Dallas police officer convicted of murder

MplsGopher

Reaction score
https://www.npr.org/2019/10/01/7657...or-in-upstairs-apartment-found-guilty-of-murd

A Dallas jury has found former police Officer Amber Guyger guilty of murder for fatally shooting a neighbor who lived in the apartment directly above hers last year. She had testified that she entered Botham Jean's unit after a long day at work, thinking it was her own home and that he was an intruder.

There is one aspect of this in particular that I want to discuss. Why was it murder?

Doesn't murder mean it was a planned out killing? IE, she planned to kill the guy before it happened?

What was the motive for wanting to kill that specific guy? That part seems far-fetched to me.

I think, sadly, this officer got caught up in the frenzy of black people (mainly men) being killed by white police officers, and the black public being hungry for some of the officers to be convicted of murder, as a sense of justice.

None of these police shootings really feel like murder, in that strict sense. I don't believe any of the officers were thinking to themselves "oh boy, I'm gonna kill that black guy real good! Just he wait!".

GoodasGold

Reaction score
Giving a hormonal estrogen-American a loaded weapon is tantamount to murder.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
It should be aggravated manslaughter. There was no motive revealed.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
It should be aggravated manslaughter. There was no motive revealed.
And don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be disappointed if the officer was convicted of that, and did prison time because of that crime.

I just don't think it was murder. I think that is being given up as a concession to the black public that is demanding it.

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
https://www.npr.org/2019/10/01/7657...or-in-upstairs-apartment-found-guilty-of-murd

There is one aspect of this in particular that I want to discuss. Why was it murder?

Doesn't murder mean it was a planned out killing? IE, she planned to kill the guy before it happened?

What was the motive for wanting to kill that specific guy? That part seems far-fetched to me.

I think, sadly, this officer got caught up in the frenzy of black people (mainly men) being killed by white police officers, and the black public being hungry for some of the officers to be convicted of murder, as a sense of justice.

None of these police shootings really feel like murder, in that strict sense. I don't believe any of the officers were thinking to themselves "oh boy, I'm gonna kill that black guy real good! Just he wait!".
It was manslaughter but changed to murder by the grand jury. My understanding is it was based of a "castle" law; basically youre allowed to stand your ground in your home. Some how that equates to if you kill someone in their house, regardless of intent, its murder, not manslaughter.

I though for sure it would come out they knew each other. But nothing indicates this as true.

stocker08

Reaction score
Interesting case to say the least. If there were people around her saying that she was losing it or something...that would be a different case.

On the other hand....a "long day" doesn't exactly excuse the fact that you shoot someone to death in their own home. The second that you open the door...don't you recognize the surroundings and say..."geez....this isn't my stuff! I didn't configure my apartment like this!"

The fact that it got to the point where she actually drew her weapon and shot someone to death before realizing her own mistake sets off some alarms here imo.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
I've always thought there was something more to this case. A drug deal, a relationship, etc. It just doesn't add up to me.

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
I've always thought there was something more to this case. A drug deal, a relationship, etc. It just doesn't add up to me.
I agree. Thought the same thing from the beginning.

But she was just really dumb. They have no other evidence to the contrary. She also did it the wrong state. She probably would have gotten manslaughter if it wasnt Texas

bigtenchamps1899

credulous skeptic
Reaction score
i thought murder was a weird ruling. but i guess her lawyers were going with self defense and because self defense is an affirmative defense she had to take the stand. and when she took the stand she said that she intended to kill him. reasonable with regards to self defense (though still a stupid thing to say on the stand and i’m surprised her lawyer didn’t ensure she didn’t say it). there’s your intent.

i have not been following any of this, so i don’t know. but that is what i heard.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
That’s hard for me to believe.

She really wanted to kill a black man, and this was her best plan? To pretend to be tired, walk into his place, blow him away, and then call 911?

That’s something like Trump supporters would come up with.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score

howeda7

Reaction score
Honest to good God, what Trump's doing--whether he knows it or not--is an illuminist/satanic sign. The three fingers on top of the circle indicate 666, and putting it over your eye is illuminist symbolism for the all-seeing eye--the same eye at the top of the pyramid on the $1 bill.
Oh my. If Obama had done that CRG would have had several paragraphs about what it all meant. (UN Troops invading Texas)?

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
At this point, I think it's likely that I'm giving off some racist bigoted signals right at this moment while sitting at my desk and don't even know it.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
Oh my. If Obama had done that CRG would have had several paragraphs about what it all meant. (UN Troops invading Texas)?
In fairness, Trump probably doesn't know what the heck he's doing. He's probably just seeing Stephen Miller do it, and he wants to feel like he's in the club.

Guyger gets 10 years after a trial by her peers. Botham Jean gets death with no opportunity for parole.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
This all but proves the murder charge was a scam, in my opinion. I agree that she is guilty of a crime, and I agree with her serving 10 years in prison as punishment for what she did.

I do not believe she planned and executed a murder.

http://www.startribune.com/slain-man-s-brother-judge-hug-ex-cop-sentenced-to-10-years/562039002/

A white Dallas police officer who said she mistook a neighbor’s apartment for her own and fatally shot him in his living room was sentenced to a decade in prison in a stunning courtroom scene that included the dead man’s brother and the black judge embracing the sobbing officer.

People outside of the courtroom reacted angrily to the sentence given to Amber Guyger in the death of Botham Jean, believing it was too lenient. But Jean’s brother addressed her directly from the witness stand.

Brandt Jean told Guyger that his brother would have wanted her to turn her life over to Christ, and that if she asks God for forgiveness, she will get it.

“I love you as a person. I don’t wish anything bad on you,” he said to the 31-year-old Guyger, before asking the judge, “I don’t know if this is possible, but can I give her a hug?”

The judge said he could, and Brandt and Guyger stood up, met in front of the bench and embraced while Guyger cried. Judge Tammy Kemp also hugged Guyger before she was led from the courtroom Wednesday.

Last edited:

GoodasGold

Reaction score
She’ll get plenty more hugs in prison.

bga1

Reaction score
This all but proves the murder charge was a scam, in my opinion. I agree that she is guilty of a crime, and I agree with her serving 10 years in prison as punishment for what she did.

I do not believe she planned and executed a murder.

http://www.startribune.com/slain-man-s-brother-judge-hug-ex-cop-sentenced-to-10-years/562039002/
I think we should all be humbled by what the brother did there. That's amazing! Forgiveness! What a beautiful concept! I'd offer you a hug Mpls. but I can't see you. Cheers.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
I think we should all be humbled by what the brother did there. That's amazing! Forgiveness! What a beautiful concept! I'd offer you a hug Mpls. but I can't see you. Cheers.
I’ll blow u a kiss.

MNGopher23

Reaction score
I truthfully don't care whether it's labeled as murder or manslaughter. She took the life of a 26 year old person who was sitting at their table eating a bowl of ice cream. He potentially had 50+ more years to live. She should serve more than 10 years.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I truthfully don't care whether it's labeled as murder or manslaughter. She took the life of a 26 year old person who was sitting at their table eating a bowl of ice cream. He potentially had 50+ more years to live. She should serve more than 10 years.
Well is that really any different than someone who runs a bicyclist over because they were texting while driving?

You can argue about the sentence length relative to the level of negligence and the amount of life the person sacrificed, all day, for all kinds of stupid deaths caused by another person.

I only cared about the false murder charge, in my opinion.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
Well is that really any different than someone who runs a bicyclist over because they were texting while driving?

You can argue about the sentence length relative to the level of negligence and the amount of life the person sacrificed, all day, for all kinds of stupid deaths caused by another person.

If he was killed by an illegal immigrant, MSGopher23 wouldn’t be posting about it.

Deleted_User

Reaction score

"false murder charge" Now that is an accusation that implies slander against the prosecutor. I believe she was charged and a jury heard the case and was properly advised by 3 qualified lawyers during the case. And, you bring this up after the trial? Wow.

Deleted_User

Reaction score
By the way, one day after sentencing and a witness was shot multiple times in his new apartment parking lot. Somebody took revenge for the white cop being sentenced. I suspect a racial component to this murder.

howeda7

Reaction score
By the way, one day after sentencing and a witness was shot multiple times in his new apartment parking lot. Somebody took revenge for the white cop being sentenced. I suspect a racial component to this murder.
Shot in the mouth no less. Certainly seems unlikely to be a coincidence.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Shot in the mouth no less. Certainly seems unlikely to be a coincidence.
OK. Let’s say that someone took revenge on the person for testifying against her.

What does that have to do with that she did not pre-plan out the execution of this guy? That’s the only way it could’ve been murder, in my book. That’s what murder is. It’s worse than a terrible, horrible mistake (which can and should still be punished).

Top Bottom