Direct tv or Comcast

tikited

Me
Reaction score
I know this question has been asked before, but I'm soooo sick of Comcast/Xfinity that I am looking at some other options. Anyone have Direct Tv and do you like it? Any other info. is welcomed..

stocker08

Reaction score
DirectTV is probably quite a bit cheaper......but get ready to sacrifice a bunch of content. Comcast dwarfs even Charter when it comes to on demand content. You pay a premium for a premium service.

mnsportsgeek

Reaction score
Neither. DirecTV Now or PS Vue. Do it and you won't regret. Your checkbook won't either.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
Direct TV. Better technology, better picture, better price. You will lose it during a thunderstorm though.

tikited

Me
Reaction score
Neither. DirecTV Now or PS Vue. Do it and you won't regret. Your checkbook won't either.
My wife will not like this option as she will say it is too hard to work, but I'll try... Do you gt the BTN?

mnsportsgeek

Reaction score
My wife will not like this option as she will say it is too hard to work, but I'll try... Do you gt the BTN?
Yes, I get more channels than I've ever gotten with Comcast at a fraction of the price. You're right that it's not as simple as satellite or cable, but it isn't hard by any means IMO.

mnsportsgeek

Reaction score
So...the need for a recording device isn't really needed I'm assuming?
If you need DVR, then PS Vue is your choice.

For local channels you'll need to get them through Comcast or use an antenna.

I'll add that it's not for everyone as there is a bit of a learning curve and switching inputs to get to local channels, but I have several friends who have it as well and are happy with it.

mplarson7

Reaction score
I have ATT Uverse and really like it.

I avoid Comcast like the plague.

Donovan

Reaction score
This is my only gripe with DirectTV
Agree, this is the only downside to DirecTv. Good thing is it only seems to happen couple times a year. I've had DirecTv for 10 years and am quite happy with it.

dpodoll68

Elite Poster
Reaction score
If you need DVR, then PS Vue is your choice.

For local channels you'll need to get them through Comcast or use an antenna.

I'll add that it's not for everyone as there is a bit of a learning curve and switching inputs to get to local channels, but I have several friends who have it as well and are happy with it.
Fox and CBS are available on Vue. NBC and ABC are available on-demand, but you need to utilize other resources if you want to watch them live.

DeathClutch

Reaction score
Never had a problem with Comcast myself. I call once every year, and they have been good about keeping me at a lower rate. I pay around $119 a month for 50mbps internet and a tv package that includes BTN and FSN.

cncmin

Reaction score
Direct TV. Better technology, better picture, better price. You will lose it during a thunderstorm though.
I have significant experience with both. Both are quite unethical overall, with DirecTV taking the cake for lying directly to your face (and then charging you fees based on those lies). Most of the DirecTV technicians I've dealth with are pretty awful people, as well, who take very little care about important stuff such as tying cables down to prevent flaying in the wind, and caulking up holes they make in your roof. Stay away from DirecTV.

DirecTV, admittedly, had better channel selection and slightly better picture quality. Satellite internet and/or DSL is crap though unless you don't do much on the internet; and as such Comcast can far better bundle your internet/TV and save you a lot of money in that manner.

The Comcast techs that I have dealt with have, surprisingly, been very good and personable and have gone out of their way to do things "right".

Consider FIOS vs. Comcast. Both have great initial bundle deals for 2-year periods. If you can get a local-based provider give them a thought.

DeathClutch

Reaction score
I have significant experience with both. Both are quite unethical overall, with DirecTV taking the cake for lying directly to your face (and then charging you fees based on those lies). Most of the DirecTV technicians I've dealth with are pretty awful people, as well, who take very little care about important stuff such as tying cables down to prevent flaying in the wind, and caulking up holes they make in your roof. Stay away from DirecTV.

DirecTV, admittedly, had better channel selection and slightly better picture quality. Satellite internet and/or DSL is crap though unless you don't do much on the internet; and as such Comcast can far better bundle your internet/TV and save you a lot of money in that manner.

The Comcast techs that I have dealt with have, surprisingly, been very good and personable and have gone out of their way to do things "right".

Consider FIOS vs. Comcast. Both have great initial bundle deals for 2-year periods. If you can get a local-based provider give them a thought.
Yeah, the Comcast tech that hooked up my Cable was great. I bought a cable modem from Best Buy that wasn't working, so the guy gave me one of Comcast's modems to use for free, until I got a new one. He said technically he wasn't supposed to do that, so it was much appreciated.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Yes, I get more channels than I've ever gotten with Comcast at a fraction of the price. You're right that it's not as simple as satellite or cable, but it isn't hard by any means IMO.
You're happy with Vue? What device do you use? How well does the recording feature work? We are probably going to do the trial sometime and make the switch if it works out. Happy with Uverse but this would save money.

mnsportsgeek

Reaction score
You're happy with Vue? What device do you use? How well does the recording feature work? We are probably going to do the trial sometime and make the switch if it works out. Happy with Uverse but this would save money.
I use an Apple TV and I'm very happy. The DVR is kind of mediocre but it works.

You essentially favorite programs and it will record all shows with that program name. It will then save them for 28 days.

Sony ultimately is just saving an archive of everything for 28 days. If you have a program "favorited" you can watch it.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score

From a technician standpoint, I haven't had a huge issue with either. I do think if you go with a local re-seller over the national number for DirecTV, you'll get better service.

It really depends on what you all need for your cable service. The price really goes up for Comcast if you need multiple room HD/DVR's. They charge you for each one. DirecTV now automatically comes with up to 4 room DVR's. You can get that and a solid TV package for $60 a month, then throw in a Comcast internet subscription for $40-50 a month.

I've found you don't really save a whole lot bundling with Comcast compared to splitting providers. DirecTV does force you into a 2 year contract and it will rise $30-40 in year 2. However when I priced it out for everything I wanted 3 years ago, DirecTV/Comcast internet came to ~$105 year 1, ~$135 year 2. Bundling with Comcast came to around $140 year 1, ~$180 year 2. It was a no brainer.

In 3 years I had fewer than 10 weather issues with DirecTV, mostly thunderstorm related. The good thing is a lot of our thunderstorms come overnight, when everyone is sleeping. Snow was only an issue once, when we had very wet, heavy snow that stuck to the dish. I just knocked it off with a broom and it was fine. Most snow is not that wet and heavy here, so it just slides/blows off.

I think DirecTV's picture quality is much better than Comcast. I believe there is less compression, which allows more to be broadcasted in 1080p compared to 720p. DirecTV also upgrades their technology faster. They already have some options in 4k, but they'll get there much faster than the cable companies will.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
I use an Apple TV and I'm very happy. The DVR is kind of mediocre but it works.

You essentially favorite programs and it will record all shows with that program name. It will then save them for 28 days.

Sony ultimately is just saving an archive of everything for 28 days. If you have a program "favorited" you can watch it.
Thanks

Top Bottom