Do you wear a mask?

When you go out to places like the grocery store, do you wear a mask?

• Yes, I think it helps slow the spread

Votes: 46 43.4%
  • Yes, I'm not sure how much it helps but it's no big deal to wear one

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Yes, but only because I'm required to

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • No, I don't think it helps

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • No, It's my decision/I'm healthy so not at risk

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • No, They're uncomfortable/can't use them due to a health condition

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • No, it makes us look weak/I'm not going to live in fear

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other, post below

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Total voters

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
yeah Lord forbid people be left to do what they feel is best/safest for them. Daddy Gubment knows what’s best
It’s just common sense. Don’t spill Berenson’s cult of personality crap on here. I’m on board with opening up business but there need to be barriers, filters, mask in tight indoor spaces, mass transit. You're tough, you can take it for short periods of time. You’re one step away from Sovereign Citizen loony bin takes.

stocker08

Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHA!!!! What a dingbat. Some of the comments are great.

That was excruciating.
She wonders why people are “living in fear” while she has an anxiety fuelled meltdown after wearing a pleated cloth mask for a few minutes.
Oh, and about those numbers...
This is so heartfelt, the edits were so subtle.
"C'mon! She *just* wants to see people's faces, make human connections, hug people & hold babies, OKAY??? No one's gonna stop Karen from showing extreme affection -and spreading virus to her loved ones."

mjfelton15

Banned
Reaction score
It’s just common sense. Don’t spill Berenson’s cult of personality crap on here. I’m on board with opening up business but there need to be barriers, filters, mask in tight indoor spaces, mass transit. You're tough, you can take it for short periods of time. You’re one step away from Sovereign Citizen loony bin takes.
I think it’s common sense to let people decide what is best for themselves.

Angry

Reaction score
Masks are not preventing you from breathing in pathogens. Unless you’re living in a bubble, your immune system is getting a good workout.
I don’t care what political affiliation you are. You seem fairly normal from your posts.

I like that you use the term bubble, because when we expand the bubble the stronger we get.

I can only speak for myself. I don’t wear a mask but I can’t remember the last time I went to a big box store or grocery. I have no quarrels with people who wear masks.

As I’ve said in past posts the only thing that’s different for me is I don’t visit my old man. I work in critical manufacturing so not much has changed. I go to work have a few beers and run around with my dog.

My question still remains. Do we run the risk of immune deficiency? Over what period of time?
I see people aren’t getting vaccinated and other treatments they otherwise would’ve. Is this not cause for concern?

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
The average intelligence of our society has dropped to a scary low. Don't be stupid, wear a mask in public situations where social distancing 100% of the time isn't feasible. This isn't hard to do. Open everything up but require this.

jamiche

Reaction score
The average intelligence of our society has dropped to a scary low. Don't be stupid, wear a mask in public situations where social distancing 100% of the time isn't feasible. This isn't hard to do. Open everything up but require this.
Yup.

Just Gopher It!!

Reaction score
Found this poll on mask wearing interesting -

Poll: 7-in-10 Believe Wearing Mask "a Sign of Respectfulness"

Last edited:

cncmin

Reaction score
Yeah we might as well fall in line with China and wear them all the time, because mild inconvenience for humanity. Who funds the studies showing that they work?
You are unbelievably dense; and I'd argue awfully lazy as well. Yeah, wearing a mask in public is sooooooo inconvenient. Poor you.

cncmin

Reaction score
Or he doesn’t buy into fear mongering.
Asking you to wear a mask in public, because they are shown to likely work very well to cut down respiratory viral transmission, is now called "fear mongering" by you dingleberries in the Echo Chamber. You can't make this stuff up.

I suppose condoms don't work as contraceptives either, right?

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
My question is: are people wearing masks because they are afraid of getting the virus? I thought the whole purpose was to attempt to slow the spread...not stop it all together. Hospitals are not overwhelmed, what is the point of the masks and restrictions at this point?
The front page story in the paper today is that hospitals are on the brink of being overwhelmed.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Prolonged use of masks and disinfectant will weaken people’s immune systems. By in large germs are good for us.
Masks have nothing to do with that. Most germs aren't inhaled when you're out in public.

Most probiotics come from the food you eat. If you're spraying your food with Clorox, you're doing it wrong.

scools12

Reaction score
The front page story in the paper today is that hospitals are on the brink of being overwhelmed.
I assume you took this from the Startribune story. If you’re going to push this story some context to what the story actually said might be helpful.

“The Minnesota Department of Health on Friday reported a record 233 patients with COVID-19 in ICU beds, but doctors and nurses said patients with other illnesses resulted in more than 95% of those beds in the Twin Cities to be filled.”

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I assume you took this from the Startribune story. If you’re going to push this story some context to what the story actually said might be helpful.

“The Minnesota Department of Health on Friday reported a record 233 patients with COVID-19 in ICU beds, but doctors and nurses said patients with other illnesses resulted in more than 95% of those beds in the Twin Cities to be filled.”
Those morons!

How dare they fill up ICU beds, with their non-cv19, urgent, critical illnesses!!!

Don't they know that they're just supposed to die at home, so the radical right can make it look like ICU beds are empty?????

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score

I thoroughly read the article. My takeaway is that this thing is too close for comfort. Non-emergency surgeries are going to continue and may even increase in the short term due to pent-up demand.

scools12

Reaction score
Those morons!

How dare they fill up ICU beds, with their non-cv19, urgent, critical illnesses!!!

Don't they know that they're just supposed to die at home, so the radical right can make it look like ICU beds are empty?????
Not sure how you came to this from what I posted?

Shouldn’t be surprised since you’re an idiot.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Not sure how you came to this from what I posted?

Shouldn’t be surprised since you’re an idiot.
Just because I quoted your post, doesn't necessarily mean I'm speaking only to you.

Also speaking to the radical right posters who post here frequently, who deep down believe exactly what I said.

scools12

Reaction score
I thoroughly read the article. My takeaway is that this thing is too close for comfort. Non-emergency surgeries are going to continue and may even increase in the short term due to pent-up demand.
As far as I know there hasn’t been a hospital in the country that has been overwhelmed. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Washington’s 1000 bed field hospital closed without taking a patient, heard very little about the hospital ship in Los Angeles and not a whole more about the one in NYC. Javits Center last info I saw a 1/3 of it wasn’t even used. If NYC could make it through I am not seeing how MN hospitals are going to be overwhelmed.

Last edited:

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
What is the hospital staff TikTok dance post to ICU bed ratio in the Twin Ciities. I’m also fascinated by the availability of staff to leave their patients to do the clap off sendaways...this implies mass underutilization at some facilities. Most clinics and hospitals are understaffed and on the brink of being overrun under normal conditions because $$. Official sources have claimed there are an additonal 1000+ surge beds available within 72 hours if needed. Staffing, medicines, PPE is the bigger question in my mind. The models on MN are literally all over the map, I don’t think anyone has a good handle on what will happen.

Section2

Reaction score
What has changed for you to come to that conclusion?
There is just not a widespread outbreak in MN. In March or early April, had the government opened back up and asked citizens to wear masks, I would have complied. I was anyway. But I am just so fed up with our response, we have just skewed waaay to far on the side of caution. I am saying no to all of it. I’m not going to live in fear.

Or maybe put it this way, it feels like government is saying, wear a mask and maybe Ill give you back some liberty. I say no to that statement. I’m sure that’s a minority opinion. You are just doing what you think is right, and I have no problem with your opinion. I’m thinking and acting bigger picture and longer term.

Last edited:

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
The current mood is that the virus is at bay. IF cases crest again in a month or two people will be more on board with masks and generally not acting like disrespectful idiots. It would be nice if the virus disappears into the ether but that seems like a less likely scenario. More likely and probable is a steady flow of cases but not an overwhelming wave as there is already self-induced distancing and masking going on in large percentage of the population. Beyond learning to live with the virus as a background disease the hoped for backup plan is a safe and effective vaccine sometime this coming winter or spring but the devil is in the details on efficacy and logistics, and acceptance. There is no gurantee a vaccine will work well in the immune-challenged elderly, and there is prevailing opinion a vaccine may need a 2 or even 3 dose regimen to prime the immune response adequately.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
new Minnesota Poll on mask-wearing:

The poll, conducted May 18-20, found that 92% of Democrats and 75% of independents had worn a mask the previous week, compared with 53% of Republicans.

That partisanship was clear in the Minnesota Poll of 800 people, conducted as state infections and deaths continued to rise. Statewide, 47% of Republicans said they had not worn a mask in the preceding week, compared to 8% who identified as Democrats.

The poll, conducted by Mason-Dixon Polling & Strategy, has an overall margin of error of 3.5%.

Women were more likely to wear masks, with 80% saying they'd done so, compared with 68% of men. And residents of Hennepin and Ramsey counties wore them more than those in the suburbs or greater Minnesota.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
There is just not a widespread outbreak in MN. In March or early April, had the government opened back up and asked citizens to wear masks, I would have complied. I was anyway. But I am just so fed up with our response, we have just skewed waaay to far on the side of caution. I am saying no to all of it. I’m not going to live in fear.

Or maybe put it this way, it feels like government is saying, wear a mask and maybe Ill give you back some liberty. I say no to that statement. I’m sure that’s a minority opinion. You are just doing what you think is right, and I have no problem with your opinion. I’m thinking and acting bigger picture and longer term.
Nobody's being asked to live in fear. All we're being asked to do is mix in a little personal responsibility and common consideration in with the personal liberty we enjoy. Just like we leaned in civics class long ago. It's not too much to ask of citizens.

Section2

Reaction score
Nobody's being asked to live in fear. All we're being asked to do is mix in a little personal responsibility and common consideration in with the personal liberty we enjoy. Just like we leaned in civics class long ago. It's not too much to ask of citizens.
If government got out of the way, I would agree. You seem to be ignoring the current government response. It is absolutely based on fear and not facts.

Section2

Reaction score
The current mood is that the virus is at bay. IF cases crest again in a month or two people will be more on board with masks and generally not acting like disrespectful idiots. It would be nice if the virus disappears into the ether but that seems like a less likely scenario. More likely and probable is a steady flow of cases but not an overwhelming wave as there is already self-induced distancing and masking going on in large percentage of the population. Beyond learning to live with the virus as a background disease the hoped for backup plan is a safe and effective vaccine sometime this coming winter or spring but the devil is in the details on efficacy and logistics, and acceptance. There is no gurantee a vaccine will work well in the immune-challenged elderly, and there is prevailing opinion a vaccine may need a 2 or even 3 dose regimen to prime the immune response adequately.
The virus isn’t in the background. I wish it were. It is jammed down every Americans throat front and center.

oak_street1981

Reaction score
Just because I quoted your post, doesn't necessarily mean I'm speaking only to you.

Also speaking to the radical right posters who post here frequently, who deep down believe exactly what I said.
You are by far the most radical poster on this board. You and that nutjob CRMNNN should have your own left wing loony sub-board for your snowflake, SJW circle-jerk.

People like you are why the dem party lost most of America. After this dem governor power trip, they are going to lose a lot more, this time in outer ring suburbia. If the R party had Woodbury, Chanhassen, Edina, Maple Grove, Eden Prairie, WBL, ect. right now, Walz would have been stopped by now, but those people are going to swing back in November.

The radical and their limousine liberal associates on the left will still have the AOC/ Omar loyalists in Minneapolis, plus the tree huggers in St. Paul- Betty McCollum's district, but there will be payback for this over-reach when everyone standing in the smoldering ruins of our economy realizes what happened after the final mortality figures are known.

Last edited:

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
The virus isn’t in the background. I wish it were. It is jammed down every Americans throat front and center.
Agree. The hysteria is ridiculous but that doesn’t mean some concern isn’t justified. This is measurably worse than the flu but it’s not the apocalypse. The latest fear tactic using the kids is despicable. They ought to be back in school. Stores ought to be open. Restaurants can open with some spacing limitations and hopefully those businesses that can’t reach typical capacities can receive some supplemental government aid until the crisis has completely passed. Hotels should reopen.

The vulnerable should keep their distance from said kids (or anyone), learn to wash hands, wear N95 or better grade masks when out or about. Masks required on mass transit. We’re making this much too hard and traumatic economically, socially, politically.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
It’s gone way, way beyond that at this point.

Top Bottom