Do you wear a mask?

When you go out to places like the grocery store, do you wear a mask?

• Yes, I think it helps slow the spread

Votes: 48 42.9%
  • Yes, I'm not sure how much it helps but it's no big deal to wear one

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • Yes, but only because I'm required to

Votes: 11 9.8%
  • No, I don't think it helps

Votes: 11 9.8%
  • No, It's my decision/I'm healthy so not at risk

Votes: 12 10.7%
  • No, They're uncomfortable/can't use them due to a health condition

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • No, it makes us look weak/I'm not going to live in fear

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Other, post below

Votes: 6 5.4%

• Total voters

LesBolstad

Reaction score
Interesting. Masks aren't really working. Cue our thread monitor goof GII in 3, 2, 1...

1595116057962.png

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Roving Mask Reporter checking in.

Was in Mankato today (Saturday). the city now has a mandatory mask order. Signs posted at every business.

Interesting - at Walmart, there are normally two entrances, but they had one entrance closed and all customers had to enter through the same entrance. they had an employee out front checking people for masks. No mask - no Walmart shopping experience.

(on a personal note, I pulled a true idiot move. Went to Walmart, purchased two items. Paid and went home. after arriving home (a 70-mile drive) I realized I only had one of the two items I purchased. I thought they were in the same bag- but the checkout lady put them in separate bags. So, I turned around and drove back to Mankato to get my other purchase. wound up spending almost 5 hours driving. and so it goes.)

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
The equivalent of about 7500 daily cases in the US. Thank you for continuing to show examples of places where masks might be working.
It's not about comparing it to the US.

They went from ~200 cases a day for two months, to now ~2,000 cases a day while being the most heavily masked country in the world. An increase by 10x.

The whole story here is that we'll get the disease under control if everyone wears a mask. So you think a country that has a 10x increase in cases, has it under control? They are one of the many examples that masks do not accomplish what people here want them to.

Meanwhile the US only has 2x more cases than we did in April, while running 7-8x more tests, and being 50/50 on masks.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score

They went from ~200 cases a day for two months, to now ~2,000 cases a day while being the most heavily masked country in the world. An increase by 10x.

The whole story here is that we'll get the disease under control if everyone wears a mask. So you think a country that has a 10x increase in cases, has it under control? They are one of the many examples that masks do not accomplish what people here want them to.

Meanwhile the US only has 2x more cases than we did in April, while running 7-8x more tests, and being 50/50 on masks.
Why would it not be about comparing the two? It’s all relative. Even with 10 times the cases, overall they are still doing extremely well.

I have no idea if masks have been a big factor in keeping their numbers so low to this point. I’m also not a big fan of those saying masks alone are key to getting things under control. I think it’s just one component. Even if masks help just a little bit it’s well worth it because it’s really not a big deal to wear one.

I don’t think we’ll ever know how effective they truly are. Even if numbers go up in areas that wear masks, how do we know the numbers wouldn’t have been even higher without them? Very few claim wearing a mask alone will get it done. Many proponents of mask wearing were critical of the CDC director’s comments about getting it under control in 4-8 weeks. Makes it seem like it’s the cure all.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Karen's taking it up a notch.

I liked the comment of "So, she had a pissy fit" on the twitter thread. One other comment said she was arrested and stolen merchandise from Dick's Sporting Goods was found in her car.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Why would it not be about comparing the two? It’s all relative. Even with 10 times the cases, overall they are still doing extremely well.

I have no idea if masks have been a big factor in keeping their numbers so low to this point. I’m also not a big fan of those saying masks alone are key to getting things under control. I think it’s just one component. Even if masks help just a little bit it’s well worth it because it’s really not a big deal to wear one.

I don’t think we’ll ever know how effective they truly are. Even if numbers go up in areas that wear masks, how do we know the numbers wouldn’t have been even higher without them? Very few claim wearing a mask alone will get it done. Many proponents of mask wearing were critical of the CDC director’s comments about getting it under control in 4-8 weeks. Makes it seem like it’s the cure all.
If “it” is all relative, you blow up your own mask mania.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score

Probably the bigger question is why you guys can’t be burdened to wear masks for a few minutes in public indoor areas? WTF? This has to be the dumbest symbolic argument in recent history, maybe ever as I can’t think of anything.

What is difficult about wearing masks? Millions of people wear them all day, every day. Not hard, not dangerous. CO2 moves effortlessly...

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
Probably the bigger question is why you guys can’t be burdened to wear masks for a few minutes in public indoor areas? WTF? This has to be the dumbest symbolic argument in recent history, maybe ever as I can’t think of anything.

What is difficult about wearing masks? Millions of people wear them all day, every day. Not hard, not dangerous. CO2 moves effortlessly...
I wear a mask where I'm required to wear a mask and I don't complain about it. I think there are clear situations where they make sense.

The data and Science continues to show that universal masking does nothing to slow or eradicate the disease. There has been decades of research and peer reviewed papers that support this, which the CDC also stood behind until recently.

It's the media led pseudoscience that continues to promote government control that I have a problem with. At first, they were just going to shut things down for a few weeks, then it became a month, then two months, then more etc. Now it's just wear a mask for 4-8 weeks, then it'll be under control. But when cases don't disappear, that will keep getting extended for how long?

The data is very clear on where the high risk areas and populations are. Yet rather than requiring masks, or focusing resources on these areas, the government continues to push for universal control. That will never sit well with me.

Last edited:

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Interesting. Everyone should watch this with mask questions.

Ah yes, a conspiracy theorists that was a big part of spreading the Pizzagate BS and works for the Russian state-run RT news network.

Last edited:

BarnBurner

Reaction score

Wear your mask while you walk from your car into the restaurant, and to your seats. Place your beverage order. Server returns with beverages. Take off mask to consume beverage. Put mask back on, for the server to take your food order. Take mask off when food arrives.
Eat food. Put mask back on.
Meanwhile, servers and other patrons pass by you with your mask off.
Remember, touching your face is bad. Having no mask is bad. Yet sitting at an establishment sans mask is approved.
Good grief.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
I wear a mask where I'm required to wear a mask and I don't complain about it. I think there are clear situations where they make sense.

The data and Science continues to show that universal masking does nothing to slow or eradicate the disease. There has been decades of research and peer reviewed papers that support this, which the CDC also stood behind until recently.

It's the media led pseudoscience that continues to promote government control that I have a problem with. At first, they were just going to shut things down for a few weeks, then it became a month, then two months, then more etc. Now it's just wear a mask for 4-8 weeks, then it'll be under control. But when cases don't disappear, that will keep getting extended for how long?

The data is very clear on where the high risk areas and populations are. Yet rather than requiring masks, or focusing resources on these areas, the government continues to push for universal control. That will never sit well with me.
I'm not sure the statement by the CDC guy was meant to mean only wear them for 4-8 weeks, then we're in the clear. That's why his statement has been criticized by so many because it makes it seem that way.

Spoofin

Reaction score
Wear your mask while you walk from your car into the restaurant, and to your seats. Place your beverage order. Server returns with beverages. Take off mask to consume beverage. Put mask back on, for the server to take your food order. Take mask off when food arrives.
Eat food. Put mask back on.
Meanwhile, servers and other patrons pass by you with your mask off.
Remember, touching your face is bad. Having no mask is bad. Yet sitting at an establishment sans mask is approved.
Good grief.
OK - I get where you are coming from. You don't think masks work and don't like the idea of being forced to wear them. Got it.

However, can I ask why you feel so strongly about it? I mean, what is the harm in wearing a mask - even if you don't feel it will make a difference? I have to be honest, the #1 reason I wear a mask isn't because I think I am saving myself or others - it is because it isn't a big deal and I know it makes many around me more comfortable.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
highest risk of transmission:
face-to-face contact
for at least 10 minutes
within 6 feet of each other.

So those patrons and servers walking by you in the restaurant - as long as you are not having a face-to-face interaction within 6 feet for at least 10 minutes, the odds of transmission go way down.

the point of wearing a mask is to protect both parties when you are having that type of interaction. (assuming you are not part of the same household or family unit).

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
May 2020 study from CDC on effectiveness of masks for influenza

The reference is: "Nonpharmaceutical Measures for Pandemic Influenza in Nonhealthcare Settings---Personal Protective and Environmental Measures." Published in: "Emerging Infectious Diseases, Vol.26, No. 5, May 2020." (That journal is published by the CDC.)

"Here, we review the evidence base on the effectiveness of nonpharmaceutical personal protective measures and environmental hygiene measures in non-healthcare settings and discuss their potential inclusion in pandemic plans. Although mechanistic studies [*] support the potential effect of hand hygiene or face masks, evidence from 14 randomized controlled trials of these measures did not support a substantial effect on transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza. We similarly found limited evidence on the effectiveness of improved hygiene and environmental cleaning."

Here are quotes from pages 970-972 of the review: "In our systematic review, we identified 10 RCTs [randomized controlled trials] that reported estimates of the effectiveness of face masks in reducing laboratory-confirmed influenza virus infections in the community from literature published during 1946-July 27, 2018. In pooled analysis, we found no significant reduction in influenza transmission with the use of face masks..."

"Disposable medical masks (also known as surgical masks) are loose-fitting devices that were designed to be worn by medical personnel to protect accidental contamination of patient wounds, and to protect the wearer against splashes or sprays of bodily fluids... There is limited evidence for their effectiveness in preventing influenza virus transmission either when worn by the infected person for source control or when worn by uninfected persons to reduce exposure. Our systematic review found no significant effect of face masks on transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza."

"In this review, we did not find evidence to support a protective effect of personal protective measures or environmental measures in reducing influenza transmission."

cjbfbp

Reaction score
I have to be honest, the #1 reason I wear a mask isn't because I think I am saving myself or others - it is because it isn't a big deal and I know it makes many around me more comfortable.
I think you've answered your own question. What you are describing is part of what people might call being a gentleman (or a "lady") or simply a good citizen. Not everyone prioritizes that image.

mjfelton15

Banned
Reaction score
highest risk of transmission:
face-to-face contact
for at least 10 minutes
within 6 feet of each other.

So those patrons and servers walking by you in the restaurant - as long as you are not having a face-to-face interaction within 6 feet for at least 10 minutes, the odds of transmission go way down.

the point of wearing a mask is to protect both parties when you are having that type of interaction. (assuming you are not part of the same household or family unit).
Prior to covid, how many people did you used to have face-to-face contact with, for over 10 minutes, within 6 ft of each other in your average day out in public areas?

I’d have to say that this description rarely fits anything I experience when I’m out amongst total strangers.

justthefacts

Reaction score
May 2020 study from CDC on effectiveness of masks for influenza

The reference is: "Nonpharmaceutical Measures for Pandemic Influenza in Nonhealthcare Settings---Personal Protective and Environmental Measures." Published in: "Emerging Infectious Diseases, Vol.26, No. 5, May 2020." (That journal is published by the CDC.)

"Here, we review the evidence base on the effectiveness of nonpharmaceutical personal protective measures and environmental hygiene measures in non-healthcare settings and discuss their potential inclusion in pandemic plans. Although mechanistic studies [*] support the potential effect of hand hygiene or face masks, evidence from 14 randomized controlled trials of these measures did not support a substantial effect on transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza. We similarly found limited evidence on the effectiveness of improved hygiene and environmental cleaning."

Here are quotes from pages 970-972 of the review: "In our systematic review, we identified 10 RCTs [randomized controlled trials] that reported estimates of the effectiveness of face masks in reducing laboratory-confirmed influenza virus infections in the community from literature published during 1946-July 27, 2018. In pooled analysis, we found no significant reduction in influenza transmission with the use of face masks..."

"Disposable medical masks (also known as surgical masks) are loose-fitting devices that were designed to be worn by medical personnel to protect accidental contamination of patient wounds, and to protect the wearer against splashes or sprays of bodily fluids... There is limited evidence for their effectiveness in preventing influenza virus transmission either when worn by the infected person for source control or when worn by uninfected persons to reduce exposure. Our systematic review found no significant effect of face masks on transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza."

"In this review, we did not find evidence to support a protective effect of personal protective measures or environmental measures in reducing influenza transmission."

Is this thread about Influenza A?

gopher7

Reaction score
I mean, what is the harm in wearing a mask - even if you don't feel it will make a difference? I have to be honest, the #1 reason I wear a mask isn't because I think I am saving myself or others - it is because it isn't a big deal and I know it makes many around me more comfortable.
Here is one reason not to wear a mask that has nothing to do with oppressive govt views.

Taking selfish interests out of the equation (me included), the best way for the human species to defeat a contagious disease is to face it head on and build immunity to it. If we try to run from every disease, we will literally never become immune to anything, and we'll be forced to spend the rest of our lives living in a bubble.

The exceptions are 1) A vaccine is imminent. 2) Hospitals are not able to treat all the sick because their capacity is exceeded. In those two situations then yes, I'm favor of putting every control in place to stop the spread. However right now neither of these applies to Minnesota.

So, this is why I'm generally opposed to the "Gosh, I don't want to accidentally spread it to anyone" mindset, which includes wearing masks when there isn't a larger danger. Causal spreading at moderate rates is a necessary step to beating this disease.

justthefacts

Reaction score
Here is one reason not to wear a mask that has nothing to do with oppressive govt views.

Taking selfish interests out of the equation (me included), the best way for the human species to defeat a contagious disease is to face it head on and build immunity to it. If we try to run from every disease, we will literally never become immune to anything, and we'll be forced to spend the rest of our lives living in a bubble.

The exceptions are 1) A vaccine is imminent. 2) Hospitals are not able to treat all the sick because their capacity is exceeded. In those two situations then yes, I'm favor of putting every control in place to stop the spread. However right now neither of these applies to Minnesota.

So, this is why I'm generally opposed to the "Gosh, I don't want to accidentally spread it to anyone" mindset, which includes wearing masks when there isn't a larger danger. Causal spreading at moderate rates is a necessary step to beating this disease.

Top Bottom