Do you wear a mask?

When you go out to places like the grocery store, do you wear a mask?

• Yes, I think it helps slow the spread

Votes: 50 43.9%
  • Yes, I'm not sure how much it helps but it's no big deal to wear one

Votes: 26 22.8%
  • Yes, but only because I'm required to

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • No, I don't think it helps

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • No, It's my decision/I'm healthy so not at risk

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • No, They're uncomfortable/can't use them due to a health condition

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • No, it makes us look weak/I'm not going to live in fear

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Other, post below

Votes: 6 5.3%

• Total voters

gopher7

Reaction score
Here are the results of a study Duke University did on how effective different types of masks are. Many masks performed pretty well, however, this quote explains why many were against the rush to mask up.

We noticed that speaking through some masks (particularly the neck fleece) seemed to disperse the largest droplets into a multitude of smaller droplets (see Supplementary Fig. S5), which explains the apparent increase in droplet count relative to no mask in that case. Considering that smaller particles are airborne longer than large droplets (larger droplets sink faster), the use of such a mask might be counterproductive.

RahSkiUMah

Reaction score
Here are the results of a study Duke University did on how effective different types of masks are. Many masks performed pretty well, however, this quote explains why many were against the rush to mask up.

So basically everything except fleece and bandana provided some benefit. Good to know my inherent bias on this particular issue was accurate. Every time I see someone with a neck fleece or bandana I think, try a little harder, ha!

But, based on this evidence do you think anyone is actually justified in being “against the rush to mask up”?

Ope3

Reaction score
I ordered my Pearl Jam 3mask bundle. Can't wait!

gopher7

Reaction score
So basically everything except fleece and bandana provided some benefit. Good to know my inherent bias on this particular issue was accurate. Every time I see someone with a neck fleece or bandana I think, try a little harder, ha!

But, based on this evidence do you think anyone is actually justified in being “against the rush to mask up”?
If you would have told a governor in June that we have scientific data that at least some masks have the potential to more harm than good, I think they would have at least taken a harder look before issuing sweeping mandates.
We made a scientific decision when we did not have any real scientific data to back it up, so in a sense we lucked out that only a couple types of masks show potential to make the spread worse.

RahSkiUMah

Reaction score
If you would have told a governor in June that we have scientific data that at least some masks have the potential to more harm than good, I think they would have at least taken a harder look before issuing sweeping mandates.
We made a scientific decision when we did not have any real scientific data to back it up, so in a sense we lucked out that only a couple types of masks show potential to make the spread worse.
We don't actually have scientific data that at least some masks have the potential to do more harm than good, that's a bad interpretation of the data (to generate clicks obviously). Isn't it funny how if you look at the data, many masks performed surprisingly well but that isn't really the headlines!

There was other studies before this most recent one (and before June) showing effectiveness of various mask types. Here is a solid review from April summarizing what we knew scientifically: http://files.fast.ai/papers/masks_lit_review.pdf

Here's why I say it's being pretty misrepresented that there are masks that "make things worse". 11/14 masks showed greater than 70% droplet reduction, the fleece/neck gaiter may have slightly increased droplet count (non-significant difference from no mask). The authors state:
  • "We noticed that speaking through some masks (particularly the neck fleece) seemed to disperse the largest droplets into a multitude of smaller droplets (see Supplementary Fig. S5), which explains the apparent increase in droplet count relative to no mask in that case. Considering that smaller particles are airborne longer than large droplets (larger droplets sink faster), the use of such a mask might be counterproductive."
The recommendation from the CDC has been a cloth mask, not a spandex gaiter or bandana. Honestly the cotton masks outperformed my expectations.

1597338087954.png

Reference: https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/08/07/sciadv.abd3083.full

diehard

Reaction score
Masks with valves getting banned. I explained all this to you months ago.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
If Joe B is president, your choice will be mask or a fine, I guess. Our re-imagined police will be busier than heck handing out fines to the real criminals, unmasked citizens, while they release the jailed criminals to the public.

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Dear lord

Lol.....

Just think how they'd react if they had to ration, as happened in WWII -

Rationing Duration
TiresJanuary 1942 to December 1945
CarsFebruary 1942 to October 1945
BicyclesJuly 1942 to September 1945
GasolineMay 1942 to August 1945
Fuel Oil & KeroseneOctober 1942 to August 1945
Solid FuelsSeptember 1943 to August 1945
StovesDecember 1942 to August 1945
Rubber FootwearOctober 1942 to September 1945
ShoesFebruary 1943 to October 1945
SugarMay 1942 to 1947
CoffeeNovember 1942 to July 1943
Processed FoodsMarch 1943 to August 1945
Meats, canned fishMarch 1943 to November 1945
Cheese, canned milk, fatsMarch 1943 to November 1945
TypewritersMarch 1942 to April 1944
Good Lord, they would have wanted to surrender for a cup of joe and we'd all be eating strudel with Sgt. Schultz's relatives....

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Hook, Line and Sinker - all fabricated by a real life crazy person (not masquerading as one on an anonymous idiot board)

On August 11, 2020, McAfee fabricated a hoax[104] that he was arrested in Norway during the COVID-19 pandemic after refusing to replace a lace thong with a more effective face mask. McAfee would later post a picture of himself to Twitter with a black eye, claiming that it occurred during this arrest.[105] However, the photo of the alleged arrest shows an officer with the German word for "police" on their uniform, so it could not have been an arrest in Norway. The Augsburg Police later confirmed McAfee unsuccessfully attempted to enter Germany on that day, but wasn't arrested.[106]

He craves attention, any type, almost as much as many on this board do....

If you want to actually find out more about your "legend" then check out this doc belo on him which details allegations of drug manufacturing/distribution, rape and murder. No doubt he's a genius, but he's also bat shit crazy - unfettered years of drug use rot a person's brain. Feel free to fire up the Jiffy Pop and have the fam join you as he is an amazing role model

Gringo: The Dangerous Life of John McAfee is a Showtime Networks documentary about the portion of McAfee's life spent in Belize. It began airing in September 2016.[107] The documentary covers allegations of both the rape of McAfee's former business partner, Allison Adonizio, and the murders of Belizean David Middleton and American expat Gregory Faull.[108][109] In an interview with Bloomberg's Pimm Fox and Kathleen Hayes on September 8, 2016, McAfee claimed that these incidents were fabricated, saying that "Belize is a third-world banana republic and you can go down there and make any story you want if you pay your interviewees, which Showtime did."[110][111]

LesBolstad

Reaction score
Hook, Line and Sinker - all fabricated by a real life crazy person (not masquerading as one on an anonymous idiot board)

On August 11, 2020, McAfee fabricated a hoax[104] that he was arrested in Norway during the COVID-19 pandemic after refusing to replace a lace thong with a more effective face mask. McAfee would later post a picture of himself to Twitter with a black eye, claiming that it occurred during this arrest.[105] However, the photo of the alleged arrest shows an officer with the German word for "police" on their uniform, so it could not have been an arrest in Norway. The Augsburg Police later confirmed McAfee unsuccessfully attempted to enter Germany on that day, but wasn't arrested.[106]

He craves attention, any type, almost as much as many on this board do....

If you want to actually find out more about your "legend" then check out this doc belo on him which details allegations of drug manufacturing/distribution, rape and murder. No doubt he's a genius, but he's also bat shit crazy - unfettered years of drug use rot a person's brain. Feel free to fire up the Jiffy Pop and have the fam join you as he is an amazing role model

Gringo: The Dangerous Life of John McAfee is a Showtime Networks documentary about the portion of McAfee's life spent in Belize. It began airing in September 2016.[107] The documentary covers allegations of both the rape of McAfee's former business partner, Allison Adonizio, and the murders of Belizean David Middleton and American expat Gregory Faull.[108][109] In an interview with Bloomberg's Pimm Fox and Kathleen Hayes on September 8, 2016, McAfee claimed that these incidents were fabricated, saying that "Belize is a third-world banana republic and you can go down there and make any story you want if you pay your interviewees, which Showtime did."[110][111]
Haha, that was posted 5 months ago. WTF, taking a page out of the jtf pagebook?
What a douche. #LiberalismIsAMentalDisorder

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Haha, that was posted 5 months ago. WTF, taking a page out of the jtf pagebook?
What a douche. #LiberalismIsAMentalDisorder
When you lie, you insult my intelligence Tess....and you're shitty at it just like Dumbo Donald.

It clearly says in your post that it was posted on August 18, in the year of 2020. I've already bookmarked it and emailed it to me as proof. So instead of saying you were duped, you try and put it off on me you no accountability bottom feeder.

Also this incident just happened and the entry of correction in Wikipedia debunking your fraudulent "legend" is dated August 11 which doesn't match to your five month timeline either - that's how you double verify something.

I'd have you go fetch the shine box but CRG is already busy with that task, so go in the shallow end with your floaties before you embarrass yourself (not the town in MN) anymore.

Don't fret once the election is over I will leave you and your uniformed brethren alone, as I will be otherwise occupied.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
I hadn’t thought of that pedophile thing, but it’s a compelling argument! Also what about if you’re sick and throw up while wearing a mask? Not Good! I now agree we need to reassess these mask mandates.

Top Bottom