Do you wear a mask?

When you go out to places like the grocery store, do you wear a mask?

• Yes, I think it helps slow the spread

Votes: 46 43.4%
  • Yes, I'm not sure how much it helps but it's no big deal to wear one

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Yes, but only because I'm required to

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • No, I don't think it helps

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • No, It's my decision/I'm healthy so not at risk

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • No, They're uncomfortable/can't use them due to a health condition

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • No, it makes us look weak/I'm not going to live in fear

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other, post below

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Total voters

justthefacts

Reaction score
Absolutely doesn't pass the smell test (no pun intended) at all. He knew the virus in March. My guess it's a cover his ass motive by now recommending masks. He knows their benefit is negligible at best; and per the video may cause more harm than good.
No, in early March the discussion was about surgical and N95 masks, and the advice was based on the shortage and the need to reserve them for the medical community. Since then the discussion has shifted to cloth masks, which are readily available. Additionally, the outbreak was less widespread in early March. Only a couple of people had died.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
This is true of a huge number of diseases and illnesses. Everything from
permanent cancer treatment side effects to residuals of benign brain tumor surgery to heart attacks to infectious diseases. Things as innocuous as long term Motrin use, dust inhalation, sun exposure, can cause issues and the list goes on. The inflammation IS severe and some people will have longer term issues after being in the ICU. Most of those people already had a number of other problems. We all get old and die eventually. Most of us start feeling “it” in our 40s.
Well, sure, but the extent of damage matters. If a 50 year old recovers but is diminished and lives another 20 years, that's one thing. If a person under those circumstances lives another 2 or 3 years, that is something different. I don't think there's enough evidence yet to determine how damaging this could be to some people who survive but I think the potential is another strong reason to try to avoid catching it and/or infecting others.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Just in general, I'm trying to understand what it is that people are afraid of TODAY. I mean, we all have some control over our immediate environment and over what WE do ourselves. I have hand sanitizer, I have masks if I need them, I make a good effort to steer clear of people I encounter, try not to touch things that others have touched (and if I do, immediately use hand sanitizer).

Using those basic practices, I can't think of a single thing that I wouldn't feel comfortable doing right now. Not a thing. So I'm trying to honestly understand what it is some people are afraid of?
Fair questions and you seem to be taking the right precautions. But, in my case, I would rephrase your words to "there's not a single thing I CAN DO RIGHT NOW that I would feel uncomfortable doing with some precautions." I CAN'T go to an indoor restaurant or bar right now and I wouldn't feel comfortable if I could. I CAN'T go to a crowded concert or festival right now and I wouldn't feel comfortable if I could.

When I go into stores, I wear a mask and gloves (at least one). That's fine but those trips are of short duration. I wouldn't want to sit in a bar or stand/sit in a field for two hours wearing a mask.

BarnBurner

Reaction score

The way science works is that you continually observe and learn new information and revise your conclusions. I know that it's hard to take in information that contradicts your earlier beliefs, but you should try it some time.

Here's Fauci now:

The University of Minnesota commentary above says it's not proven whether cloth masks help stop the spread. In general scientists are mixed: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/04/scientists-disagree-over-face-masks-effect-on-covid-19 But what does it hurt? Koreans and Japanese wear masks, and their countries are much denser than ours, yet have much less severe outbreaks.

As for the idiotic question, "if masks work, why quarantine" the idea is that masks HELP, they're not perfect. Social distancing HELPS. Washing your hands HELPS. You add them together and it helps even more. This question is so silly and infantile that it's clear that it's not being asked in good faith. A 9 year old who sits and thinks about it for 2 minutes can figure this out. The history of the discussion for 2 months has been that there's a group of people who thinks that if they just deny hard enough, the virus will not be a problem, and then that group getting continually proven wrong about its severity.
Justnofacts.
At Issue. Osterholm says cloth masks are ineffective.
Osterholm.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Costco said I had to wear a mask, so I happily complied. They are a private, capitalism, company.

Therefore, capitalism said I had to wear a mask, so I did.

Veritas

Banned
Reaction score

The way science works is that you continually observe and learn new information and revise your conclusions. I know that it's hard to take in information that contradicts your earlier beliefs, but you should try it some time.

Here's Fauci now:

The University of Minnesota commentary above says it's not proven whether cloth masks help stop the spread. In general scientists are mixed: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/04/scientists-disagree-over-face-masks-effect-on-covid-19 But what does it hurt? Koreans and Japanese wear masks, and their countries are much denser than ours, yet have much less severe outbreaks.

As for the idiotic question, "if masks work, why quarantine" the idea is that masks HELP, they're not perfect. Social distancing HELPS. Washing your hands HELPS. You add them together and it helps even more. This question is so silly and infantile that it's clear that it's not being asked in good faith. A 9 year old who sits and thinks about it for 2 minutes can figure this out. The history of the discussion for 2 months has been that there's a group of people who thinks that if they just deny hard enough, the virus will not be a problem, and then that group getting continually proven wrong about its severity.
Depends on what your goals are, doesn't it? You want Biden to win the election, no matter what, so you will try to justify anything to keep the economy shut down even though many of those actions have NOT been shown to make any difference at all. For example, wearing a mask in Cook County, keeping stores closed everywhere, keeping the public scared of what will not kill them, etc.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
And Fox News hosts can't use Amazon apparently, being owned by Libs and what not. It's tough.
I totally understand wanting to toast some food TODAY and not have to wait even a couple days for Prime delivery. But c'mon, let's be team players and not crybabies here. Grow up a bit and play by the rules like we all learned in Kindergarten.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
Do you mind if I ask what it is you're afraid of at this time? I'm not picking on you, I'm only asking you because you mentioned considering yourself and everyone at "significant risk".

I guess more specifically, what is it that today you would do but you won't do because you feel you are at risk? For example, "I would go to the grocery store but I'm not going to because I feel there's too much risk". Or maybe it's going to Best Buy or some retail store like that?

Just in general, I'm trying to understand what it is that people are afraid of TODAY. I mean, we all have some control over our immediate environment and over what WE do ourselves. I have hand sanitizer, I have masks if I need them, I make a good effort to steer clear of people I encounter, try not to touch things that others have touched (and if I do, immediately use hand sanitizer).

Using those basic practices, I can't think of a single thing that I wouldn't feel comfortable doing right now. Not a thing. So I'm trying to honestly understand what it is some people are afraid of?
I would not eat in an indoor dining room. I wouldn't attend a crowded sporting event or a concert/festival. Wouldn't go to a crowded beach or park. The reward/risk ratios in those situations aren't favorable or wise.

We did go over to the neighbor's driveway Tuesday for margaritas, but we didn't stick around for long. People weren't observing good distancing, and kids were hugging each other and jumping on the trampoline. Reducing our exposure in that situation made more sense than having a second drink. A person just has to exercise some judgment and wisdom.

Last edited:

justthefacts

Reaction score
Justnofacts.
At Issue. Osterholm says cloth masks are ineffective.
Osterholm.
A) Just to be clear, then, you consider Osterholm to be the final word?

B) He said they're not very effective. He did not say people shouldn't wear them or that they're not better than nothing.

justthefacts

Reaction score
I would not eat in an indoor dining room. I wouldn't attend a crowded sporting event or a concert/festival. Wouldn't go to a crowded beach or park. The reward/risk ratios in those situations aren't favorable or wise.

We did go over to the neighbor's driveway Tuesday for margaritas, but we didn't stick around for long. People weren't observing good distancing, and kids were hugging each other and jumping on the trampoline. Reducing our exposure in that situation made more sense than having a second drink. A person just has to exercise some judgement and wisdom.
Yep:

BarnBurner

Reaction score
A) Just to be clear, then, you consider Osterholm to be the final word?

B) He said they're not very effective. He did not say people shouldn't wear them or that they're not better than nothing.
A. No. You and your ilk have said that, not me.
B. He said the word “ineffective “. Your level of dishonesty is something to behold.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Yep:

You should really, really, Really think about getting information from more than just NY Times and WaPo. Holy shit.

But then again, you're not about looking for information, you've always been about looking for Affirmation. And without a doubt, if you keep looking there, you'll keep finding what you're looking for.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
Yep:

This whole study can be thrown out the window with one paragraph from your story:

Because the coronavirus had not yet spread widely beyond Wuhan, public health officials were able to trace the recent contacts of Families B and C and determine that the restaurant was the only likely place where they would have crossed paths with the virus.

Cruze

Reaction score
You should really, really, Really think about getting information from more than just NY Times and WaPo. Holy shit.

But then again, you're not about looking for information, you've always been about looking for Affirmation. And without a doubt, if you keep looking there, you'll keep finding what you're looking for.
People who ignore the NY Times and WaPo because of their right wing mindset doom themselves to ignorance and simplemindedness. This perfectly describes the Trumpster and anyone who voted for him. If anyone votes for Trump twice they will also be described as not very smart, self-destructive, and a crummy human being to boot.

Last edited:

justthefacts

Reaction score

Here's the same study referenced in Forbes:

Here's the actual study:

You'll have to find some other reason to reject information that challenges your priors now.

justthefacts

Reaction score
This whole study can be thrown out the window with one paragraph from your story:

Because the coronavirus had not yet spread widely beyond Wuhan, public health officials were able to trace the recent contacts of Families B and C and determine that the restaurant was the only likely place where they would have crossed paths with the virus.
What? That makes no sense at all. All its saying is that they had the resources to do full contact tracing.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
What? That makes no sense at all. All its saying is that they had the resources to do full contact tracing.
Covid has been proven to be in the US and Europe as early as January. It's possible it could have been even earlier.

The basis of this study relies on the virus not being widespread outside of Wuhan, which is clear in my quote. This was before China even shut down. They could have picked it up anywhere outside of the restaurant.

justthefacts

Reaction score
Covid has been proven to be in the US and Europe as early as January. It's possible it could have been even earlier.

The basis of this study relies on the virus not being widespread outside of Wuhan, which is clear in my quote. This was before China even shut down. They could have picked it up anywhere outside of the restaurant.
But it wasn't widespread. You should read the study. They didn't just assume that it couldn't have come from anywhere else, they did detailed analysis.

Are people really saying that you're not more likely to catch the virus if in your in an enclosed area with someone who is sick for an hour?

The CDC did a study of H1N1 and found that food service workers and food prep and serving workers were the 2nd and 3rd most likely to catch that virus. Because it makes sense.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
But it wasn't widespread. You should read the study. They didn't just assume that it couldn't have come from anywhere else, they did detailed analysis.

Are people really saying that you're not more likely to catch the virus if in your in an enclosed area with someone who is sick for an hour?

The CDC did a study of H1N1 and found that food service workers and food prep and serving workers were the 2nd and 3rd most likely to catch that virus. Because it makes sense.

So you think a highly contagious virus, which started in Wuhan in as early as November, wasn't widespread throughout the rest of the most populated country in the world 2.5 months later? It just jumped from Wuhan to Europe to the US, without becoming widespread in China?

On top of that, China covered up this disease and has misreported data. Yet this study relies on the Chinese data to be accurate.

And yet none of the workers in this study allegedly caught the virus. Or they were just asymptomatic and didn't test positive at the time they were tested?

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Please tell us all how on God's green earth you can possibly make this assertion? There is no possible way you can begin to know when and where this virus was. Stop being an idiot.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Please tell us all how on God's green earth you can possibly make this assertion? There is no possible way you can begin to know when and where this virus was. Stop being an idiot.
Justnofacts is dishonest to the core.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
What I don't get is the precaution shaming. Why are people being peer pressured to go out unmasked and essentially being called pussies for taking precautions? For the life of me, I'm not getting the agenda here.

If there were ever a time to go belt and suspenders with precautions, it's now.

Spoofin

Reaction score
What I don't get is the precaution shaming. Why are people being peer pressured to go out unmasked and essentially being called pussies for taking precautions? For the life of me, I'm not getting the agenda here.

Where is this happening? Did I miss something? In abundance or are we talking some wacko outlier? Personally, I am not afraid of getting COVID at all, but I still practice social distancing and wear masks when I do go out because I know that is important to some others. I don’t know that I have ever seen the shaming you refer to.

GoodasGold

Reaction score

I’m gonna try going out unmasked and unpantsed.

scools12

Reaction score

Exactly where is this peer pressure to go out unmasked taking place?

Last edited:

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Depends on what your goals are, doesn't it? You want Biden to win the election, no matter what, so you will try to justify anything to keep the economy shut down even though many of those actions have NOT been shown to make any difference at all. For example, wearing a mask in Cook County, keeping stores closed everywhere, keeping the public scared of what will not kill them, etc.
Wouldn't encouraging people to wear masks and practice social distancing potentially help get businesses open sooner?

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Where is this happening? Did I miss something? In abundance or are we talking some wacko outlier? Personally, I am not afraid of getting COVID at all, but I still practice social distancing and wear masks when I do go out because I know that is important to some others. I don’t know that I have ever seen the shaming you refer to.
I've heard of a few instances of people being made fun of or called names while wearing a mask but I agree it's probably not that common. There are people on social media encouraging others to not wear a mask.

A family friend's daughter works at Menards and shortly after they required customers to wear a mask to shop there, some guy got so upset that he threatened her. They now have to have security at the front door because a few wackos were getting way too aggressive because they couldn't do a very simple thing.

scools12

Reaction score
I've heard of a few instances of people being made fun of or called names while wearing a mask but I agree it's probably not that common. There are people on social media encouraging others to not wear a mask.

A family friend's daughter works at Menards and shortly after they required customers to wear a mask to shop there, some guy got so upset that he threatened her. They now have to have security at the front door because a few wackos were getting way too aggressive because they couldn't do a very simple thing.
I don’t doubt that some of this is happening.

However, some wacko upset about wearing a mask or being encouraged not to wear a mask on social media is quite different than being pressured to not wear one.

justthefacts

Reaction score
So you think a highly contagious virus, which started in Wuhan in as early as November, wasn't widespread throughout the rest of the most populated country in the world 2.5 months later? It just jumped from Wuhan to Europe to the US, without becoming widespread in China?

On top of that, China covered up this disease and has misreported data. Yet this study relies on the Chinese data to be accurate.

And yet none of the workers in this study allegedly caught the virus. Or they were just asymptomatic and didn't test positive at the time they were tested?
Given that even the high estimates have only 25% of New Yorkers having had the disease now 6 months later, I think it's a pretty safe bet.

I thought the USIC had disavowed knowledge of the virus in early November?

Top Bottom