Civility

KD6-3.7

credulous skeptic
Reaction score
Apparently there are people on the right calling for it and people on the left who believe it is optional.

I couldn’t care less about Maxine Waters’ comments. I couldn’t care less about the president’s tweets. But do we really want to usher in a post-civility America?

Imagine this place if the last shreds of civility are thrust aside.

cncmin

Reaction score
Apparently there are people on the left and right calling for it and people on the left and right who believe it is optional.

I couldn’t care less about Maxine Waters’ comments. I couldn’t care less about the president’s tweets. (yeah, I know, this is weird considering my post, and I know I really should care, but whatevs....) But do we really want to usher in a post-civility America?

FIFY.

I ask you, what will you do, BTC1899, to rectify our lack of civility? If this is mainly politically in nature, then where do you feel the lack of civility in politics began? What is the seed of the current discourse, in your personal opinion? In what way do you feel it is rectifiable?

KD6-3.7

credulous skeptic
Reaction score
I agree with your bolded corrections in the first sentence. I’m not sure understand the bolded in the second paragraph. I didn’t mean to make it sound like I thought one side was civil and the other was not.

As for your questions, I dunno. I think both sides are uncivil. I’m just not used to the left saying “**** civility”.

I guess I should point out that I am referring to the specific trends I have been seeing on Twitter surrounding Maxine Waters making comments about public acts of incivility

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
Maxine Waters' statements were awful. I can't stand her. I wish she was not in elected office.

I do find it pathetic though that the Radical Right now wants civility, and are completely giving a pass to Thy Dear Leader's actions and words over the past 3-5 years.

cncmin

Reaction score
I agree with your bolded corrections in the first sentence. I’m not sure understand the bolded in the second paragraph. I didn’t mean to make it sound like I thought one side was civil and the other was not.

As for your questions, I dunno. I think both sides are uncivil. I’m just not used to the left saying “**** civility”.

I guess I should point out that I am referring to the specific trends I have been seeing on Twitter surrounding Maxine Waters making comments about public acts of incivility
Sorry for the confusion, I chuckled when I saw that you are opening a new thread on civility and then saying you don't care about clear cases of significant incivility. :)

I do NOT like the incivility, from either side, and it does us very-difficult-to-repair harm. Maxine Waters is way out of line here and I am pretty disgusted by her statements. So that said, what I believe you are seeing is a quite natural human reaction to a situation of powerful bullying. It is inevitable that a certain statistical portion of the populace feeling bullied will, at different times and in different situations, want to fight back. I believe that is what we are seeing. Certain actions are promoting bad reactions. And those bad reactions are causing bad reactions to the bad reactions.

How do I think it needs to be rectified? (1) Stop the bullying at the top. (2) Act civil at the top (not just the POTUS, but all of those in power). Demand civility and promote it by example. Demand respect of others and promote it by example. The rest will eventually take care of itself.

justthefacts

Reaction score
It's a pretty fine line between civil and politically correct

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
Watch the Radical Right and their civility. Listen to the words she uses. I wonder where she got these words and names she calls this man.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Cruze

Reaction score
Apparently there are people on the right calling for it and people on the left who believe it is optional.

I couldn’t care less about Maxine Waters’ comments. I couldn’t care less about the president’s tweets. But do we really want to usher in a post-civility America?

Too late. The Trumpster has used his natural incivility to: motivate his extreme right wing political base; browbeat and humiliate Republican politicians into submission; defame Democratic politicians; alienate America's allies; and threaten to annihilate America's ideological enemies. There is no chance for the return of civility in the world until the Trumpster is gone. You are invited to join civil people everywhere in America to try and make that happen. Your country needs you.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
Watch the Radical Right and their civility. Listen to the words she uses. I wonder where she got these words and names she calls this man.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Who the heck are these people? You guys are desperate that you have to dig up two unknowns arguing over who knows what.

We’re talking about members of Congress urging people to verbally assault govt officials. Interns yelling F you to the President. Prominent Liberals, like DeNiro, Fonda, and Jim Carey, suggesting horrible things be done to the President’s and President’s Cabinet/staff families. Liberal protesters in the face of the Florida AG.

We all know their a knuckleheads on both sides. That’s always been true and videos like the above will always be available. Threats to govt officials is not normal.

justthefacts

Reaction score
Yes, the era of civility is over. On Twitter alone one elected official has said this of Republicans:

- Called them "wacky" "a real nut job" "mental basket case" "crying" "failing"
- Called them "a clown" "dummy" "not very bright" "neurotic"
- Called them "low energy" "total disaster" "weak" "pathetic" "basket case"
- Called them "a total mess" "stupid" "suicidal"
- Called them "incompetent" "Liddle" "a fool" "strange"
- Called them "liar" "a nervous wreck"
- Called them "crazy" "sick" "bimbo"
- Called them "dummy" "total failure"
- Called them "dumb mouthpiece"
- Called them "a major sleaze and a buffoon"
- Called them "clown" "a dumb guy" "a zero"
- Called them "sick" "loser" "dummy" "flunky" "dope" "total fool" "clown" "moron"
- Called them "a joke" "lightweight" "phony" "choker" "a little boy"

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score

It takes a lot of gall to be calling for civility after the last year and a half of what Trump and his staff, media and supporters have been saying and doing. What in the name of ****hole countries is going on here? It's clear that the bully doesn't like getting his nose busted.

justthefacts

Reaction score
I'm worried that if things continue down this path soon candidates will suggest that 2nd Amendment people can intervene if their opponent gets elected.

diehard

Reaction score
As an expert in plain text incivility I have to note that I can not compete with the loony left. You guys are actual pros.

justthefacts

Reaction score

jamiche

Reaction score
As an expert in plain text incivility I have to note that I can not compete with the loony left. You guys are actual pros.
Some of us on the board are trying to help you.

Unregistered User

Wild animal with a keyboard
Reaction score
Here we go again: As Trump administration policies become ever more intemperate and inhumane, critics of those policies are being counseled to become more “civil” in their criticisms.

This is an old pattern and a discreditable (and discredited) one. The idea seems to be that if the critics would just air their views politely and tactfully, their targets would suddenly awaken to the error of their ways. All Americans would then march hand-in-hand toward a nirvana of permanent comity.

The truth is that, as urged upon critics by their targets, pleas for “civility” are a fraud. As aired by members of the critical camp themselves, the pleas are a trap. More often than not, the result is to blunt the impact of the critique and enfeeble the opposition. That is, of course, what the targets hope for.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-civility-20180625-story.html

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
Here we go again: As Trump administration policies become ever more intemperate and inhumane, critics of those policies are being counseled to become more “civil” in their criticisms.

This is an old pattern and a discreditable (and discredited) one. The idea seems to be that if the critics would just air their views politely and tactfully, their targets would suddenly awaken to the error of their ways. All Americans would then march hand-in-hand toward a nirvana of permanent comity.

The truth is that, as urged upon critics by their targets, pleas for “civility” are a fraud. As aired by members of the critical camp themselves, the pleas are a trap. More often than not, the result is to blunt the impact of the critique and enfeeble the opposition. That is, of course, what the targets hope for.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-civility-20180625-story.html
In other words, a tactic of psychological warfare.

Or to put it another way, as the Right is clutching their pearls about harsh words, their agents are caging children.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score

GopherJake

Reaction score
I would argue that by not caring about those things, you help to usher it in. So, maybe the question is one for you to answer.

Texas-Gopher

Reaction score

I've read about comments directed at George Washington which were pretty harsh. I don't think politics has ever been civil in America. Isn't that how we ended up with all the balance of power stuff that we have?

diehard

Reaction score
In other words, a tactic of psychological warfare.

Or to put it another way, as the Right is clutching their pearls about harsh words, their agents are caging children.
Talk about ignorant. The pictures of the caged children were Obama transgressions in 2014. You know that, you are just being untruthful.

howeda7

Reaction score

Wow.

howeda7

Reaction score
I've read about comments directed at George Washington which were pretty harsh. I don't think politics has ever been civil in America. Isn't that how we ended up with all the balance of power stuff that we have?
One Congressman once beat another with his cane right in the chamber, IIRC. And a couple others challenged each other to a duel. Nothing is new. Doesn't make it less disturbing.

diehard

Reaction score

If you build bridges with the far right and the MN DOT is in charge, you'll need to be the ones crossing them. Good luck.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score

KD6-3.7

credulous skeptic
Reaction score
I would argue that by not caring about those things, you help to usher it in. So, maybe the question is one for you to answer.
What’s “it” exactly? Incivility?

This is the extent that I care about civility: I fill my life with people who are able to act civilly, people who are capable of have reasoned and polite conversation. I don’t waste my time on people who don’t. I don’t get riled up when politicians and partisans become uncivil.

I think there is a burgeoning pathology that exists because of the internet, social media and instant gratification. That is, people tend to live their lives centered more and more on things they can’t control rather than the things they can. Instead of getting high off of outrage, do something nice in your community. Sure, have your ideals, but realize that if we all spent more time having a positive impact on the circles of real life in which we run, the bigger things will seem less important.

Top Bottom