Chris Streveler may get the start

Some guy

Reaction score
I couldn’t find former gophers in the nfl thread

kyler Murray is hurt

fmlizard

Reaction score
If you told me years ago Chris Streveler would be the first former Gopher to start a NFL game at QB since Spergon Wynn, I would have laughed you out of the room. Jerry Kill nearly refused to let him throw the ball, and we almost won a game without a completed pass.

Good for him, and good luck! Who was the last Gopher QB who started a game for the U and also for an NFL team??

HitMeAgainIAmStillMoving

Reaction score
If you told me years ago Chris Streveler would be the first former Gopher to start a NFL game at QB since Spergon Wynn, I would have laughed you out of the room. Jerry Kill nearly refused to let him throw the ball, and we almost won a game without a completed pass.

Good for him, and good luck! Who was the last Gopher QB who started a game for the U and also for an NFL team??
Spergon was a deep pull. I had to look that up.

hungan1

Reaction score
Kill's Offense is run heavy RUTM. He failed at developing the Passing Offense. He needed an Offensive Coordinator who can open up the game and develop QBs. Streveler would have a different trajectory as a Gopher IMHO.

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
Kill's Offense is run heavy RUTM. He failed at developing the Passing Offense. He needed an Offensive Coordinator who can open up the game and develop QBs. Streveler would have a different trajectory as a Gopher IMHO.
The odd thing about Streveler not getting a chance is that he was a perfect fit. He was really fast and would have been perfect in that offense. It was odd he never got the chance.

hungan1

Reaction score
The odd thing about Streveler not getting a chance is that he was a perfect fit. He was really fast and would have been perfect in that offense. It was odd he never got the chance.
Limegrover should have exclusively coached the OL, and Kill should have hired an OC.

Last edited:

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
Limegrover should have exclusively coached the OL and Kill should have hired an OC.
Yeah, I mean, I wasn't a huge fan of Limegrover's offense but he didn't have a ton of weapons. Leidner wasn't the most accurate guy in the world we didn't have many playmakers in the receiving group. I'm just not sure where the offense was supposed to come from. I remember at that time people were asking for additional wrinkles but that can be really tough when aren't worried about the field being stretched. This isn't to defend Limegrover, it's just really hard to be innovative when the opponent's defense is not worried about getting beat by our wide outs.

hungan1

Reaction score
Yeah, I mean, I wasn't a huge fan of Limegrover's offense but he didn't have a ton of weapons. Leidner wasn't the most accurate guy in the world we didn't have many playmakers in the receiving group. I'm just not sure where the offense was supposed to come from. I remember at that time people were asking for additional wrinkles but that can be really tough when aren't worried about the field being stretched. This isn't to defend Limegrover, it's just really hard to be innovative when the opponent's defense is not worried about getting beat by our wide outs.
Kill was very loyal to his coaches. You need to embrace change when it becomes necessary. You have to start someplace. It would have taken rebuilding years. But, you wont attract QBs unless your Offense offers a dynamic scheme. They are going to fail along the way. But, in two or three years it will pay dividends.

holereader

Reaction score

Mike Hohensee

die hard gopher

Reaction score
Sounds like Kyler will get the start. Kingsburry said he was “hopeful” Kyler would start and Tom Plelisero said he heard the injury was minor.

Herd

Reaction score
The gophers were a running team that ran the QB with Kill, and Streveler still didn’t get an opportunity. He can thank the Coyotes for his success and QB development.

Sodaksam

Reaction score
Streveler took the USD Coyotes to the FCS playoffs a couple times. He was a helluva competitor And tough. No doubt he would’ve been the Gophers best QB a few years ago.

60's Guy

Reaction score
Leidner was pretty good...injuries made him less effective as a runner. Wasn’t gonna happen but the competition of Nelson, Streveler and Leidner battling for playing time at QB could have made us much better offensively.
PJ didn’t want Seth Green throwing the ball and Jerry didn’t like the way Streveler threw the ball. Coaches chart the destiny for lots of players.

st.paultransplantGOPHER

Reaction score
Leidner was pretty good...injuries made him less effective as a runner. Wasn’t gonna happen but the competition of Nelson, Streveler and Leidner battling for playing time at QB could have made us much better offensively.
PJ didn’t want Seth Green throwing the ball and Jerry didn’t like the way Streveler threw the ball. Coaches chart the destiny for lots of players.
Leidner was horrible. Terrible

stocker08

Reaction score
The gophers were a running team that ran the QB with Kill, and Streveler still didn’t get an opportunity. He can thank the Coyotes for his success and QB development.
A running team doesn't mean a triple option team.

Streveler took the USD Coyotes to the FCS playoffs a couple times. He was a helluva competitor And tough. No doubt he would’ve been the Gophers best QB a few years ago.
Streveler did great for himself.....in the FCS. But it wouldn't have worked in the Big Ten.

Top Bottom