Chloroquine

bga1

Reaction score
Interesting study shows that this readily available and cheap anti- malarial drug could cure corona virus. Interesting. Just saw this on Fox.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
Just saw this on Fox...snort..chortle...guffaw!

mplarson7

Reaction score
Nasty medication though, lots of side effects.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
For some odd reason, I now imagine that you look like Jude Law.

Are you sure the cure is not called forsythia?

USAF

Reaction score
Interesting study shows that this readily available and cheap anti- malarial drug could cure corona virus. Interesting. Just saw this on Fox.
It's a national emergency. You should be watching a news channel.

diehard

Reaction score
It's your profession. Aren't there any doctors at your hospital on top of this? How many covid 19 patients do you have?

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
It's your profession. Aren't there any doctors at your hospital on top of this? How many covid 19 patients do you have?
Like I said, I haven't heard anything about it. That's why I asked for a link to this study beeg is talking about.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
Like I said, I haven't heard anything about it. That's why I asked for a link to this study beeg is talking about.
From a quick Google search, there are a few research studies that have been done on COVID-19. Studies from China, France, and Australia are noted. All noted efficacy against the virus. One of the researchers from France is the one bga is referring to. They are proposing are larger scale study. They believe that chloroquine may be effective prophylactically though little is known, and why they are proposing a larger scale study.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
From a quick Google search, there are a few research studies that have been done on COVID-19. Studies from China, France, and Australia are noted. All noted efficacy against the virus. One of the researchers from France is the one bga is referring to. They are proposing are larger scale study. They believe that chloroquine may be effective prophylactically though little is known, and why they are proposing a larger scale study.
When I google it all I get is Elon Musk pitching it on twitter. Would love to see these studies.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
When I google it all I get is Elon Musk pitching it on twitter. Would love to see these studies.
Here’s a mixture of Abstracts and articles. I didn’t attempt to get access to the full study on one of them. I figured it required a subscription.
Didn’t take time to review, just posting for you if helpful.

Proposed:

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the links KGF. As I suspected in a lot of these cases chloroquine is being combined with other anti virals. It is cheap and readily available so it would be interesting to see an actual study done on it. The protease inhibitors seem to be really really promising currently and thats what a lot of your links combined with chloroquine.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Here’s a mixture of Abstracts and articles. I didn’t attempt to get access to the full study on one of them. I figured it required a subscription.
Didn’t take time to review, just posting for you if helpful.

Proposed:
Thanks, KGF, for posting these. And thanks to bga1 for starting the thread.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Answering my own question: yes, it is. See below

http://www.startribune.com/university-of-minnesota-to-test-three-drugs-for-covid-patients/568766632/

"
University of Minnesota to test three drugs for COVID-19 patients
Minnesota’s remdesivir study is one of three randomized controlled clinical trials announced by the U’s Medical School on Friday that will use existing drugs to try to treat people who have been exposed to COVID-19. Though vaccine research is underway, vaccines typically take months or years to develop, and efforts to speed the entry of a COVID-19 vaccine to the market have sparked concerns among some scientists.
One of the three clinical trials at the U will focus on the health of people who have been exposed to someone such as a family member or sick patient but don’t have any symptoms. People in this group don’t know if they’re positive for the virus, and they can’t get a fast answer because it takes several days to get the results.

Tolar said this “post-exposure prophylaxis” trial will randomize patients to get either the malaria drug chloroquine or a placebo. The Medical School is supplying funding to start the trial enrollment, but an application to the National Institutes of Health is being developed to provide full funding. Patients are expected to apply for that trial themselves.
The second randomized trial will test the high blood pressure drug losartan on patients who test positive for the virus but whose symptoms are mild enough that they’re told to go home and recover instead of going to the hospital, Tolar said.

"

MplsGopher

Reaction score
The above STrib article also provided a link re: concerns among scientists. Here it is.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...te-risks-of-accelerated-testing-idUSKBN20Y1GZ

"
As pressure for coronavirus vaccine mounts, scientists debate risks of accelerated testing
Studies have suggested that coronavirus vaccines carry the risk of what is known as vaccine enhancement, where instead of protecting against infection, the vaccine can actually make the disease worse when a vaccinated person is infected with the virus. The mechanism that causes that risk is not fully understood and is one of the stumbling blocks that has prevented the successful development of a coronavirus vaccine.

Normally, researchers would take months to test for the possibility of vaccine enhancement in animals. Given the urgency to stem the spread of the new coronavirus, some drugmakers are moving straight into small-scale human tests, without waiting for the completion of such animal tests.

“I understand the importance of accelerating timelines for vaccines in general, but from everything I know, this is not the vaccine to be doing it with,” Dr Peter Hotez, dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine, told Reuters.

"

kellyleeks

GH Hall of Fame '10
Reaction score
The above STrib article also provided a link re: concerns among scientists. Here it is.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...te-risks-of-accelerated-testing-idUSKBN20Y1GZ

"
As pressure for coronavirus vaccine mounts, scientists debate risks of accelerated testing
Studies have suggested that coronavirus vaccines carry the risk of what is known as vaccine enhancement, where instead of protecting against infection, the vaccine can actually make the disease worse when a vaccinated person is infected with the virus. The mechanism that causes that risk is not fully understood and is one of the stumbling blocks that has prevented the successful development of a coronavirus vaccine.

Normally, researchers would take months to test for the possibility of vaccine enhancement in animals. Given the urgency to stem the spread of the new coronavirus, some drugmakers are moving straight into small-scale human tests, without waiting for the completion of such animal tests.

“I understand the importance of accelerating timelines for vaccines in general, but from everything I know, this is not the vaccine to be doing it with,” Dr Peter Hotez, dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine, told Reuters.

"
That’s a good article. Within the article there’s conversation about the human safety trials to be run in parallel with animal testing. Not the standard, but also supported by (some) researchers and physicians. Often times there are different views on clinical trial design. Heck, Moderna’s approach to this vaccine is one that has never been seen before (and in bizarre times could become the first drug approved in the Flagship family......)

Dr. Hotez is well respected and intelligent. I’m not disagreeing with him, rather just pointing out that other experts have opinions that may differ slightly.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
Dr Fauci said he’s been asked to examine the chloroquine possibilities. He cautioned that some of the studies were not controlled (I believe one was), and he tempered enthusiasm about the limited research. But, he is going to investigate further.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
^^^ isn't it cute that KFG has picked Fauci to be his new messiah, in this crises. Whatever this one, singular man says, must be the end all, be all.

Yes he is a top expert, yes his opinion is very important. But so are a lot of other peoples' opinions.

If ever there is a time to put down your silly fear of pluralism, now is it.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
^^^ isn't it cute that KFG has picked Fauci to be his new messiah, in this crises. Whatever this one, singular man says, must be the end all, be all.

Yes he is a top expert, yes his opinion is very important. But so are a lot of other peoples' opinions.

If ever there is a time to put down your silly fear of pluralism, now is it.
Oh, so now Dr. Fauci is suspect? This is classic Gopher4life...I mean MnplsGopher...I mean MplsGopher.

He is Trump’s righthand man in the fight against COVID-19. Nobody is saying that he is infallible or a ”messiah”. But you have to have decisive leadership and a basic philosophy of how to combat the issue. It’s fine to question whether his decisions are the best solutions. It occurs everyday.

But I don’t want to be led by a bunch of self-appointed, over-the-shoulder, second guesser “experts”. That’s why you have one head coach, one CEO, one mayor, etc.

howie, do you want to come to your lil’ buddy’s defense on this?

Top Bottom