Dem Debates 2019

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
I started to watch, but other stuff came up.

But from what I saw, it was a race to redistribute as much money possible from the upper incomes to the lower incomes.

John Delaney sounded reasonable, but his notion that the government provide free healthcare or insurance for those that don’t have it and employers will keep offering healthcare insurance to the employees that currently have it is fantasy.

Half the country getting free healthcare and the other half getting it as an employer benefit is not going to happen. That would be a temporary circumstance until everyone else is forced off their employer insurance and onto government insurance/healthcare. He would be kicking people off their employer plans just like the rest of the Dems, only with a little slower transition.

Delaney even said that hospitals would be out of business if they were reimbursed at the current Medicare rate, and no doubt that is true. And, another consequence would be that current recipients of Medicare quality of care would be reduced b/c nobody would be subsidizing and passing on the cost of their healthcare to non-Medicare folks anymore.

Gopherguy0723

Reaction score
The people who accomplished the most to help their cause tonight were Castro, Gabbard, Warren, and Booker.

That doesn't necessarily mean they're the best candidates or correct on all the issues.

Section2

Reaction score
When did Savannah Guthrie and Rachel Maddow declare their candidacies?
Yeah, he was confused I guess. Figured if they aren’t journalists they must be candidates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Section2

Reaction score
The people who accomplished the most to help their cause tonight were Castro, Gabbard, Warren, and Booker.

That doesn't necessarily mean they're the best candidates or correct on all the issues.
Interesting. I thought warren has a good first 10 mins and then faded badly. Interestingly Gabbard has the most search traffic. If she wasn’t Medicare for all...

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
A fair amount of feedback has been tough on Robert Francis O’Rourke.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
No major gaffes. No one really stood out or grabbed the crowd.

with this format, it's almost impossible to stand out. with 60 seconds to answer questions, it turns into talking points and pre-rehearsed lines.

a few candidates had some moments, but that's about it. Klobuchar tried to position herself as "not a crazy liberal." we'll see if that works. Inslee was Mr. Climate Change. the guy from Maryland looked like Mr Peterson from the old Bob Newhart Show.

I actually liked a few things Ryan said, but he looked uncomfortable. DeBlasio came off as a typical New Yorker - loud and brash. Castro and Beto were arguing a lot.

bottom line - nothing really changed tonight. maybe one or two people move up a point or down a point, but they have to narrow down the field and get to fewer candidates before we're going to see any real movement.

I thought the moderators needed to do a better job of keeping order. they should have had some way to turn mics on or off from the moderators' table to cut down on the cross-talk.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
bottom line - nothing really changed tonight. maybe one or two people move up a point or down a point, but they have to narrow down the field and get to fewer candidates before we're going to see any real movement.
I believe the number of donors has to double to make the cut for the next debate. That should cut the group down a bit.

Gophers_4life

Reaction score
I'd vote for Warren, just fine. She'd be an excellent leader for the country, when it comes to policy and decision making.

Not particularly charismatic or looking the part of a strong leader ... but oh well. And if she's not the candidate, won't bother me none.

howeda7

Reaction score
Castro helped himself the most. Beto got hurt the most. Klobuchar was good. Warren didn't do harm to her status for the primary, but didn't help her general election status. Delaney was interesting but nothing that will move the needle for him. Deblasio, Ryan and Inslee can drop out now.

Tulsi is running away with the online polls despite saying very little. Russian bots must love her. Or JJMD is a hacker.

Last edited:

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
It’s ironic that almost everyone of the Democrat candidates references middle and low income people that have been left behind, don’t have college degrees, and are working class citizens. At the same time, Democrat supporters mock Trump’s base of people that were left behind, don’t have college degrees and are working class citizens.

After all, it isn’t millionaires that are filling up those arenas at Trump rallies.

It seems like the biggest difference between who the Democrat candidates are speaking to and who the biggest supporters of Trump are is whether they want to get free stuff or work for it.

Section2

Reaction score
Castro helped himself the most. Beto got hurt the most. Klobuchar was good. Warren didn't do harm to her status for the primary, but didn't help her general election status. Delaney was interesting but nothing that will move the needle for him. Deblasio, Ryan and Inslee can drop out now.

Tulsi is running away with the online polls despite saying very little. Russian bots must love her. Or JJMD is a hacker.
The communist helped himself the most. Howie liked him.
Howie didn’t like Tulsi.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
Not at all, just want to reduce the wealth gap and increase equality and fairness.
Here’s an out of the typical left box idea, focus on how to raise up everyone, including those with the least, instead of focusing on hurting those with more.

Gophers_4life

Reaction score
how to raise up everyone, including those with the least, .
An “on paper” simplistic ideal, win very little specifics, used often to promote policy, but which often fails to achieve its ostensible goal — much like the Laffer curve.

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
From the Washington Examiner

Interestingly enough, the MSNBC moderators had no similar interest in dredging up the other candidates' personal and professional histories.

The moderators did not, for example, ask Elizabeth Warren about the years she spent falsely claiming to be a woman of Native American descent.

They did not ask Cory Booker to answer for the time he claims to have groped a female friend, or about his apparently fabricated stories about his friend "T-Bone."

They did not ask former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julián Castro to address the Hatch Act violation complaints brought against him in 2016 by the Office of Special Counsel — perhaps a relevant topic, given current accusations against Kellyanne Conway.

They did not ask Amy Klobuchar about her apparently infamous anger management issues, or the story about her forcing a female staffer to dry-shave her legs under a table, which was used as a joke in the comedy show Veep.

They did not ask New York Mayor Bill de Blasio about his city’s crumbling infrastructure or all the money that has gone wasted or missing from programs headed by the mayor and his wife, or the fact that President Trump is more popular in New York City than he is.

Todd did not even ask Beto O’Rourke about the time he drunkenly caused a car wreck and then tried to flee from the scene of the accident, only to lie about it later in a debate in a U.S. Senate race.

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score

Anything i can do to help.

The only poll that I saw that she won was drudge, and who cares about that one. Cant imagine many dems/lefties/liberals/progressives participated in a drudge poll

bga1

Reaction score
From the Washington Examiner

Interestingly enough, the MSNBC moderators had no similar interest in dredging up the other candidates' personal and professional histories.

The moderators did not, for example, ask Elizabeth Warren about the years she spent falsely claiming to be a woman of Native American descent.

They did not ask Cory Booker to answer for the time he claims to have groped a female friend, or about his apparently fabricated stories about his friend "T-Bone."

They did not ask former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julián Castro to address the Hatch Act violation complaints brought against him in 2016 by the Office of Special Counsel — perhaps a relevant topic, given current accusations against Kellyanne Conway.

They did not ask Amy Klobuchar about her apparently infamous anger management issues, or the story about her forcing a female staffer to dry-shave her legs under a table, which was used as a joke in the comedy show Veep.

They did not ask New York Mayor Bill de Blasio about his city’s crumbling infrastructure or all the money that has gone wasted or missing from programs headed by the mayor and his wife, or the fact that President Trump is more popular in New York City than he is.

Todd did not even ask Beto O’Rourke about the time he drunkenly caused a car wreck and then tried to flee from the scene of the accident, only to lie about it later in a debate in a U.S. Senate race.
Those types of issues are not what your advertising agency (DNC Media) are going to highlight.

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
Those types of issues are not what your advertising agency (DNC Media) are going to highlight.
you are 100% correct. When youre not an establishment candidate, you might have to steal Trump's strategy and raise hell. Scorched earth strategy. It makes the moderators cover you and if you do it right, makes you look passionate and not a dick. Although I think Trump probably looked like a passionate dick. Haha

Gophers_4life

Reaction score
If she really is some internet/online poll phenom, when it’s obvious that she isn’t going to win ... that screams Ron Paul to me.

I don’t care what internet people want.

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
If she really is some internet/online poll phenom, when it’s obvious that she isn’t going to win ... that screams Ron Paul to me.

I don’t care what internet people want.
or Trump, who didnt have a chance either

Top Bottom