can we have a discussion about cursing?

tikited

Me
Reaction score
I don't think it's usually ignorant, or vulgar so much as just a lazy and boring way to talk. If you use curse words all the time, they lose all potency. Be creative. Thug Kitchen quickly took a dive when the stchick got old.
LOL, I completely agree.

tikited

Me
Reaction score
Profanity is ignorance made audible—-Irish proverb
Doesn't change the "fact" that the F word is the best word ever. It can describe just about anything and any emotion. Can't beat it. I'm very, very careful to rarely use it though.

stocker08

Reaction score
I specifically don't swear on purpose. Some people can see that I'm doing it intentionally. Stupid people can not. Yelling "dang" or "darn"? "Holy smokes!" "What the fark?" "Who gives a snot."

I like to gauge people's reactions to these.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
It bothers me when adults swear, often loudly, in front of my kids. There are a lot of poorly educated people who share the same grocery store, Target, gas station, etc. as we do.
Yep.

Every generation has that moment they discover forbidden words, and they try them out for size. The stupid ones assume that they are the first to discover their power. Look at me! I'm edgy and unafraid!

It is like smoking cigarettes--the youth looks in the mirror and sees a fierce grown up, the adult says there goes somebody who probably makes a lot of bad choices.

bigtenchamps1899

credulous skeptic
Reaction score
Yep.

Every generation has that moment they discover forbidden words, and they try them out for size. The stupid ones assume that they are the first to discover their power. Look at me! I'm edgy and unafraid!

It is like smoking cigarettes--the youth looks in the mirror and sees a fierce grown up, the adult says there goes somebody who probably makes a lot of bad choices.
but they’re not really forbidden.

the only place they’re forbidden is on this message board

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
but they’re not really forbidden.

the only place they’re forbidden is on this message board
Could be a generational thing. I still find the need to use capital letters and punctuation on this board, you've shed that urge.

Gdizzle

Reaction score
Could be a generational thing. I still find the need to use capital letters and punctuation on this board, you've shed that urge.
It's dangerous to make a post about grammar with that sentence fragment, and those two independent clauses with no coordinating conjunction. :cool:

Winnipegopher

Wag more, bark less
Reaction score
are people really reading over your shoulder ?
Me? No, I have an office but I am sure lots of others have less privacy. That said, I would trade adding swear words if we could get rid of the big Gopherhole logo in the top left.

Luckily work strips out the ads for the gay cruises that I get at home.

You guys all get those ads right? Right?

diehard

Reaction score
Me? No, I have an office but I am sure lots of others have less privacy. That said, I would trade adding swear words if we could get rid of the big Gopherhole logo in the top left.

Luckily work strips out the ads for the gay cruises that I get at home.

You guys all get those ads right? Right?
hmmm... Mostly ads for Russian hookers.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
I usually only swear when I'm very happy (like when Wolitarsky appeared to score the game winning TD against Michigan) or when I'm mad (the next two plays). I've never understood people who constantly swear just for the sake of it. Like the swearing serves no purpose. I also feel like if I did it a lot when just talking with my buddies, it'll accidentally slip out at inappropriate times.

kellyleeks

GH Hall of Fame '10
Reaction score
I once started a thread on when the n-word is appropriate and by whom. It was deleted within an hour. I guess these mods would ban books if they could.

I’m fine with swearing, but wouldn’t do it in front of or towards children. If an adult is really offended by swear words they’ve missed a lot of great movies and tv shows.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
Doesn't change the "fact" that the F word is the best word ever. It can describe just about anything and any emotion. Can't beat it. I'm very, very careful to rarely use it though.
F*ck’n A ! (y)

MplsGopher

Reaction score
You're right. The big Momma screaming the N word & F word at her 5 y/o in line at Aldi, is probably a Mensa member.
That's what you get for shopping at Aldi.

Horrible store, hawking mostly crap food. Rude checker. Stupid-a__ quarter for a cart thing.

Most definitely won't go back. Tried it, fine. Hate the concept.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
did the new board come with looser cursing regulations?
I have seen some pretty vulgar words used (C sucker, for example) that no longer get the auto-*** treatment. Probably one of the very few downgrades of the new board.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
I have seen some pretty vulgar words used (C sucker, for example) that no longer get the auto-*** treatment. Probably one of the very few downgrades of the new board.
I have a seersucker suit. I just get a thrill out of saying that.

cncmin

Reaction score
The place I despise cursing is in released music. Not only is it usually unnecessary, it makes one uncomfortable when playing the song around others (especially kids). Cursing is all over satellite radio, and in a lot of songs that make you just wonder why.

Oh. And in church. Da** heathens!

Dean S

Reaction score

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
I think most know that me and CRG couldn’t agree on the spelling of ketchup. But you youngsters who think that you are setting the new stage for what is profane and what is not, let me babysit your five year olds when you have them. When their Mom hears the polysyllabic term of affection for her remind her that prohibiting swearing is just OK boomer.

jamiche

Reaction score
My wife and I are part of a dinner group that meets about quarterly. I don't particularly like the group and they aren't people we hang out with outside of these gatherings. My wife does enjoy the group which means that, short of a last minute appendectomy, we attend. There's one woman in the group who is very, very proper. Therefore, for my own personal amusement, I have to say "f**k" once during the evening just to watch her turn pale and see spittle form on the sides of her mouth. We always have a good laugh about it on the way home.

Swearing can have value.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
My wife and I both work in the construction industry, so that's always been my excuse for my/our sometimes poor language. I mean let's face it, the "f" word is just about the most functional word in the English language. It can be used dozens of different ways.

And like jammer, there are definitely times and places where it can have a nice effect on your intended audience.

MennoSota

Reaction score
I specifically don't swear on purpose. Some people can see that I'm doing it intentionally. Stupid people can not. Yelling "dang" or "darn"? "Holy smokes!" "What the fark?" "Who gives a snot."

I like to gauge people's reactions to these.
Rat Farts

OldBob53

Reaction score
There are some abusive posters around here, including those bearing elite emblems, who hurl obscenities and the like at fellow Gopherholers.

They seem embittered by the losing cards fate has dealt them.

kellyleeks

GH Hall of Fame '10
Reaction score
So, if I came out as gay, I could be banned? Okay. I declare myself a devout heterosexual. There. I said it. I took a stand.
I still call guys f@ggot or g@y when needed. Real men understand that this is the worst insult. Too bad that the LQBTQ community has stolen this. To steal from Dave Chapelle, they somehow got 20% of the alphabet.

Dean S

Reaction score
I still call guys f@ggot or g@y when needed. Real men understand that this is the worst insult. Too bad that the LQBTQ community has stolen this. To steal from Dave Chapelle, they somehow got 20% of the alphabet.
Well, if I get the other 80% with the vowels, I win. You can't speak without the vowels or all you have is grunts and groans. 'Fck y' is not quite as effective as the real deal.

Top Bottom