- Aug 18, 2013
- Reaction score
If you want to let every team have 2 more weeks of practice, fine. But no more "bowl" games. Enough crappy ones already. And with no tv money, no site would host it. Can't see it ever happening.In addition to the above, I'd like to see all FBS teams get a bowl game. There are around 35 bowl games right now, meaning 70 get to play. There are something like 130 FBS teams, meaning in the current set up 60 do not get to play in a bowl. In helping the lower-level teams, I'd give them a bowl as well. Note this gives them that extra two to three weeks of practice. Here's how it'd be done:
Probably little TV coverage, and no pomp and circumstance, and not a big pay day from some bowl sponsor, but they get to play in a bowl game and get that extra practice which goes a ways to keeping the lower half of the teams somewhat competitive in the overall landscape.
- After the 70 bowl invites are given, you know the remaining 60 teams.
- Those 60 teams decide if they want to play in the "ranked bowl" or to pack it up and call it a season.
- For those that do, there's a lot of ways to rank them. Pick one algorithm and rank the "non-bowl selected" teams from 71 to 130.
- The top of the list, which is the 71st team, then plays the next highest rated team on the list that's not in their conference, and you keep going down the list till you get to the end.
- The two teams figure out on their own where to play (e.g., a coin flip, travel to the warmer climate, etc.) and get their choice of two weekends in which to hold the game.
I believe that your most correct point is that there needs to be objective criteria for being in at the start of the year that is achievable for Any team in the division.I think the playoff either needs to admit all undefeated teams (P5 or non P5), or P5 schools should not be allowed to count games against non P5 (or FCS for that matter) schools for their 6 to get to bowl eligibility. If a conference is so weak that winning 100% of your games does not get you into the playoff, then that conference is effectively a lower division, and those games shouldn't count. My preference is for a playoff that allows all conference champs a spot.