Call for Unity

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score
Sleepy Joe, making his 'call for unity' during one of his recent speeches. Normally, heck yeah, 100% on board. In this case....

Imagine you have a friend, co-worker, maybe a family member who just spent the last 4 years calling you every filthy disgusting name in the book; racist, bigot, white supremacist, Nazi sympathizer, "deplorables", more recently Joe's "Chumps", etc. And I mean REPEATEDLY, non-stop, 24/7, calling you every nasty, filthy, unmentionable name in the book, for over 4 years.

Now that person says "Hey, it's a new day, we're all good!!"

Makes sense?

Personally, I'm willing to give the demented one the benefit of the doubt if he shows that he can stand his ground against the lunatic far left and try to govern for the masses. I hope/think he can do that, but we'll see before too long

ecoperson

Reaction score
Sleepy Joe, making his 'call for unity' during one of his recent speeches. Normally, heck yeah, 100% on board. In this case....

Imagine you have a friend, co-worker, maybe a family member who just spent the last 4 years calling you every filthy disgusting name in the book; racist, bigot, white supremacist, Nazi sympathizer, "deplorables", more recently Joe's "Chumps", etc. And I mean REPEATEDLY, non-stop, 24/7, calling you every nasty, filthy, unmentionable name in the book, for over 4 years.

Makes sense?

Personally, I'm willing to give the demented one the benefit of the doubt if he shows that he can stand his ground against the lunatic far left and try to govern for the masses. I hope/think he can do that, but we'll see before too long
Nobody called YOU any of those names unless you ARE one of them! Nobody said that EVERY Trump voter WAS one of these types of people. Those terms were used to describe many of the types of people that supported this administration.

The KKK, the white nationalists, and other fringe groups supported Trump and he did nothing to distance himself from that support. He legitimized them because he craves adulation. THOSE are the people who the filthy terms were thrown against. There are 'very fine people on both sides' of the Republican party... I have a ton of them in my family.

The question you have to ask yourself is whether YOU support the fringe groups who espouse hate. IF you do, then you may have been lumped in with the derisive comments. If NOT, then you're good... you're just a normal Republican who believes in America but leans towards a different economic and social philosophy than others in this country. Unity is for all of the moderates... 90% of each party who are willing to put country ahead of themselves.

GopherJake

Reaction score

Makes sense?

As an aside, when I read ShillGA's "congratulations President-elect Biden" OP, PD's OP above is a paraphrase of the resultant tone from my reading between the lines of the former's OP. I'll give PD credit for being transparent and not a deceitful lying shill.

Blizzard

Reaction score
Nobody called YOU any of those names unless you ARE one of them! Nobody said that EVERY Trump voter WAS one of these types of people. Those terms were used to describe many of the types of people that supported this administration.

The KKK, the white nationalists, and other fringe groups supported Trump and he did nothing to distance himself from that support. He legitimized them because he craves adulation. THOSE are the people who the filthy terms were thrown against. There are 'very fine people on both sides' of the Republican party... I have a ton of them in my family.

The question you have to ask yourself is whether YOU support the fringe groups who espouse hate. IF you do, then you may have been lumped in with the derisive comments. If NOT, then you're good... you're just a normal Republican who believes in America but leans towards a different economic and social philosophy than others in this country. Unity is for all of the moderates... 90% of each party who are willing to put country ahead of themselves.
Seriously. Tell that to people who were beat up by strangers for simply wearing a hat.

Wally

Reaction score

Makes sense?

Civil War!!!!

ecoperson

Reaction score
Seriously. Tell that to people who were beat up by strangers for simply wearing a hat.
That is terrible stuff. Give me some context. Who did this happen to? Where were they at? How prevalent were these sorts of attacks? Was this just like a Gopher fan at a bar in Madison type of crap or widespread? If this attack was unprovoked, I hope the attackers get what's coming to them. They are a poor excuse of a human being.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
I don't remember Joe Biden ever saying stuff like this. Now, some of us may have said things like this but Biden seems to avoid this sort of thing deliberately. If you're not a deplorable or a Nazi sympathizer, then comments like that don't apply to you. If you are, then we're not going to forfeit our rights to call you out on that. You have a right to your beliefs and we have a right to criticize them if we think they stink.

You've been suffering through this for four years? Tough. We've been suffering through this kind of shit for more than twenty years - ever since the dawn of Gingrich, Limbaugh, the hard core right wing Christian media and it's only intensified since. We've been trashed for so long that we've lost all sensitivity to it. Now, you're the overly sensitive "snowflakes."

ecoperson

Reaction score
Here is an interesting read from Penn Jillette of Penn and Teller fame... a notable NON-Democrat.

"Penn Jillette: You have one job, Joe

Okay, so it's not over, there will be court fights, but Joe has won. I used to identify as Libertarian, I used to have opinions on government. I used to think I disagreed with Joe Biden on most everything, but I voted for him. I wanted the other guy fired and I wanted Joe hired and for me the job description is now very simple. I need Joe to love all the Trump supporters. I don't care if Joe raises taxes. I don't care if Joe helps add stupid, counterproductive regulations. I don't care about anything except love and kindness.

I've never seen Joe as a hero, but now we need a Nelson Mandela. We need MLK. And it needs to be Joe. We need someone who can love the people who hated him and lied about him. He must rise to the occasion.

Half the country voted for Trump. These people did not buy a pig in a poke like in 2016, these were people who knew what they were voting for and voted anyway. It's appalling and horrifying, but these people are not monsters. These people are our neighbors and our relatives. These people are us, and we need someone who can teach us to love them again.

Joe started saying the right things already, but he has to go all the way. Please, Joe, make me embarrassed to say anything bad about Trump supporters. Please fill all our hearts with love for each other. Please. This is Joe's chance to have the situation make him better than he has any right to be. Please teach us to love and understand and move on together.

You have one job, Joe -- love all of us."

I hope that we can get back to a country where we are above all fighting for the country and not our self interest. That doesn't mean we can't bemoan policies and decisions resulting from the other side. It does mean that we have to strive to make this less personal. I trust Joe will put every effort into serving all of its citizens and not just a rabid base of followers like 45 has done.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Here is an interesting read from Penn Jillette of Penn and Teller fame... a notable NON-Democrat.

Okay, so it's not over, there will be court fights, but Joe has won. I used to identify as Libertarian, I used to have opinions on government. I used to think I disagreed with Joe Biden on most everything, but I voted for him. I wanted the other guy fired and I wanted Joe hired and for me the job description is now very simple. I need Joe to love all the Trump supporters. I don't care if Joe raises taxes. I don't care if Joe helps add stupid, counterproductive regulations. I don't care about anything except love and kindness.

I've never seen Joe as a hero, but now we need a Nelson Mandela. We need MLK. And it needs to be Joe. We need someone who can love the people who hated him and lied about him. He must rise to the occasion.

Half the country voted for Trump. These people did not buy a pig in a poke like in 2016, these were people who knew what they were voting for and voted anyway. It's appalling and horrifying, but these people are not monsters. These people are our neighbors and our relatives. These people are us, and we need someone who can teach us to love them again.

Joe started saying the right things already, but he has to go all the way. Please, Joe, make me embarrassed to say anything bad about Trump supporters. Please fill all our hearts with love for each other. Please. This is Joe's chance to have the situation make him better than he has any right to be. Please teach us to love and understand and move on together.

I hope that we can get back to a country where we are above all fighting for the country and not our self interest. That doesn't mean we can't bemoan policies and decisions resulting from the other side. It does mean that we have to strive to make this less personal. I trust Joe will put every effort into serving all of its citizens and not just a rabid base of followers like 45 has done.
That's a nice essay but it's unfair to Joe Biden, or any president for that matter, to expect one person to be able to unite the country. It's enough for a president to treat all people with a strong sense of fairness and avoid fanning the flames of division (like Trump did) to whatever extent possible. If there is going to be any movement toward unification, the American people themselves are responsible for that.

Reserve

Reaction score

This from Penn Jillette the noted Atheist. As Spock would say - Fascinating.

ecoperson

Reaction score
This from Penn Jillette the noted Atheist. As Spock would say - Fascinating.
What's your point? He has also been a strong supporter of Republican policies in the past. He sees this election for what it is... a return to putting country first versus focusing on rewarding those who voted for me and doing everything possible to ensure those who didn't are punished.

ecoperson

Reaction score
That's a nice essay but it's unfair to Joe Biden, or any president for that matter, to expect one person to be able to unite the country. It's enough for a president to treat all people with a strong sense of fairness and avoid fanning the flames of division (like Trump did) to whatever extent possible. If there is going to be any movement toward unification, the American people themselves are responsible for that.
The people decide the moral code but obviously our leaders set the stage. I think Penn is just saying that Biden should lead with that as his compass. I would add that we should expect all of our leaders to seek unity. Those who don't should not get our vote. The current administration has clearly sought to divide... the people have spoken. I worry about those who voted for Trump despite his divisiveness.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
I don't remember Joe Biden ever saying stuff like this. Now, some of us may have said things like this but Biden seems to avoid this sort of thing deliberately. If you're not a deplorable or a Nazi sympathizer, then comments like that don't apply to you. If you are, then we're not going to forfeit our rights to call you out on that. You have a right to your beliefs and we have a right to criticize them if we think they stink.

You've been suffering through this for four years? Tough. We've been suffering through this kind of shit for more than twenty years - ever since the dawn of Gingrich, Limbaugh, the hard core right wing Christian media and it's only intensified since. We've been trashed for so long that we've lost all sensitivity to it. Now, you're the overly sensitive "snowflakes."
YOUR party labeled and promoted division - DEPLORABLES! Own it

Reserve

Reaction score
What's your point? He has also been a strong supporter of Republican policies in the past. He sees this election for what it is... a return to putting country first versus focusing on rewarding those who voted for me and doing everything possible to ensure those who didn't are punished.
My point ecoperson, as a Christian, is that I believe the only person that can bring about the change that Penn Jillett is seeking is Jesus Christ.

It appears to me that:

Please fill all our hearts with love for each other. Please. This is Joe's chance to have the situation make him better than he has any right to be. Please teach us to love and understand and move on together.

That Penn, the atheist, is attempting to impute those qualities that Jesus has upon Joe Biden.

I find that fascinating. :)

cjbfbp

Reaction score
YOUR party labeled and promoted division - DEPLORABLES! Own it
Long before the term "deplorables" was used, we heard DemoRats, Libtards, Moonbats, Squishes, Traitors, and a few more I no longer remember applied to us for most of the 20th century. Your side had an entire publication industry devoted to little else but trashing us (for example, see any one of Ann Coulter's books). I won't even get into talk radio. And the people on your side lapped that up for decades. There probably never were so many multi-millionaires created in such a short period of time from doing nothing but trashing people who vote on the other side.

Now you want us to play nice. I have only one thing to say to that: YOU FIRST!

cjbfbp

Reaction score
That Penn, the atheist, is attempting to impute those qualities that Jesus has upon Joe Biden.
Jesus doesn't interfere in the earthly activities of humans. If he did, we would not have had the Holocaust. So, we have to rely on human leaders to do their best.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Long before the term "deplorables" was used, we heard DemoRats, Libtards, Moonbats, Squishes, Traitors, and a few more I no longer remember applied to us for most of the 20th century. Your side had an entire publication industry devoted to little else but trashing us (for example, see any one of Ann Coulter's books). I won't even get into talk radio. And the people on your side lapped that up for decades. There probably never were so many multi-millionaires created in such a short period of time from doing nothing but trashing people who vote on the other side.

Now you want us to play nice. I have only one thing to say to that: YOU FIRST!
Play nice? I know you and your party better. YOU and YOUR PARTY are the demise of civility and promoters of division.

scools12

Reaction score

Makes sense?
No it doesn’t make sense.

Biden’s calls for unity will fall on deaf ears and rightfully so. It isn’t happening and that’s all on the liberals.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
My point ecoperson, as a Christian, is that I believe the only person that can bring about the change that Penn Jillett is seeking is Jesus Christ.

It appears to me that:

My girlfriend has a lovely red wool sweater with 13 brass buttons. Since her breast augmentation surgery, she can only fascinate.

stocker08

Reaction score

It appears to me that:

ROFL.

stocker08

Reaction score
No it doesn’t make sense.

Biden’s calls for unity will fall on deaf ears and rightfully so. It isn’t happening and that’s all on the liberals.
Biden will be decent to everyone....but the right has developed Trump cultism. Hardcore righties will continue to be terrible in general.

Top Bottom