live in fear

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Other, post below

Votes: 6 4.8%

• Total voters

stocker08

Reaction score
A Birthday Party Infected 15 Relatives With COVID: 'Please Don’t Be Like My Family’

A Texas family is urging others to abstain from gathering after a small birthday party left 15 people infected with COVID — and one of them in the hospital.

Last week, the city of Arlington released a video in which the family spoke out about their experience with the coronavirus and warned other people about its spread.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
The people that study these things say they are different. There’s lots of info about what things are riskier than others. It’s about space and time. Churches are higher risk too. I can’t speak for others but our church has a virtual option that a majority of parishioners are taking advantage of. I’m really not pushing for or against anything. Just saying the risk is different for different activities.

I agree that the risk is different for different activities.

My problem is that they are using extremely limited, and likely inaccurate data, to close some lower risk businesses, while other higher risk areas remain open. There is no consistency.

Gyms are the big one for me. The benefits of a gym, especially this time of the year, far outweigh the minimal risk that comes with working out in one. It would have made sense to put a hold on group classes for a month, but to shut all gyms down?

The hospitalizations of non-elderly people for this disease are overwhelmingly obese. Gyms should be viewed as a part of the solution, not a part of the problem. Shutting them down completely makes absolutely no sense.

Last edited:

Blizzard

Reaction score
Gyms are the big one for me. The benefits of a gym, especially this time of the year, far outweigh the minimal risk that comes with working out with one. It would have made sense to put a hold on group classes for a month, but to shut all gyms down?
Agreed. I haven't scanned through the other pages from this thread but have the stats been posted that the Lifetime Fitness CEO provided?

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
I agree that the risk is different for different activities.

My problem is that they are using extremely limited, and likely inaccurate data, to close some lower risk businesses, while other higher risk areas remain open. There is no consistency.

Gyms are the big one for me. The benefits of a gym, especially this time of the year, far outweigh the minimal risk that comes with working out in one. It would have made sense to put a hold on group classes for a month, but to shut all gyms down?

The hospitalizations of non-elderly people for this disease are overwhelmingly obese. Gyms should be viewed as a part of the solution, not a part of the problem. Shutting them down completely makes absolutely no sense.
I agree with this. At the very least there needs to be much better communication as to why things are being done.

Gyms I think just really depend on the setting. Some are pretty big with high ceilings and good ventilation. Others are cramped with very little ventilation. It’s probably those that are causing the closures.

justthefacts

Reaction score
Again, that's 83% of people wear a mask at some time in public. That stat ignores all of the family-family, family-friend, and other private gatherings, where mask use is probably closer to 10%. The transmission is generally happening in the private gatherings (if not at restaurants/bars, which is more of a public setting and in which masks are not generally worn).
It also ignores the fact that 0% of people wear masks while eating in restaurants.

John Galt

Reaction score
Let's get this straight. IF SOMEONE CONTRACTS COVID NOW, IT IS A RESULT OF A CONTINUED CHAIN OF TRANSMISSION. THOSE FOLKS THAT GOT COVID AT A WEDDING IN SEPTEMBER OR OCTOBER HAVE TRANSMITTED TO OTHERS. THOSE OTHERS TRANSMIT TO OTHERS, WHO TRANSMIT TO OTHERS, WHO TRANSMIT TO OTHERS.

It's as if you don't understand the most elementary concepts of viral spread.
FOR CASE COUNTS TO BE SPIKING NOW, THE VIRUS HAD TO BE TRANSMITTED IN NOVEMBER.

Section2

Reaction score
I had an employee at my former job who was at a COVID super spreader wedding in SW Minn. She and her husband got it and then came home and gave it to their daughter.

As I think about this. Let’s assume it’s true. What’s the obvious takeaway? Old people and the vulnerable can just avoid bars and restaurants
Again, that's 83% of people wear a mask at some time in public. That stat ignores all of the family-family, family-friend, and other private gatherings, where mask use is probably closer to 10%. The transmission is generally happening in the private gatherings (if not at restaurants/bars, which is more of a public setting and in which masks are not generally worn).
But the mask mandates don’t stipulate family, friend, and private gatherings. So you’re just admitting that they do not work. If your made you numbers are right, people might feel that since they wear masks to Home Depot and the grocery store, they are safe and take fewer precautions at home and with friends.

justthefacts

Reaction score
As I think about this. Let’s assume it’s true. What’s the obvious takeaway? Old people and the vulnerable can just avoid bars and restaurants

But the mask mandates don’t stipulate family, friend, and private gatherings. So you’re just admitting that they do not work. If your made you numbers are right, people might feel that since they wear masks to Home Depot and the grocery store, they are safe and take fewer precautions at home and with friends.
This "old people and vulnerable" thing has been discussed to death. Those people frequently come into contact with non-vulnerable people.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Anyone wonder why stewardesses aren’t dropping like flies? People on planes take their masks off to eat peanuts, and have a drink. Closed confined space for hours. Maybe it’s the ventilation and not the masks?
Waiting for a tweet from justnofacts and for GII to explain things.......

justthefacts

Reaction score
Maybe they should stop doing that during outbreaks.
Yes! We finally found the solution. Also maybe:

• People should stop committing murder
  • People should stop driving drunk
  • People should stop stealing identities

We can now eliminate all police forces because Section2 has found the solution to people doing things they shouldn't.

Section2

Reaction score
Yes! We finally found the solution. Also maybe:

• People should stop committing murder
  • People should stop driving drunk
  • People should stop stealing identities

We can now eliminate all police forces because Section2 has found the solution to people doing things they shouldn't.
If YOU are at risk of catching the disease, there are simple steps YOU can take to reduce your chances of contraction. Your list is people violating the rights of others. Not surprised you are a very confused individual. But then, individual rights and responsibilities are counter to your utopian goal.

justthefacts

Reaction score
If YOU are at risk of catching the disease, there are simple steps YOU can take to reduce your chances of contraction. Your list is people violating the rights of others. Not surprised you are a very confused individual. But then, individual rights and responsibilities are counter to your utopian goal.
A 19 year old who goes to a restaurant is not at high risk of being harmed by the disease, but can infect others.

Section2

Reaction score
When they go home and eat dinner with their parents...
Hmmm. How old are their parents? Vulnerable?
but fine, let’s accept your example. It is up to the parents and the 19 year old to protect themselves. It’s not up to the government to manage all of our lives and destroy business, it’s up to those 3 people.

Wally

Reaction score
but fine, let’s accept your example. It is up to the parents and the 19 year old to protect themselves. It’s not up to the government to manage all of our lives and destroy business, it’s up to those 3 people.
If that had worked the hospitals would be empty.

I am actually fine with them letting it rip completely if it didn't impact my kids ability to keep going to school.

The reason I am ok with shutdowns now is that I want my kids in school, that is my concern above all others. Their school will only close for positive cases, lack of teachers or if the state forces them to. At the virus levels right now I am worried my kids classes will go distance due to positives. Three grades went 14 day distance at the end of last week due to positive cases luckily not my kids grades.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Or the 19 year goes to a restaurant and infects the waitress that’s higher risk but can’t afford to not be working. Or the 19 year old infects mom or dad who has a co-worker that’s higher risk. Or the 19 year old’s mom is a nurse at a nursing home. It goes beyond just those 3 people that can be influenced by their decisions.

Section2

Reaction score

I am actually fine with them letting it rip completely if it didn't impact my kids ability to keep going to school.

The reason I am ok with shutdowns now is that I want my kids in school, that is my concern above all others. Their school will only close for positive cases, lack of teachers or if the state forces them to. At the virus levels right now I am worried my kids classes will go distance due to positives. Three grades went 14 day distance at the end of last week due to positive cases luckily not my kids grades.
It doesn’t work the way YOU want it to work. But of course it works. If you are vulnerable you are in control of your level of risk. You could reduce it to zero if you chose to do so. If you have a 19 year old living with you, it’s up to you to make changes to manage that risk. It’s not up to Walz.

schools have been distance at least partially, since the start of the school year. And the results are disastrous.

Section2

Reaction score
Or the 19 year goes to a restaurant and infects the waitress that’s higher risk but can’t afford to not be working. Or the 19 year old infects mom or dad who has a co-worker that’s higher risk. Or the 19 year old’s mom is a nurse at a nursing home. It goes beyond just those 3 people that can be influenced by their decisions.
So we need to shut down the restaurant, and take away the job of the waitress who needs to work. Brilliant plan.
mom or dads coworker is taking that risk.
I’m sure the nurse in the nursing home is wearing a mask, which means they aren’t spreading it in the nursing home?

Wally

Reaction score
schools have been distance at least partially, since the start of the school year. And the results are disastrous.
I agree, my kids are in private, we were done with distance learning. Best thing that came out of covid is getting them in private school.

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score
This "old people and vulnerable" thing has been discussed to death. Those people frequently come into contact with non-vulnerable people.
Doesn't sound like they are being very responsible in regards to their own health, does it? Sounds dumb to me, but keep sticking with that, you're on a roll

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
So we need to shut down the restaurant, and take away the job of the waitress who needs to work. Brilliant plan.
mom or dads coworker is taking that risk.
I’m sure the nurse in the nursing home is wearing a mask, which means they aren’t spreading it in the nursing home?
That’s a nice change of topic you slipped in there. I was just bringing up examples of ways that 19 year old in this example could infect others outside his immediate family. I’m not for completely closing the restaurants BTW.

Once again your plan seems to be that 30+% of the population sits at home and doesn’t come in contact with anyone that leaves the home. Not sure how that plan would help the economy, depression, kids ability to learn, etc.

You and others still don’t seem to understand that masks are not even close to 100% effective. And no one has claimed they are.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
That’s a nice change of topic you slipped in there. I was just bringing up examples of ways that 19 year old in this example could infect others outside his immediate family. I’m not for completely closing the restaurants BTW.

Once again your plan seems to be that 30+% of the population sits at home and doesn’t come in contact with anyone that leaves the home. Not sure how that plan would help the economy, depression, kids ability to learn, etc.

You and others still don’t seem to understand that masks are not even close to 100% effective. And no one has claimed they are.
No one can claim any level of effectiveness.
Maybe Potential. Could. Might. Possibly

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
It also ignores the fact that 0% of people wear masks while eating in restaurants.
Should that matter if you are seated 6 feet apart with only people in your household. As long as the servers are wearing masks I hardly see how that is more dangerous than eating dinner at your house with the same people. Wear a mask into the restaurant be seated and then wear it out after dinner. Plus it’s a free choice to go into the restaurant.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
A 19 year old who goes to a restaurant is not at high risk of being harmed by the disease, but can infect others.
Then I want a breatholizer in every bar and restaurant. Come in for a drink you must be under the legal limit to drive home. That 21 year old is completely healthy but he could run into someone over the age of 65 on their way home. Usually the drunk driver is not killed but the innocent people are hurt or killed. I want the government to remove all the risks of living.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score

More than likely it won’t be because of positive tests but because of the self mandated isolation and contact tracing. One teaching will get sick and it out dozens because they were in the same room as them eating lunch.

Top Bottom