Do you wear a mask?

When you go out to places like the grocery store, do you wear a mask?

• Yes, I think it helps slow the spread

Votes: 46 43.4%
  • Yes, I'm not sure how much it helps but it's no big deal to wear one

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Yes, but only because I'm required to

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • No, I don't think it helps

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • No, It's my decision/I'm healthy so not at risk

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • No, They're uncomfortable/can't use them due to a health condition

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • No, it makes us look weak/I'm not going to live in fear

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other, post below

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Total voters

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
There seems to be a big divide when it comes to masks. Curious what everyone else is doing.

Just Gopher It!!

Reaction score
Yes, as I want others to ear them, so then I should do the same. I'd estimate where I live, ~70% wear them. I won't patronize stores where they don't wear them- so I have stopped going to my neighborhood butcher, who despite requiring customers to wear them, doesn't reciprocate.

tikited

Me
Reaction score
I do when I go into the box stores. Why not?

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Properly done and combined with hand washing and proper technique would reduce transmission rate to near zero and get case counts down quickly to a more manageable level. Unfortunately many don’t have quality masks or aren’t wearing them properly because they’ve never been educated.

Section2

Reaction score
I put no, I'm not going to live in fear, but with a caveat. I wear a gopher gaiter to costco, otherwise no. When outside? Absolutely not. If I was going to be in a very crowded place? yes, I would put one on.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
In Florida, a lot people (~80%) chose to wear a mask optionally in the grocery store. Some grocery stores required it though state guidelines didn’t require it. I felt somewhat uncomfortable not wearing a mask if most everyone else was wearing one, and it was no big deal to put one on. The grocery stores that required it allowed any kind of makeshift covering.

Having just driven back to Illinois through Georgia, Tennessee and Kentucky, optional masks were quite prevalent (more than 50%) in places where social distancing was difficult. Once in Illinois, it is the law by executive order to wear it in areas where social distancing was not possible, so everyone is forced to comply.

I don’t have a problem with respecting others concerns by wearing a mask and social distancing, and I take hygiene measures to minimize my exposure. I just don’t know if it will matter b/c I don’t think we actually know enough about the CV-19 to precisely determine how many cases there have been, deaths due to CV-19 (suspect we are over counting b/c of “presumptive cases and under counting asymptomatic), transmissibility, mortality rate, and whether a vaccine will be developed prior to herd immunity.

I think we should take those steps, as I said, out of respect for others, but we should get back to living and working normally to avoid the definite economic and health damage that seclusion is causing.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Yes, as I want others to ear them, so then I should do the same. I'd estimate where I live, ~70% wear them. I won't patronize stores where they don't wear them- so I have stopped going to my neighborhood butcher, who despite requiring customers to wear them, doesn't reciprocate.
You're lucky. My guess is that 80% to 90% of people in my community don't wear a mask when they go into stores. Perhaps a somewhat larger minority wears gloves. A small meat market in my community behaves similarly to yours. They have requirements of only 3 people in the store at one time and for the distance customers must stand from the counter but none of their personnel wear masks although they do wear gloves.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Other: Yes, virtue signaling.
Well, that kind of goes both ways, doesn't it? Notice the "No, it makes us look weak/I'm not going to live in fear" vote. I'm convinced that's the reason Pence didn't wear a mask at Mayo despite knowing that it was required. He didn't want to look weak to the knuckle-dragging segment of his base.

scools12

Reaction score
I have not as of yet worn a mask.

Places I have gone are about 50/50 with people wearing masks. If I go to a place that requires it I will wear one. If they don’t require it I won’t.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
When outdoors, rarely. When I go into stores to shop I wear a mask out of consideration for others even though it violates my constitutional rights as a bare-faced American patriot - which cheeses me to no end, but in the end, it’s the right thing to do, so I do it.
I usually don this mask, and you would be surprised at how many people tell me they miss me terribly and that they wish someone would do to him what they did to me. Oh, well...
3EB18E00-A482-4D1A-823B-C5265291F72A.jpeg

Just Gopher It!!

Reaction score
You're lucky. My guess is that 80% to 90% of people in my community don't wear a mask when they go into stores. Perhaps a somewhat larger minority wears gloves. A small meat market in my community behaves similarly to yours. They have requirements of only 3 people in the store at one time and for the distance customers must stand from the counter but none of their personnel wear masks although they do wear gloves.
I 'm mystified by their logic. Basically all the supermarkets and their deli workers wear them, one of the green grocers in my area hired a security guard and now won't admit customers unless they're masked & gloves up.

Also mask wearing is mandatory where I live (NYC - as it should be).

GoodasGold

Reaction score
I 'm mystified by their logic. Basically all the supermarkets and their deli workers wear them, one of the green grocers in my area hired a security guard and now won't admit customers unless they're masked & gloves up.
Dangerous move. Now at risk of being shot by an American Patriot.

Angry

Reaction score
No I want to be part of the herd. It gives people a false sense of security, and then they don't do other mitigation.

Just Gopher It!!

Reaction score
Dangerous move. Now at risk of being shot by an American Patriot.
Lol - carrying a gun without a permit in NYC earns you a nickel (acquiring a carry permit is basically impossible), so highly unlikely based on my experience in living here 25 years. Basically business owners have the right to refuse a customer as long as it isn't base on race, religion or social class.

diehard

Reaction score
I might order the scary clown facecover.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. There's definitely a divide on this issue developing too. Some think it makes a big difference and that it means anyone wearing it is much safer. Others think it's ridiculous, doesn't work and should be a choice. I don't wear a mask in the backyard or on walks. Most people have been good about keeping their distance as we walk around the neighborhood. I do wear one when going to the grocery store and our daycare provider asks all parents to wear one when they drop off and pick up their child.

My opinion is I don't know how much it helps but even if it doesn't help much, it's still better than nothing. I don't feel like it's a big deal. Worse case is down the road the evidence points to it not helping in any way. It's not that big of a deal.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
Wearing a mask in public when social distancing isn't easily accomplished should be a requirement as part of the open back up plan. Plain and simple.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
If the majority of transmission is within the home, wouldn't it be more important to wear a mask at home rather than out in public?

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
If the majority of transmission is within the home, wouldn't it be more important to wear a mask at home rather than out in public?
How do you think the person who is bringing it into the home is getting sick? Stop that person from getting sick.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
How do you think the person who is bringing it into the home is getting sick? Stop that person from getting sick.
That's not working very well in NYC right now.

How many cases are tied to picking up COVID at a retail store? From what I've seen, very few.

I had this discussion with one of my nurse friends last night. Having a N95 or hospital grade mask absolutely makes a difference. But she thinks that a using homemade/re-usable cloth mask will actually increase the chances of infecting yourself, and will do very little to protect others.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score

How many cases are tied to picking up COVID at a retail store? From what I've seen, very few.

I had this discussion with one of my nurse friends last night. Having a N95 or hospital grade mask absolutely makes a difference. But she thinks that a using homemade/re-usable cloth mask will actually increase the chances of infecting yourself, and will do very little to protect others.
I don't disagree with that. I think the home made mask thing is just a placebo affect to make people feel better.

As far as NY goes. I don't believe people for 1 second. No way that high a percentage of people have not left their homes for 3 weeks straight. Literally zero chance.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score

How are you suggesting that it's getting into the home to begin with? Someone has got to be bringing it in.

Top Bottom