Do you wear a mask?

When you go out to places like the grocery store, do you wear a mask?

• Yes, I think it helps slow the spread

Votes: 48 42.9%
  • Yes, I'm not sure how much it helps but it's no big deal to wear one

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • Yes, but only because I'm required to

Votes: 11 9.8%
  • No, I don't think it helps

Votes: 11 9.8%
  • No, It's my decision/I'm healthy so not at risk

Votes: 12 10.7%
  • No, They're uncomfortable/can't use them due to a health condition

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • No, it makes us look weak/I'm not going to live in fear

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Other, post below

Votes: 6 5.4%

• Total voters

cjbfbp

Reaction score
So you don't have data to back up your claims? As expected. Legitimate data will absolutely change my mind. And not the handful of extreme cases here and there that the media loves to run with.
First of all, you can take a long walk off a short pier.

I didn't say I have seen no data. I'm just not going to waste my time compiling it for you. My screen name is "cjbfbp" not "GopherWeatherGuy's Research Assistant." You do this frequently which indicates real delusions of grandeur on your part. Perhaps you should understand that satisfying your desires isn't #1 on anyone's list.

If you really gave a shit about this, you would have been reading these reports from physicians and nurses about difficulties and lingering effects experienced by recovering coronavirus patients. They're certainly out there. Even some people who aren't hospitalized can have a very rough go of it. Recently, my spouse was reading the facebook page of an infected couple she knows. They're recovering at home but they said they feel like they want to die throughout the day and are warning people to do whatever they can to avoid catching this. Your goal is to trivialize this disease and I find that unconscionable.

bga1

Reaction score
This might not be a popular opinion, but I would gladly trade our system even with its warts (see our ability to contain virus) for the systems in Germany and throughout Europe.

The more localized the government, the freer the people. Free societies always have more risks.

Note - I'm a mask wearer. I think the local authorities should have been stricter/earlier.
I agree with the first part. I totally disagree with your last sentence. The authorities failed miserably in identifying the actual problem. The actual problem was always going to be isolating old people. The median age of death in this state remains at 83 years old. We needed to firewall the nursing homes. Mask the attendants? Sure. Those things were obvious from the data incoming from China.

For the rest of us, we should have lived live normally. Mask up if you want, move about freely, calculate your own risks. Keep social distance and wash your hands. At the end of the day starting earlier with strict rules would have only prolonged the economic damage and created obedience fatigue. This virus was going to run through the population no matter what. Identify the targets and let the rest of the population be free. Sweden is looking smarter by the day, despite their early errors.

bga1

Reaction score

I didn't say I have seen no data. I'm just not going to waste my time compiling it for you. My screen name is "cjbfbp" not "GopherWeatherGuy's Research Assistant." You do this frequently which indicates real delusions of grandeur on your part. Perhaps you should understand that satisfying your desires isn't #1 on anyone's list.

If you really gave a shit about this, you would have been reading these reports from physicians and nurses about difficulties and lingering effects experienced by recovering coronavirus patients. They're certainly out there. Even some people who aren't hospitalized can have a very rough go of it. Recently, my spouse was reading the facebook page of an infected couple she knows. They're recovering at home but they said they feel like they want to die throughout the day and are warning people to do whatever they can to avoid catching this. Your goal is to trivialize this disease and I find that unconscionable.
Well you just wasted a lot of time and still offered no data. :)

bga1

Reaction score
Its a joke that someone can wear a bandanna as a mask and its considered protection from a "very contagious", and "deadly" virus

Its a joke that someone can wear a cloth mask thats meant for protection from bodily fluid during surgery or a dental visit and its considered protection from a "very contagious", and "deadly" virus

Its a joke that someone can wear a mask thats not covering their nose and is meant for protection from a "very contagious", and "deadly" virus

Its a joke that someone can wear a cloth mask thats not covering their nose and is meant for protection from a "very contagious", and "deadly" virus

Its a joke that someone can wear a cloth mask walking in a restaurant that is meant for protection from a "very contagious", and "deadly" virus, but can take it off when its time to eat or drink

Its a joke that someone can wear a cloth mask walking in a fitness center that is meant for protection from a "very contagious", and "deadly" virus, but can take it off when its time to hop on the treadmill.

Why do people not wearing a mask get shamed but someone wearing a bandanna or doesnt cover their nose doesnt? Seems more like a social construct rather than worrying about a virus.

THIS IS BLACK AND WHITE. Its either a super deadly virus or it isnt. No gray area. I question everyone on this board that are so pro mask and pro shutdown. My guess your life hasnt been affected more than a minor convenience. But true to form, you just worry about how your life has changed and not others.
I think most of the maskers and shutdown folks are lazy virtue signalers and they like sitting home on their fannies.

Watch mask wearers - they constantly touch their faces and adjust their masks. Likely doing more damage than good.

WhoFellDownTheGopherHole?

Reaction score
Seems that he realized that he made a mistake and is admitting he was wrong. Takes a big man to do that. We admire those that correct their "mistakes" here - right?
Yes, it does take a big man to admit he was wrong - which, Donald Trump isn't, because I remember him saying it was possibly patriotic to wear one, but never at any point did i see him acknowledge ever having been wrong or having made any mistakes.

You don't get to assume an apology for him. Doesn't work that way, bud. ;)

Omega015

Reaction score
This might not be a popular opinion, but I would gladly trade our system even with its warts (see our ability to contain virus) for the systems in Germany and throughout Europe.

The more localized the government, the freer the people. Free societies always have more risks.

Note - I'm a mask wearer. I think the local authorities should have been stricter/earlier.
People keep saying this... Why are so many people's version of freedom to consciously make things worse than they have to be? What is free about not being able to travel the world anymore? What is free about having to live with a higher rate of this virus than the rest of the world? What is free about not being able to afford healthcare?

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
People keep saying this... Why are so many people's version of freedom to consciously make things worse than they have to be? What is free about not being able to travel the world anymore? What is free about having to live with a higher rate of this virus than the rest of the world?
What are you talking about? You get that there exists a time other than during Covid right? Like you're not a goldfish.

Blizzard

Reaction score
Its a joke that someone can wear a bandanna as a mask and its considered protection from a "very contagious", and "deadly" virus

Its a joke that someone can wear a cloth mask thats meant for protection from bodily fluid during surgery or a dental visit and its considered protection from a "very contagious", and "deadly" virus

Its a joke that someone can wear a mask thats not covering their nose and is meant for protection from a "very contagious", and "deadly" virus

Its a joke that someone can wear a cloth mask thats not covering their nose and is meant for protection from a "very contagious", and "deadly" virus

Its a joke that someone can wear a cloth mask walking in a restaurant that is meant for protection from a "very contagious", and "deadly" virus, but can take it off when its time to eat or drink

Its a joke that someone can wear a cloth mask walking in a fitness center that is meant for protection from a "very contagious", and "deadly" virus, but can take it off when its time to hop on the treadmill.

Why do people not wearing a mask get shamed but someone wearing a bandanna or doesnt cover their nose doesnt? Seems more like a social construct rather than worrying about a virus.

THIS IS BLACK AND WHITE. Its either a super deadly virus or it isnt. No gray area. I question everyone on this board that are so pro mask and pro shutdown. My guess your life hasnt been affected more than a minor convenience. But true to form, you just worry about how your life has changed and not others.
None of this is wrong but I'm ok with what Dr. Vincent Rajkumar from the Mayo Clinic has to say about mask wearing and he's for it. I think his overall point is that if you're exposed and wearing a mask he's of the opinion that a mask can prevent you from getting a larger dose of the contagion if you are exposed by someone. It seems to make sense.

Omega015

Reaction score
What are you talking about? You get that there exists a time other than during Covid right? Like you're not a goldfish.
Yes. We have *many* problems that are unique to this country. Gun violence and inability to pay for healthcare the two most obvious issues, but add COVID to things we can't figure out, and we choose to keep things the way they are in the name of freedom. All that "freedom" gets us is a worse life.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Yes. We have *many* problems that are unique to this country. Gun violence and inability to pay for healthcare the two most obvious issues, but add COVID to things we can't figure out, and we choose to keep things the way they are in the name of freedom. All that "freedom" gets us is a worse life.
Gun violence is easy to figure out. Hint - it isn't the gun that creates the voiolence.

cjbfbp

Reaction score

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Yes. We have *many* problems that are unique to this country. Gun violence and inability to pay for healthcare the two most obvious issues
If this is your true feelings, I can totally see how defunding the police should be at the top of your priority list for the upcoming election and for the country moving forward. Solid. You guys have it all figured out

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
A - I dont think I feel strongly about masks. Is pointing out fails in logic feeling strongly? Is providing evidence feeling strongly? Guess a lot of folks on here feel strongly about nearly everything.
B - If you say so. He may very well be. The fact remains he was THE MAN when this started, especially here in MN. GII said that epidemiologists and virologists were not discussing the size of the virus. I proved him wrong many times over - perhaps that makes me feel strongly?
Only in your mind did either of those things happen.

Spoofin

Reaction score
Yes, it does take a big man to admit he was wrong - which, Donald Trump isn't, because I remember him saying it was possibly patriotic to wear one, but never at any point did i see him acknowledge ever having been wrong or having made any mistakes.

You don't get to assume an apology for him. Doesn't work that way, bud. ;)
No worries as I am sure you are right. I didn't listen. My post was a floater for one specific poster - and sure enough, he couldn't resist. I appreciate your response none the less.

Spoofin

Reaction score
On a local Facebook thread today, people were screaming "tyranny" because the local Dollar General store was requiring people to wear masks.

One woman said she would only shop online and have everything delivered because she refuses to wear a mask to go into a store.

As I've said, I don't like wearing them. but I will if I have to.
Sounds like we would all benefit from that Woman staying home from now on. Let's not discourage it.

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
I know, it's the worst huh?

Also, it's really easy to figure out. Every HS sophomore understands how other countries ban guns and have medical insurance for everyone. These aren't esoteric concepts. So, it's not about figuring it out, it's about choosing not to. We choose to not give that much power to the Feds because we choose freedom.

It's a bargain that I think we're winning. It's certainly made my life better. I have health coverage, everyone in my family (mostly people who didn't graduate college but are willing to pick up a hammer) has health coverage. I get to pay for it without having to fund a giant government bureaucracy? Talk about a win/win.

As far as gun violence, this is a huge yawn. Why not just call it violence? We know why, you're what Nietszche would call a mirror, you don't have your own thoughts. Do you think Canada is a super violent country? You think there is a ton of gun violence in the hunting hot beds of Norther Minnesota? This gun violence of which you speak seems to be focused in certain areas with other issues. Maybe it isn't the legalization of the gun? Ahhhh. . . who cares, give more freedoms away. Freedom is so lame anyways.

As far as Covid, yeah, a totalitarian regime would have done a much better job. One of the first things Hitler did was essentially sanitize the factories from tuberculosis. He used the same Zyklon B. I'm not comparing people who want a federal response to COVID to Hitler, I'm just illustrating that there is a sacrifice for freedom/liberty.

I gladly choose to accept that trade-off even if it means we won't be able to respond to COVID as well. I would also gladly accept the sacrifice of freedom than your other regurgitated platitudes.

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
From what I've heard, which is by no means representational, businesses (especially retailers) welcome the mask ordinance. It gives them cover in dealing with non-compliant customers. It gets everyone on the same page and levels the playing field a bit.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
If what Tom Hauser reported on twitter is true you are exempt from wearing a mask while working out but must wear one while passing someone in a public hallway. I guess in theory you are social distanced while working out, but it seems like a place with lots of heavy breathing for extended periods of time would be the perfect spot for a mask. So Walz gets his way and implements the mandate, but leaves so many loopholes it seems like a very hallow mandate. More of a look at how cool I am I have implemented a mask mandate to join all my other cool friends (states).

howeda7

Reaction score
From what I've heard, which is by no means representational, businesses (especially retailers) welcome the mask ordinance. It gives them cover in dealing with non-compliant customers. It gets everyone on the same page and levels the playing field a bit.
Yep. Most of them were doing it anyway. Now they can say "It's not our fault, it's Hitler Walz!"

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
If what Tom Hauser reported on twitter is true you are exempt from wearing a mask while working out but must wear one while passing someone in a public hallway. I guess in theory you are social distanced while working out, but it seems like a place with lots of heavy breathing for extended periods of time would be the perfect spot for a mask. So Walz gets his way and implements the mandate, but leaves so many loopholes it seems like a very hallow mandate. More of a look at how cool I am I have implemented a mask mandate to join all my other cool friends (states).
Exactly. There's too many loopholes so people arent too inconvienced, even the pro mask wearers.

Its either a contagious, deadly virus, or its nothing. No middle ground here.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score

Why wouldn't I ask you to post data to back your claims, when I post data to back mine?

I have read reports, and the lingering effects occur in an extremely small number of patients who had severe cases. Those are a tiny fraction of the cases, and can happen with any disease.

If you really gave a shit, you would post some data that suggests this happens to a significant portion of the people who contract the disease. Not just some hearsay from a Facebook post.

I personally know 10 people who tested positive. Ages range from 20s-40s. One was asymptomatic, the rest just had flu like symptoms for a few days, some extremely minor.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
What was stopping the business from implementing their own mask mandate and enforcing it, as many were already doing?

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
It's all political. The Science was solid that universal masking, especially cloth masks, are ineffective in preventing the spread of viruses similar to this one.

The Science hasn't changed, but the politics have.

Last edited:

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
What was stopping the business from implementing their own mask mandate and enforcing it, as many were already doing?
Nothing but it does stop some 17 year old kid from being yelled at because they refused to serve someone not wearing a mask inside of a Starbucks. Now the store can simply say it's the states mandate and we are simply following it. Don't like it go yell at the governor or you representative. Plus many counties, cities, and other municipalities already have mask guidance, it just simply puts more weight behind it. My problem with the mandate is it doesn't go far enough. If this is the deadliest thing to hit the US since the civil war why are there so many loopholes. Either you wear a mask or you die is what they are saying except when you are riding an stationary bike at Anytime fitness then you are fine.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
from CNBC

As of Monday, more than half of U.S. states have statewide mask mandates in place to curb the spread of the coronavirus.
Masks are now required across 28 states, as well as in businesses, cities and counties without statewide orders.
Both the CDC and WHO recommend face coverings, in addition to other measures such as social distancing, to prevent spreading Covid-19.

28 states is over half. Red States and Blue States.

it's not like MN is the only state doing this.

I'm not a fan, but I'll deal with it. lot of things I don't like. I've lived in cities that had odd-even parking in the winter. that really sucks. but after a couple of tickets, I got with the program.

If you want total freedom, move to an Island where you are the only resident. Otherwise, as long as you share space with other human beings, you will have to compromise to some extent.

Top Bottom