Do you wear a mask?

When you go out to places like the grocery store, do you wear a mask?

• Yes, I think it helps slow the spread

Votes: 55 43.0%
  • Yes, I'm not sure how much it helps but it's no big deal to wear one

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • Yes, but only because I'm required to

Votes: 12 9.4%
  • No, I don't think it helps

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • No, It's my decision/I'm healthy so not at risk

Votes: 12 9.4%
  • No, They're uncomfortable/can't use them due to a health condition

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • No, it makes us look weak/I'm not going to live in fear

Votes: 7 5.5%
  • Other, post below

Votes: 6 4.7%

• Total voters

John Galt

Reaction score
I'm "arguing for shutting schools"? Where? No. I have argued that I think it is OK if schools decide to shut down temporarily to get their sh1t in order. I'm not sure what kind of a-hole would try to argue against something like that. If you want to be as idiotic as the Trumpsters around here, be my guest.
Why do schools have to get their sh&t in order? You’ve been arguing that they are doing everything right.

I’m convinced you just like to argue out both sides of your mouth.

John Galt

Reaction score
I was in one. Almost ZERO mask wearing. Weddings are going on all over the place. Wake TF up.
I’m sure you’ve attended 3 weddings this month. A typical November. You were probably even the maid of honor in 2 of them. 😉

cncmin

Reaction score
Lots of examples lately of weddings being super spreaders. And if bars and restaurants are empty, why are so many people complaining about restrictions? You seem to think we’re still in April.

I’ll ask again, if none of these things are big spreaders, what do you think is?
Some of these people are just unbelievable. They think Covid doesn't matter, they don't care if people are sick and dying from it, and they can't admit that it's spread anyplace by anyone. It's a mystery how some of these folks dress themselves in the morning.

cncmin

Reaction score
Why do schools have to get their sh&t in order? You’ve been arguing that they are doing everything right.

I’m convinced you just like to argue out both sides of your mouth.
You do realize that Covid transmits to students from outside of school, too, right? It can also transmit in school. Many teachers and faculty at schools across the country have died from Covid. Do you think none of that matters? If so, why?

A bigger and better question - how in the F'ing hell do all of you RWers think exactly the same on every. single. topic. It's as if you are all getting all of your information from the same singular sources, all repeating the same mantras over and over and over. It shouldn't be surprising to see any of you project any individual thought or logic processes. But goddamn, man, it is a rare event to see any of you having any political opinions that differ from your other RWers. Cult.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
I'm "arguing for shutting schools"? Where? No. I have argued that I think it is OK if schools decide to shut down temporarily to get their sh1t in order. I'm not sure what kind of a-hole would try to argue against something like that. If you want to be as idiotic as the Trumpsters around here, be my guest.
You said case rates should be zero or close to zero or schools should be closed and remain closed. That means...2022? 2023?

Produce some evidence. I’ve been begging all day. You must have something?

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
How are weddings super spreaders? Almost no one gets married in November of a typical year, and I’m sure the number of weddings this year are far below a normal November. And cases are spiking right now.
The high numbers now weren’t just caused by actions in November, September and October are both one of the more popular months for weddings. Yeah they’re probably down this year but they’re still happening and happening more now than in April. Do a quick search for “wedding super spreader” and you’ll find lots of examples from the last two months.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
You do realize that Covid transmits to students from outside of school, too, right? It can also transmit in school. Many teachers and faculty at schools across the country have died from Covid. Do you think none of that matters? If so, why?

A bigger and better question - how in the F'ing hell do all of you RWers think exactly the same on every. single. topic. It's as if you are all getting all of your information from the same singular sources, all repeating the same mantras over and over and over. It shouldn't be surprising to see any of you project any individual thought or logic processes. But goddamn, man, it is a rare event to see any of you having any political opinions that differ from your other RWers. Cult.
How many contracted the virus from a student? From a fellow staff member?

It’s as if you’re ignoring every expert out there on this topic. It’s a bad look to ridicule others while producing unsupported statements, ie misinformation.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Bars and restaurants were hanging on by a thread, closing them is a death knell. While it’s been nice, people have eaten outside.

I don’t know honestly. I just know that shutdowns and mask mandates have not produced results. The virus seems to do what viruses do. While we have an outbreak, vulnerable individuals should increase hand washing, wear a clean n 95 in public, but should try to isolate as much as possible. The rest of us should live our lives.
If viruses are going to do what they’re going to do as you say, then wouldn’t events and situations where large amounts of people are in close proximity of each other for long periods of time allow the virus to do what it does a lot easier?

It’s ok to be against restrictions and lockdowns while still recognizing that some situations may be greater risk.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Some of these people are just unbelievable. They think Covid doesn't matter, they don't care if people are sick and dying from it, and they can't admit that it's spread anyplace by anyone. It's a mystery how some of these folks dress themselves in the morning.
Some of us care, but adding insult to injury via unsound policy isn’t helping matters and creating new problems. There’s an admittedly idealistic vision of what should happen (see Germany), and the reality of what is happening with our motley population.

The vaccines may be a pleasant efficacious (and relatively safe ) game changer, next year but I fear the scientific community has been badly damaged by the politicization of the pandemic response and really poor messaging and public relations which may affect uptake. Even worse is the censorship going on in social media, fueling conspiracy theories and creating even more distrust. Censorship...doesn’t work. I thought we were better than this.

cncmin

Reaction score
You said case rates should be zero or close to zero or schools should be closed and remain closed. That means...2022? 2023?

Produce some evidence. I’ve been begging all day. You must have something?
WTF are you talking about??? Get a good night's sleep and get your stuff in order. Maybe we can have a decent conversation another day, when hopefully you're reasonably coherent.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
WTF are you talking about??? Get a good night's sleep and get your stuff in order. Maybe we can have a decent conversation another day, when hopefully you're reasonably coherent.
Just take your L and call it a day.

From earlier today:
My position is that schools should be open so long as Covid rates are either zero or very low; and that it is up to school administrators to do what they think is right in the event of what they feel is excessive transmittal. Some will overdo it, some will under-do it. Those who overdo it will be criticized, and many of those will tamp back. Those who under-do it will be criticized, and many of those will increase protocols. We will iterate toward a common set of protocols over time, and it's not worth being over-dramatic about things that aren't directly affecting you.

cncmin

Reaction score
Just take your L and call it a day.

From earlier today:
... MY POSITION IS THAT SCHOOLS SHOULD BE OPEN so long as Covid rates are either zero or very low; and that it is up to school administrators to do what they think is right in the event of what they feel is excessive transmittal. .... = schools must close!!! ?????

OoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooK, then, ding dong. Get some sleep, have some coffee, and get your brain in order for a better day tomorrow. Dear lord.

Last edited:

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
...Schools SHOULD BE OPEN.... = schools must close????????????????????????????

OK, ding dong.
So long as rates are at zero or close to zero - you forgot the rest of your statement. You also said administrators should do what they “feel“ is best. Should that correlate with scientific experts, or not?

I posted your statement. Are you retracting all or part of it?

Stop with the name calling. I’ll accept your apology in advance.

cncmin

Reaction score
So long as rates are at zero or close to zero - you forgot the rest of your statement. You also said administrators should do what they “feel“ is best. Should that correlate with scientific experts, or not?

I posted your statement. Are you retracting all or part of it?

Stop with the name calling. I’ll accept your apology in advance.
I recommend you take an elementary course on reading comprehension. Hint: nowhere whatsoever in my statement did I provide a condition for schools to be closed, other than by the decision of the administrators. I did provide my opinion for when I feel that schools should be open. You conflate two very different subjects and jump to conclusions, when simply reading closely and not making up your own interpretations would have been appropriate. Words matter. Punctuation matters. My opinion was laid out explicitly, yet you still couldn't take the words right in front of you for their literal value, and you added nonsense that was never there. Next time be far more careful before jumping to conclusions. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
I recommend you take an elementary course on reading comprehension. Hint: nowhere whatsoever in my statement did I provide a condition for schools to be closed, other than by the decision of the administrators. I did provide my opinion for when I feel that schools should be open. You conflate two very different subjects and jump to conclusions, when simply reading closely and not making up your own interpretations would have been appropriate. Words matter. Punctuation matters. My opinion was laid out explicitly, yet you still couldn't take the words right in front of you for their literal value, and you added nonsense that was never there. Next time be far more careful before jumping to conclusions. Thanks in advance.
Yes, they do. Just give it up man. I’ve asked you repeatedly for:

1) numerical values of case rates (eg per 100k) for your “close to zero” stipulation on reopening schools
2) evidence for supporting school closures during the current lamdemic
3) derivation of point 1 above
4) an explanation for your administrator comment - this implies you’re ok with whatever wild haired policy they come up with? Sure, ok.

You continue to evade the argument, and what’s worse is call me names for trying to pin you down on your position, and comment that I have a reading comprehension issue. I’m literally asking you to clarify your position. Grow up.

cncmin

Reaction score
Yes, they do. Just give it up man. I’ve asked you repeatedly for:

1) numerical values of case rates (eg per 100k) for your “close to zero” stipulation on reopening schools
2) evidence for supporting school closures during the current lamdemic
3) derivation of point 1 above
4) an explanation for your administrator comment - this implies you’re ok with whatever wild haired policy they come up with? Sure, ok.

You continue to evade the argument, and what’s worse is call me names for trying to pin you down on your position, and comment that I have a reading comprehension issue. I’m literally asking you to clarify your position. Grow up.
Look dude, I am NOT a school administrator. I would guess that you are not, either. They have very difficult jobs, and especially so these days. They are under tremendous pressure from folks scared of Covid and want more protections, and those like you who demand less protections, and still others that actually believe Covid is a hoax and zero threat to anyone. I don't envy their position, and you shouldn't either. Shutting down schools temporarily when case rates go up is part of the reason why transmission at school is apparently relatively low. Other important reasons include strict protocols schools have set up to ensure kids are doing things to stay safe, as well as the fact that kids tend not to have as severe symptoms as older adults (and thus, presumably, potentially less infectious output), among a variety of reasons.

Since it is not my job to determine when schools should or should not be open, and since I am not in any school on a regular basis on which to make such a determination, I think those decisions are best left in the hands of the administrators of those schools, armchair quarterbacks like you be damned. You know, let those responsible actually be responsible. As a parent, I appreciate that there are school administrators who are trying their best, whether I believe their decisions are optimal or not. You and I can bellyache all we want from our armchairs, but in the end they are only doing what they believe to be best for their schools. And I think you expend way too much energy getting all worked up over this. Kids will learn and be educated, whether they are physically at a school or tele-schooling. Some will actually learn more by teleschooling. Many will not. In the end, my opinion doesn't matter on this, and neither does yours. When Covid infection rates drop to a reasonable level, this will all go away. Until then, let it go.

Last edited:

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Look dude, I am NOT a school administrator. I would guess that you are not, either. They have very difficult jobs, and especially so these days. They are under tremendous pressure from folks scared of Covid and want more protections, and those like you who demand less protections, and still others that actually believe Covid is a hoax and zero threat to anyone. I don't envy their position, and you shouldn't either. Shutting down schools temporarily is part of the reason why transmission at school is apparently relatively low. Other important reasons include strict protocols schools have set up to ensure kids are doing the least possible to stay safe, as well as the fact that kids tend not to have as severe symptoms as older adults (and thus, presumably, less infected output, among a variety of reasons.

Since it is not my job to determine when schools should or should not be open, and since I am not in any school on a regular basis on which to make such a determination, I think those decisions are best left in the hands of the administrators of those schools, armchair quarterbacks like you be damned. You know, let those responsible actually be responsible. You and I can bellyache all we want from our armchairs, but in the end they are only doing what they believe to be best for their schools. And I think you expend way too much energy getting all worked up over this. In the end, my opinion doesn't matter on this, and neither does yours. Let it go.
False, I’ve argued for masks, distancing, shielding, and proper ventilation practices (it doesn’t need to be complicated)

You're ignoring all the data from countries that never closed schools, and US states that have been open, regarding very low transmission rates. They have not been hotspots or sources of significant clusters.

I think administrators should follow the directive of scientific experts rather than the fears of some educators and parents. This is important.

cncmin

Reaction score
False, I’ve argued for masks, distancing, shielding, and proper ventilation practices (it doesn’t need to be complicated)

You're ignoring all the data from countries that never closed schools, and US states that have been open, regarding very low transmission rates. They have not been hotspots or sources of significant clusters.

I think administrators should follow the directive of scientific experts rather than the fears of some educators and parents. This is important.
Yes. Of course. And it seems that, in large part, they are. Notably, there is very mixed "guidance" from the federal level, and this level of general chaos with different states and localities taking very different approaches should then be fully expected. If you want to place blame for this chaos someplace, start at the top.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Yes. Of course. And it seems that, in large part, they are. Notably, there is very mixed "guidance" from the federal level, and this level of general chaos with different states and localities taking very different approaches should then be fully expected. If you want to place blame for this chaos someplace, start at the top.
🤷‍♂️
You’re officially unreachable. Like a stone wall of obtusity.

Angry

Reaction score
The high numbers now weren’t just caused by actions in November, September and October are both one of the more popular months for weddings. Yeah they’re probably down this year but they’re still happening and happening more now than in April. Do a quick search for “wedding super spreader” and you’ll find lots of examples from the last two months.
Yeah and there was that Guns and Roses video for November rain and there was a wedding so..... science.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
I was in one. Almost ZERO mask wearing. The wedding and ceremony took place both outdoors and in indoor space with doors and windows open. I was one of the few who wore a mask and socially distanced as much as reasonably possible, which is difficult when you're in the wedding party, during photos, during the ceremony, during the dinner, at which the groom and bride requested we do not. Very few others that attended wore a mask at any time. Weddings like this are going on all over the place, especially in rural America. They are common spreader events. Wake up, man.
All this and not a peep about your own team - gavin, nancy.

Wally

Reaction score
So all you have is feaux claims that mask mandates aren’t being followed.
No its that people still interact alot in various ways without masks. The mandates are being followed at least in public.

You logic is really nonsensical. Who exactly is the mask mandate hurting?
Its temporary.
Wear an N95/KN95

Last edited:

John Galt

Reaction score
But practically no one is getting married right now. In November. When cases are spiking. If someone contracts Covid now, it’s not because they went to a wedding in September or October. So the notion that weddings are a primary cause of the spike right now is ridiculous.

John Galt

Reaction score
Look dude, I am NOT a school administrator. I would guess that you are not, either. They have very difficult jobs, and especially so these days. They are under tremendous pressure from folks scared of Covid and want more protections, and those like you who demand less protections, and still others that actually believe Covid is a hoax and zero threat to anyone. I don't envy their position, and you shouldn't either. Shutting down schools temporarily when case rates go up is part of the reason why transmission at school is apparently relatively low. Other important reasons include strict protocols schools have set up to ensure kids are doing things to stay safe, as well as the fact that kids tend not to have as severe symptoms as older adults (and thus, presumably, potentially less infectious output), among a variety of reasons.

Since it is not my job to determine when schools should or should not be open, and since I am not in any school on a regular basis on which to make such a determination, I think those decisions are best left in the hands of the administrators of those schools, armchair quarterbacks like you be damned. You know, let those responsible actually be responsible. As a parent, I appreciate that there are school administrators who are trying their best, whether I believe their decisions are optimal or not. You and I can bellyache all we want from our armchairs, but in the end they are only doing what they believe to be best for their schools. And I think you expend way too much energy getting all worked up over this. Kids will learn and be educated, whether they are physically at a school or tele-schooling. Some will actually learn more by teleschooling. Many will not. In the end, my opinion doesn't matter on this, and neither does yours. When Covid infection rates drop to a reasonable level, this will all go away. Until then, let it go.
So closing schools is up to how school administrators feel? Or science?

John Galt

Reaction score
No its that people still interact alot in various ways without masks.

You logic is really nonsensical. Who exactly is the mask mandate hurting?
Its temporary.
Wear an N95/KN95
I wear a mask everywhere that I’m supposed to. I think it’s silly and not really effective, but I wear one. Like I said earlier, the hardcore maskers are into this so deep they have their reputations riding on the effectiveness of masks. Years from now, after Covid passes, you’ll be seeing them still wearing masks to prevent the flu, colds, etc. Will Walz mandate masks indoors every winter? We’ll see.

Wally

Reaction score
I wear a mask everywhere that I’m supposed to. I think it’s silly and not really effective, but I wear one. Like I said earlier, the hardcore maskers are into this so deep they have their reputations riding on the effectiveness of masks. Years from now, after Covid passes, you’ll be seeing them still wearing masks to prevent the flu, colds, etc. Will Walz mandate masks indoors every winter? We’ll see.
I don't argue that shit masks do much, never have. It is possible people get false sense of security with them, thats why I have been saying wear a good mask for the last 6 months.

USAF

Reaction score
Where's spoof to tell us there's no political correlation to wearing a mask?

Effing Trumpanistas. Lock them all up.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
But practically no one is getting married right now. In November. When cases are spiking. If someone contracts Covid now, it’s not because they went to a wedding in September or October. So the notion that weddings are a primary cause of the spike right now is ridiculous.
No, weddings are still happening. And I never said they were the primary cause. The whole discussion was about gatherings where mask wearing isn’t occurring. Weddings, parties, get togethers with family, bars, and restaurants are all situations where most people aren’t wearing masks. You also seem to think that the people that are infected at a wedding don’t then spread it to others.

Top Bottom