Congress Is on the Verge of Passing Multi-Year Extensions for Solar and Wind Tax Cred

diehard

Reaction score
I might put the new solar on my gym/pool house. I wonder if the new film can be retrofitted to the old panels.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
The rich get richer!

I'm not necessarily against this, but I do find it entertaining that Democrats run on the platform of closing the wealth gap. Then they insist that multi-billion dollar utilities must receive government subsidies for renewable energy.

Dr.Don

Reaction score
That's good news for my daughter's family here in the middle of somewhere. We are totally off grid, and rely on portable generators for electricity, and propane for portable heaters.

BTW, if I read it right, Repubs are aggreeable to this also.

UpnorthGo4

Science Denial Denier
Reaction score
Lets say it like it is. Most of the good things that happen in America wouldn't exist without federal government subsidies. We would be a second rate country with third world problems

Sportsfan24

Reaction score
The rich get richer!

I'm not necessarily against this, but I do find it entertaining that Democrats run on the platform of closing the wealth gap. Then they insist that multi-billion dollar utilities must receive government subsidies for renewable energy.
Those subsidies are what has made solar panels affordable. Prices continue to drop, same for electric vehicles. 7 years ago the actual cost for a electric car was over 6 figures. Subsidies,loans and grants to the manufacturer made the cost affordable, which created a demand. If gas prices were more we would really see electric cars take off. As it stands we have seen battery prices drop and mileage increase.

Gopherguy0723

Reaction score
I'm for energy security and the security of our country, so I'm against exporting our oil. Republicans did the bidding of big business, and democrats went along with it for the tax credits. Some would call that a win-win. Others would call that a lose-lose. Me, I say it's a lose-win. Exporting oil is a loser. Subsidizing solar and wind to create further demand to create more investment and efficiency will only speed up the spread of solar across the country and world is a winner. Panels will become that much cheaper and that much more efficient and installation will become that much cheaper because of the greater demand caused by the subsidies. Oil isn't going to make it to 2075. It might not make it to 2050.

Gdizzle

Reaction score
It's hard to say, but with current trends I think the tax credit will no longer be necessary after this extension (should it pass). If it were to expire as planned in 2016, there would be a significant drop-off. Most of the large developers would be okay, but many local companies doing residential and community garden type stuff might not be viable. The plan is to extend the current 30% through 2019 (previously set to expire end of 2016), drop to 26% in 2020, drop to 22% in 2021, and then drop to 10% in 2022 and remain indefinitely.

Deleted_User

Reaction score
Signed up for a community solar garden account. Glad the credit passed. Marvelous developments in energy coming forward.

diehard

Reaction score
The largest solar energy project in the Southeast is going to be my neighbor. The new technology soon to be released (the mega big boys are negotiating projects now on the international level) is unbelievable. It just one breakthrough either. Even nighttime collection is going to be a reality. We also have a another huge green project coming in Food and energy. Times have on the cusp of huge changes. Even the fraudulent concerns of CO2 will be negated and that is why there is this latest desperate push on phony AGW.

diehard

Reaction score
Ryan-Boehner. No difference. The US Chamber of Commerce owns them, not their constituency.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
Those subsidies are what has made solar panels affordable. Prices continue to drop, same for electric vehicles. 7 years ago the actual cost for a electric car was over 6 figures. Subsidies,loans and grants to the manufacturer made the cost affordable, which created a demand. If gas prices were more we would really see electric cars take off. As it stands we have seen battery prices drop and mileage increase.
I'm all for the government supporting better technology regarding renewable energy, especially on a small/household level. Subsidies for solar panels on homes, small wind turbines on farms, geothermal etc. is great.

My gripe is how much money the government continues to give to large utilities such as Xcel. Wind for example, 2.3 cents per KW doesn't sound like much until you realize how much generation some of these utilities own/operate. The extension of this credit continues to line the pockets of multi-billion dollar utilities to the tune of several hundred million per year.

Sportsfan24

Reaction score
I'm all for the government supporting better technology regarding renewable energy, especially on a small/household level. Subsidies for solar panels on homes, small wind turbines on farms, geothermal etc. is great.

My gripe is how much money the government continues to give to large utilities such as Xcel. Wind for example, 2.3 cents per KW doesn't sound like much until you realize how much generation some of these utilities own/operate. The extension of this credit continues to line the pockets of multi-billion dollar utilities to the tune of several hundred million per year.
Couple of things. PUC determines how much revenue Xcel can make. There is a cap on how much they can make, none on how much they can lose.

The other is by law Xcel can not move one dime of that money to its shareholders. It goes back into the wind and solar programs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diehard

Reaction score
All subsidies are bad law, but of the bad laws these one is far from the worst.

Section2

Reaction score
I'm for energy security and the security of our country, so I'm against exporting our oil. Republicans did the bidding of big business, and democrats went along with it for the tax credits. Some would call that a win-win. Others would call that a lose-lose. Me, I say it's a lose-win. Exporting oil is a loser. Subsidizing solar and wind to create further demand to create more investment and efficiency will only speed up the spread of solar across the country and world is a winner. Panels will become that much cheaper and that much more efficient and installation will become that much cheaper because of the greater demand caused by the subsidies. Oil isn't going to make it to 2075. It might not make it to 2050.
Ugh. This is all wrong.

Top Bottom