Do You Agree With Walz Latest "Plan?"

Do you support Walz newest "reopening" plan?

• Yes, this plan is well thought out and the right decision

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, he's doing what he thinks is best and there are no perfect solutions

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • No, it's a little too conservative, even though I generally have supported his decisions

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • No, this is complete insanity and disconnected from reality

Votes: 30 57.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Section2

Reaction score
Select one, poll open 7 days, I'll make this a weekly thing if popular

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
I guess, if that makes people feel better about doing something...I don’t see anything in there about vulnerable populations, nursing homes PPE, quarantine centers for infected etc etc

Section2

Reaction score
What plan?
Open ended, whatever you think it is. I'm seeing polls in the local media that his plans are widely supported, and maybe this board skews a little different politically than whoever the media is polling, but so far is about what I'd expect. I imagine he had most of the moderates until this plan. As Reusse (gigantic lefty but an honest one) said, he's lost the bar owners, the bishops, and the customers of both.

Panthadad2

Reaction score
There are no dates on anything past June 1. That's total B.S. It's impossible to plan for that. Organizations that require personal attendance might as well shut down for summer right now. Prep now to declare for bankruptcy if needed. No need to incur extra cost for anything with no light at the end of the tunnel.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
Open ended, whatever you think it is. I'm seeing polls in the local media that his plans are widely supported, and maybe this board skews a little different politically than whoever the media is polling, but so far is about what I'd expect. I imagine he had most of the moderates until this plan. As Reusse (gigantic lefty but an honest one) said, he's lost the bar owners, the bishops, and the customers of both.
Where I come from that Venn diagram approaches a circle.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
There are no dates on anything past June 1. That's total B.S. It's impossible to plan for that. Organizations that require personal attendance might as well shut down for summer right now. Prep now to declare for bankruptcy if needed. No need to incur extra cost for anything with no light at the end of the tunnel.
I'm really beginning to wonder what percentage of the economy sits in front of a computer screen all day. Work from Home!

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Regarding polls I suspect some percentage are very ok with staying home with state + federal UI payments coming in. There is another large group that are scared out of their wits by all the misinformation floating around. When the financial support dries up attitudes on risk will change in a hurry. The issue now is some jobs - restaurants, airlines, travel, entertainment, aren’t coming back (fully) anytime soon. Those groups of workers will need ongoing support 12+ months; how to thread the needle of needed support without incentivizing sloth is the eternally tough question. These are not normal times and the job market will be depressed for some time.

Panthadad2

Reaction score
Call me surprised. I hesitated to click on the 4th category as extreme, because I'm not an extreme guy, but that's how I feel given the open ended nature of the "plan" (it's more of a theory than a plan). I truly thought my vote would be in a tiny minority.

monk10

Golden Gopher
Reaction score
This looks like a summary of the other Walz thread. So before you open that thread look at this poll and determine what the posts will be about.

monk10

Golden Gopher
Reaction score
Call me surprised. I hesitated to click on the 4th category as extreme, because I'm not an extreme guy, but that's how I feel given the open ended nature of the "plan" (it's more of a theory than a plan). I truly thought my vote would be in a tiny minority.
I think it is just a reflection of the OP. His online persona is extremism. So I think if you disagree that is what it is alluding to.

Section2

Reaction score
I think it is just a reflection of the OP. His online persona is extremism. So I think if you disagree that is what it is alluding to.
Relative to most people, I am indeed extreme. But really, I'm a fan of limited, small government, liberty, voluntarism, anti war. Granted, these are "extreme" positions, but when people think of extremists they generally think Mao on one end and Hitler on the other. So I'm not extreme in that sense.
As for my response options, that's just the general sense of the range of opinions I'm seeing on twitter. Or in response to Reusse's post. some people think Walz is dead on right, many think he's doing the right thing or trying to, he's starting to lose some people who have been strong proponents, and he's completely lost some people who think this is completely nuts.

Livingat45north

Reaction score
Relative to most people, I am indeed extreme. But really, I'm a fan of limited, small government, liberty, voluntarism, anti war. Granted, these are "extreme" positions, but when people think of extremists they generally think Mao on one end and Hitler on the other. So I'm not extreme in that sense.
As for my response options, that's just the general sense of the range of opinions I'm seeing on twitter. Or in response to Reusse's post. some people think Walz is dead on right, many think he's doing the right thing or trying to, he's starting to lose some people who have been strong proponents, and he's completely lost some people who think this is completely nuts.
IMO he's lost rural MN, especially the iron range.

Livingat45north

Reaction score
What are the criteria for moving from phase to phase?
The amount of people that have voted for the next election. Here's the Blue state strategy of "never let a good crisis go to waste".
  1. Delay opening as long as possible to make sure the economy is bad.
  2. When you do open, make sure to scare people so they stay sheltered and don't kick-start the economy into gear (such as repeatedly having the Gov say, "the worst is yet to come")
  3. Move forward the date in which people can cast their votes (e.g., mail everyone a ballot so they can send in their vote in July instead of waiting until Nov).

MplsGopher

Reaction score
His lack of explanation for why 50 people can gather at a bar but 50 people can't gather at an outdoor church service was pathetic.
Time.
Probability of being infected as function of time continuously spend in the proximity of others.

Educate yourself on these concepts.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Costs you nothing to throw out this hysterical hyperbole. So why not?

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Regarding polls I suspect some percentage are very ok with staying home with state + federal UI payments coming in. There is another large group that are scared out of their wits by all the misinformation floating around. When the financial support dries up attitudes on risk will change in a hurry. The issue now is some jobs - restaurants, airlines, travel, entertainment, aren’t coming back (fully) anytime soon. Those groups of workers will need ongoing support 12+ months; how to thread the needle of needed support without incentivizing sloth is the eternally tough question. These are not normal times and the job market will be depressed for some time.
1st Bolded is your fake pet peeve hypothesis. :sneaky:

2nd bolded: stop trying to scare people out of their wits with wild negative misinformation! :cautious:

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
The amount of people that have voted for the next election. Here's the Blue state strategy of "never let a good crisis go to waste".
  1. Delay opening as long as possible to make sure the economy is bad.
  2. When you do open, make sure to scare people so they stay sheltered and don't kick-start the economy into gear (such as repeatedly having the Gov say, "the worst is yet to come")
  3. Move forward the date in which people can cast their votes (e.g., mail everyone a ballot so they can send in their vote in July instead of waiting until Nov).
I'm not this cynical.

Donovan

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I would have voted for the third option. I’m afraid Walz has been brainwashed by his public health experts and has muzzled his economic experts.
Too bad this state representative isn’t running the task force:
REP. JEREMY MUNSON STATEMENT ON MDH’s RELEASE OF COVID-19 MODEL 3.0
[LAKE CRYSTAL, MN] – Rep. Jeremy Munson offered the following statement on the release of the new Epidemiological model for COVID-19.

This new version of the COVID-19 University of Minnesota model continues to be based on outdated information that is three weeks old and does not consider all the changes in treatment and knowledge made in the past week. Once again, it focuses on treating the entire population in the same manner as the less than 0.1% of the population who are most vulnerable to this disease.

We keep coming back to the terrible fact that more than 82% of the deaths are in long term care facilities or “congregate care” as the commissioner refers to it. 99.25% of deaths occur in people who live in long term care facilities or have very serious underlying health conditions.

The Governor should be taking a more strategic approach focused on Minnesota’s vulnerable population while trying to mitigate the damage caused by these orders to the rest of the population.

Minnesota should focus its resources and support on long term care facilities. Moreover, I have serious concerns over our policy of releasing COVID-19 positive patients back into long term care facilities, while they are still infectious. This policy has had a tragic effect in other states like New York, and knowing this, it is unconscionable that we should allow the same thing to happen in Minnesota.

This virus is not going to disappear quickly. Even with stay at home orders, the vast majority of people will eventually be exposed. However, the evidence shows that most people will either be asymptomatic or experience mild symptoms. As with other viruses, the University of Minnesota and many other experts agree, we protect our most vulnerable by building herd immunity within our healthy population.

As we continue the stay at home orders, we continue to push out the peak. This means that whenever we open, there will likely be an increase in cases, so we need to have a plan for watching hospitalization rates. This is also why we need to question the wisdom in pushing the peak out into the Fall, when more people are inside and which will also coincide with our next flu season, with those additional hospitalizations. Some experts and the revision to the 2.0 U of MN models show that by pushing the peak out into the summer, we will actually increase the total deaths from COVID-19.”

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Why is it hyperbole?
"with no light at the end of the tunnel." is the definition of hyperbole.

Sheer nonsense. We'll be in phase IV (and beyond) by August. No good reason not to guess that, so that will be my guess until shown otherwise.

People are just grasping for ways to make themselves and others mad. Anger motivates votes.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
I'll remind you that nearly everyone thought that some form of indoor restaurant service would return by June 1. I think a lot of people feel the football has been pulled away by Lucy, and want something more concrete for the next round.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I'll remind you that nearly everyone thought that some form of indoor restaurant service would return by June 1. I think a lot of people feel the football has been pulled away by Lucy, and want something more concrete for the next round.
Who is nearly everyone, and why do you think that they thought that?

Regardless, they (whomever they are) are free to work with and negotiate for what they see as better terms. If the governor and his expert advisors approve it, as updates to the phases, then I'm onboard.

Top Bottom