Do you wear a mask?

When you go out to places like the grocery store, do you wear a mask?

• Yes, I think it helps slow the spread

Votes: 46 43.4%
  • Yes, I'm not sure how much it helps but it's no big deal to wear one

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Yes, but only because I'm required to

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • No, I don't think it helps

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • No, It's my decision/I'm healthy so not at risk

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • No, They're uncomfortable/can't use them due to a health condition

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • No, it makes us look weak/I'm not going to live in fear

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other, post below

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Total voters

Spoofin

Reaction score
I've heard of a few instances of people being made fun of or called names while wearing a mask but I agree it's probably not that common. There are people on social media encouraging others to not wear a mask.

A family friend's daughter works at Menards and shortly after they required customers to wear a mask to shop there, some guy got so upset that he threatened her. They now have to have security at the front door because a few wackos were getting way too aggressive because they couldn't do a very simple thing.
Unfortunately, there are some real wackos out there. In my experience, I am yet to see anyone make a deal out of someone else wearing a mask. I'm sure it happens, but suspect we are talking real outlier stuff.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there are some real wackos out there. In my experience, I am yet to see anyone make a deal out of someone else wearing a mask. I'm sure it happens, but suspect we are talking real outlier stuff.
Hey, it's on Twitter, so it must be real and happening everywhere

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Agreed.

I saw this story yesterday. Doesn't really have to do with wearing/not wearing masks but still shows how ridiculous some people can be.

Massachusetts ice cream shop closes day after reopening amid coronavirus over patrons harassing workers

But Friday’s grand reopening turned into a harsh lesson for the small business, according to Lawrence, who told FOX25 Boston that customers frustrated with having to wait longer for their ice cream after the shop grew busy took their anger out on his staff.

“One of my best workers quit yesterday at the end of her shift,” he said. “But the words she was called and the language, you wouldn’t even say in a men’s locker room, and to say it to a 17-year-old kid, they should be ashamed of themselves.”

Under a new plan to keep customers and employees safe, Lawrence said he posted on the shop’s Facebook page that all orders must be placed one hour in advance. However, many patrons didn’t follow the new rules, according to Lawrence, and appeared to forget their manners after weeks of social distancing.

“People have forgotten how to treat other human beings in the six or seven weeks that they’ve been confined to their homes,” he told the station. “They have no clue how to respect other human beings.”

Veritas

Banned
Reaction score
Wouldn't encouraging people to wear masks and practice social distancing potentially help get businesses open sooner?
Whatever it takes to get this latest "Dump Trump" over with. Most everyone, even Sweden, accepts that social distancing and frequent hand washing are good and useful tools to avoid this and any other disease. Masks seem to be the latest sign of social virtue and DFL team spirit.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
Whatever it takes to get this latest "Dump Trump" over with. Most everyone, even Sweden, accepts that social distancing and frequent hand washing are good and useful tools to avoid this and any other disease. Masks seem to be the latest sign of social virtue and DFL team spirit.
Ha! Dump Trump is only going to accelerate.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
I’ve been praying to my god that IMPOTUS has become infected with the Covid19, and becomes so enraged that he has a fatal aneurysm. Irony. Of course if he had been infected, Mike pence would also have the virus via semen transmission. If he were to succumb to the disease we would get a complete new reload. Think of the possibilities! We would no longer be forced to present Uncle Joe as a viable candidate, and could go with someone up to the task of the office. I’m thinking Michael Jordan. He’s a hot commodity right now, and has bipartisan support as being the best ever.
Hoping and praying ?

justthefacts

Reaction score
It's so weird that Trump himself is participating in this latest "Dump Trump." Perhaps he's gone over to the Deep State.

Spoofin

Reaction score
For a couple years now I have been hoping the Democrats will put someone against Trump in 2020 that can actually win. However, after spending some time on the OTB I am now hoping they don't.

WilliamsArenaGuy

The anti-Loon
Reaction score
For a couple years now I have been hoping the Democrats will put someone against Trump in 2020 that can actually win. However, after spending some time on the OTB I am now hoping they don't.
Because you find the hardcore Republican posters here somehow better?? Wow. This board is a cesspool all around when it comes to politics, and if you are blaming that on one side, then you are seeing what you want to see.

Spoofin

Reaction score
Because you find the hardcore Republican posters here somehow better?? Wow. This board is a cesspool all around when it comes to politics, and if you are blaming that on one side, then you are seeing what you want to see.
Nah - I find the extreme on both ends annoying. I find the extreme democrats on this board far more hypocritical tho.

WilliamsArenaGuy

The anti-Loon
Reaction score
Nah - I find the extreme on both ends annoying. I find the extreme democrats on this board far more hypocritical tho.
Well, then we disagree. I find the extremes hypocritical both ways. That is the problem with any discussion and with this country overall. Every situation is either/or. You're with my side or against it. You're brilliant or you're terrible. It supports my beliefs or it's fake news.

I see one poster here is can consistently spout out thoughtful and reasonable posts: GophersinIowa. That's pretty much it. Everyone else pretty takes a side and sticks to it even when it defies reason or throws around their cute nicknames and insults. the amount of time that 4-5 posters have to spend on here just to read and type everything they do boggles my mind. For me to keep up would be a full-time job. And it is insanity. Not one of them is ever going to change or convince the others of anything. Ever. That much has been clear for years. Yet they keep at it and call it a "discussion."

If anyone here reads Twins Daily, they have an off-topic area. They have just completely shut off political discussions. What's funny is the level of animosity and idiocy wasn't even .001% of what it is here. They still did it. The posters accepted it. And it really hasn't affected the site in any way. I'd love to see that here.

What sucks is when you have posted here for two decades. You start to get to "know" people and respect them and look forward tot heir posts. But then because of this board you learn things and see sides of them you wish you didn't see because your whole perception changes. Eventually, you don't even want to see them or have a hard time taking them seriously of the FB or BB board. At some point, you'll just leave altogether.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Well, then we disagree. I find the extremes hypocritical both ways. That is the problem with any discussion and with this country overall. Every situation is either/or. You're with my side or against it. You're brilliant or you're terrible. It supports my beliefs or it's fake news.

I see one poster here is can consistently spout out thoughtful and reasonable posts: GophersinIowa. That's pretty much it. Everyone else pretty takes a side and sticks to it even when it defies reason or throws around their cute nicknames and insults. the amount of time that 4-5 posters have to spend on here just to read and type everything they do boggles my mind. For me to keep up would be a full-time job. And it is insanity. Not one of them is ever going to change or convince the others of anything. Ever. That much has been clear for years. Yet they keep at it and call it a "discussion."

If anyone here reads Twins Daily, they have an off-topic area. They have just completely shut off political discussions. What's funny is the level of animosity and idiocy wasn't even .001% of what it is here. They still did it. The posters accepted it. And it really hasn't affected the site in any way. I'd love to see that here.

What sucks is when you have posted here for two decades. You start to get to "know" people and respect them and look forward tot heir posts. But then because of this board you learn things and see sides of them you wish you didn't see because your whole perception changes. Eventually, you don't even want to see them or have a hard time taking them seriously of the FB or BB board. At some point, you'll just leave altogether.
see you later

Spoofin

Reaction score

All really good points - and you know what, you are right. Until COVID-19 I never once posted on the OTB because I hate political debates. Yet, now I'm posting on the OTB involved in political debates. Ick. I can put a stop to that, tho. Thanks for the reality check.

WilliamsArenaGuy

The anti-Loon
Reaction score
All really good points - and you know what, you are right. Until COVID-19 I never once posted on the OTB because I hate political debates. Yet, now I'm posting on the OTB involved in political debates. Ick. I can put a stop to that, tho. Thanks for the reality check.
Likewise, I can obviously ignore it. I skim it. But posting in it is never a good idea. Unfortunately I like some of the other threads on here and that leads me to checking on these political ones too. I’m working on it.

bigtenchamps1899

credulous skeptic
Reaction score
anyone think about some of the unforeseen effects of making mask wearing normal might do to a society?

i like the idea of being anonymous irl, but some people do not.

LesBolstad

Reaction score
From May 6 CDC.GOV: (masks/handwashing don't do much of anything to stop virus transmission).
The beauty of this study is that is was done in February, so likely not subject to government/scientist "tampering"

1589287428638.png

justthefacts

Reaction score
From May 6 CDC.GOV: (masks/handwashing don't do much of anything to stop virus transmission).
The beauty of this study is that is was done in February, so likely not subject to government/scientist "tampering"

View attachment 7969
I like how you say that because it was published in February it wasn't subject to "government/scientist tampering"

• The CDC published it on their website
  • The people who conducted it were scientists
  • The main complaint about the WHO is everything it did in December and January.

It's an interesting study. It also concludes that hand-washing doesn't work either, nor does cleaning surfaces. But those exact same doctors published a new study.

Social distancing works. School closures work. Reopening schools causes transmission to resurge.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score

View attachment 7969
Most believe influenza is not airborne, while it is still unsure if SARS-CoV-2 is airborne.

The worst case thing for someone that wears a mask while at places like the grocery store is that they wore it for no reason because it doesn't do anything. The opposite (not wearing one but it ends up helping some) is worse IMO.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
I like how you say that because it was published in February it wasn't subject to "government/scientist tampering"

• The CDC published it on their website
  • The people who conducted it were scientists
  • The main complaint about the WHO is everything it did in December and January.

It's an interesting study. It also concludes that hand-washing doesn't work either, nor does cleaning surfaces. But those exact same doctors published a new study.

Social distancing works. School closures work. Reopening schools causes transmission to resurge.

osterholm, just no facts. Why did you write dishonestly and then run away when proven a liar?

osterholm said cloth masks are "ineffective" and N95 are somewhat effective.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
osterholm, just no facts. Why did you write dishonestly and then run away when proven a liar?

osterholm said cloth masks are "ineffective" and N95 are somewhat effective.
Maybe so, but cloth masks are more stylish and that has to count for something.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
Maybe so, but cloth masks are more stylish and that has to count for something.
The cloth masks we just got in the mail from our sister in law are seemingly made from the same material as Dorothy's jumper from The Wizard of Oz. Glad I'm secure with my masculinity.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Likewise, I can obviously ignore it. I skim it. But posting in it is never a good idea. Unfortunately I like some of the other threads on here and that leads me to checking on these political ones too. I’m working on it.
I asked @GopherHole Staff to consider making a separate politics board, so that posts about professional sports, TV shows, music, etc. wouldn't get bogged down in the political sewage threads. At one point they said they would consider it, but at the end of the day it has not been done.

If enough people here demanded it and sent them PM's asking for it, I think they would reconsider.

golf

Reaction score

Thanks for the sermon. Rather than just ignoring the thread, you took the time to inform some posters they are falling short. Certainly impressive as well that you can see both sides, so thanks for mentioning that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom