Call for Unity

RememberMurray

Reaction score
I think back to a guy I saw at the state fair a couple years ago. He was wearing a Trump shirt that said “Fuck your feelings.” There’s no reasoning with these people, nor is there any need to play nice. Fuck ‘em.
What goes around, comes around.

Karma is a bitch.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
She nailed it. What would "unity" look like?

— Everyone must, in unison, acknowledge that the election was legitimate, and salute those who stood firm to see to it that a fair election and certification took place — even in the face of blatant lies, threats and attempted intimidation by the President.
— Everyone must, in unison, call out this cowardly terrorism for being exactly what it is, an attack on our democracy.
— Everyone must, in unison, admonish and censure the cynical enablers — Cruz and Hawley and the rest.

No quibbling and double-talk. Speak the truth.

When those things happen, we can begin the healing process. Not before.

Last edited:

ecoperson

Reaction score
You completely missed the mark here. The thread was a general one about the left calling people on the right every filthy name in the book for the last 4 years and now we should all forget that.

A BIG majority of the lefties on this board were/are guilty of that. A LOT of lefties in Congress have been guilty of this as well; check out Maxine Walters recent attack and disgusting verbal barrage on any black that voted for Trump. Pathetic.

You are wrong. Wrong when you say that nobody ever said that every Trump supporter was one of those despicable types. It's been said repeatedly, on CNN, on this board, all across social media.

You're right about considering the source for the most part; the opinion of the children on the board that a lot of us have on Ignore isn't important. I agree with your point there.

Like I said, I have no problem giving Biden the benefit of the doubt, although his 47-year history doesn't exactly offer us much reason for optimism. When compared to just about any other Democratic politician, Biden would be considered a pathetic option by even the most ardent Democrat. I have an open mind, and I hope he can stand up to the lunatic part of the party and govern for the majority of the population. The problem is, nobody in the country (other than Trump) seems to have the stomach or balls to stand up to the extremely small but LOUD and vocal minority that is trying to drive public opinion right now. It's sad that such a small fringe portion is being allowed to threaten, coerce and beat otherwise good reasonable people into submission. It needs to stop, and we should all be united on that.
I happened to stumble across this thread today and see that I had missed your response. I'm sorry but you can't blame an entire group of people for a few flippant comments. I, certainly, have never lumped you or all 45 supporters into one category in any way. The behavior of many people who have self described themselves as ardent supporters of 45 has been deplorable. I don't think that you can deny that last week's actions strongly support that.

There is no justification for this sort of thuggish and unAmerican behavior. I think the spark for all of this was when 45 talked himself and reporters in circles following the Unite the Right incident in Charlottesville in August 2017. Rather than roundly condemning the history of hate that these groups have demonstrated including in the few months previous, 45 gave social legitimacy to the hate groups by the "you also had people that were very fine people on both sides" line. NOBODY in a hate group is a very fine person.

The emboldened far-right have been coming out of the woodwork like roaches ever since. Long festering sentiments of hate for the other, hate for the changes in the world, were fanned that day. These groups now felt that they had 45's support and could openly share and, in some cases, act upon this hate.

All because 45 either shared the same beliefs as the hate groups who had organized the event or, as likely and maybe more disappointedly, because he was afraid of offending this subset of his supporters. THIS is why we are here today worried about what the next week plus will yield for our country.

MennoSota

Reaction score
Right wing talk radio and fox news primarily.
I call bullsh!t on that comment. We have Fox, CNN, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, and NBC all playing the game. They all figured out that arguing makes them more money. Instead of having factual reporters they have interpretive reporters who interpret the facts for you and tell you what to think. Like children listening to the pied piper people have been lead to an us vs them mindset.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
I call bullsh!t on that comment. We have Fox, CNN, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, and NBC all playing the game. They all figured out that arguing makes them more money. Instead of having factual reporters they have interpretive reporters who interpret the facts for you and tell you what to think. Like children listening to the pied piper people have been lead to an us vs them mindset.
How ironic that it took a violent, lawless insurrection to get the Republicans to call for "unity".

wiscsucks

Reaction score
I think back to a guy I saw at the state fair a couple years ago. He was wearing a Trump shirt that said “Fuck your feelings.” There’s no reasoning with these people, nor is there any need to play nice. Fuck ‘em.
Wow, way to go extremes over a shirt. You must be a pleasant individual.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
I call bullsh!t on that comment. We have Fox, CNN, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, and NBC all playing the game.
So, everyone except who you watch? Got it!

I admit MSNBC is biased and CNN too to a degree but they didn't start out that way. Fox News Channel (not Fox Network News) was the first cable network news channel to blatantly tailor all of its messaging to please a partisan audience. Eventually one or more networks would fill in the gap on the other side. What goes around comes around. Do you finally understand?

You can't corner the market on bullshit forever. Eventually, the other side will become fiercely and unrelentingly partisan and peddle a narrow message to cater to a particular audience. Fox News Channel started the process to where we are today. If they don't change their ways, neither will the others.

RememberMurray

Reaction score

I admit MSNBC is biased and CNN too to a degree but they didn't start out that way. Fox News Channel (not Fox Network News) was the first cable network news channel to blatantly tailor all of its messaging to please a partisan audience. Eventually one or more networks would fill in the gap on the other side. What goes around comes around. Do you finally understand?

You can't corner the market on bullshit forever. Eventually, the other side will become fiercely and unrelentingly partisan and peddle a narrow message to cater to a particular audience. Fox News Channel started the process to where we are today. If they don't change their ways, neither will the others.
FOX has become too liberal for the diehard wing nuts.

Wally

Reaction score
Not really, mainstream media is nothing like fox or rightwing radio.

I can't speak to msnbc, never watched it.

At least Rush won't last much longer, thank god.

Spoofin

Reaction score

Trailblazers. They saw the future.
Who really cares “who started it”? The fact is biased is the way of today - both sides. Your last sentence is naive. Fox could change their ways tomorrow and CNN/MSNBC wouldn’t. Vice Versa. You can’t un-ring that bell. They make more money this way.

howeda7

Reaction score
Republicans don't want unity or to make amends, they want to be exonerated of their crimes without penalty or onus of reconciliation. That's not how healing works.
They can have unity when they either leave the Republican party or successfully kick the Trump cult out of the Republican party. Until then, they're complicit.

MennoSota

Reaction score

No doubt Fox lead the way. I don't disagree. My point is that they all recognized it was a great way to increase viewership and get rich.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
No doubt Fox lead the way. I don't disagree. My point is that they all recognized it was a great way to increase viewership and get rich.
So... unbiased reporting no longer exists, anywhere?

I reject that assumption. With just a little effort, some common sense, and a modicum of education, a reasonable person can usually (not always) sort through the noise, and ascertain what is and what is not reliably news, vs. spin and propaganda.

Corroboration. Multiple, reliable sources. Weighing of hard evidence.

Also, it's important to understand the difference between hard reporting and editorial (opinion) content. Most reliable news sources label editorial/opinion content as such.

MennoSota

Reaction score

I reject that assumption. With just a little effort, some common sense, and a modicum of education, a reasonable person can usually (not always) sort through the noise, and ascertain what is and what is not reliably news, vs. spin and propaganda.

Also, it's important to understand the difference between hard reporting and editorial (opinion) content. Most reliable news sources label editorial/opinion content as such.
You jumped the shark.
Mainstream media uses interpretive reporting. Just watch the reporting. They are constantly interpreting events.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
You jumped the shark.
Mainstream media uses interpretive reporting. Just watch the reporting. They are constantly interpreting events.
"Interpretive reporting"?

I think you may have "jumped the shark" when you used the "mainstream media" cliche/meme. You betrayed a bias.

ecoperson

Reaction score

More information than anyone likely cares to get into but here's a Poynter article about the media bias charts that you see online. As you might imagine, there is more to the story, but at least you can see the basic philosophy behind the two most popular charts.

https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/media-literacy/2020/should-you-trust-media-bias-charts/

RememberMurray

Reaction score

ecoperson

Reaction score
Does the person or persons who design the criteria for the charts have a bias?
That's pretty much the point... everyone has a bias of some sort but they try different methodologies to buffer that with a set of reviewers with diverse opinions. It seems like they could easily devise a computer program that could analyze these media sources to determine how often they use certain words or phrases.

To use an example from the OTB, when the program sees that bb alternates 'libtard' with 'Kum-ala' in every other post, for example, that qualifies them as both ultra conservative and completely unreliable as a news source.

Top Bottom