Do you wear a mask?

When you go out to places like the grocery store, do you wear a mask?

• Yes, I think it helps slow the spread

Votes: 41 42.3%
  • Yes, I'm not sure how much it helps but it's no big deal to wear one

Votes: 23 23.7%
  • Yes, but only because I'm required to

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • No, I don't think it helps

Votes: 10 10.3%
  • No, It's my decision/I'm healthy so not at risk

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • No, They're uncomfortable/can't use them due to a health condition

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • No, it makes us look weak/I'm not going to live in fear

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Other, post below

Votes: 5 5.2%

• Total voters

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Let's count the number of ways this is wrong:

1) Yellow Star of David patches were designed to single out a defined group of people;
2) those people who were identified by this patch were subject to depredations and dehumanizations up to and including deportation, slave labor, and death;
3) wearing a mask doesn't subject anyone to any repercussions whatsoever other than a few dirty glares from some idiots and Trump supporters (I apologize for the redundancy);
4) If he doesn't want to be singled out and typed, he can wear a mask and then look like other responsible adults.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
The transmittance curve of masks indicates quality masks can filter the bodily fluid encased virus droplets down to a few microns or smaller in some cases. Individual viruses floating in the air aren’t the main concern, it’s the small droplets at close range.

I don't understand the resistance to brief mask wear when there are huge economic ramifications and political ramifications. I do understand the skepticism for cloth masks and its unfortunate the messaging has been bungled so badly by BOTH sides. Be smart.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
The transmittance curve of masks indicates quality masks can filter the bodily fluid encased virus droplets down to a few microns or smaller in some cases. Individual viruses floating in the air aren’t the main concern, it’s the small droplets at close range.

I don't understand the resistance to brief mask wear when there are huge economic ramifications and political ramifications. I do understand the skepticism for cloth masks and its unfortunate the messaging has been bungled so badly by BOTH sides. Be smart.
Most people agree with you, of course, but if you've seen some of the videos or read some of the stories, you can see that being told to wear a mask makes some people go apeshit. It appears that there is perhaps a small minority that has doubled down on the position of refusing to wear a mask and a much more sizable minority that just refuses to be concerned about this.

cncmin

Reaction score
Wow, RINO

Yeah, but that asswipe is also over four months late in his messaging, the failure of which has greatly contributed to our massive health and economic disaster. It remains the ultimate irony of the Trump administration and the complicit Republican sycophants that their failure to simply ask constituents to wear a frigging mask and to be "brave" enough to show by example may be what leads to the end of the stage 4 political cancer known as Trumpism. And to think they could have retained their political power by simply doing what they should have done, and removed him from office during the impeachment process, which ended just as Covid-19 was starting to settle in America. As TS would say, the Republican Party needs to die and be reborn anew, with actual morals and ethics. We may be seeing that process finally beginning now.

Last edited:

BarnBurner

Reaction score

Resistance comes from lack of proof of effectiveness.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
And chiming in, that notable liberal, Tim Pawlenty:

Wearing masks indoors/close quarters clearly helps prevent virus spread. Freedom without responsibility doesn’t last. In our sadly divided country, let’s at least show we care enough about each other to wear our masks in crowded places.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Resistance comes from lack of proof of effectiveness.
There is evidence for quality masks. There is less evidence or even detrimental evidence for cloth masks but that’s in terms of protection versus infection, probably because of a false sense of security from cloth masks.... As source control, ie reduction in droplets even the worst cloth masks reduce to some small percent. As I said everyone should have quality masks. Personally I consciously distance at least 6 feet from anyone wearing a cotton face mask and I’d suggest everyone do the same. That’s not to say they do absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

BarnBurner

Reaction score
There is evidence for quality masks. There is less evidence or even detrimental evidence for cloth masks but that’s in terms of protection versus infection, probably because of a false sense of security from cloth masks.... As source control, ie reduction in droplets even the worst cloth masks reduce to some small percent. As I said everyone should have quality masks. Personally I consciously distance at least 6 feet from anyone wearing a cotton face mask and I’d suggest everyone do the same. That’s not to say they do absolutely nothing.
Quality means n95, correct? And for prevention of spread, not protection from incoming, correct?

cncmin

Reaction score
Good post. Will you change anyone's mind with good posts? Some of these folks are completely intransigent.

justthefacts

Reaction score
Good post. Will you change anyone's mind with good posts? Some of these folks are completely intransigent.
I keep hoping that it will help if we keep pointing out that the group of national leaders holding out on this issue has a population of 1.

But I'm probably naive

BarnBurner

Reaction score
I keep hoping that it will help if we keep pointing out that the group of national leaders holding out on this issue has a population of 1.

But I'm probably naive
Not naive. Just dishonest to the core.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Quality means n95, correct? And for prevention of spread, not protection from incoming, correct?
If you want good protection n95 or better. However, you many not need that level of protection if everyone wears decent masks.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score

But I'm probably naive
Or, perhaps, rather than naive one might refer to valiantly attempting to change other people's opinions over and over again as arrogant, hubristic, haughty and condescending?

BarnBurner

Reaction score
If you want good protection n95 or better. However, you many not need that level of protection if everyone wears decent masks.
You have said yourself that "decent" masks are not available to the masses. Now what?

Go4Broke

Reaction score
Personally I consciously distance at least 6 feet from anyone wearing a cotton face mask and I’d suggest everyone do the same. That’s not to say they do absolutely nothing.
These are benefits of wearing a cotton face mask:

1. They send a clear message to people who see you wearing one to keep 6 feet away because you're concerned about the coronavirus and don't want to infect anyone - or be infected by anyone.

2. They are better than surgical face masks at preventing the spread of virus droplets to others as well as protecting the wearer. https://healthnewshub.org/health-ne...s-surgical-mask-vs-n95-how-effective-is-each/

3. They help the wearer to keep their hands away from their face.

4. They are more comfortable to wear than N95 or similar masks, and they look better than any other type of mask.

BarnBurner

Reaction score

1. They send a clear message to people who see you wearing one to keep 6 feet away because you're concerned about the coronavirus and don't want to infect anyone - or be infected by anyone.

2. They are better than surgical face masks at preventing the spread of virus droplets to others as well as protecting the wearer. https://healthnewshub.org/health-ne...s-surgical-mask-vs-n95-how-effective-is-each/

4. They are more comfortable to wear than N95 or similar masks, and they look better than any other type of mask.
As long as they look better.........

cjbfbp

Reaction score

Good points but I would say the following:

I would say that #1, while generally true, certainly doesn't work all of the time. There are people, especially in the rural area where I live, who are so unconcerned and oblivious about this that even wearing something that says "stay away" doesn't send a strong message to them.

About #4 - some time ago, I bought a small stash of N95 masks. We also have cloth masks. At first I found the N95 mask to be more uncomfortable and more difficult to wear than the cloth mask but I no longer do. Once you get them broken in a bit, they're fine.

Top Bottom