can we have a discussion about cursing?

bigtenchamps1899

credulous skeptic
is anyone really bothered by seeing a curse word written in a thread here? does four **** make anyone feel better about the language being used?

bottlebass

Main Member
Maybe it's just my generation but I'm more laxed with swearing. I don't care if people do and I do it myself quite often. Even here I just use a different letter so that it doesn't get ****'d out for example d@mn. If someone has a problem with seeing swear words they need to grow up. With that said GH has the rule and if a mod ever said anything to me about it I'd stop using them. It's their rules.

bigtenchamps1899

credulous skeptic
Maybe it's just my generation but I'm more laxed with swearing. I don't care if people do and I do it myself quite often. Even here I just use a different letter so that it doesn't get ****'d out for example d@mn. If someone has a problem with seeing swear words they need to grow up. With that said GH has the rule and if a mod ever said anything to me about it I'd stop using them. It's their rules.
where would i find the forum rules? cuz i've never seen them. you'd think if people are getting banned, the rules would be written in a prominent place.

bottlebass

Main Member
where would i find the forum rules? cuz i've never seen them. you'd think if people are getting banned, the rules would be written in a prominent place.
That is a good question, I fee like I've seen them before but don't know where to find them now. Maybe it was when you signed up for an account there was a box you had to check saying you read the forum rules? Or maybe i'm just assuming it's against the rules since they all get ***'d out? :confused:

monk10

Golden Gopher
I swear. Some of my friends don't. Some don't because they like the discipline of it (a.k.a they don't care about others just like the process of it for them), others feel like it is bad and those people do give me the look when I curse. :D.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
My excuse has always been that I work in the construction industry. Weak, maybe, but I swear often. Mrs. Ogee works in the same field, often on the same projects, and she swears too (not as much as me).

short ornery norwegian

I have tried using substitutes - like "monkey vomit" or "dog milk" - but they just don't work like the real thing.

True Story - I was fired from a radio job in Platteville, Wisconsin in '92. One of the reasons they gave for firing me was "excessive use of profanity."

Now, to be clear, I was generally not swearing at other people. we had an old, piece of dung automation system on our FM Station that was always breaking down. And I would say things like "I should take this bleeping pile of bleep and throw it in the bleeping river." Or words to that effect.

And - in my defense, I was named the "employee of the month" about 3 months before I was fired, so things must have gotten really bad in a hurry. Or they were looking for a reason to get rid of me.

I landed on my feet. Found a job in Iowa that I liked better.

bigtenchamps1899

credulous skeptic
That is a good question, I fee like I've seen them before but don't know where to find them now. Maybe it was when you signed up for an account there was a box you had to check saying you read the forum rules? Or maybe i'm just assuming it's against the rules since they all get ***'d out? :confused:
found it. it is at the bottom of the forum http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/misc.php?do=showrules

"By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws."

who decides what is vulgar?

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
It bothers me when adults swear, often loudly, in front of my kids. There are a lot of poorly educated people who share the same grocery store, Target, gas station, etc. as we do.

Gdizzle

I don't think it's usually ignorant, or vulgar so much as just a lazy and boring way to talk. If you use curse words all the time, they lose all potency. Be creative. Thug Kitchen quickly took a dive when the stchick got old.

bigtenchamps1899

credulous skeptic
this is not the discussion that i had in mind, but. people who don't swear tend to find ways to defend their habit against the people who do. they feel like they have to come up with high sounding reasons for not swearing because it is cool to swear and not cool to be a prude. people who do swear tend to think that swearing makes them look cooler than they think it does and they come down with mild persecution complex when people who don't swear talk about not swearing or prefer when people do not swear around them.

the discussion that i wanted to have is the meaning of vulgarity and obscenity.

this is the minnesota statute for disorderly conduct:

09.72 DISORDERLY CONDUCT.
§Subdivision 1.Crime. Whoever does any of the following in a public or private place, including on a school bus, knowing, or having reasonable grounds to know that it will, or will tend to, alarm, anger or disturb others or provoke an assault or breach of the peace, is guilty of disorderly conduct, which is a misdemeanor:

(3) engages in offensive, obscene, abusive, boisterous, or noisy conduct or in offensive, obscene, or abusive language tending reasonably to arouse alarm, anger, or resentment in others.

the key phrase being reasonably. who decides what is reasonable? does anyone know what standard of reasonableness the shadowy moderators of the gopherhole use?

monk10

Golden Gopher
in a group setting where someone is paying to host a site and they tell me swearing is vulgar I tend not to argue with them, since you know they are paying to create the meet up place. I am always amazed at how many people want to come in and **** all over someone's place and then be offended that they got their snowflake ass kicked the **** out.

Winnipegopher

Wag more, bark less
I swear but not a lot.

As for the forum, what does swearing add? Actually add?

I look at Gopherhole at work, I don't need someone reading a profanity laced tirade over my shoulder.

Top Bottom